Customize

Post Rating Abuse.

Discussion in 'Site News and Announcements' started by sue, Apr 17, 2013.

1. sue Administrator

Turns out it took osa bots "only" two months to figure out they could hide/censor posts by sock puppeteering.

It's cool tho, ratings should now only be available to people that overall contribute positively to the site. I won't share the exact criteria, but suffice to say that in theory if you've been a member and contributed something towards conversations: you should be able to vote.

In other words, ratings are not available to everyone straight off the bat anymore, it can be earned.
    • Like Like x 31
  2. moarxenu Member

<3<3<3 ALGOS
  3. sue Administrator

You sir are missing a Z
    • Like Like x 4
  4. WMAnon Member

This is now the thread where we complain about not being able to rate posts.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. sue Administrator

The upgrade was still running and hadn't made it to your nickname yet. It should be done now tho.
  6. rickybobby Member

Question:
    Do positive ratings offset negative ratings-- meaning if a post eventually gets more positives than negatives, does it magically reappear?
  7. sue Administrator

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way. I hope to get this changed once time permits.
  8. WMAnon Member

Ah, all working now. Sorry.
  9. MOOG Member

thank you Sue.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Good idea. That'll give people a probationary period so everybody will know whether the poster(s) are worthy or OSA bots.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ersatz Global Moderator

Considering they didn't have any TR's or clay demos I'd say 2 months is quick for them.
    • Like Like x 13
  12. RightOn Member

lol!! Ersatz!

thanks Sue BTW
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Random guy Member

I miss the LOL-button!

New system sounds good Sue!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. rof Member

sue you suck so much I can't even believe half the . . .

Oh wait, I thought it said Post Ranting Abuse.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Anonymous Member

Now you need 15 some amount of positive ratings received to rate posts yourself.
  16. Anonymous Member

No system is perfect.

The point of having ratings was to avoid threads full of "i agree" or "i disagree" type posts that cluttered things up, and so far this has worked well.

A problem with this new rule about who is allowed to rate a post is that some users who are denied access to ratings may revert to the bad old habit of posting a reply just to express like or dislike, once again cluttering up threads. Maybe. We will see I guess.
  17. Anonymous Member

Good solution sue.

Just in case this was not intentional: along with the removal of the like/dislike buttons, I have lost the ability to post anything beyond plain text. There is no longer any options for bolding, changing font, linking, posting images etc.
  18. sue Administrator

The latter should not have happened, is this across the board?
  19. Anonymous Member

I just checked another sock account that also can no longer rate. For that one, the reply box header is still visible, so not across the board it seems.

Weird.
  20. sue Administrator

Using the same browser? Different theme? Tried clearing cache?
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Anonymous Member

Tried both themes with Safari as well as Chrome. This account gives me a blank box, except for the 'Post Reply' Reply Anonymously' and 'More Options' buttons, across all theme/browser combos. The other sock has the original header intact in all cases.

Sorry for derail if the issue is isolated to this one account. Will PM :)
  22. Anonymous Member

Bold works for me. As well as all the other groovy features. Plus, I just "liked" Sue's post #20. So it's all functional here. Running IE9 (I know, I know. I'm at work . . .)
  23. Anonymous Member

This is a sock I have that can't seem to rate. However, I see all of the other text editing, linking, picture, etc. functions are available to use if I post.

I liked the option of using this sock to rate some things. I have been judicious about rating, I think.
  24. Malory Member

Post something about David Miscavige gobbling cocks while getting pegged by Laurisse in a Xenu mask and just rack up those positive ratings for your sock.

Also, lol at Sue continuing to screw with OSA so elegantly.
    • Like Like x 11
  25. Anonymous Member

as usual Sue=awesome and OSA= slow and easy to foil
  26. amaX Member

Some of those alleged OSAbot posts are pretty damned funny and reek of our beloved channers. It's made me practically weepy with nostalgia.
    Sue and the Mods! Performing nightly at the WWP Honky Tonk and Taxidermy Shoppe. Thanks, Sue and the Mods!
    I need a nap.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. agree.jpg
  28. As ifness Member

Me - member since 2009
    Anonymous posts - 80 bajillion
    Accidental posts using my id - <10
    • Like Like x 5
  29. Anonymous Member

Accordingly, no ratings, not get to like anything. And, I tells you, I have written some funny shit on this site.
  30. Anonymous Member

Can't rate but since I've only posted anonymously for the last couple years, no one cares anway :)
    • Like Like x 2
  31. Anonymous Member

I care brother/sister/co-robot.
    • Like Like x 1
  32. As ifness Member

Can I get, I don't know, a few dozen likes for this, then I'll submerge again.

Q. What have a bookcase and an oyster got in common?
    A. They are both shelfish.

Look, that is a completely new joke that I made up for you. It has never been told before. That's a VERY rare thing.

Google it. You won't find it. It's at least as good as "When is a door not a door".
    • Like Like x 13
  33. Facebook-Like-Button.jpg
  34. As ifness Member

And if I don't get enough "likes" for that joke, I am going to take it back and sell it on ebay.

Then, you'll have to freakin' pay for it.
    • Like Like x 5
  35. I can prove you stole it from LRH!
  36. rickybobby Member

I'm having an odd problem; I do not seem to be able to be the first to "like" a post for some posters. It will act as if it has registered my choice and give me the option to undo the rating, but it will not show there are any "likes'. I am going to test, but I think it is only for non member accounts. For example, Mr. OSA bot, I tried to "like" you (really I did, probably just to lull you into a false sense of security), but my "like" does not seem to show. Did you receive my token of affection, or am I liking for naught? I can first time "like" anonymous posts, but not Mr OsaBot.

I am on an ipad, latest iOS whatever the fuck it is, Dolphin browser set for desktop view.

PS. Just tried, same result with Safari on iPad.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Likes don't register on unregistered users, it is supposed to make them want to register.
  38. WMAnon Member

Just tested. Looks like the dislikes are sticking but the likes aren't.
    • Like Like x 3
  39. sallysock Member

I liked ^^^
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Correct, it is so not fair. I can be disliked but not liked :(

I wish I could register but my mommy won't let me :confused: