Customize

#OccupyWallStreet: Struggle For Zuccotti Park

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Nov 14, 2011.

1. salumi Member

2. The Wrong Guy Member

Brookfield Properties Security Calls Me a Faggot at Zuccotti Park

These guys in vests in Zuccotti Park were ordering anyone who stopped on the public sidewalk to look to move along and so I and others wanted to know who they were.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

jamiekilstein Jamie Kilstein
    People starting to worry about no [official announcement of a] ruling here at courthouse but still awaiting the decision we were told would be here at 3. #ows
    3 minutes ago
  4. telomere Member

inb4 "no homo"!
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

6. The Wrong Guy Member

7. quantify Member

Well, that sucks, but not unexpected.
  8. salumi Member

holy motherfucking shit
  9. salumi Member

the livestream is so tense
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Judge: Protesters Allowed Into Zuccotti Park - Without Tents - WPIX

A judge ruled Wednesday that the Occupy Wall St. protesters will be allowed back into the park, but tents and sleeping bags will be prohibited.

Nearly 200 Occupy Wall Street protesters were arrested early Tuesday after the NYPD served up a "surprise" eviction notice to demonstrators living in tents and sleeping bags at Zuccotti Park in Lower Manhattan.

Officials say their goal was just not to clash with demonstrators but to clean the area that has been occupied for nearly two months.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who took responsibility for the early morning raid saying it was a decision that was "mine and mine alone," said the protesters can return to the park but without their tents and sleeping bags.

PIX 11 News cameras captured authorities dismantling many of the tents soon after the oust, disposing the makeshift shelters into nearby garbage trucks.

Tuesday morning a New York judge issued an order allowing Occupy Wall Street protesters to return to Zuccotti Park, just hours after scores of police in riot gear threw them out.

Police, however, did not immediately let them in, and the matter was again left in the hands of a judge, whose ruling was expected at 3 p.m.

Source: http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-ows-protesters-may-return,0,7528947.story
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. salumi Member

13. salumi Member

@AnonyOpsAnonymous

Stallman's ruling goes into detail about Brookfield's new "rules" for the park. bit.ly/tW3vxc summary: 1st amendment has limits.
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

15. salumi Member

wow, the guy filming for livestream/globalrevolution from his phone has been doing it for 16 hours straight...since all the ows media gear was taken by the nypd. what a hero
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

17. Anonymous Member

This will be interesting
    /popcorn
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 5
  19. Anonymous Member

20. Anonymous Member

Well... Today was Half Time, so now they've swapped sides and are about to resume play.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

Now that camping gear is forbidden, everyone is having their bags searched on their way in. But this was unexpected:

TheOther99 TheOther99
    Uniformed NYPD proclaim all food prohibited. Large tin trays of ziti, lasagna just walked out of #Zuccotti Park.. #OWS #OO #OccupyWallSt
    2 minutes ago
  22. Anonymous Member

You can't EAT in a public place in New York? Are you fucking kidding me?
  23. Anonymous Member

24. The Wrong Guy Member

mermaidsrcsluts No One
    @JoeyBoots I recieved an email from Brookfield saying the guy who called you a faggot has been terminated.
    38 minutes ago

mermaidsrcsluts No One
    Response from Brookfield: pastebin.com/njt8H6RQ @anonmedics
    34 minutes ago

Quote:

"The individual in the video was a security subcontractor. His comment was offensive and inexcusable. Brookfield has a policy of zero tolerance for such behavior. In accordance with the company’s codes of conduct, his work with Brookfield has been terminated.

Thank you for your concern.

Regards,"
    • Like Like x 2
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Occupy Wall Street Eviction - Liberty Square 11/15

On November 15th police evicted the occupiers from Liberty Square in New York City - protesters attempted to hold their ground but overwhelming force pushed them back a block at a time.
  26. Anonymous Member

If the PBA had a a pair of nut and neurons between them all, they'd stand with the 99%, to which they belong - like it or not. I'd like to see a city fire its entire police force.
  27. Anonymous Member

Cops vs National Guard? My money's on the Guard, more firepower.
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

Occupy Wall Street Protesters Return to Zuccotti Park After 200 Arrested, Camping Barred

Thousands of defiant Occupy Wall Street protesters streamed into Zuccotti Park late Tuesday less than 24 hours after police forcibly removed them from their camp. Police arrested more than 200 people, including about a dozen who had chained themselves to each other and to trees. As protesters returned, a judge upheld the city's ban preventing them from bringing backpacks, tents and sleeping bags with them into the park. Democracy Now! spoke with protesters as they regrouped after the raid. "The reason I'm down here is because I'm tired of seeing suffering of so many people while you have one-percent who is accumulating all this wealth on the backs of all the workers," says Ray Lewis, a retired police captain from the Philadelphia Police Department. He critiques his colleagues for "basically just enforcing the laws of the dictators, which is the one-percent. They're having their healthcare cut, their pensions cut, and their salaries reduced. And they don't even realize it."

For the complete interview, read the transcript, download the podcast, and for additional Democracy Now! reports about the Occupy Wall Street movement, visit http://www.democracynow.org/tags/occupy_wall_street
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

At least three journalists detained in Occupy Wall Street raid - LAtimes.com

At least three journalists covering the Occupy Wall Street protests in New York were detained by police during authorities' raid on the demonstrators' camp in Zuccotti Park, it was reported Tuesday.

According to the Associated Press, the news service’s Karen Matthews was taken into custody along with AP photographer Seth Wenig and New York Daily News reporter Matthew Lysiak.

At least one freelance radio journalist, Julie Walker, said she was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct.

In all, about 200 people were reportedly arrested early Tuesday in connection with the police raid on the area, also known as Liberty Park. Among those arrested were dozens charged with resisting arrest for linking their arms before they were taken into custody.

One City Council member was reportedly arrested, at least the second local official to be charged in connection with the breaking-up of an Occupy camp. A state senator was arrested in Atlanta several weeks ago when officials closed down a protest there.

Several New York radio reporters complained that they had been penned in with the protesters during the raid.

Donna Lieberman of New York ACLU said her group had reports that journalists were kept out of the park during the eviction.

"We won't see videos of pepper spray this time because police imposed a blackout. The NYPD wouldn't allow media near the park and treated reporters as if they were trespassers," she said. "It's not good for anybody when the Police Department keeps media out."

At a news conference, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly defended his department's conduct and said it was not unusual to keep journalists away when police are engaged in an action.

More: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nat...all-street-journalists-detained-zuccotti.html
  30. Anonymous Member

31. The Wrong Guy Member

Zuccotti Park The Day After

At Zuccotti Park, the eviction is complete with some hardy protesters staying awake overnight without any tents and sleeping bags. This morning, the park is barricaded and fairly empty.

About 1500 people did show up for a general assembly last night once the park was reopened. One of them was this police officer from Philadelphia.

A video posted online claims to be from the hacker group Anonymous. It says the group will target the New York Mayor and the New York Police because of the evictions.
  32. Anonymous Member

ling to anon vid, plox?
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

Occupy Wall Street Eviction Testimonial, Liberty Square 11/15

Moments after the arrest of his fellow occupiers, a resident of Liberty Square relates a firsthand account of the eviction and destruction of the encampment, an event that was emotional for police as well as protesters.
  34. Anonymous Member

^ recommended viewing
  35. Interesting observation: older police officers more emotionally engaged with the occupiers than the younger police.
  36. Anonymous Member

Maybe it's time to widen the target. Occupy Central Park, maybe?
  37. tikk Member

I'd actually say it's the opposite (and I've been down there as a legal observer, a lot). I haven't seen this guy, wish I had, but he's definitely an exception to the general tendency. The older cops in the NYPD tend to be white males from the suburbs, came up through the ranks under Giuliani, and until recently, have been spending most of their time at a desk. They're also a lot quicker to violence. Conversely, the younger cops tend to be less white (and include more women), are more likely to live in NYC (thus more tolerant), and talk with protesters more easily and comfortably.
    • Like Like x 3
  38. ItchyScratchy Member

Trufax
  39. salumi Member

Powerful video. Even though it's just one guy telling his story of that moment in time, the vid seems to really capture the tone of what's happening.
  40. Anonymous Member

Fuck 'em and THEIR LAW.

The 1% won't matter soon.

A year from now we'll all be wondering what all the fuss was about.

We Run This.
    • Like Like x 1