Customize

Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Yes! Do let's.
  2. new guy Member

That was meh.
    I think its fine,so i say go with it.
  3. Anonymous Member

The version on the wiki still needs Notes For Editors completing

and i'm going to bed.
  4. WagTheWog Member

Making a video of this too I saw earlier itt?
    Just reminding Anons of WWP Animated Logo GFX available (see my sig), if the hive mind feels they are usable.
  5. fisherman Member

What's on the wiki IS "Gertrude" v2.4. -- I just wanted to double-clarify that

I stuck her their this afternoon. The only changes I made are those discussed and vetted on the board. What's on the wiki is the text OP and everyone else has worked on throughout the day.

I'll go back and add "Gertrude V2.4" to the wiki somewhere for reference.
  6. fisherman Member

Yes, this is correct. I'm happy to add them if folks would like.
  7. Anonymous Member

I think you think I'm the OP, although I'm not the OP, but I have been cat-herding throughout the day. I named Gertrude. :)

Just for clarity there.

Still need to do Notes For Editors.

Now I really am going to bed.
  8. Anonymous Member

Please.
  9. new guy Member

10. timthephoto Member

there's no way that text on the wiki can be used for a "David" vid, he's too robotic to go quoting people - that text is far more suitable for the AnonyNews Team to do.

what if i used the wiki text as description (and link back to it) in a longer/improved YT?
  11. WagTheWog Member

Use different voices for the quotes. Here's an example of that (go to 1 minute in and 4:15 in):

12. Anonymous Member

I think many of the mentions of "Scientology" in the press release should be changed to "the Church of Scientology".
  13. Anonymous Member

worth doing.

use of quotes -> more active speech -> better copy
  14. Anonymous Member

nonono! specifically avoided use of "Church". because they aren't. we don't have to use their language to describe themselves.
  15. Anon123456 Member

this.

although i dont fully support defending the cult, you guys are doing good work. now pull the trigger.
  16. fisherman Member

Maybe David could introduce himself, read the press release, and then do his "expect us" closing spiel? IDK, film is not my area.

"Gertrude" was developed to be a written statement and does reflect the ideas everyone thought were important. Anything transferred to film probably shouldn't stray from those basic points. I don't know how you make her "sound good" -- but I see no reason Gertrude couldn't expand upon or elaborate on the main points outlined.

Ultimately, if it doesn't sound good, I guess the words will have to change. So long as they express the same points, that should be okay -- imo.

I've added lings to the wiki under "Press Reports & Notes." If anyone sees others that are needed, just post them in this thread and I'll "pick 'em up."

BTW: I don't know who OP is. OP stepped out in the afternoon. Since I was home all day, I followed the thread and wound up "copy/pasta".
  17. timthephoto Member

in cepstral i have david & alison, on at&t's site there's a demo but not many of the voices are any good. and they'd all sound crap on this type of text, also i've done trials before where i used cepstral voices as news-anchor & actual ppl talking, the effect was so shit i didn't even make it into a vid.

tl:dr = not enuff decent voices

what's wrong in having different written & video announcements btw? in the meantime i'll pm the anonynews team with a link to this thread
  18. Anonymous Member

Can anyone call gregg? He hasn't been on wwp for 3 weeks and it would be good to get the press release sent out soon
  19. Anonymous Member

Will see what I can do.
  20. Anonymous Member

Looks good to me. Fire the gertrude i say!
  21. Anonymous Member

See every other press release we've issued concerning the Church of Scientology. "Scientology" isn't an organisation.
  22. Rockyj Member

23. Anonymous Member

We'll have to do this one on our own kids.

I just been told that we won't get help from the chanology leaders for this one.
  24. RightOn Member

can you also ask him if he can look at the PM I sent about the list going over 1000 names while you have his ear? I sent him a copy of the release, it was already written.

It would be GREATLY appreciated.:)
  25. fisherman Member

Tim,

IMHO, there's no reason you can't have different versions of copy for text and video. They are different mediums, after all. I only feel strongly that the message should be the same in both.

If you run down the six paragraphs of the written version and make the same points, I don't have any problem with it.

Preface: Anonymous intro, who we are, protest Scientology around the world, etc.

Paragraph 1 & 2 Anonymous advocates international free speech. Ironically, despite Anonymous' desire to see an end to Scientology -- we must "denounce" Russia's recent ban on L. Ron Hubbard's works.

Paragraph 3. As one has said, "Because I disagree with everything in Dianetics, I fully support Scientology's right to publish it freely and to make it available to everyone"

Paragraph 4. We believe people all over the world should be able to read the Scientology literature and discover the absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion. Scientology is a dangerous cult and a threat to society. It's greatest threat is to its own members.

Paragraph 5. Scientology now a billion-dollar multinational corporation, was invented in 1952 by Lafayette Hubbard, a science-fiction writer whose works include "Typewriters In The Sky", "Beyond The Black Nebula" and "This Ship Kills!" -- elaborate as necessary

Paragraph 6. Russian authorities have banned 28 of Hubbard's books claiming they promote (we quote) "crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and contain "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology."
    The Russian authorities claim that Hubbard works "...have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred."

Paragraph 7. Anonymous believes censorship can only draw more attention to Scientology. We believe all Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate. We support the publication of Scientology's secret texts on the internet. Texts for which the cult charges its followers up to $500,000.

Ending: "Knowledge Is Free" and that whole bit

We can work on this some more, but it carries all the main points. There's no reason the video version can't be fleshed out to make it more conversational and more natural in speaking tone.
  26. Rockyj Member

Agreed! I'm still a page or so behind but almost caught up. More postings! Shit!
    I'll just take another another shot, no problem.
  27. fisherman Member

Well, I guess it's up. I didn't see that while I was writing.

So now how do we get "Gertrude" out on the street?
  28. Rockyj Member

There are no leaders A-hole!
  29. Anonymous Member

You're not a fast one now aren't you?
  30. Anonymous Member

Is marblecaek really out? Who told you that?
    If true
    /r/ the massive mailing list and how to send it without getting spam filtered
  31. Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Scientology without it's members does not exist. We do not let CO$ define us, we define ourselves. The tech does not work on us for we have found the immunization against the AIDS. We are dealing with brainwashing, one which aims to stop critical thinking in the adherents. We need the tools to combat this if we are to communicate to those that are brainwashed and hence take power away from CO$. Scientology without it's members does not exist. Tactical lulz is the tool.
  32. timthephoto Member

there's also no reson why we can't have the same version either

the style of the text requested and the style of David just don't go, as soon as you get into "specifics" david just becomes annoying, alison is even worse on so many words it's not even funny re-wording stuff just so she can say it

i have PM'd AnonyNews on YT, no reply yet, but it's like 5am in germany just now.
    give it 12 hours or so from now and we may hear from them
  33. Rockyj Member

Was being facetious dick head.
  34. TinyDancer Member

If you PM the final version to gregg, he will release it to the monster list of press contacts.

He's expecting a PM and will do it Friday night.
  35. grumpus Member

<3 TD.
  36. Anonymous Member

Not like its any better.. but if we were to go along the lines of mr. hicks, the above would be better.

took a 4 hr nap.
  37. Anonymous Member

rofl ................................ oh you!!!
  38. Anonymous Member

this press release ties in freedom of speech and scientology in a neat little package. i like.
  39. Anonymous Member

At a glance I thought this thread title said Anon Condoms

eng_condoms_BM_Baye_781392g.jpg
  40. Anonymous Member

condoms may prevent the spread of aids. that will never do.