Customize

Occupy-related: Boycott Black Friday?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eddieVroom, Oct 16, 2011.

1. eddieVroom Member

Perhaps a boycott of Black Friday would be an attention-getter...
  2. Tangerine Member

I boycott anything I don't like, and expect others did the same. I thought that was a given.
  3. James Spader Member

Maybe you should explain Black Friday for those not in the know or not from the US...?
  4. eddieVroom Member

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, a holiday in the United States. It is regarded as the opening day of Christmas shopping, and the proceeds from that day account for a substantial portion of the season's profits.

Seems to me like a good day for a general strike, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)
  5. Tangerine Member

It is the day all stores have big discounts, and happens every year on the day after Thanksgiving. It's geared for Christmas shopping at less-than-usual prices, making it the biggest pre-Christmas shopping day.
  6. Anonymous Member

7. Anonymous Member

8. Anonymous Member

9. To bring attention to?
  10. eddieVroom Member

I lol'd
  11. Anonymous Member

I'll be shopping.
  12. Etain Member

My view? Not gonna happen.

In this economy, people will be grabbing for whatever bargains they can grab. And Black Friday is the Superbowl of savings.
  13. xenubarb Member

LOL...are you asking mainstream America to give up the national past time? (Yeah, I know you thought it was baseball, but in reality, it's SHOPPING)
  14. Anonymous Member

naah, just buy more shit and keep buying more shit...and buy more shit after that.
  15. xenubarb Member

apparently shopping is like gambling...the same parts of your brain light up as when you gamble. That goes away; you get your crap home and have to dust it. So you gotta go shop moar to get the buzz back.
  16. Anonymous Member

Cripes, these days finding a spare twenty bucks for the thrift store is a treat for me...
  17. it may save a few people from gruesome trampling deaths
  18. Anonymous Member

I'll buy shit, but after the new year and price drops ;)
  19. Yoveva Member

I agree eddieVroom, that may bring some attention to help the situation. Well done :)
  20. Anonymous Member

21. xenubarb Member

It's just not going shopping the day after Thanksgiving? No problem.