Customize

#Occupy Oakland, The Police & Scott Olsen

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

Actually, in one video I saw he did a triple salchow before falling backward on the front of his skull. Trufax.
  2. Glenn Beck Member

Because it looks, in the video, he had a 'dead fall' forward. If someone is injured above their left eye, they would have to be facing the police when he got hit by a 40mm projectile.

He appears to have rolled onto his left side after he fell.

Now, if he was stuck in the back of his head, the fall makes sense. Physiologically speaking there is no evidence of a moro reflex happening which would support a blow to the back of head. Brain stem, occipital lobe injuries, are much more serious than injuries to the frontal lobe.

I hate seeing the guy hurt, whether it be from a 40mm cannon, a rock or hitting the pavement. I'm not sure what happened, all I see so far is speculation being portrayed as police brutality fact.
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

So It Turns Out The Oakland Police Were Embedded In Occupy Oakland's Camp Before Their Raid

undercover-oakland-police-man-occupy.jpg

One of the Oakland Police Department's justifications for using non-lethal weapons on unarmed demonstrators last week was that the protesters were throwing rocks and bottles at them.

But what if it was an undercover cop, within Occupy Oakland, that started the violence?

That's the theory moving around the blogosphere right now, and it doesn't sound that far-fetched.

4. DeathHamster Member

Yup, watch the videos.
  5. Glenn Beck Member

I've watched the video. Forward dead-fall, rolls onto his left side.
  6. Anonymous Member

I've heard that if you watch it twenty times or more you start to catch a buzz.
  7. DeathHamster Member

He was wearing a large backpack, which is why he rolled.
  8. DeathHamster Member

Good trick, since he was facing the police.
  9. Glenn Beck Member

It also heavy in comparison to his size. He leans forward to counter the weight.

I saw that too, but when he fell, he wasn't.

Look at the vimeo video (best quality video) and watch it closely. He falls perpendicular to the police line.
    Go ahead and make some screen shots of him falling as you say. Should be easy for you, right?
  10. over9000OT Member

Elements of this article are total bullshit. I'm not even going to leave room for misunderstanding on this one:
    This statement is patently false I hardly know what to say. The friendly fire percentage in Vietnam was 10-14%... nowhere near the 50% necessary for the above to be true. Plus, the M79 or "Bloop" gun, was deployed at around the platoon level in Vietnam. Sometimes a squad, but usually a platoon of about 40 dudes. So this clown is saying that a large percentage of our grenadiers in Vietnam were slack-jawed retards that just couldn't stop shooting their buddies with illum rounds and tear gas? Seriously?

It's shit like this that makes people sound like they need to loosen their tinfoil. Really, if the above paragraph had not been in the article, would the author's point have been diminished? I think most rational adults can accept that a less than lethal round is going at a sufficient clip to fuck someone up. You don't have to throw out some bullshit anecdote to be convincing.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DeathHamster Member

Link? (Yes, I could Google, but let's make sure that we're all on the same page.)
  12. Glenn Beck Member

Glad to be of help.

13. Anonymous Member

Hey Glenn, let's have the video of all the bottles being thrown at cops at Oakland. Thanks dude!
  14. Anonymous Member

Isn't that what the helmets and riot shields are for, after all?
  15. over9000OT Member

A surprising amount of effort goes into "security theater". Officer safety is part of it but a big part of it is to engender fear into rioters/protesters.
  16. Anonymous Member

So, First Amendment in America is a bullshit? I do not understand. I always think America is free country.
  17. Anonymous Member

Still waiting for this video!

I believe DOX or STFU is the proper call here.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

Land of the greed and home of the slave.
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

Occupy Oakland a Turning Point?

Last time we told you about the violence at the Occupy Oakland protests last week, including police firing off a tear gas canister which left Iraq veteran Scott Olsen critically wounded. We asked if this represents a turning point for the Occupy movement. Find out what people are saying. Now, we've witnessed hundreds of arrests of Occupy protestors all over the country from NYC to Nashville and have seen cities and states use archaic legislation or pass new laws, to get it done. Do you think that we are losing our first amendment rights to speech and assembly as Americans?
  20. PresidentShaw Member

So you ever do anything besides posting RT videos like a spambot?
  21. Anonymous Member

22. The Wrong Guy Member

Union support bolsters Occupy Oakland strike | www.ktvu.com

A widely anticipated strike Wednesday by anti-Wall Street demonstrators in Oakland is expected to get a big boost from organized labor and established advocacy groups whose grievances range from school closures and waning union benefits to home foreclosures and cuts to libraries and services for the disabled.

The unions representing Oakland's public school teachers, community college instructors, city government workers and University of California, Berkeley teaching assistants have endorsed the broad-based call to action that is expected to include marches, pickets outside banks and an attempt to shut down the Port of Oakland in the evening.

However, the city's police union in an open letter Tuesday slammed Mayor Jean Quan for her "flip-flop" stance on the city's Occupy Wall Street protests, questioning her motives and why the city plans to beef up its police presence at strike-related events while giving other city workers leeway to participate.

"Is it the city's intention to have city employees on both sides of a skirmish line?" the letter said.

More: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/union-support-bolsters-occupy-oakland-strike/nFSYj/
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

Open Letter to the Citizens of Oakland From the Oakland Police Officers Association; Interview w/ Union | KQED News Fix

Quote:

We represent the 645 police officers who work hard every day to protect the citizens of Oakland. We, too, are the 99% fighting for better working conditions, fair treatment and the ability to provide a living for our children and families. We are severely understaffed with many City beats remaining unprotected by police during the day and evening hours.

As your police officers, we are confused.

On Tuesday, October 25th, we were ordered by Mayor Quan to clear out the encampments at Frank Ogawa Plaza and to keep protesters out of the Plaza. We performed the job that the Mayor’s Administration asked us to do, being fully aware that past protests in Oakland have resulted in rioting, violence and destruction of property.

Then, on Wednesday, October 26th, the Mayor allowed protesters back in – to camp out at the very place they were evacuated from the day before.

To add to the confusion, the Administration issued a memo on Friday, October 28th to all City workers in support of the “Stop Work” strike scheduled for Wednesday, giving all employees, except for police officers, permission to take the day off.

That’s hundreds of City workers encouraged to take off work to participate in the protest against “the establishment.” But aren’t the Mayor and her Administration part of the establishment they are paying City employees to protest? Is it the City’s intention to have City employees on both sides of a skirmish line?

It is all very confusing to us.

Meanwhile, a message has been sent to all police officers: Everyone, including those who have the day off, must show up for work on Wednesday. This is also being paid for by Oakland taxpayers. Last week’s events alone cost Oakland taxpayers over $1 million.

The Mayor and her Administration are beefing up police presence for Wednesday’s work strike they are encouraging and even “staffing,” spending hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars for additional police presence – at a time when the Mayor is also asking Oakland residents to vote on an $80 parcel tax to bail out the City’s failing finances.

All of these mixed messages are confusing.

We love Oakland and just want to do our jobs to protect Oakland residents. We respectfully ask the citizens of Oakland to join us in demanding that our City officials, including Mayor Quan, make sound decisions and take responsibility for these decisions. Oakland is struggling – we need real leaders NOW who will step up and lead – not send mixed messages. Thank you for listening.

More: http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2011/11/01/an-open-letter-to-the-citizens-of-oakland-from-the-oakland-police-officers-association/
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement – USATODAY.com

Spurred by an injury to one of their own, military veterans are mobilizing to increase their presence and profile in the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Wednesday on Wall Street, the New York City chapter of Iraq Veterans Against the War and dozens of other uniformed veterans known as "Veterans of the 99%" are expected to mass near Wall Street, where Occupy began Sept. 17.

Although they've been participating in Occupy protests throughout the country, vets say their ranks have been swelling since last week, when former Marine and Iraq War vet Scott Olsen sustained a skull fracture when he was hit by a police projectile at an Occupy Oakland protest.

More: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-11-01/occupy-wall-street-veterans/51031852/1
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Occupy Oakland Historic Call for General Strike

It was the calm before the storm early Wednesday morning at the Occupy Oakland tent city, the day of a planned general strike expected to draw thousands to the city's downtown.

At daybreak, occupants of the encampment were starting to rise and a half-dozen news agencies had already gathered. Some groups were starting to put together signs and outfitting a truck with speakers.

Today's planned strike will be the first of its kind since in Oakland since 1946, and it could potentially turn out to be the biggest demonstration in the East Bay since the Vietnam War.

The demonstration aims to shut down the city by targeting banks, corporations and the Port of Oakland in solidarity with worldwide Occupy movement that decries the economic wealth of the very rich 1 percent while 99 percent of the population struggles to find jobs and pay the bills.

And there is an Oakland twist to today's action, with a call to "end police attacks on our communities and defend Oakland schools and libraries (against budget cuts)."

Oakland Mayor Jean Quan issued a statement Tuesday saying she hopes the general strike is peaceful and puts the issues of the 99 percent front and center.

"I am working with the police chief to make sure that the pro-99 percent activists -- whose cause I support -- will have the freedom to get their message across without the conflict that marred last week's events," Quan said.
  26. Glenn Beck Member

A couple of pages backs....

You know... Cops are wearing protective gear 'so it's OK to throw shit at them'. I see protesters wearing gas mask, gassing them must be OK too.

About our boy Scott. After careful review of the vimeo video, I think Scott fell on his face. I don't know if he was rendered incapacitated by a blow to back of head, a pressure concussion, or he stumbled with his hands in his pockets. From what I can tell Scott Olson smashed his face into the pavement.
  27. 00anon00 Member

Of course you do.
  28. Glenn Beck Member

Besides the one claiming he was shot with a 40mm grenade launcher, do you have dox showing otherwise?
  29. 00anon00 Member

Do you mean these kinds of dox? Because I can make shit up all day long just like you do. But I don't.
  30. Glenn Beck Member

No. I mean actually dox. A medical report, footage of the shooting, a lawyer saying "were suing everyone for cops shooting this guy in the face with a 40mm grenade launcher." You know, something other than a bunch faggots saying so because someone told them that.

I clearly said that at this point this is what I believe from carefully reviewing the footage.
  31. Anonymous Member

So by your own standards, lets have video of bottles raining down on the cops, not some sketchy chick that nobody can verify being asked leading questions.

I mean actually dox. Footage of all this bottle throwing.

Or GTFO.
  32. Glenn Beck Member

There have been a number of videos posted already with objects and eye witnesses, including by news reporters. Chick seems pretty credible too. You seem to be implying that nothing was thrown at the police, in that case you're an idiot.

Still, that doesn't change this issue about scott.
  33. Anonymous Member

Where are the videos showing bottles thrown at cops? You and 612 keep insisting they only fired tear gas because they were under attack - I think you're full of shit.

Post a video to convince me otherwise.
  34. Glenn Beck Member

Really now, I'm not trying to convince you. Are you defending the argument that Scott was shot my a 40mm projectile in the face? I don't think so. BANG, trip, face plant.
  35. Anonymous Member

Good, you're not.

Yes, I believe he was. Are you defending that regardless what happened, a cop threw flash grenade into a crowd attempting to assist the injured Olson?
  36. Glenn Beck Member

I dunno yet. I know the "citizen rescue unit" wasn't qualified to asses the patient then just take him. They may have caused more injury to scott. I do know EMS will not assist until the area is secure, the police may have been trying to secure and protect the downed individual, that is protocol.

Tonight a protestor got killed. I'm sure ows shares no responsibility in that either, another martyr for the press.
  37. Anonymous Member

How does 'ows' take or not take responsibility for anything? We're talking about several thousand people at just this one protest.
  38. Glenn Beck Member

Apparently there wasn't a death, per Oakland presser.

Ah, I get it. There is no responsibility unless its good, if its bad its' just an isolated incidents. Like children.
  39. Anonymous Member

No. Serious question. What kind of object/subject do you think OWS is that it can be responsible or irresponsible? Is it a thing? A person?
  40. Glenn Beck Member

No, OWS's is like a corporation. A group people acting in concert, there is always responsibility, accountability.

I mean, it was just one cop that tossed the smoke grenade into the crowd, right?