Customize

#OccupyWallStreet Updates

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Anonymous, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

Never thought I'd be delighted to see military at protests.
  2. AnonRanGER13 Member

MTV Is Making an 'Occupy Wall Street' Show: Interesting or Exploiting?

3. The Wrong Guy Member

SF police appear to call off Occupy raid

San Francisco police appear to have called off an early morning raid of the Occupy SF encampment at Justin Herman Plaza.

Police called in reserve units and gathered with batons and helmets near the plaza this morning only to disappear a few hours later. Protesters who have been camping on the plaza for the last few weeks say police gave them a written notice saying they were calling off the raid.

Roughly 300 Occupy SF protesters seemed relieved by the news. About 5 a.m. today, demonstrators who had spent most of the night gearing up for a fight with police, climbed into their sleeping bags and went to sleep.

4. xenubarb Member

Mediafags should be instantly shoved to the periphery of the movement. I mean, fucking EMPTY V reality shows? REALLY???

Fuck Bryan and his fellow Occupy protesters for being media whores and selling out the movement for some personal face time on teebee.
  5. xenubarb Member

I wonder how much that cost the taxpayers of San Francisco...
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

7. The Wrong Guy Member

NYPD sergeants threaten to sue Wall Street protesters - NYPOST.com

"Deeply concerned" police sergeants are coming out swinging today against obnoxious Wall Street protesters, saying they plan to "pursue legal action" against demonstrators who injure any of its members.

Ed Mullins, president of the NYPD's Sergeant’s Benevolent Association, said his group plans to pursue legal claims against Occupy Wall Street protesters should they cause injury to any of its 5,000 members.

“In light of the growing violence attendant to the 'Occupy' movements across the country, particularly as evidenced by the recent events in Oakland, I am compelled to place these so-called 'occupiers' on notice that physical assaults on police officers will not be tolerated," he said.
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Quoted from http://www.occupyoakland.org/2011/10/general-strike-mass-day-of-action/

General Strike and Mass Day of Action - Wednesday, November Second

We as fellow occupiers of Oscar Grant Plaza propose that on Wednesday November 2, 2011, we liberate Oakland and shut down the 1%.

We propose a city wide general strike and we propose we invite all students to walk out of school. Instead of workers going to work and students going to school, the people will converge on downtown Oakland to shut down the city.

All banks and corporations should close down for the day or we will march on them.

While we are calling for a general strike, we are also calling for much more. People who organize out of their neighborhoods, schools, community organizations, affinity groups, workplaces and families are encouraged to self organize in a way that allows them to participate in shutting down the city in whatever manner they are comfortable with and capable of.

The whole world is watching Oakland. Let’s show them what is possible.

The Strike Coordinating Council will begin meeting everyday at 5pm in Oscar Grant Plaza before the daily General Assembly at 7pm. All strike participants are invited. Stay tuned for much more information and see you next Wednesday.
  9. tikk Member

There are so many cameras down there they won't likely stand out. Until it airs of course.
  10. Anonymous Member

Also - MTV is more influential than Fox News.
  11. tikk Member

This is one of the better articles that's been written on the topic; Dahlia Lithwick is a treasure.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PodPeople Member

What in the hell is this? Oh wait, I know. Insanity. Do they have huge investment portfolio's or something? Retirement, pension funds investment ties? wtf? Thought I'd heard it all. I don't even. Who's this Ed Mullins and what are his ties to Wall Street?

I am deeply disturbed about whatever the powers are behind the police actions, the arrests, the gassing, the harms caused due to, what, potential littering? Park sitting? Sign holding?

I'm forming an opinion that this movement is forcing the hidden agendas and those who hover above to lose their invisible shields. I'm starting see the faces of those evil shadows and I think the whole world is seeing them at the same time. We all know they are there. This oppression isn't some natural disaster. The police are the just the first visible line and there are many layers behind them. Already their actions are shocking, and shaking awake any left who are still trying to not see. I sincerely hope cops that want to leave, leave now and carry your own signs while you march out the door. Probably leftover caek awaits.
  13. eddieVroom Member

I've always wanted to try a large-scale synchonized toilet flush. High Noon on Wednesday (local time) seems as good a time as any...
    • Like Like x 2
  14. eddieVroom Member

15. Anonymous Member

Remember Remember the Flush of November...
    • Like Like x 1
  16. James Spader Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

Occupy Wall Street protesters stripped of their power, literally, by fire department and NYPD

Dozens of firefighters and police officers entered Zuccotti Park Friday morning to confiscate generators and gas canisters.

Fire trucks and police vans pulled up on the corner of Broadway and Liberty St. at about 8:30 a.m. and asked the encamped demonstrators to bring the items to them, saying they were a health and fire hazard.

"They made an announcement on a bullhorn saying: 'We are here to take the generators, could you please bring them up to us on the corner of Broadway and Liberty St.,'" protester James Bennett said.

When no one from Occupy Wall Street surrendered the generators, more than 30 uniformed FDNY and NYPD officials entered the park to seize them, witnesses and officials said.

The protesters say five generators were seized in total, including one which was biodiesel and ran on used vegetable oil.

The city says they removed six generators and about a dozen canisters of gasoline.

Occupy Wall Street say several of the canisters were empty, some were full of vegetable oil and one contained gasoline.

No arrests were made and the incident was peaceful.

Bloomberg said anyone who owns items can have them back, but they will no longer be permitted in the park as they pose a fire and safety hazard.

Brookfield Office Properties, which owns Zuccotti Park, have declined to comment on the tents that have been pitched throughout the plaza in the past week. Protesters have used them to stay warm.

"So far, Brookfield hasn't complained to us and asked us to remove people, so that's not a consideration," Bloomberg said.

"Unless Brookfield wants us to enforce regulation they have a right to impose - no tents - they can stay there."

18. Anonymous Member

Protesters in Nashville arrested last night
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/28/us-tennessee-occupy-arrests-idUSTRE79R4FU20111028

Metro Nashville police have always been good to protesters, Gov. Haslam signed the order and sent TN Highway patrol in.

<3 Commissioner Nelson
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

Hartmann: Is the Tea Party joining OWS?

Lynn Parramore, Alternet & Ex-tea partier Shane Brooks. What's going on with occupations in the rest of the country? Things got tense in New York City last night too. At least 10 demonstrators were arrested as the Occupy Wall Street movement marched from its home base of Zuccotti Park to Union Square as a show of solidarity with Occupy Oakland. One altercation, where cops appearing to be punching and kicking a man on the ground, was caught on video as they arrest him. Occupiers are on high alert around the nation in light of the increasingly brutal police crackdowns, but that's not stopping them from pressing on.
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

cecurran Caitlin E Curran
    Know anyone who has been fired because of their participation in @OccupyWallSt marches, etc? Send me an email: caitecurran@gmail.com #OWS
    25 Oct

How Occupy Wall Street Cost Me My Job

Joining the Occupy Wall Street protests has its dangers. You could get pepper-sprayed or end up in handcuffs. Or, as Brooklyn-based journalist Caitlin Curran explains, your boss could see a photo of you holding up a sign at a protest and fire you the next day.

http://gawker.com/5854118/
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

Sgt. Shamar Thomas calls on veterans to support the movement

Keith and Sgt. Shamar Thomas, the U.S. Marine Corps veteran who made headlines for his confrontation with NYPD at Occupy Times Square on Oct. 15, discuss his experience at the NYC Occupy rally on Oct. 26, where he was struck by the NYPD while shielding protesters. Using his social media accounts to rally support, Sgt. Thomas reports that at least 25 veterans showed up Wednesday night to walk in solidarity for injured vet Scott Olsen and to protect protesters from NYPD violence.
  22. Anonymous Member

Is there any feasible way to protest this online, like a group-spamming WNYC's FB wall with links to the Gawker story? Or is this a totally dumbass idea? Since I'm new, clever and idiotic look the same to me.
  23. xenubarb Member

Yeah, every little princess wants a bigass Sweet Sixteen party these days. And limo rides, bling, expensive champagne. And kind of kicked off the spate of reality shows bestupidating the masses with snookis and kardashians.

Yeah, it's influential. But I don't mean that in a good way.
  24. Anonymous Member

Uhm, there is such a concept as journalistic ethics and objectivity. Sucks to be her but journalists are there to observe and document, not participate.
  25. So Americans. How was your life and the life of people you know before Bush invaded Iraq ?
  26. anonymous612 Member

Better than yours.
  27. adhocrat Member

28. James Spader Member

This is Updates, not the nostalgia thread.
    • Like Like x 2
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

30. anonymous612 Member

We have a nostalgia thread?

I need to get in on that action.
  31. Glenn Beck Member

32. The Wrong Guy Member

nypd.png

This Finally Happened « xo99percent

I’ve made no secret that, as the daughter of a former police officer, I support the individual officers of the NYPD. I also take issue with chants and demonstrations that fracture the 99% – we have too much to overcome to play into divisions.

After Marine Sgt. Shamar Thomas’s now-infamous “there is no honor in this” speech and Mayor Bloomberg’s ongoing attempt to cut NYPD and FDNY pensions, it was only a matter of time. Many of us have stories from the front lines of Occupies about officers winking at marchers, turning their heads the other way, or letting protesters walk out of arrest situations. We must remember that these men and women are overworked, underpaid, and often under a lot of pressure. There are, of course, always those who take things too far (“my Bologna has a first name, it’s ‘A-s-s-h-o-l-e’…”) but Occupy Police is a step in the first direction.

More: http://xo99percent.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/this-finally-happened/
    • Like Like x 2
  33. 00anon00 Member

^^^^^^
    THIS
    Police are our brothers and sisters (literally)
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Anonymous Member

Occupy Seattle will discuss the general strike on November 2.
    Seattle haz history
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_General_Strike

government officials, the press, and much of the public viewed the strike as a radical attempt to subvert US institutions. Some commentators raised alarm by calling it the work of Bolsheviks and other radicals inspired by "un-American" ideologies, making it the first concentrated eruption of the anti-Red hysteria that characterized the Red Scare of 1919 and 1920.
  35. eddieVroom Member

You kidding? The teabagging clowns have been red-baiting in the local newspaper story comments around here for a couple of years now.
  36. SOJOA Member

We are not numbers.

Anyway if any protesters from the B-lo are on.....im coming down in the morn with Timmys, cups, donuts and bagels with cream cheese.....no cakes...well....maybe cakes but its gonna be earlier fuckers! Not good for your fangs!
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Glenn Beck Member

Not too shabby

So now what?
    • Like Like x 1
  38. The Wrong Guy Member

Well, this is where I point out that the video you posted (which is is ten days old) features J.T. Ready.

When the original version of this video was posted on YouTube, a Phoenix protester commented that Ready was invited to speak to the protesters but he declined. He in no way represents Occupy Phoenix or any group other than the one he was there to promote, his own.

Here's some background on this guy: http://tucsoncitizen.com/three-sono...to-arizona-state-capitol-this-saturday-video/
    • Like Like x 2
  39. Smurf Member

• Like Like x 1
  40. Anonymous Member

That porker needs to work out on the obstacle course a lot more.

dont-worry-sir-im-from-the-internet.jpg