Customize

[Oct 8, 2011] Anonymous vs Scientology Rally (Chicago, USA)

Discussion in 'Planning' started by Strong Strength, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Monster Mash

o6l2qo.jpg

Welcome! This is the place to be for organizing the Scientology demonstration in Chicago on Saturday, October 8, 2011. Please use this thread for anything related to the event: planning, questions, shooting the breeze, whatever.

Bring along: a cool head, weather-appropriate gear, comfortable footwear, a drink, and possibly a mask or disguise if you roll that way. Extra stuff like cameras or munchies are always welcome too. We have plenty of signs and fliers we can lend you, or you can feel free to bring your own.

Stuff to avoid: accidentally clogging the sidewalk, playing amplified sound at louder than conversational volume, going on Scientology property (including the little walkways from the doorway exits). You will likely be photographed and possibly videoed by the cult at some point. Should there be any Scientologist asshattery, stay calm and don't get mad bro.

Note on location: the Scientology building is actually at 3011 N. Lincoln Ave., not 3017. I just had to punch in the latter so that the map would show the correct spot.

Let the fun begin!
  2. Paladin Member

Thanks for starting the planning thread, SS. I would have started it but 'INSERT LAME EXCUSE HERE'.
  3. Darth Xander Member

Sorry guys. Won't be able to make this one.
  4. Fixed for truthiness. 2ymukab.gif

Eh, you weren't lame, seems like usually we sleep for a couple weeks after each monthly anyway as we recharge. Not like it's a big deal for me to copy & paste some stuff into a new thread anyway, takes like 30 seconds.

Uh, speaking of the plan, I was probably gonna skip out on the double event and just go to the org this month. Not to dissuade anyone else from going to Millennium Park if they want to, jussayin', I wasn't planning on being there.

Are we doing 11-2 at the org again?
  5. Paladin Member

I want to keep going to the org rather than the park because it looks like we put more pressure on CO$ by doing so.

And as for the time, as much as I would like to sleep-in on a Saturday morning, I think doing our protest around their lunchtime makes us more visible to their members.

Besides, papering their windows and taking our pictures gives their receptionist something to do. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dra Member

Unfortunately I won't be there either. (Taking a much needed vacation). No cookies this month :(
  7. ^ Well, that sucks.

Honk Sign Lady: if you're out there, sign up on this message board already and shoot me a PM! I need to give you some stuff back.

Epic Photo Guy: Not sure if you're still out there, but if you are, please PM me too! I really could use your input on something and it's Kind of a Big Deal.

All you other screwballs who have showed up before and are lurking around should register and post hello too!
  8. TeckAn0n Member

I will try to attend. I am not totally sure about my schedule for October. But if nothing else is going on, I will be attending.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 3rdMan Member

For this October in the spirit of Halloween, I suggest exchanging masks. Then if Scilons are like, wtf, you convince them your the person who's mask your wearing.
  10. Paladin Member

Welcome. I see you joined WWP last June. It's good to see that you want to protest with us now. If you can't protest this month, don't worry. You can join us at one of our furture protests.
  11. greebly Member

12. Darth Xander Member

Awwww man! How'd we miss that?!?!?!? Oh well.
  13. g_one Member

Hey everyone; sorry I went incog after my first meeting a few months ago. I plan on making it to this one, and look forward both to seeing everyone again and meeting new faces.

- grav (Adam)
  14. WHOOP. BECAUSE PROTESTING MAINSTREAM RELIGION IS TOO.. Mainstream..
  15. 3rdMan Member

:confused: ... wat?
  16. BailOrgasm Member

I'm gonna try. Are the demos always the first saturday of the month? I work on saturday every week, but if I know far enough in advance I can arrange to have one sat a week off.
  17. Major update - Oct. 8th event cancellation?

wthz4j.jpg

"I'm out."

So here's some of the stuff that's gone down with Chicago lately... We put up this thread expecting to do our thing on the 2nd Saturday of the month like usual. Only thing is, partway through our planning for that, we found out about a Scientology event on Oct. 1st. We were kicking around ideas in private, and it seemed like people were excited enough to want to give the Oct. 1st event a raid. It actually gained so much support that a lot of people decided they were gonna make that event (on the 1st) their big monthly outing rather than the original plan for the 8th.

So then there was a mini-debate on what to do with this planning thread. It seemed like most people wanted to leave it untouched, in order to retain some of our surprise value for the Oct. 1st raid, rather than publicly announce our plans and possibly tip off any Scientology guys. We tried to privately spread the word between us as best we could. Unfortunately, there were a few people we were unable to contact. It sucks, and we really missed you guys, but we had no way to reach you in time. (Side note for those people: it wouldn't hurt to sign up for the board or give us some other form of contact to you, if you want to be included in these sorts of things in the future.)

So at this point, it looks like the October monthly event is already done and finished. (Read its postgame thread.) I'm not saying nobody can do anything on Oct. 8th - it's a free country - but it seems that most people, including myself, are planning on resting up until November.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Actually, we almost always shoot for the 2nd Saturday of the month, and for exactly the same reasons as what you were talking about - it gives anyone interested in attending a lot of time to plan and arrange to keep the day open.

October was a rare deviation in the plan for us. As far as I'm aware, our next group outing should be Saturday the 12th of November.
  19. BailOrgasm Member

Kthanks. I will have that one off, as it will give my boss time to cool of about me having called in sick at five a.m. See you then. Great job on the Oct. 1st raid. It looked like a blast.
  20. 9376 Member

I'm not completely dead after all. I've been really heavy into the online side of things for other bits and pieces here and there. I'll also be going to the "OccupyChi Support Flood"and will be staying overnight with the kind folks in front of the Fed. I REFUSE TO STAY ON TARGET.

But, I do hope some of you will be popping by for that if you either have time after or the event gets cancelled and you are jonesing for your monthly trip out of the basement to be a social one. Plus, I'm gonna be there and stuff.

As if I haven't said this ninety times before, I am trying to get back in the swing of things with this side of the internet. Last time I had a real chance to, I ended up losing my train money AT the train station, so that was discouraging. SOCOMESEEME and I will also come see you in November if ya'll aren't hanging around the MP spot :D
    • Like Like x 1