Customize

PLEASE READ - Anonymous, WhyWeProtest, and Wikileaks

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Rufus T Firefly, Dec 8, 2010.

1. PLEASE READ - Anonymous, WhyWeProtest, and Wikileaks

There has been an unusual amount of traffic and new users in the last few days. This is undoubtedly due to media coverage of "Operation Payback" in support of WikiLeaks.

Whyweprotest.net is the number three Google result for "Anonymous" with the first two being Wikipedia articles. A number of news sources have connected the "Anonymous" that works against the Church of Scientology with the "Anonymous" that is attacking the websites of companies that have worked against WikiLeaks. There was even a link here from a New York Times article in connection with "Operation Payback," so it is only natural that some people end up here in response to what is an ongoing international news story. We welcome new users and wish you the best.

I'm making this post to clarify things to our new users, to passers-by and some established users who seem to be a bit misinformed.

What Anonymous is
    Anonymous is simply a group of people who communicate using disposable identities, or not using any identity at all. "Anonymous" can refer to the millions of people who post on various websites without using their real identities, it can refer to any given subset of those people, or it can even refer to a single person.

What Anonymous is not
    Anonymous is not a single cohesive group of people. No single person or group of people is representative of "Anonymous" as a whole. Anonymous has no official membership, and has no official guidelines and no officials. There is no controlling entity and no unifying principles. Not everyone who considers himself to be Anonymous is involved with everything "Anonymous" is said to be responsible for, and things that "Anonymous" is said to be responsible for do not represent the opinions or actions of every single person or any given person who considers himself to be a part of Anonymous.

What WhyWeProtest.net is
    WhyWeProtest.net (WWP) is primarily the central hub for "Project Chanology." Project Chanology is the name for the anti-Scientology activism movement that includes elements of Anonymous and also includes former Scientology members and other long-time critics. Some of WWP's users consider themselves to be "Anonymous" some do not. WWP is not exclusively limited to Scientology. WWP also hosts discussion and activism on a number of other topics including the recent Iranian elections. There is a general sentiment among most WWP users strongly in favor of free expression and the free exchange of information.

What WhyWeProtest.net is not
    WWP is not representative of "Anonymous" as a whole. "Anonymous" as a whole is not necessarily representative of Chanology or WWP. WWP is not the one and only home of Anonymous, it is a home for some people who consider themselves to be part of Anonymous.

WWP is NOT a staging ground for any sort of illegal activity against any party. WWP does not condone or promote any illegal activities. If you as a WWP user spot any promotion of illegal activities, such as denial of service attacks please use the report button to the left of the post so that the moderating staff can act. WWP will comply with any valid orders by law enforcement agencies, however to date we have never received any such orders.

Why WWP has a section for discussing WikiLeaks
    A lot of WWP users hold very strong sentiments about the freedom of speech, freedom of expression and freedom of information. WikiLeaks is viewed as a beacon of freedom of information and actions against it are viewed as suppressing free expression of ideas. WikiLeaks has also hosted a number of internal Scientology documents.

This section is to be used for discussion of events surrounding WikiLeaks and Julian Assange, and it can be used to organize legal avenues to disseminate your opinion on the subject.

This section is NOT to be used to promote or organize any illegal activities. This, however does not mean that you cannot discuss when other people are using illegal activities.

Now please feel free to call me a leader-fag and whatnot now, but I think this needed to be clarified

Thanks,
    Rufus

Edit, since some of you haven't bothered to read the above I'll say it in large annoying red font:

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="6"]YOU WILL NOT FIND ANYONE HERE TO GIVE YOU DIRECTIONS TO "THE NEW WAR ROOM" YOU HAVE BEEN TROLLED[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Edit: For the word-averse:

vennq.png
    • Like Like x 3
  2. the anti Member

Re: PLEASE READ - Anonymous, WhyWeProtest, and Wikileaks

facebook-like-buton.png
  3. hushpuppy Member

What an incredible write up!

Can you make that page mandatory reading before unregistered users get redirected to wwp until the wikileaks story has died down?
  4. Anonymous Member

This. Also, make it mandatory reading before newly registered users are able to post, like with the "forum rules"?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ersatz Global Moderator

Nicely done Rufus.
  6. Anonymous Member

Freedom of speech, freedom of expression and freedom of information.

^^^^^within the Law.
  7. Re: PLEASE READ - Anonymous, WhyWeProtest, and Wikileaks

I do not have that power.
  8. Miranda Member

Very nice. And well timed. Thank you, Rufus.
  9. AnonyVix Member

Agree 100%
  10. Re: PLEASE READ - Anonymous, WhyWeProtest, and Wikileaks

Great outline Rufus. And not a moment too soon. Hopefully will be read widely and quoted often.
  11. V for noivax Member

That's not going to keep me away from this site, greets from Holland

:D
  12. Consensus Member

well done and much needed
  13. Mythic Member

BAWWWWW leaderfag, NYPA etc etc etc

Also:
    cool_story_bro_2.jpg

[SIZE="4"]Now, on a more serious note:
    Well said and well timed. I think that was a damn smart move. Is there any way to get this posted to the home page?[/SIZE]
  14. Rockyj Member

Me like!
  15. EyeOnSci Member

Thanks, Rufus!
  16. Nancy Beazley Member

You're a natural leaderfag.
  17. timthephoto Member

Rufus why are you protecting the identity of our leader?

Everyone knows it's Tommy Davies!!
  18. Anonymous Member

ITT: Rufus attempts to cover up his LOIC habit
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Zak McKracken Member

^
    Get that power

Also, make it mandatory reading before new unregistered users are able to read any other posts, or any other content from this site, period.

(mandatory voice verification w/ skype, & Palaver wouldn't hurt either)
  20. JustMissedMe Member

Yay! Love it!

The whole 'anyone can be anonymous' thing is one of the brilliant ways the internet has changed the concept of activism. But when you're dealing with an idea like 'being part of a nameless, faceless mass is empowering to the individual' ... well, it can make conversations complicated.
  21. Anonymous Member

Press Release?
  22. grebe Member

Good jorb Rufus.

Scientology protesters hope that law enforcement will investigate and prosecute criminal activity by the Church of Scientology. Sincere, non-troll, non-OSA participants in this forum very much want to be helpful to the various police agencies monitoring this cult.

So the last thing we want is a hassle with The Man.

If you read a post alluding to any kind of shady business, it's likely you've encountered something hysterically funny to someone.
  23. Re: PLEASE READ - Anonymous, WhyWeProtest, and Wikileaks

Bump for GREAT JUSTICE
  24. Anonymous Member

Yeh, with a minute between your post and the one before it, we nearly lost sight of this thread forever.
  25. Anonymous Member

Also the blinking blue light and the fact that it's a sticky.
  26. 3rdMan Member

The post of reason says it all. Thank you for posting that Rufus. Now back to making Scifags bawwww.
  27. Anon_1HG Member

Needs a situation room
  28. ravenanon Member

LMAO

Beautifully said Rufus
  29. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Bravo Rufus! Thank you for posting and making it clear to anybody and everybody who come across WWP.

I would put a animated GIF here of somebody clapping, but alas I do not have one.
  30. Scythe Member

good
  31. OTBT Member

Timely, and very well written, Rufus.
  32. Anonymous Member

A very timely post, Rufus.

Especially as this was on the UK's Channel 4 news today, 6th Story: Catch up - Channel4 News

at 02:40ish Jon Snow is a bit confused by 'Anonymous' being a name

(I always thought Op Payback was about the ACS:law and SaveThePiratebay stuff. Guess they decided to keep the name)

Gawker is claiming that the FBI has forced EDramatica to take the Op Payback page offline!
  33. Re: PLEASE READ - Anonymous, WhyWeProtest, and Wikileaks

Bump
  34. Anonymous Member

A mod just wrote something utterly sensible, every word of which was a revelation from Heaven! How on Earth am I going to reconcile this with the known fact that:

[IMG]R[IMG]

I may have to revise my whole worldview!
  35. Anonymous Member

(pssst they're actually m o r a l f a g s)
  36. Anonymous Member

Love "Julian's" trouble with the name of LOIC.
  37. LocalSP Member

Well done Rufus and this vvv

38. Rockyj Member

[/img]R[IMG]

Yep, they all look like revenge of the nerds basement dwellers to me!

BTW how do you spell i-d-i-o-t? Learn it, memorize & apply!
  39. Re: PLEASE READ - Anonymous, WhyWeProtest, and Wikileaks

I guess this wikileaks stuff will mean more cops following my cell around again, like they did when Operation Titstorm hit.
  40. Gottabrain Member

^^What he said!^^

GREAT post. Gold star.

GoldStar05_425.jpg