Customize

#OccupyWallStreet: Struggle For Zuccotti Park

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Nov 14, 2011.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

This is a duplicate post from the Updates thread:

Hartmann: Journalists Enter at your own Risk

What last night's raid on Occupy Wall Street did to the nation's fourth estate of journalism. And what it means for our democracy in tonight's Daily Take.
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

Occupy Wall Street: protesters regroup after eviction - Wednesday 16 November | World news | guardian.co.uk

5:09 pm: Karen McVeigh is at the 57th Street sanitation centre where possessions removed from Zuccotti Park were taken on Tuesday.

Under a tunnel on the Upper West side a group of unhappy-looking protesters are standing next to a metal door guarded by four police officers. They have come, as instructed by the mayors office, to collect their belongings, taken during the NYPD's early morning eviction of Zuccotti pArk on Tuesday. But they have mostly been unsuccessful.

A couple have been turned away after police told them they were too late, that the place shuts at 3.30 pm (although the official notice on Sanitation dept website says 4pm).

Brendan Butler, who has helped take care of OWS's sacred space and altar for the last two months was waiting to find out what has been salvaged. He wasn't optimistic.

"We tried to keep a sacred space where people could pray and connect with their hearts. My friends are in there now but we've heard that everything was smashed and destroyed. Eyewitnesses told us and you can see stuff on the live stream of the eviction being smashed."

Butler who believes spirituality lies at the heart of the protest, accused police of unwarranted destruction and said that the protesters would be looking into whether they could take legal action against them.

"There's no need to smash items of that nature" he said.

"Everyone was outside the park when they began taking the property so they can't say things got smashed up in the action. They were tearing stuff up. This is going to be counter-productive for them."

5:14 pm: Karen McVeigh adds that Coreale Jones, from Brooklyn, emerged from the garage with her belongings – a couple of sleeping bags and a fleece, intact. But said she was close to tears when she saw four smashed up laptops and cellphones lying among people's belongings in the garage.

Police, who asked for ID at the entrance, refused the Guardian's request to enter.

Andre Lakes, 27, from New York, said that police told him they couldn't find his suitcase and now were holding onto his ID.

"They took my suitcase and it's got my name on it and now I've got to come back Monday" he said.

More: http://www.guardiannews.com/world/blog/2011/nov/16/occupy-wall-street-live-protesters-eviction
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

Philadelphia Police Captain Ray Lewis joins OWS protest and gives message to NYPD from Zuccotti Park

• Like Like x 2
  4. Anonymous Member

Good to see not all police are pigs.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

He's retired, so has nothing to lose by speaking up. Doesn't take away from the message, but it shows that we have a lot of work to do before the active police realize what tools of the 1% they are.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. 00anon00 Member

7. The Wrong Guy Member

NYPD arrest retired Philadelphia Police Captain Ray Lewis at OWS protests

As NYPD arrested Philly police retired captain Raymond Lewis at OWS protest, crowds were cheering. It comes as peaceful Occupy Wall Street protest has turned violent yet again. RT correspondents on the ground report that police have begun to arrest people brutally in Manhattan. RT producer Lucy Kafanov, who is on site in New York, is reporting clashes between police and protesters.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

They ARRESTED him?!? WTF!

I think this has nao proceeded to the next level.
  9. Anonymous Member

I think the smart money is on the protesters. No point holding out when it's 20 below in some shitty tent.

Win the hearts and minds of the public who are broadly supporting the aims of the 9 percent, wait until spring, then... SPRING!

Metal-spring-white-background.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Anonymous Member

Grow the fuck up.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

Over 9000 tons of awesomeness.
  12. telomere Member

What was he arrested for?
    Camping?
    Possession of illegal substances (food)?
    'Contempt of cop'?
    • Like Like x 2
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

This is a duplicate post from the thread at http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/a-thread-about-police-brutality.95426/page-6

NYPD blast LRAD: Sonic weapon used against OWS protest

Violent arrests are taking place in New York where a huge anti-Wall Street rally is underway. Hundreds of activists are marching across the city, pledging to occupy streets, bridges, the subway in protest against economic inequality.
  14. xenubarb Member

Scilons did it better at Gold Base.
    Anonymous then used the Gold Note at St. Hill.

15. Anonymous Member

16. Anonymous Member

Partyvans arriving en masse, raid on Zucotti.
  17. Anonymous Member

I just thought the robocam idea could be useful in NYC, and I know how We liek Dox.

Maybe the Polefags should weigh in?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

sry4derail
  19. James Spader Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

November 17th Occupy Wall Street Day of Action - New York City - NY Daily News

The lockdown in Zuccotti Park appears to be over after the situation got chaotic and violent on Thursday afternoon. Occupy Wall Street protesters were penned in by the NYPD, who did not appear to let anyone in or out of the area, but they now seem to be flooding back in.

Some protesters are now marching from Zuccotti to Union Square.

Over 100 protesters have been arrested today in standoffs with the police around the New York Stock Exchange and in Zuccotti Park.

The day of protests comes two days after demonstrators were evicted from Zuccotti Park, and two months to the day since the encampment was launched.

Updates and photos: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Showdown_at_Zuccotti_Park_The_NYPDs_raid_on_Occupy_Wall_Street_NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Char. Limit Member

They keep going like this, they're gonna run out of jail space.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Anonymous Member

23. 00anon00 Member

24. iraniam Member

• Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  26. 00anon00 Member

Apt.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

RJOQV.jpg

anonymouSabu The Real Sabu
    imgur.com/RJOQV - Striking image of retired Philly cop under arrest at Occupy Wall Street. #OWS #OccupyWallstreet
    25 minutes ago
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Anonymous Member

Not only did "New York's Finest" (by WHOSE standard?) arrest the man, they HAD to humiliate him like this. Glad it was captured for posterity.

The real, very ugly face of policing in the US is now on display for all to see. Good.
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 4
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, You Are a Target Of Anonymous

Uploaded by 91101anon on Nov 18, 2011
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  33. 00anon00 Member

34. 00anon00 Member

I swear, the NYC police can't help #Occupy more if they tried.
    • Like Like x 2
  35. salumi Member

Ya, I was thinking about the People's Library. Imagine a library of 5000 books -- which were willingly and gladly volunteered in an uprising of hope -- being stolen, dumped, disappeared. I realize it does not compare to human suffering and oppression, but still.
    ::shudder::
    The willful destruction of libraries is always inauspicious.

INAUSPICIOUS:

Part of Speech: adjective
    Definition: ominous, unpromising
    Synonyms:
    bad, baleful, baneful, black, dire, discouraging,evil, fateful, foreboding, ill-boding, ill-omened,impending, inopportune, sinister, threatening,unfavorable, unfortunate, unlucky,
    unpromising,unpropitious, untimely, untoward
  36. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  37. tikk Member

• Like Like x 1
  38. Anonymous Member

39. tikk Member

Really don't know. Every time I think it's losing steam Bloomberg and Kelly breathe new life into it. I remember being annoyed that no one would cover it after the first week and figured that was it, nice try. And now I'm seeing videos every night of other cities' riot cops feeding gasoline to the same fire. And each time this cycle occurs, the police make Occupy's point for them.
    • Like Like x 3
  40. lulzgasm Member

We let them know who really runs this shit.

Edit: Call me crazy, but I think I might have an idea. The Declaration of independence, read aloud, by the occupiers in every city, on the same day, to the cops. The whole thing, especially the parts that will give them a strange sense of deja vu re: what they've been doing to the people.

And if possible, not just the occupiers. Invite everybody. Even the Tea Partiers, for the reading. All political apects of the two movements set aside, just a message of solidarity over the true ideals of the founding of our country. Any tea partier who refuses is obviously not a true patriot but mere astroturf. After all, it's only a reading of one of America's founding documents, right? ;) They can easily choose to leave after the reading.

It'll be their opportunity to prove they actually do are willing to defend the individual rights of every American--even when it's the rights of their supposed "enemy."
    • Like Like x 6