Customize

Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2010.

1. fisherman Member

2. JohnnyRUClear Member

Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Sorry to be so dumbly late here, but:

How could so many of you approve of the statement that "Anonymous, the internet activist group, supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech. Founded to oppose censorship by Scientology, the group supports open access to information."? Stab yourself in the head immediately, every one of you. Anonymous is not a "group" and was not "founded" to oppose anything. It was not founded at all.

STUPID STUPID STUPID

Otherwise, not bad.
  3. Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Anon needs to get his head around who is trolling who.
  4. ObamAnon Member

Good point, I think this is a case of "not seeing the forrest because of the trees". In the future, we should look at any proposed "statement" or "release", and ask ourselves if it contains the same mistakes. Live and learn.

I dont see any reason why it cant be edited and reused in the future, if others want to continue to distribute it as needed.
  5. fisherman Member

While a more descriptive word might have been chosen "the hive" -- Anonymous -- is a group.

Your brilliance was obviously not part of the hive on the days the statement was vetted by more than a dozen anons. Had you been there, you might even have found that no one liked or approved your suggestion. With trolls bashing away and legitimate disagreement taking place, getting any kind of consensus was very difficult.

I love anonymous and everything it stands for, but for all the abstract beauty of the "hive," it's not well structured to produce press releases. That's why they stuck young Thomas Jefferson in a corner to write the Declaration of Independence.

If Anonymous had standing correspondence committees, the kind of stylistic oversight you point to would be much less likely. The melee of a board thread, just doesn't lend itself to contemplative composition.

I didn't write the release, but I did post it to the wiki. IMO, the OP of the press release thread did a fine job "herding the cats" but it was chaotic. Interestingly, the "list of ex-scios" press release was created by a de facto committee with a de facto chairman. it is tighter and more refined, which I think proves my point.

On the days the press release was worked on, many felt that "time was of the essence" and that it needed to be completed before COS responded to the Russian ban. True or not, that was the consensus. Under the circumstances that existed at the time, I think the press release came out astonishingly well.

I have no objection to your criticism, but you know what they say about hindsight and "Monday morning quarterbacks..."

Just to show that my heart is the right place -- FIFY -- Now you can quit bitchin' and do something, send it out!

http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/"Don't_Ban_Books"_-_Anonymous_Condemns_Russian_Censorship

BTW: "Group" was not the best word choice, but it wasn't "wrong." You might have noticed the clever use of member quotations to mitigate the "groupiness" quotient. OP contributed that, but I have no idea who that is.
  6. Anonymous Member

^ this.
  7. WagTheWog Member

All of these endeavors are chaotic and difficult. I helped a tiny-bit on the Vulture Ministers in Haiti video, and that was cra-zaa-zie.

It's a testament to the Anons involved in any of these group efforts that content gets not only created, but created in a timely fashion.

And what else would you call Anonymous than a "group"? A collective? A movement? I guess you could call it a "decentralized-group" or some such thing . . .
  8. Anonymous Member

Is more than a dozen now a quorum. What happened to >9000? Down to >9?

If anyone reads this press release (which I doubt) they will think we have taken leave of our collective senses.

The Russians will never know and if they do they won't care.

What the Russian government does in Russia to control Scientology is not our problem.
  9. fisherman Member

It was vetted by whoever showed up to participate. Very few anons get involved in any of these collective activities, >9 is "good turnout." When did it ever require the agreement of ">9000" to proceed with anything?

The critique of the word "group" was reasonable -- but presented in an unreasonable manner. Now that language and stylistic oversight is corrected. Did you read the corrected text? Or are you just trolling?

"Don't Ban Books" - Anonymous Condemns Russian Censorship - Why We Protest Wiki
  10. Random guy Member

This is a press release, not a scientific paper. The term "group" is simple and well understood, and convey the basic facts without going into too much details. The subject here is not to describe the history and nature of Anonymous.
  11. AnonKat Member

"Anonymous, the internet activist collective, supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech. Spawned(or erected lol) to oppose censorship by Scientology, the collective supports open access to information."?
  12. fisherman Member

13. theLastAnon Member

^^^^^^^^^^MOTHER FUCKING THIS.

(and WTW, you did much more than "a tiny-bit")
  14. grumpus Member

^
  15. Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Who cares what you sign it as or wether anon is called a group or not. Who is taking themselves a bit too srsly?
  16. fisherman Member

Isupeon,

It's not an uncommon Anon affliction. ;)

Can you imagine the impact if all us nit-pickers took two minutes to send it out to a media source in our area with a covering letter?
  17. Anonymous Member

People think Press Release is crazy.

They say: I thought you were trying to get Scientology banned? This is WIN!!.

People think Anon has been trolled.
  18. JohnnyRUClear Member

Interest in Anonymous is exploding. Our stats are zooming; our forums are booming. Look at all the web hits!!
  19. Anonymous Member

In public relations, the Russia ban is WIN for the cult.