Customize

Outgoing 911 calls, legality of blocking them

Discussion in 'Education, Research and Inside Reports' started by anonhuff, Mar 2, 2009.

1. anonhuff Member

Outgoing 911 calls, legality of blocking them

(this is related to California as it struck me that a prisoner in Gold Base might not even have the ability to dial 911 and ask for help if they chose to, but the legality in other states might not be the same)

I checked into the legality/requirements for employers to allow 911 calls and unfortunately they are allowed to disable 911 calls which is retarded if you ask me. Specifically as long as CoS shows they have a "system set up to respond to emergency situations" they are allowed, in California, to disable outgoing 911 calls. This means that anyone within a scientology building/compound have no way to reach out for help either in an emergency or because they are being held prisoner and want to leave. Finding this out made me angry.

Is it OK to block calls to 911? | Oakland Tribune | Find Articles at BNET

--

California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA) main page
    Division of Occupational Safety and Health

How to make an (anonymous if you wish) complaint:
    DOSH - How to file a complaint with Cal/OSHA

from Petition process :
    Anyone can petition the state board to adopt, amend or repeal any current standard. The petitioner in the beginning of this post did so anonymously, as is their right by law.
    It seems to me as a layperson that someone petitioning would have the most impact if they were directly involved with what they are petitioning about, however the board has an obligation to review and respond to all petitions within 6 months.

Again, this is information that I was able to find about California specifically. I'm just going to make a short list of concerns and things I considered while researching this topic because I can't really form it all into a cohesive paragraph adequately.

- the 911 regulation as it stands is enforced for employers, I couldn't find information as it might pertain to 911 access in residences or residences provided by an employer.

- a residence owned by an employer might be under the same requirements, or it might be under more broad requirements as a person living somewhere should have the right to privacy, maybe that would include the right to 911 access I have no idea, but it's something that could be looked into

- I read the 911 petition and recommendation, and it seems that OSHA assumes the employer would have the employee's best interests in mind, by allowing the employer to override 911 services with their own emergency action plans. In the cases of refineries and offshore stuff that makes sense. That doesn't make sense if the employer is seeking to use blocking 911 as a means of control over the employee, and usurping their ability to use it to legitimately call for help in a situation where the employer cannot or will not have an action plan in place to take care of the employees needs. Scientology, by all ex-members' accounts, has it's own desire to keep members in at all costs. Marc Headley's police report and personal account of his escape from gold is at least one on the record case of this. I am quite sure there are many others.

- the petition mentions the widespread use of cellphones, are cellphones allowed in gold base outside of people like tommy davis, catherine frasier etc? Do the employees and/or residents there have any means of calling for help in an emergency or are they fully at the whim of scientology's "action plan for emergencies" to use similar phrasing from the OSHA decision?

- does gold base have medical facilities on site that are equal to or better than the services that would be availed to people on site, compared to what would be available to anyone calling 911 in a medical or personal emergency?

- what authority does OSHA have to verify any of the above, and what is there stopping scientology from "allowing" 911 usage only when an on-site inspection might theoretically take place? if they use a PBX system it could be as simple as hitting a button or rebooting a computer (I have no idea but computer based outgoing telephone systems are surely reconfigurable within short time frames?)

- if 911 access is available at gold base (or big blue, or wherever) do employees/visitors/prisoners ever have opportunity to use telephones that could dial these 3 digits outbound? having 911 access would be a moot point if there are no phones, or if they are kept under lock and key (maybe not literally)

This is something that I've given some thought to and it would frighten me a great deal if my employer restricted or outright blocked 911 calls and I work for a place that I trust and enjoy. I can't imagine how terrible it must be for someone who comes to the realization that they are a prisoner and cannot even use this basic functionality to call for help.

Ex-members who maybe are thinking the same thing, you have a legally anonymous way to complain or even take the extra step of asking for regulatory change on this matter, should you so desire. The petition process is even non-formalized, and you could call them and ask questions about it, if you wanted to.

I'm going to point Marc Headley to this thread through PM as I know he has publicized his leaving of Gold Base and might be interested in these findings.
  2. Ann O'Nymous Member

Re: Outgoing 911 calls, legality of blocking them

Interesting angle.
  3. rummychick99 Member

So we need someone from the inside to tell us if 911 calls are blocked.

I don't have time to do a scrutinized reading of this but here is a 2009 discussion of the proposed rule..that was proposed back in 2006.

http://www.oal.ca.gov/pdfs/notice/5z-2009.pdf

Might I add one more thing to the list of "hmmmmm"s.

What is the real- behind the scenes - practices of treatment of medical emergencies for Scientologists on Gold Base and does it meet the requirements of what is discussed in that document.
  4. AnonLover Member

interesting angle indeed... how do we find out if a given location is currently leveraging this?
  5. rummychick99 Member

It makes sense that they would block 911 calls where legal (and even where not legal) as they wouldn't want interlopers called into a situation. So for the moment just take that as a given as you look around. Later you have to find out if it is true...or maybe you don't. Maybe it is just a question you bring up to some authority.

Now you have to find out what locations would be appropriate to follow up on. I did a brief search on Florida law and came across this funny story.

Totally unrelated to the topic but had to laugh. Woman calls 911 over Chicken Mcnuggets

Fort Pierce woman calls 911 when McNuggets run out -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

It was great thinking on the part of the OP to think of this line of attack
  6. anonhuff Member

Not really knowing anything outside basic phone functionality, would there be a way for a reverse-911 system to easily (and remotely) check if 911 capability is possible at a given location? That, if possible, would avoid the whole "being in compliance for the exact number of minutes that an onsite inspector is present" douchebaggery that seems possible for something like this.