Customize

PR Director of Scientology’s Las Vegas C.C. Arrested in Plot to Assassinate a Cop

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Anonymous, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Some people think OTVIII's satire is funny and well done. This was one of the best ones.
  2. BlooAnon Member

Finally! Got to the end of this thread.

Carry on!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  4. The Internet Member

I think we should troll the Scientologists by working "sovereign" into the conversation as much as possible. Maybe talk about the "sovereign Scientologist movement," lol.
    • Like Like x 8
  5. timthephoto Member

me too, did you ever work for freeDUMB magazine?
  6. Anonymous Member

Sovereign Scientologist = SS = nazi
  7. Anonymous Member

I'll say it again -- sovereign citizen bullshit is exactly what Scientologists would dive into. They think they're the only fucking worthy people on the planet, and everyone else is a dumbfuck wog. How could "da gubmint" presume to enforce their woggy laws on super-homo-novo Scilons?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DEAD END

get real and get over it and fap to Su........Katie Holmes
  9. The Internet Member

Trolling Scientologist Facebook pages prior to the last election, I tend to agree. Some subtle differences though.

For example, sovereigns are paranoid about the government and the NSA thing must be making them rage right now. Scientologists are also paranoid about the government. However, if the Scientologists were in charge they'd create a surveillance monster right off the bat, unlike the sovereigns who mostly just want to smoke pot and live in squalor without worrying about protective services.
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Are her auditing and other Scientology records available to the prosecutor in this case?
    [IMG]
  11. Anonymous Member

Ahhhh, but that is a private religious sacrament thus sekrit even though up to 256 other people have seen it.

Tho maybe the defendant's lolyer if he has enough where it takes, should tease said files out to ascertain a 'mental incompetence' claim for the lady. No doubt she was programmed to believe a swindling con man word-for-word. I almost can't blame her. But damn, she's a Lulzcow.
  12. The Internet Member

I think 'mental incompetence' means you are retarded and so confused you can't go to the store and buy enough essentials without a minder. So just being a Scientologist isn't incompetent enough to count.

The cops say they have hours of recorded conversations. So I'm not sure they need anything about the body thetans and the past lives to make their charges stick. Maybe Ms. Newman's ethics folder? Is that where Scientology puts the overts/withholds?

It would be cool if ethics folders would have juicy stuff implicating Scientology higher ups in conspiracies. Something like, "Devon spoke with COB on the Freewinds about infiltrating the anti-tax movement in Nevada and using anti-government activists to spread civil panic and mistrust of authorities. Once the public no longer trust their own police, schools, doctors, etc., we will seize control…"

Somehow all these years after Snow White and a few raids overseas, I think I can count on Scientology carefully examining and destroying any potentially incriminating bits of paper in their buildings. Maybe a sudden raid would catch a few things at a particular center. But big covert operations involving top level OSA --I doubt that stuff gets on paper.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. 225

From ESMB:

Scientology's PR Executive, Devon Campbell Newman, is scheduled to appear at 9:00 a.m. in a Las Vegas Court for a Preliminary Hearing related to the criminal charges (conspiracy to commit kidnapping/1st degree, attempted kidnapping/1st degree, conspiracy to commit murder, etc.) filed against her on/about August 21, 2013.

Per the Clark County Detention Center's website, (link to search page here:http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/c...odySearch.aspx ) Ms. Newman's inmate ID number is05994051 and the case number is 13F13634B. Bail was set at $200k soon after her arrest by JOP Conrad Hafen, at which time Carl Arnold of the Public Defender's Office was assigned as her counsel.

The Detention Center's website indicates Ms. Newman remains in custody and that tomorrow's hearing remains as originally scheduled for September 9, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. Her alleged co-conspirator, David A. Brutsche, is scheduled to attend the same hearing...and another one on September 10, 2013, related to the charges against him re: failing to register as a sex offender.

To read more about the background of this case, along with the actual arrest documents, visit The Underground Bunker, here: http://tonyortega.org/2013/08/23/pr-...ssinate-a-cop/

Would anyone happen to know if Nevada criminal procedure permits bail reduction petitions to be submitted during a preliminary hearing? I've just read a bit online, but cannot find a definitive answer.

JB

Smurf:

Yes, the defense can ask for a bail reduction at a prelim, but I seriously doubt Judge Hafen will agree to it. In a prelim, the judge must find that there is enough evidence to hold the defendant to answer in the trial court.

I believe Judge Hafen will be tough on Devon Newman. Hafen is a devout Mormon (served a fulltime mission, got married, had lots of kids, etc.) Mormon judges tend to be very by-the-book in their interpreting the law & are pro-police. He has been criticized in the past for his tough approach to criminal defendants in the past.

http://www.clarkcountycourts.us/lvjc...ad%20Hafen.pdf

Second. Judge Hafen got a poor review in judicial performance last year by Clark County attorneys.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/cr...ative-comments

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...s-Las-Vegas-Celebrity-Center-Arrested!/page26
  14. 225

[EDIT: Both are now scheduled for a preliminary hearing on September 26, 2013.]

From CBS-Las Vegas...

"Sovereign Citizen Assigned Lawyer"

(LAS VEGAS, NV., KXNT)–He didnt want one, but David Brutsche has been assigned a lawyer as he faces charges that he and an accomplice plotted the abduction of Metro police officers.

Brutsche is a member of the so-called Sovereign Citizens, an extremist group listed as a domestic terrorist organization. The group does not recognize many laws, courts, or official documents. Brutsche and Devon Newman are accused of plotting to kidnap Metro police officers. But in an appearance in court Monday, some of the more serious charges facing him–conspiracy to commit murder and first-degree kidnapping–were dropped from the police complaint.

(My bold ^^^^.) What? Why?

Brutsche is set for a late September preliminary hearing. He is also scheduled for an appearance on unrelated charges of failing to register as a sex offender later this week.

Link to article: http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2013/09...signed-lawyer/

Last edited by JBWriter; 10th September 2013 at 01:18 AM.
  15. 225

Smurf
    [IMG]
    Gold Meritorious Patron[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG] Re: Scientology's Devon Newman & David Brutsche - Criminal Charges Update

[IMG] Originally Posted by JBWriter [IMG]
    "2 of 3 Charges Against 'Sovereign Citizens' Dropped" - From KVVU-TV, Aaron Barker
    Link here: http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/23393...tizens-dropped
    I suspect that the frame of mind of the defendants played into the prosecutor's decision to drop the most serious charges; i.e., the defendants are mental nutcases that lived out a "sovereign citizen" fantasy. The prosecutors could have very well gotten them convicted on the most serious charges only to have the convictions overturned by the appellate because it involves 2 mentally disturbed individuals.
    In the case of David Brutsche today, "Defendant states he does not need an attorney nor does he need to represent himself as there has been no crime commited - he is simply here to "intervene" for himself. Faretta canvas performed on Defendant - Court finds defendant is not competent to act as his own lawyer - Public Defender to remain on the case."
    A "faretta canvas" is a legal determination by the judge whether or not the defendant's waiver of counsel and desire for self-representation is informed and voluntary (that is, defendant is free of mental defect). The judge ruled that Brutsche would be represented by a defense attorney. It doesn't mean that Brutsche is required to speak to, or cooperate with, the attorney.
    In the case of Devon Newman, the judge granted a defense motion "to review additional video provided by State". I suspect that means police videos taken of Newman during the sting operation or in post-arrest interrogation.
    The sole remaining criminal charge.. Conspiracy to commit Kidnapping" is a Class B felony in Nevada.. if they are convicted, they can be sentenced up to 20 years in prison.
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

Devon Newman in Court Today

Devon Newman, the woman who was Scientology’s Public Relations director for its Las Vegas Celebrity Centre, until she was arrested for taking part in a bizarre plot to kidnap and kill a police officer, was in court today for a preliminary hearing, Nathan Baca tells us.

Continued with open comments at
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/09/26/sh...s-full-says-mother-of-insurance-fraud-victim/
    • Like Like x 4
  17. RightOn Member

Director Of Public Relations for the CC center is one of "2 mentally disturbed individuals".
    BWAH HA HA
    Well why not, the person who runs the COS is totally gone too.
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Sonichu Moderator

Another person to add as a poster child for Scientology working.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. DeathHamster Member

They haven't had a Las Vegas CC in many years. They merged it back into the org, and then to Idle Morgue. Are they still playing make-believe?
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Not guilty pleas in Vegas sovereign citizen case | The Associated Press

A judge entered a not guilty plea for an ex-convict from California who argued the court had no authority over him, and a Las Vegas woman pleaded not guilty on her own behalf Tuesday to conspiring to kidnap police officers to draw attention to an anti-government sovereign citizen philosophy.

David Allen Brutsche declared during his arraignment in state court that he was "retaining all my inalienable rights," maintained that he should be released because no one had been harmed, and refused to state a plea. As he did in previous court appearances, he said he didn't want a lawyer appointed to represent him.

"I will not represent myself, either," said Brutsche, a convicted child sex offender who espouses an extremist anti-authority theory that people can declare themselves outside the bounds of federal and local legal constraints.

Federal law enforcement agencies characterize sovereign citizens as domestic terrorists. The Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Ala., tallies more than 100,000 loosely organized adherents, and blames the group for seven killings of law enforcement officers in the past 10 years in South Carolina, Louisiana, Arkansas and California.

Brutsche said Tuesday he was speaking on behalf of "the fictitious person David Allen Brutsche."

"Your objections are noted," Clark County District Court Hearing Master Melisa De La Garza responded.

The judge set trial for Dec. 9 on a felony conspiracy to commit kidnapping charge that could get Brutsche and Devon Campbell Newman up to six years in prison if they're convicted.

Brutsche, 42, is being held at the Clark County jail on $600,000 bail. He also faces a separate felony charge of failing to register as a sex offender after moving to Nevada from California. Newman is being held on $200,000 bail.

Newman, 67, pleaded not guilty, then turned her back to Brutsche during his exchanges with the judge.

Newman's lawyer, Carl Arnold, said later that he may seek to sever Newman's trial from Brutsche's.

Arnold said undercover police recordings entered as evidence in the case show that Brutsche threatened to kill Newman, a former paralegal who once served as a publicist for the Church of Scientology, and that Newman was distancing herself from Brutsche when the two were arrested Aug. 20.

Continued at
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/ap/a...-pleas-in-vegas-sovereign-citizen-case/nbJQb/
    • Like Like x 4
  21. DeathHamster Member

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NV_SOVEREIGN_CITIZENS_POLICE_PLOT_NVOL-?SITE=AP
    • Like Like x 4
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Woman takes plea deal in sovereign citizen case | The Associated Press

Devon Newman pleaded guilty Thursday to conspiracy to commit false imprisonment. Prosecutors in September dropped the two most serious charges — conspiracy to commit murder and attempted kidnapping with a weapon.

Clark County District Court Judge Elissa Cadish gave Newman one year probation and ordered her to have no contact with former co-defendant David Allen Brutsche (brew-SHAY’).

He’s a 42-year-old ex-convict from California, and remains jailed on $200,000 bail pending trial March 10 on a felony conspiracy to commit kidnapping charge.

Prosecutor Thomas Carroll says Newman had no prior criminal record.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...4bb9b2-636a-11e3-af0d-4bb80d704888_story.html
    • Like Like x 5
  23. Anonymous Member

Raw Story: Scientologist pleads guilty in sovereign citizen plot to kidnap and kill a police officer
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/...zen-plot-to-kidnap-and-kill-a-police-officer/

Excerpt:
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  25. JohnnyRUClear Member

Nonsense. She's lived a life of Scientology! He obviously needs a Mark VIII so he can find out her (other) crimes.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Sekee Member

27. 948

She used to live with and be audited by one of the best, Karen de la Carriere. It will be interesting if she is able to get and use a Mark VIII
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  28. Anonymous Member

dox plox
  29. Anonymous Member

Most of the information I'm aware of is via Tony Ortega, reporting on information supplied to him by Karen de la Carriere and in the story he provided when the story broke, last summer. Don't have a link ATM but the article isn't hard to find. So yeah, it's hearsay from KdlC, not righteous dox.
  30. Anonymous Member

No dox? Then don't post.
    Get this.
    • Like Like x 2
  31. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  32. DeathHamster Member

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140407/APN/304079706
    Giving away water without a license? That's out exchange!

Pro-Per and he got probation? It must have been a nice judge and a prosecutor who wanted it the whole thing to go away.

(Sovereign admiralty law kook types taking this as a win in 3.. 2.. 1..)
    • Like Like x 3
  33. Quentinanon Member

• Like Like x 1
  34. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  35. tinfoilhatter Member

Are they related? or is it too soon to tell?
  36. DeathHamster Member

Maybe not, unless they attended the same Loonies-R-Us classes, but I'm not ruling that out.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  37. tinfoilhatter Member

• Like Like x 3
  38. 1601024_10152200849888360_1168421510_n.jpg
    They'll pry the virgin wool from my cold dead hands, bargello doesn't kill people, people kill people...On the bright side, at least her mother now has this to remember her by...
    • Like Like x 3
  39. vaLLarrr Member

$cientology works and it potato.
    • Like Like x 1