Customize

PRESS RELEASE: 5/5 Oprah Protest

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Consensus, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Consensus Member

PRESS RELEASE: 5/5 Oprah Protest

got a PM today:
    I'm not too familiar with the oprah situation, so I'm not gunna make a draft - but I'll make the thread and link it in the oprah threads. Don't be shy, have at it! If you don't feel comfortable drafting it, you could write just a paragraph, or summarize what you'd like it to say, or just collect links, sources, and important information. All help is appreciated.
  2. Lrononymous Member

Re: PRESS RELEASE: 5/5 Oprah Protest

Thanks for the help!

Some details. We want to focus on issues that will be most effective with oprah and her audience. This means Disconnection and child abuse.
    The majority of our signs and flyers will be geared toward that. We want to be sure that we are clear oprah herself is not being picketed.

Ideally we should be able to send this out by tomorrow (thursday).

Address is Harpo Studios 1058 W Washington Blvd, Chicago, IL

this is something a chianon came up with. Might be a starting point,

CHICAGO, IL, (INSERT DATE OF DELIVERY HERE): On May 5th, 2008, at 7:00 am and 11:00 am, Oprah Winfrey will be taping her third interview taping with Tom Cruise. As you may know, Tom Cruise is an outspoken advocate for the Church of Scientology. Anonymous has decided to make its presence outside of Harpo Studios, the home of the Oprah Winfrey show on the designated date and times of the interview taping.

Anonymous is a leaderless, worldwide group of concerned citizens opposed to the illegal actions perpetrated by the Church of Scientology under the guise of religious belief.
    Since our campaign began, Anonymous has uncovered or brought into the public eye hundreds of illegal actions, fraudulent activities, and human rights violations perpetrated by the Church of Scientology. We have had three successful worldwide protests in 100 cities, with participation of up to 500 critics of scientology in a single city.
    While our immediate goal for the corrupt Church of Scientology is to have their illegal tax-exempt status rescinded, our ultimate goal is to ensure that they are unable to continue their history of fear tactics, disconnection, and other illegal behavior.
    Keep in mind that this is not an attack against the religion of Scientology. Every person has the right to believe whatever they choose, and we have people from many faiths in our ranks. Religious bigotry is a tactic of Scientology, not of Anonymous. We bear no grudge against the FreeZone, who hold the copyright to the 1934 book "Scientology, Science of the Constitution and Usefulness of Knowledge". This book was released nearly two full decades before the first Hubbard writing with the word Scientology, and contains many of the founding principles of the religion. Our goal is to stop the blatant illegal actions and fear-mongering used by the Church of Scientology.

We are anonymous
    We are legion
    We do not forgive
    We do not forget
    Expect us
  3. TDL Member

Good start. IMO:
    -Change 'in 100 cities' to 'in over 100 cities'
    -Change 'with participation of up to 500 critics of scientology in a single city' to 'with as many as [fill in however many people we had 3/15, or 4/12, whichever one is greater] activists on a single day'. Perhaps fill in date.
    -Change 'Our goal is to stop the blatant illegal actions and fear-mongering used by the Church of Scientology.' to something less attack-full. eliminate 'blatant'. Use something more descriptive/less insulting, if anything, in its place.
    -Eliminate the last bit, with the 'we are anonymous'. You just told them who we are. Especially the 'we do not forgive' bit. That has/will be used against us.
    -Mention peaceful, 'Gandhi-tech' protests

Other than that, I like it. I couldn't write anything that good.
  4. Childe Roland Member

I think you need to explain more about the issues that will matter to those coming to watch the interview, ie the disconnection and the child abuse. If so, the press would be more likely to send a sympathetic reporter, who perhaps might interview one of the audience. A must is to include references and evidence about these actions - the media like to have sources that they can quote, so they don't get blamed for making stuff up.
  5. CVAnonymous Member

CHICAGO, IL, (INSERT DATE OF DELIVERY HERE):

On May 5th, 2008, at 7:00 am and 11:00 am, Oprah Winfrey will be taping the third segment of her two-part interview with Tom Cruise. As you may know, Tom Cruise is an outspoken advocate for the Church of Scientology. Anonymous has decided to make its presence outside of Harpo Studios, the home of the Oprah Winfrey show on the designated date and times of the interview taping.

Anonymous is a leaderless, worldwide group of concerned citizens opposed to the illegal actions perpetrated by Scientology under the guise of religious belief. Since our campaign began, Anonymous has uncovered or brought into the public eye hundreds of illegal actions, fraudulent activities, and human rights violations perpetrated by Scientology. We have held three successful, peaceful protests in over 100 cities worldwide, with over 5,000 participants on April 12.

Each individual involved with Anonymous has different reasons for protesting, different goals in doing so. Most agree that one goal is to have their tax-exempt status rescinded and that the ultimate goal is to ensure that they are unable to continue to work along the lines that they have in the past. Scientology's history of fear tactics, disconnection, and other illegal behavior toward its detractors, critics, and even its own members is well-documented.

This is not an attack against the religion of Scientology. Every person has the right to believe whatever they choose, and we have people from many faiths in our ranks. Religious bigotry is a tactic of Scientology, not of Anonymous. We bear no grudge against the FreeZone, who hold the copyright to the 1934 book "Scientology, Science of the Constitution and Usefulness of Knowledge". This book was released nearly two full decades before the first Hubbard writing with the word Scientology, and contains many of the founding principles of the religion. Our goal is to stop the blatant illegal actions and fear-mongering used by the Church of Scientology.

We ask that Oprah Winfrey and, indeed, the residents of Chicago, join us in questioning the illegal activities of this organization. We would like her to ask real, critical questions of the leaders of Scientology, especially on the questions of disconnection and alleged child labor, coerced abortion and other illegalities.

We would welcome her interviewing some of the long-time critics, such as Mark Bunker or Tory Christman. Jenna Miscavige Hill, niece of David Miscavige, was recently interviewed on ABC's Nightline and can be reached via Ex-Scientology Kids. Her story of disconnection, as well as those of Kendra Wiseman and others are heartbreaking.

For more information on the abuses of scientology, visit Ex-Scientology Kids, XENU TV - Exposing Scientology Through Streaming Video, or simply Google-search for information. For more information on Anonymous, visit Enturbulation.org Scientology Activism and Organization.
  6. Lrononymous Member

Thanks for your input everyone. it's really appreciated
  7. 3rdMan Member

I like these revisions. This one looks really good.
  8. MarcabEmpress Member

You may wish to include the contact numbers for Tory and Mark and URLS for whyweprotest.com and exscientologykids.com. Really awesome press release!
  9. CVAnonymous Member

Thanks, Marcab. I edited the original to include website contacts; don't want to put contact numbers for Tory and Mark on something that a lot of people on here and otherwise might see. That info can be released if a real press person asks for it.
  10. Lrononymous Member

Thanks again everyone working on this. oprah is national news and so is Chanology ;) I think this needs to be sent out everywhere
  11. Consensus Member

He's my draft. I kinda felt it had too much of a conversational tone; It won't step on my toes if you prefer the other version. Just offering some alternative wordings to consider. I thought it needed more of a *bang* at the start, and I was also worried about possible libel where the release asserts that Scientology is guilty of crimes.
    --------------------------------

Tom Cruise will be on the Oprah Winfrey show this week, and Anonymous, a leaderless internet collective that is critical of Scientology, will be there - protesting.

[On May 5th, 2008, at 7:00 am and 11:00 am, Oprah Winfrey will be taping the third segment of her two-part interview with Tom Cruise.]* Cruise is a public member of and advocate for the Church of Scientology. Anonymous has decided to gather outside of Harpo Studios, the home of the Oprah Winfrey show, at the times of the interview taping. Their goal is to educate Oprah on the controversy, in the hopes of persuading her to make a stand herself.

Anonymous has been engaged in a public relations war with the Church since January, when the Church tried to have a video of Tom Cruise pulled from the internet. They have waged a massive campaign to educate the public on the Church of Scientology's Fair Game policy, Disconnection policy, the Sea Org's billion-year contracts, the violation of the Establishment Clause via a preferential Tax Exempt status, and even the presence of highly-carcinogenic blue asbestos on the Scientology cruise ship 'The Freewinds.' They have held peaceful protests in over 100 cities on three separate occasions, with over 5,000 people participating worldwide in their most recent protest on April 12. Another worldwide protest is planned for May 10th.

Each member of Anonymous acts independently, has their own motives - and they all wear masks. This is because of Scientology's well-documented history of extortion, blackmail, disconnection, and intimidation toward its detractors, critics, and even its own members. Anonymous fears that Oprah herself may feel intimidated, and refrain from any public discussion of the controversy.

One Anonymous stated that "We are demonstrating outside of Harpo Studios for two reasons: First, to let Oprah know that we are watching, and will help to publicize any attempts Scientology makes to manipulate or punish her. Second, we want her to know the danger in giving the Church of Scientology uncritical publicity on a show as influential as hers. We hope she will let her audience know that stories of real human rights abuses are very common from former members, and encourage anybody interested in Scientology to research first, both by reading Scientology literature and by reading critical websites like xenu.net."

Anonymous recognizes the freedom of every individual to freely believe as they will - and the inherent right to publicly speak to one's beliefs. Anonymous is not denying Scientologists the right to believe as they do, nor are they trying to persuade them that their religious convictions are wrong. Rather, Anonymous is exposing the pattern of illegal, immoral, and exploitative behavior perpetrated by the Church of Scientology itself.

Another Anonymous expressed this sentiment:

"We ask that Oprah Winfrey and, indeed, the residents of Chicago, join us in questioning the illegal activities of this organization. We would like her to ask real, critical questions of the leaders of Scientology, especially on the questions of disconnection and alleged child labor, coerced abortion and other illegalities.

"We would welcome interviews with long-time critics, such as Mark Bunker or Tory Christman. Jenna Miscavige Hill, niece of David Miscavige, was recently interviewed on ABC's Nightline and can be reached via Ex-Scientology Kids. Her story of disconnection, as well as those of Kendra Wiseman and others are heartbreaking."

For more information on the abuses of scientology, visit Ex-Scientology Kids, XENU TV - Exposing Scientology Through Streaming Video, or simply Google-search for information. For more information on Anonymous, visit Enturbulation.org Scientology Activism and Organization.

###
    --------------------------------------------

*This sentence is confusing. Third segment of two-part series? Why are there two times listed? I'm not following this closely enough to clarify, but that needs to be addressed.

I added a few things that I thought sounded good, but makes it a bit long. I'd encourage pairing it down some. And again, these are just suggestions.
  12. Consensus Member

The press release about the freewinds is going out today, which should take 2 days. The oprah release can go out the 3rd 'n 4th, which would be in time for the protests on the 5th. I suggest we keep working on it until the 3rd. At that time, Chicago anons should fax copies of the press release to local media while it's going out via e-mail to the international list.
  13. CVAnonymous Member

Sounds good.
  14. Re: PRESS RELEASE: 5/5 Oprah Protest

I like your writing style Consensus. Perhaps the fact that Tom might have been exposed on the Cancerwinds (in particular the b-day party) and that he himself is at risk could be more emphazised.

One way to make it shorter is to move the stuff on Anonymous to the bottom.

Make headings such as: About Anonymous and For further information. In fact, these sections could be standarized and tagged on to any of our press releases.

Journo's are used to those standarized sections. They gloss over them if they know what the company/organization is and does (and most know Anonymous by now), but will copypasta it in their articles.

Also, this sentence needs work:
    'Their goal is to educate Oprah on the controversy, in the hopes of persuading her to make a stand herself.' We can't educatie Oprah with the protest, as she is inside taping the show. Also the sentence 'First, to let Oprah know that we are watching, and will help to publicize any attempts Scientology makes to manipulate or punish her.' is not strong. I don't think she needs our help :).

I'll try to incorporate these thoughts in a second post.
  15. Re: PRESS RELEASE: 5/5 Oprah Protest

Well..these would be my version. Disregard if three draft versions is too much.

Tom Cruise will be on the Oprah Winfrey show this week, and Anonymous, a leaderless internet collective that is critical of Scientology, will be there - protesting.

[On May 5th, 2008, at 7:00 am and 11:00 am, Oprah Winfrey will be taping the third segment of her two-part interview with Tom Cruise.]* Cruise is a public member of and advocate for the Church of Scientology. Anonymous has decided to gather outside of Harpo Studios, the home of the Oprah Winfrey show, at the times of the interview taping. Their goal is to educate the general public and the audience of the show about the controversial organization.

One Anonymous stated that "We are demonstrating outside of Harpo Studios because we want Oprah to know the danger in giving the Church of Scientology uncritical publicity on a show as influential as hers. We hope she will let her audience know that stories of real human rights abuses are very common from former members, and encourage anybody interested in Scientology to research first, both by reading Scientology literature and by reading critical websites like xenu.net."

"We ask that Oprah Winfrey and, indeed, the residents of Chicago, (audience?) join us in questioning the illegal activities of this organization. We would like her to ask real, critical questions of the leaders of Scientology, especially on the questions of disconnection and alleged child labor, coerced abortion and other illegalities.

"We would welcome interviews with long-time critics, such as Mark Bunker or Tory Christman. Jenna Miscavige Hill, niece of David Miscavige, was recently interviewed on ABC's Nightline and can be reached via Ex-Scientology Kids. Her story of disconnection, as well as those of Kendra Wiseman and others are heartbreaking."

During the protest, Anonymous will also draw attention to the health risks that many members, including Tom Cruise, have been exposed to on the Scientology cruise ship MV Freewinds, which has been found to contain high levels of highly-carcinogenic blue asbestos. In our press release of .... we underline that senior Church management was notified of these health risks 21 years ago but choose not to undertake appropriate action.

About Anonymous
    Anonymous has been engaged in a public relations war with the Church since January, when the Church tried to have a video of Tom Cruise pulled from the internet. They have waged a massive campaign to educate the public on the Church of Scientology's Fair Game policy, Disconnection policy, the Sea Org's billion-year contracts and the violation of the Establishment Clause via a preferential Tax Exempt status. They have held peaceful protests in over 100 cities on three separate occasions, with over 5,000 people participating worldwide in their most recent protest on April 12. Another worldwide protest is planned for May 10th.

Each member of Anonymous acts independently, has their own motives - and they all wear masks. This is because of Scientology's well-documented history of extortion, blackmail, disconnection, and intimidation toward its detractors, critics, and even its own members.

Anonymous recognizes the freedom of every individual to freely believe as they will - and the inherent right to publicly speak to one's beliefs. Anonymous is not denying Scientologists the right to believe as they do, nor are they trying to persuade them that their religious convictions are wrong. Rather, Anonymous is exposing the pattern of illegal, immoral, and exploitative behavior perpetrated by the Church of Scientology itself.

[link to press release about Freewinds needs to be added]

###
  16. 3rdMan Member

Consensus: Very nice work. I've made the correction on that first sentence you mentioned. Oprah is doing a three part interview with Tom Cruise, this will be the third she'll be taping. The prior two were in different locations, I believe. I could be wrong, though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On May 5th, 2008, at 7:00 am and 11:00 am, Oprah Winfrey will be taping the third segment of her three-part interview with Tom Cruise. Cruise is a public member of and advocate for the Church of Scientology. Anonymous has decided to gather outside of Harpo Studios, the home of the Oprah Winfrey show, at the times of the interview taping. Their goal is to educate Oprah on the controversy, in the hopes of persuading her to make a stand herself.

Anonymous has been engaged in a public relations war with the Church since January, when the Church tried to have a video of Tom Cruise pulled from the internet. They have waged a massive campaign to educate the public on the Church of Scientology's Fair Game policy, Disconnection policy, the Sea Org's billion-year contracts, the violation of the Establishment Clause via a preferential Tax Exempt status, and even the presence of highly-carcinogenic blue asbestos on the Scientology cruise ship 'The Freewinds.' They have held peaceful protests in over 100 cities on three separate occasions, with over 5,000 people participating worldwide in their most recent protest on April 12. Another worldwide protest is planned for May 10th.

Each member of Anonymous acts independently, has their own motives - and they all wear masks. This is because of Scientology's well-documented history of extortion, blackmail, disconnection, and intimidation toward its detractors, critics, and even its own members. Anonymous fears that Oprah herself may feel intimidated, and refrain from any public discussion of the controversy.

One Anonymous stated that "We are demonstrating outside of Harpo Studios for two reasons: First, to let Oprah know that we are watching, and will help to publicize any attempts Scientology makes to manipulate or punish her. Second, we want her to know the danger in giving the Church of Scientology uncritical publicity on a show as influential as hers. We hope she will let her audience know that stories of real human rights abuses are very common from former members, and encourage anybody interested in Scientology to research first, both by reading Scientology literature and by reading critical websites like xenu.net."

"We ask that Oprah Winfrey and, indeed, the residents of Chicago, join us in questioning the illegal activities of this organization. We would like her to ask real, critical questions of the leaders of Scientology, especially on the questions of disconnection and alleged child labor, coerced abortion and other illegalities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Personally, I think this one looks the best for a mailed press release. Here are some tips for mailing.

CVanonymous: Yours looks great for email press releases. The hyperlinks are a nice touch.

I think we should use these and get these printed and sent out ASAP. Sorry for encouraging a rush on this but it can take a while for news providers to sort out press releases and news tips amongst others they receive.

Here is a link with addresses to various media news providers. If you ask me, sending both an email format and by letter would be good.
    Media Addresses - Media Research Center

If you send any of these out, please mention on this thread which ones you've sent them to.

Lastly, some press releases have coverpages. Do we want to include one?
  17. WileyCoyote Member

I thought this part was disproved--that the taping is completely done now and that Anonymous will now be protesting merely in concert with the day the show AIRS, not the day it tapes.
  18. Lrononymous Member

Hey everyone. thanks for the work that's been put into this. you are right that we'll need to modify the part about being there while taping. otherwise I feel very good.
    I appreciate everyones help.
  19. MarcabEmpress Member

I am soooo excited to hear what the results will be. Way more thrilling than part2 of the Cruise-schmooze fest.
  20. Lrononymous Member

Thanks everyone in this thread and outside of it who has worked so hard to get this thing done. it has been sent to chicago media, and hopefully will be going out globally soon as well ( if my emails and PMs went through).

Chicago is going to make Anon proud on monday.

Thanks again,
    Lron