Customize

Oh my what is this!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sue, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishypants Moderator

I also enjoy marking ridiculous-but-intended-to-be-serious posts as 'Funny'.

'Like' doesn't work for that.
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Right now: Online now: 604 (members: 50, guests: 554)

554 guests vs 50 members. People shouldn't be allowed to read and post in this forum if they don't register. Sue needs members who donate not unregistered guests.
    Donate!
    This message by Donate! has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
  3. Logging.jpg
  4. $500 already, keep donating!

Donate

Monthly Bills

$500.00 USD / $500.00 USD
  5. leafs Member

Thanks. As for guests, some might wish to have a look around before deciding to join and for that it's useful if it's readable. But patience is indeed a virtue and after changing style everything's back to normal for me, so no more complaints from me.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Anonymous Member

Links like http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media/mail-guardian-expanding-kingdom-sa-43300/ don't work.
  7. sue Administrator

For reference: https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/mail-guardian-expanding-the-kingdom-in-sa.37747/

Hi, these are indeed old Vbulletin urls and have been broken for eons.
    Here's how it works: you can redirect old urls from a Vbulletin import to xenforo's new urls, however since we did several imports over time only the last import have their old id's tied to the new ones.

There is no easy way to resolve this and is a by product of dealing with a rather large database / changes of product over the course of half a decade.

I hope this explains things.

On a whole other note, to whomever it applies, thank you guys and girls for reaching the monthly goal close to half way through the month, it's quite a relief and is quite motivating. I'll be honest in saying that it can be a bit discouraging to see the counter at less than 75% when the roll over nears. Hence, thank you!

For the short term future: awaiting quotes for some of the following features:

• Profile deletion - Allow people to delete their profiles.
    • Fork post to new thread - Reply as thread, sometimes you want to not derail a thread but continue a conversational tangent.
    • Fetch image embeds as attachment - Instead of proxying images that can expire at the source we'll store copies so that they remain accessible forever and ever (unless sue accidentally the whole attachment folder of course..)
    • Improved " ignore what's new" - allowing categories to be ignored as a whole.
    • Integrated wiki - This one is going to take some time and funds but will pay off in the long term. Using the same editor and features as on the forums so you no longer need to figure out two separate interfaces.
    Hence: Would you fine upstanding people prefer we continue using the occasional monthly excesses for development, or would you rather a separate fund is setup for development?

Are any of the above features something you've been wanting? Something else you would like?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WMAnon Member

Hosting images (or files) here is definitely something I've been hoping for!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Anonymous Member

1 & 2 seem pointless. 3, 4 and 5 sound useful.
  10. sue Administrator

You can already / or should be able to upload files as attachments to posts. The addon in question should (once commissioned) scan all existing posts for images and fetch copies that are still available. I hope to hear back from the developer soon.
  11. sue Administrator

Re: #1 removal of their account and account data is something people request on a regular basis.
    #2 Could be pointless depending on how it is used, there's imho plenty of situations where it can be a great addition.
  12. Anonymous Member

Either ignoring or missing my point. I don't think the concept of "Knowledge is free" wouldn't really be in effect if a largely based Anonymous site only allowed access to it's members. Googling things often turns up WWP threads as top result, let the entheta flow freely I say.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. sue Administrator

I think the person in question is trolling tbh :)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

1) No. Most of these are when people decide their username is shitty or haven't got off to a good start (from what I've seen). Either start again or stop your bitching/an hero - you're mistakes are here forever.
    Also, there will be people who start off with great enthusiasm and lose energy as time goes on, they might feel that deleting their account is a good way to end their efforts/get out of any obligation they feel they have but that is almost like putting the final nail into a coffin. Let them go away for a while and they may well pop back - impossible to do if their account has been deleted. Also membership numbers.
    2) I like this idea and could definitely be an interesting feature, subject to design.
    3) As I am a dolphin, I have no opinion on this.
    4) I don't think this is necessary. It's very easy to just keep on scrolling and given we're meant to be a 'community', every once in a while, something that may interest you in a category that does not might be seen. It won't be if people can just ignore vast portions of the site. Also people post shit in wrong categories.
    5) Let me know if you need some cash down the line, I'll probably have some more sugar to share in 2-3 months. Remain available for any emergencies though.
    I was going to post something mildly amusing but Walking Dead has just finished downloading and I'm going to watch that.
    kthxbai
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Anonymous Member

I can only assume that my paragraphs have gone to the twilight zone.
  16. nik Member

I like boxes ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Horseradish Member

Seems like cult threads are now starting in FOI section (media, think tank)...
    All subjects now on same page, headings/division between subjects not clear enough, lack of media section clearly in scientology section (so 'media' in FOI is the first you see) etc. so more of same likely. I've made the same mistake myself.
  18. rickybobby Member

[WINNER]
  19. Anonymous Member

The new dome backdrop, hmmm...
  20. Enturbulette Member

and never forget our little Anon sweetheart, "Funny".
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Horseradish Member

• Like Like x 3
  22. skeptic2girl Member

Sue, do you plan on bringing back the different buttons?
    • Like Like x 2
  23. We lost all our best members when he took away the rainbow button.
  24. OTeleventy Member

Hi Harold Hinkubah.
  25. Anonymous Member

sue got bitched at A LOT when he added buttons beyond 'Like' in the first place, but kept them anyways. Perhaps this is a case where the Metro style doesn't allow for any buttons beyond like/dislike, and that the Default style can't have buttons beyond what Metro has, so maybe it's a choice between keeping the Metro option and restoring the button selection.
  26. rof Member

There's no Moops.

Metro doesn't exist in my religion.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Anonymous Member

I've observed that the pictures that appear at the top of the screen as "current attachments" seems to consistently feature ugly and violent themed pictures. I am not sure from where they are coming.
  28. Anonymous Member

Many of those are from the IRAN Forum.
  29. skeptic2girl Member

It seemed like, though, people got used to them and liked them -- even *sigh!* - came to treasure them.
    If I remember right, there were at first a few extra buttons (like "creative," I think) and it was a bit much, and then after subtracting a few, it was perfect. (I know Darth Xander is especially missing being able to rate any pics that are posted of Ryan Gosling as "Dumb" :( -- which reminds me... brb...)

People complain for a while about change but then get used to it -- but people don't generally like something taken away.

HOWEVER, I don't have the huge and thankless job of running this show, so I want to bear that in mind.
    • Like Like x 4
  30. rickybobby Member

[AGREE]
  31. Anonymous Member

I don't think it belongs above the fold, as the first thing you see of WWP.
    • Like Like x 2
  32. Horseradish Member

I got a blast of scantily clad women. The thunderdome?
  33. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

From past threads (Dome probably). However I agree that they don't belong upstairs and should have a filter of some kind.

Now if Sue and Co. is working on it, then disregard. Then again, I can see if you have access to NSFW areas (like the Dome) then having them show up in that area is par for the course you take. Really though, I'm sure Sue is working on it and we shouldn't get worried.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. sue Administrator

Nope, somewhat of a family urgency on my hands that is going to take up most of the coming weeks. As it is: documenting specs for more addons than I did recently isn't likely to happen. Some of the addons mentioned should get developed soon.

Also no idea who "and co" is, but i'll let "and co" know they should help out.
    • Like Like x 4
  35. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Sorry to hear that...

The other Mods. Don't know if there is Admins besides you anymore.
  36. Anonymous Member

No, it's just been Sue for the last year or so.
  37. sue Administrator

The mods help greatly with the reports / community aspect. Admin wise it's a tad lonesome but then it's not as if I can just hand out root to anyone.
  38. Mutante Member

ZjWopYj.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.