Customize

Operation Leakspin

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by cryok, Dec 11, 2010.

1. xenubarb Member

Re: Operation Leakspin

Given that it's anonymous we're talking about, some will stand and some will flee. The first few months of Project Chanology weeded out the putheyth.

We're like the Vatican! Can haz funny hat nao?
  2. Re: Operation Leakspin

NO IT IS NOT

10.000 hours of Hubbard Lectures have been gone through in the same manner
  3. Uncle Bruce Member

Just one question. Couldn't a government agency, or any one else, do the same thing with bogus information and contaminate the data pool to the point of uselessness? Just an honest question, please don't bite!
  4. openbook Member

Operation Leakspin can make Anonymous stronger. Allowing people who have been put off by veiled threats and miss reporting in the media.

I have been a watcher and supporter of Anonymous for a number of years but the Wikileaks saga has made me take the step to become involved. Someone needs to stand up for the internet and we are the only ones who will.

This project operation combined with others will keep the issue in the eye of the public and not the image portrayed by the media.
  5. Re: Operation Leakspin

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-C6DiWMuhU[/ame]
  6. genoramix Member

VUUURY NOIIICE!!!

Just a question : i have plenty of time on my hands, and i would gladly give 1-2 hours/day to read those cables and post the most damning ones.

However, is there some planning, so that i don't waste time reading the ones that have already been read?
  7. WMAnon Member

This is why it's important for sites like WikiLeaks specifically to exist. OpenLeaks is not planning on publishing any of their raw data, but WikiLeaks has always made the full source material available for fact checking. You can't guarantee that red herrings don't get thrown into leakspin, but the things that don't have real documentation backing them up will become obvious very quickly.
  8. Re: Operation Leakspin

I agree. That reminds me of something NASA did a while back, when they were allowing the public to help count craters on Mars. They sent the same thing to a few people, but never over-duplicated it. That way, they had multiple sets of eyes on it and were able to use their paid staff more efficiently. It was fun.
  9. Anonymous Member

There's a reason for this, oposition makes anonymous stronger. "their blood is seed" type of thing. As long as CoS and the government fight back there will be people flooding to Anonymous to help. If that oposition were to stop eventually interest in Anonymous' causes would decrease.
  10. arPnonymous Member

Long time sinceI've been active but it's time to get my lazy butt moving and help out.

Im on board now so ill be able to spare some hours once in a while.

question; is there an agreement so people won't read the same things or doesn't that matter?
  11. Anonymous Member

Moon, and its ongoing:

http://www.moonzoo.org/

(also not an official NASA project, but these guys look legit (and probably have academic, if not NASA funding))

Moon Zoo - The Moon Zoo Team

One gripe: unlike seti@home and stardust@home, MoonZoo doesn't provide any real feedback on what you've cataloged. You might be helping out with "real science" but it lacks the zingggg of recognition that the Berkeley @home projects give back.
  12. Anonymous Member

How about a place where you can tick off the leaks as you've read them? People who browse through it can see how many ticks each item has, so they know not to bother with the duplicates.

Items which have many ticks go to the bottom of the page, items with few ticks go to the bottom. It could be like a reverse voting system.

Does anyone have the technical know-how to set this up?
  13. Anonymous Member

You could set it up on our wiki here.
  14. Anonymous Member

I was hoping to find a way of automating it. So the site fetches new cables from Wikileaks, puts them at the top of the page with no ticks, and then people click on a button once they've been through them. It could work a little like an automated voting system.

I know someone who I think might be able to swing this. Have to ask them.
  15. HugeAnon Member

Wouldn't be terribly hard. Some PHP magic would make it a fairly easy project. It all depends on who would be willing to host a site and maybe have the v& show up at their door.
  16. Anonymous Member

We wouldn't be doing anything illegal, so we should be fine. I think it's about the same legality as running a Wikileaks mirror.

The US government is trying to prosecute Wikileaks itself on the grounds that they were information-gatherers, not publishers. We'd definitely be publishers, so no issue there.

I'd be willing to host it at home if I could possibly swing it, but that's complicated for me due to personal circumstances. I've also got zero experience at running a server. Could always club together with a few people and find a friendly hosting provider.
  17. Re: Operation Leakspin

I do remember a similar project with Mars. The Moon doesn't interest me, and has never captured my love the way the Red Planet has. The only thing that pissed me off about the great photos taken by Sojourner is that a robot, rather than a person, did it.
  18. Jeff Jacobsen Member

So... just trying to summarize what I think would be helpful to make this operation go well:

1. a database showing which documents have already been dealt with, with a link to the resulting video, summary, or whatever.

2. a review of recent news to see what may have already been reported about said document, so this could be covered in a summary (might include updates of the situation covered in the document).

3. Any summary has a direct link to the document in question.

4. the database shows any summaries or documents that have been translated into other languages.

5. ???
  19. HugeAnon Member

As I was thinking about this today I thought of a potential problem.

There would be a script that essentially runs periodically and scrapes Wikileaks (or a mirror if Wikileaks is down). The problem is that a lot of heavily trafficed sites have algorithms that attempt to look for spiders like the one someone would be building, this would cause the spider to be rejected and no gain in information.

As an overview this is how I kind of pictured it. The backend would consist of a few tables, one containing a link to the document, its current status, and other information. The other table could be for incoming documents that could be added to the documents table every morning or every hour.

In order to get the most recent documents we would initially be targeting the bulk of the docs that we want and grabbing them through some script and adding them to the table before the site actually went live. Then every day or hour we would send out another spider to grab the recent documents and put them into the second table. This would potentially give use new documents every hour that were at most 2 hours old.

The front end would be even easier, a basic website that queried the main doc table and displayed the results with a clickable button to indicate which documents would are done or would be done.

We could also have a verification system to confirm if a document had been completed or not and display the link to the video or page containing the finished doc.

Just my 2 cents.,
  20. HugeAnon Member

21. Anonymous Member

Awesome. So they're working on a site that would do the things we mentioned? Maybe someone should contact them and ask.

HugeAnon, if it turns out that the leaktick site is necessary after all, do you reckon you'd be able to code that? It looks great.
  22. veravendetter Member

bump
  23. Anonymous Member

Just sent this:

24. Anonymous Member

Appinions Offers App to Automatically Analyze Torrent of WikiLeaks Documents -- NEW YORK, Dec. 14, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --

25. Anonymous Member

I don't recall any public distributed effort to catalog Mars features,
    but I may have missed it. There's a hueg crapload of Mars data, and so many different NASA PIs working on little itty-bitty parts of it. Just getting all the professional Areographers to talk to eachother and look at eachother's files would be a pretty impressive effort, let alone compiling the map data into one set, let alone inviting the unwashed masses to help.

if you lieked Sojouner, you should check out her big sisters ;)
    Mars Exploration Rover Mission: Home

Also, the Zooniverse people just launched a new project for identifying "Earth-like planets" from Kepler data. If spotting Markrabs is more "up your alley"

http://www.planethunters.org/
  26. Warhawk57 Member

I cant download torrent files (wiki leaks database) due to university software. I'm using my own laptop but they got the internet connection. can anyone give me some help to trying to work around this problem? I want to write an article for this project.

Or maybe some one could send me a wiki leaks article over this boards message system.

never mind i got a work around...
  27. Anonymous Member

28. Anonymous Member

29. Anonymous Member

Haven't checked this process. I didn't intent for it to replace Leakspin, just speed up the process. I also haven't had the chance to go to the website to see what registering involves.
  30. Anonymous Member

Currently in touch with the Op Leakspin admins about maybe including these features in their new site. If they're ok with it, I'll publish the correspondence here.

They could also post here. *hint hint*
  31. ninmah Member

Found a very interesting cable for Swedish media.
    I have tipped off major Swedish newspapers and will make a spin if something happens with it:
    Cable Viewer
  32. Anonymous Member

That is interesting, especially considering Engler's link to the death of Dan Mitrione:

A good overview of Mitrione courtesy braiinpanhandler at RI:rigorousintuition.ca - View topic - Coincidence Theorist's Guide to Ritual Abuse / Mind Control
    Thanks for the weird bit of info there.
  33. Anonymous Member

evileye3.jpg
  34. Anonymous Member

Sequence of emails between me and the Operation Leakspin site admin. Pretty good outcome, really!

His email address is simon at operationleakspin dot org, if interested people want to get in touch.

35. Jeff Jacobsen Member

¡Viva WikiLeaks! SiCKO Was Not Banned in Cuba | MichaelMoore.com

Michael Moore explains how diplomatic cables can report complete crap. His example is the cable that says Cuba banned Moore's movie "Sicko." In fact, the movie was shown all over Cuba, according to Moore.

It's a good point to remember that just because a diplomatic cable says something, it ain't necessarily true. That's why I'd suggest that any distribution of certain cables also review what other reporters may have written about said cable, in case they have found discrepencies with the "facts" in the cable.
  36. Anonymous Member

37. Warhawk57 Member

That list is incredible, I hope journalist will have at it. but, they wont get the attention they deserve most likely :(

what is the process to determining true reports on wiki leaks?
  38. Anonymous Member