Customize

"PLEASE STOP! You're scaring my children."

Discussion in 'Flash Raids' started by Budd, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Budd Member

"PLEASE STOP! You're scaring my children."

How do you respond when a passer-by says, "PLEASE STOP! You're scaring my children."
    ?
    Last weekend there were about ten or fifteen Anons up in New Haven, CT - home of a little college known as "Yale" or something like that. :) I was on a business trip and drove about 25 minutes to get there. (I love my job: the boss pays me to travel to work sites, and I get to protest! New York City, Phoenix, and now New Haven.) Almost as much fun as back home in Orlando!

Anyway, everything was very calm (funny, in three hours I saw a grand total of ONE person enter the org) the Anons had signs and the usual Guy Fawkes masks, one girl was giving out roses, etc. Then about half-an-hour after we started a 30yo mother crosses the street and in a very upset voice says, "PLEASE STOP! You're scaring my children."

I am sure she was just a regular person as she didn't do any Sci-speak and there was a children's clothing shop across the street. Probably her children had seen us from the sidewalk or from inside the shop.

The other Anons who were nearby and heard her didn't know what to say and sort of just stood there. I approached the lady and apologized to her. She sputtered a little and, her steam gone, she walked away back across the street.

Now admittedly, one of the Anons was wearing a gas mask (green army-style with big eye portals, sort of alien-looking) but nothing worse than most kids see on TV or Saturday morning cartoons. No one else had anything scary, just GF masks and black T-shirts. Hey, I was wearing jeans, an blue long-sleeved shirt, and a floppy fishing hat. How scary is that? (Pretty scary for some of the younger Anons, I am 54yo... and loving it!)

SO...

• How do we respond and not react?
    • How do we calm down a mother, or a grandmother, or someone who does not know what we are doing... or the insane crimes of the Church of Scientology?
    • How do we explain, in ten words or less, what we are doing out on the public sidewalk?
    Your comments, please!
  2. exOT8Michael Member

Re: "PLEASE STOP! You're scaring my children."

How about "Yes, our scariness is a necessary public warning not to get into Scientology, which is so scary it costs lives.'
    or some such wording.
  3. ntnmf Member

Just explain very carefully that the masks keep you safe. Meh. Even preface it with a polite apology. "I'm sorry if the masks bother your children, but they keep us safe." If they ask how they keep you safe then explain about Fair Game.

We've had quite a few kids see us protesting and all of them have liked the whole thing.
  4. happy feet Member

Ask them if they let their kids out on Halloween.

Also explain that children take their cues from the energy given off by parents, so if she relaxes her kids will have a happier life.
  5. Re: "PLEASE STOP! You're scaring my children."

Tell her to post tits in the dome
  6. SickLab Member

pretty much this. Personally kids on the street always loved the mask, never had any problem with it. The best is when the kid ask: ''Dad, why are they wearing a mask?'' and the dad replies ''Well son, they are protesting a cult and they do so to protect their identity...'' until they walk away. I've heard this one quite a few times.
  7. CantPickaName Member

I would like to hear

"Well son...all crime fighters wear masks"
  8. i'mglib Member

Ugh.
    I hate parents, ya know?
    I hate this type of mom, and pity her kids teachers.
    And I am a mom.
    This is why I always avoided going to the park with play groups when my kids were little...lest I have to deal with this type of thing. Mothers especially can get this righteous indignation at every tiny thing. Sheesh.
    I agree with Michael P...just say that the cult is scarier.
  9. Ann O'Nymous Member

The mother is the problem, not the child. Address her fears.
  10. ALLANON Member

"We're the good guys ma'am, <insert Co$ trufax>."
  11. Anonymous Member

"you wanna scare them then take them into that CULT"
  12. Drums of War Member

Fear is beneficial to human survival. We are doing your child a favour.
  13. ultrapoet Member

It's my observation that many parents who complain about their children being frightened by something are actually covering for the fact that THEY are the ones disturbed by it. Otherwise, they'd devote their energies to reassuring the child that there was nothing to be afraid of instead of blaming the source of the upset for it.
  14. Anonymous Member

I agree Budd..respond to the parents..

with the children I'd go with Spiderman, all kids know he's one of the good guys, compare yourself to that..and working to bring good information to the world
  15. Anonymous Member

New "think of the children" tech?
  16. Anonymous Member

Ask her why she hates freedom of speech and the right to assembly. Just because you decided to let a screaming parasite fall out of your vagina does not give you the authority to suppress our rights.
  17. The Moon Member

"If you think we're bad, these guys will scare the crap out of you.."
  18. Anonymous Member

We've had the opposite problem here - children enthralled by V-masked Anons, who won't quit bugging us for attention until they're physically pulled away by their parents - including who who burst into tears due to having to leave. :-/
  19. 3rdMan Member

"You think that is scary. You should see the prices the cult over there charges."
  20. Re: &quot;PLEASE STOP! You're scaring my children.&quot;

Exactly if you want to scared the shit out of them, show them a picture of L. Ron Crackhead

old-L-Ron-Hubbard.jpg
  21. Re: "PLEASE STOP! You're scaring my children."

Just wave and dance. :3 We've had a ton of little kids interact with our protests in the past year and a half in DC and maybe only 1 or 2 out of the entire time were scared. Usually, they laugh or point or wave while we wave back. You can't please everyone, just keep moving forward.
  22. Major Boyle Member

Give kiddies a nice Anonymous Balloon then wave at them.
  23. Herro Member

Tell them that chanology is powered by rape.
  24. ParanoidCT Member

hubbudd, I would have said something if I saw that happen. I think I must have been away at that point in time. I'm glad you talked to her. You did the right thing. I wish I knew about this when it happend now damn.
  25. Doctor Tran Member

If we could get Herro to do that...
  26. YAHRLY Member

the only correct answer is:

"GOOD"
  27. Anonymous Member

Say this:

O RLY?

MUAHAHAHAHA!!!! RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  28. Shinythings Member

"Booo!"
  29. DeathHamster Member

Sorry ma'am, we'll go change into our bear costumes.
  30. Anonymous Member

One trick I've used if a kid looks scared is back away from them with exaggerated acting of being scared of them. This puts more distance between you and them, and kids tend to know play acting and can go from being scared to laughing.

But if a kid is really scared, it's their parents that should help them. Parents can't walk around asking people on a public street to do things at the whims of their kids.
  31. JohnnyRUClear Member

"Wanna see [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Pdlxd_rro&feature=related"]something[/ame] REALLY scary?"
  32. Anonymous Member

Wut?
  33. Apotheker Member

34. basil Member

I've had that sort of reaction from people once or twice - and it's always without fail the adults, whereas the children seem totally nonplussed by our presence.

I simply say "if you think this is scary, then you should see what I look like under the mask".

I like the 'all the good guys wear masks' and think of Batman, Spiderman, Bananaman etc - it's not like they're gruesome horror masks or something after all.
  35. Panama Member

We get that crap from the guy who lives in the house on the corner we protest on. He's always bitching about us. We can't swear because his kids will hear, two anons were yelled at for headbutting, and of course the music bothers them. Everything is about those fucking kids. We're convinced he's a Scilon who just wants us to stop protesting so he complains about everything we do.

I never know how to respond, but this "omg my kids!" crap bugs me. The world doesn't revolve around kids, parents need to realize this. Things are going to scare kids, there's going to be loud noises and music, people are going to swear, you can't take them into the city and expect them to stay sheltered.
  36. Anonymous Member

Tell her not to worry and that you're from the internet

Herro you son of a gun.
  37. 1138anonymous Member

Re: &quot;PLEASE STOP! You're scaring my children.&quot;

pedonon.jpg
  38. Lorelei Member

Give her a Li'l Debbie cupcaek and a flier. :)
  39. zebrafaced Member

Around here, it's the old people that are scared. Then again... lol, Florida, old people.

On Saturday, I had my "SCIENTOLOGY GAVE ME SCURVY" sign up, and some little old lady just kind of stared. When I turned it around, it mentioned forced abortions in the Sea Org. She practically shoo'd her husband into bumping the car in front of them so she wouldn't have to look at my sign. wut.
  40. Re: "PLEASE STOP! You're scaring my children."

"it's natural human reaction to be afraid of what we do not understand, allow me to tell you why i protest to calm your fears and nerves."