Customize

Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Let's do this!

Some background info...

AFP: Russia bans texts by Scientology founder

Scientology Writings Banned as Extremist | News | The Moscow Times

Russia Bans Scientology Writings on Basis of Extremism : The Other Russia
  2. WagTheWog Member

Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Oh yes.

2h3zay8.gif
  3. RavenEyes Member

No.
  4. iaxiloll Member

I am not so sure, the book banning thing is wrong but it does freeze one source of revenue for the cult.
  5. grumpus Member

I like it. Careful wording will be needed, but... yeah. Is OP working on a first draft?

The other thing, as the post above me illustrates, is that there's not exactly a consensus on it. But when is there ever? ;p
  6. Anonymous Member

Banning cult books is pretty silly. I prefer they just require literature be included with each purchase that exposes all the cults scams.

However, let the cult figure it out. It's their shitty PR bullshit that got them into this situation.
  7. Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

This is full of win. This will send a clear message to all what we are about.
  8. nonames Member

exactly. russia will not lift the ban because anonymous says so. So it'll stay a gesture showing that anonymous is against censorship whatsoever. --> win
  9. iaxiloll Member

^^^ And of course no one will ever read this. facepalm jpg.
  10. Anonymous Member

Sorry, sounds too freezoner to me.
  11. Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

those that need to read it will read it.
  12. Consensus Member

I think banning the books is wrong. And I don't think a press release saying we (whomever that may or may not include) will achieve anything. It won't be seen by anyone. It won't go viral or whatever.

But I still want it done. I want it written, and not as an announcement of any sort of consensus wherein 'Anonymous' condemns the action... but more of an argument for why it's wrong stated as solidly as it can be, a group effort.

And, at the same time, I'd have no objection to those in favor of this ban doing the same.

Either way, avoid cheerleading or attention-begging. Clarify your position, don't make it sound like you speak for everyone (but you can still say 'Anonymous' - that's the nice thing about Anon!), and just... give a solid, reasoned argument that stands (or falters) on its own.

Hell, might mention the southpark censorship (keeping in mind we don't know for sure what's actually going on with it at the moment - it's almost like it was engineered just to raise the issue, rather than either side really taking a hard stand) as a 'for example.' Just sayin'.
  13. Hicks Member

Because I totally disagree with everything in dianetics, I fully support their right to publish it freely and to make it available to everyone.

I think this is the best thing to come out of ''that other thread''.

And no, I'm still not sleeping. FUCK!
  14. Anonymous Member

Fuck the Freezone. They're just a bunch brainwashed Hubbard wannabes. This has nothing to do with them.

I worry that a long time ago that chanology became a freezone wet dream but whether or not I liked that; knowledge is free.

Coming out against the Russian book banning only works in favor of chanology (the original spirit) and its funny as hell with the the CoS trying to paint chanology as the KKK or some other extremist group.

(BTW - nothing to do with chanology, but Putin loves to fuck with the freedoms the Russian have recently found. Putin and his regime keep chipping away at them. Take a look at articles about freedom of the press in the Russian Federation and try not to puke. Great justice all around)
  15. Anonymous Member

Exactly this!

16. Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

We either make a stand against the suppression of information or we don't. That's all this is about first and foremost.

This kind of thing just proves the whole psyches ruling the world mind trip thing that is embedded in the scientologists brain. If we can subvert that point with a trigger, which does not compute, then it starts to dissolve because it doesn't register with the (un)reality implanted. This is what L R knew as a doubt condition. So if he was afraid of the doubt condition, then why don't we encourage it further? Meanwhile press feeding on scitroll can be given dox to contrary. It is fodder. It is good fodder. Please proceed.
  17. Hicks Member

I rest my case
  18. STC_sock Member

I support the classification of these books as extremist material. Dianetics tells people not to obey the country's law - see Cult of Scientology is Bad

I suppose I'll get infracted for that.

If Russia can ban South Park, then they can sure as hell ban Hubbard.
  19. Hicks Member

My point was made, do not worry about any more infractions for speaking your mind. Please see my other post for clarification.

We do not need any more drama now ;)
  20. Anonymous Member

inb4 Putin sez "Leave Hubbard to me"
  21. AnonKat Member

I agree with you to take the moral high ground on this.

[IMG]
  22. auchraw Member

So can I ignore the infraction you gave me for speaking my mind?

I don't approve of banning books. On the other hand I approve very much of removing the oil from the Scientology machine.
  23. AnonKat Member

In that light I support the classification of your thoughts as extremist too.
  24. Anonymous Member

Here is a draft, please criticize and edit it:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anonymous condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - The anti-Scientology collective known as Anonymous condemns the banning of Scientology literature in Russia.

Russian authorities have ruled that 28 books and lectures by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology...[1] According to Russian prosecutors "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred". Anonymous agrees with this assessment but condemns the banning of literature as a matter of principle. All Scientology materials should be freely available and open to discussion and criticism.

Scientology literature and official policy documents incite Scientologists to use any means to destroy perceived enemies of Scientology. Eleven Scientology leaders were convicted for crimes committed as part of Scientology's organized infiltration of U.S. Government agencies during the 1970s [3]. L. Ron Hubbard authorized the use of mass murder as a method of achieving Scientology's goal of "clearing the planet". In "Science of Survival", one of Scientology's basic books, Hubbard writes "There are only two answers for the handling of people from 2.0 down on the tone scale, neither one of which has anything to do with reasoning with them or listening to their justification of their acts. The first is to raise them on the tone scale... The other is to dispose of them quietly and without sorrow... The sudden and abrupt deletion of all individuals occupying the lower bands of the tone scale from the social order would result in an almost instant rise in the cultural tone and would interrupt the dwindling spiral into which any society may have entered. It is not necessary to produce a world of clears in order to have a reasonable and worthwhile social order; it is only necessary to delete those individuals who range from 2.0 down... A Venezuelan dictator once decided to stop leprosy. He saw that most lepers in his country were also beggars. By the simple expedient of collecting and destroying all the beggars in Venezuela an end was put to leprosy in that country." [4]

Censorship is not the appropriate response to Scientology's extremist ideology. Exposure and criticism of Scientology's teachings will do more to raise awareness and prevent more people from being harmed by the Scientology organization.

[1] Agence France-Presse. Russia bans texts by Scientology founder. April 21, 2010
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j4yaEA5kzG3jYW-C4nSnpXk9qwfw

[2] Scott Rose. The Moscow Times. Scientology Writings Banned as Extremist. April 22, 2010
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/scientology-writings-banned-as-extremist/404475.html

[3] United States vs. Mary Sue Hubbard et al., 493 F. Supp. 209 (United States District Court for the District of Columbia, 1979)

[4] L. Ron Hubbard. Science of Survival: Prediction of Human Behavior. 2007 edition. Bridge Publications. Los Angeles, CA. pp183-184.

The statement released by Russian prosecutors in Surgut may be accessed at http://genproc.gov.ru/news/news-11797/
  25. Hicks Member

Made a few corrections as not everyone agrees, just changed the wording a bit, otherwise nice draft. Let me know what you think.
  26. Anonymous Member

I think the emphases should be on the censorship topic this time. And the information on Scilon cult should come as add on: brief but strong
  27. Random guy Member

I would like it a bit less dry. Would it be an idea to point out that Anonymous share the cults wish to better the world, and that we offer to help host the material online, so that people can read the texts for them selves and stay away from the cult? Offering to host is not the same as breaking copyright, and it would get the point across that these texts do indeed not look good in the light of day, and that the cult itself is very much into censorship. Should the cult actually give an answer our offer, it will be a footbullt to them no matter how they word it.
  28. Anonymous Member

^^ this. Needs a punchier start.

how about something like:

Anonymous strongly supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech; people all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's made-up religion, a dangerous cult which has become a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members.
  29. Anonymous Member

s/made-up religion/phony religion/
  30. AnonyVix Member

I'd rather see the organisation censured rather than the literature, which I agree should be freely available.

The problems are with the organisation and its actions not the beliefs, although to some degree some of the ideals are part of the problem, much in the way that the ideals of the KKK are part of the problem with the group.
  31. Anonymous Member

That's great!
  32. Anonymous Member

thank you! I was aiming for a more tabloid style. If others agree that this is the right tone to use then I can continue in the same vein...
  33. Anonymous Member

very much so, indeed
  34. Anonymous Member

current draft:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anonymous activists condemn Russia's banning of Scientology books

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - Anonymous strongly supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech; people all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion, a dangerous cult which has become a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members.

Russian authorities have ruled that 28 books and lectures by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." [1] According to Russian prosecutors "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred" [2]. While we agree with this assessment we condemn the banning of literature as a matter of principle. We believe that all Scientology materials should be freely available and open to discussion and criticism.

Scientology literature and official policy documents incite Scientologists to use any means to destroy perceived enemies of Scientology. Eleven Scientology leaders were convicted for crimes committed as part of Scientology's organized infiltration of U.S. Government agencies during the 1970s [3]. L. Ron Hubbard authorized the use of mass murder as a method of achieving Scientology's goal of "clearing the planet". In "Science of Survival", one of Scientology's basic books, Hubbard writes "There are only two answers for the handling of people from 2.0 down on the tone scale, neither one of which has anything to do with reasoning with them or listening to their justification of their acts. The first is to raise them on the tone scale... The other is to dispose of them quietly and without sorrow... The sudden and abrupt deletion of all individuals occupying the lower bands of the tone scale from the social order would result in an almost instant rise in the cultural tone and would interrupt the dwindling spiral into which any society may have entered. It is not necessary to produce a world of clears in order to have a reasonable and worthwhile social order; it is only necessary to delete those individuals who range from 2.0 down... A Venezuelan dictator once decided to stop leprosy. He saw that most lepers in his country were also beggars. By the simple expedient of collecting and destroying all the beggars in Venezuela an end was put to leprosy in that country." [4]

We do not believe that censorship is the appropriate response to Scientology's extremist ideology. Exposure and criticism of Scientology's teachings will do more to raise awareness and prevent more people from being harmed by the Scientology organization.

[1] Agence France-Presse. Russia bans texts by Scientology founder. April 21, 2010
    AFP: Russia bans texts by Scientology founder

[2] Scott Rose. The Moscow Times. Scientology Writings Banned as Extremist. April 22, 2010
    Scientology Writings Banned as Extremist | News | The Moscow Times

[3] United States vs. Mary Sue Hubbard et al., 493 F. Supp. 209 (United States District Court for the District of Columbia, 1979)

[4] L. Ron Hubbard. Science of Survival: Prediction of Human Behavior. 2007 edition. Bridge Publications. Los Angeles, CA. pp183-184.

The statement released by Russian prosecutors in Surgut may be accessed at Ãåíåðàëüíàÿ ïðîêóðàòóðà ÐÔ | Íîâîñòè
  35. Krytenanon Member

Odd that anon would fight for the rights of $cientology when $cientology would take your rights away in less than a heartbeat. I would never stand up for something that came from such a destructive cruel organization. Apathy should be applied with limits.
  36. OTBT Member

Google Voltaire
  37. Krytenanon Member

Do you have anything a little more up to date than Voltaire? Seriously stick to the 21st century.
  38. Anonymous Member

This is a propaganda game. Now is the time to play
  39. Krytenanon Member

You could have used this to your advantage but I guess stupid anon are stupid.

If it is banned in russia no doubt they will go to the internet to find it. Internet is anon's battleground. Hubbard's literature found on the internet can be found for free and can direct a lot of those russians seeking his writings through Anon websites.

Pros.

1. No income for $cientology
    2. People seeking hubbards writings being informed through anon websites. Inoculation

Cons.

1. Russia gets bad rap for banning books. Not anon... RUSSIA.
  40. Anonymous Member

You're talking as if we aren't doing that... Have you seen the leaks section?

I think the press release is a good way of sending the media an anti-Scientology opinion + projecting an anti-censorship view + there's just something very funny about all this