Customize

#Occupy Oakland, The Police & Scott Olsen

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

2. Anonymous Member

USGeneralStrike GeneralStrikeUSA

Show #ScottOlsen Support: Send Cards, Wishes to US Marine Scott Olsen c/o Highland General Hospital, 1411 East 31st St., Oakland CA 94602
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

4. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

6. DeathHamster Member

You can see Scott go down at :23, right after the boom-bang.
  7. Anonymous Member

There was a sailor (in full uniform) right at the bike guard line, to the left of the officer (he hand his arms up, holding a small black object (book, camera?) in one hand. I think he turned away first from the slo mo. So maybe he got a good look at the officer.
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

U.S. protesters call for strike against Oakland | Reuters

An Iraq war veteran hospitalized after being badly wounded in clashes between anti-Wall Street protesters and Oakland police had his condition upgraded on Thursday as activists called for a general strike against the California city.

Former U.S. Marine Scott Olsen, 24, was upgraded from critical to fair condition overnight, a spokeswoman for Highland General Hospital in Oakland said.

Friends said Olsen was breathing on his own and could undergo surgery in the next day or so.

Occupy Oakland organizers said they had voted to stage the strike next week, intending to shut down the city following what a spokeswoman called the "brutal and vicious" treatment of protesters including former U.S. Marine Scott Olsen.

Olsen has become a rallying cry for the Occupy Wall Street movement nationwide.

"We mean nobody goes to work, nobody goes to school, we shut the city down," organizer Cat Brooks said. "The only thing they seem to care about is money and they don't understand that it's our money they need. We don't need them, they need us."

More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/27/usa-wallstreet-protests-idUSN1E79Q1CP20111027
  9. PodPeople Member

10. Anonymous Member

A copy of the US constitution, actually.
  11. Zoom Member

Anonymous msg to Scott Olson of Occupy Oakland
    http://www.cyberguerrilla.info/?p=3202
    A Pair of Douchebags File Trademark for "Occupy Wall St."
    http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/11959004086/a-pair-of-douchebags-file-trademark-for-occupy-wall

Pepper Spray Turns Lesbian OWS Protestor Straight (not actual headline)
    http://m.dailymail.co.uk/mobile/news/article.html?articleID=2053787
    (Typical UK reporting. The protest took a back seat to someone's orientation.)
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

BarrettBrownLOL Barrett Brown
    Reward for cop who threw flashbang now $1,200 thanks to contribution by @DrTikiPalm. #Anonymous #Antisec #OpUprise
    38 minutes ago

@nb2k_au Don't donate until we know if it'll be used, at which point you can e-mail me at transistor@hushmail.com. #OpUprise
    4 minutes ago

Photos of #OccupyOakland cops, some with badge numbers and last names. mediafire.com/?fv2fx4om2t44a #OWS #Anonymous
    2 minutes ago

@JeremySapienza contributes $100 to bounty on name of criminal "officer," bringing it up to $1,300. #OpUprise pastebin.com/Qd6arXbg
    11 seconds ago
  13. eddieVroom Member

New video going viral on facebook of Scott Olsen being shot, and cop lobbing a gas cannister into the group of people attempting to render first aid:

Look to me like it was the cops that were rioting. Remember the Chicago Seven?..
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

LauraAnthony7 Laura Anthony
    Oakland Mayor Jean Quan takes hands-off approach as tents return to Frank Ogawa Plaza after massive cleanup. Some in city hall frustrated.
    2 hours ago

LauraAnthony7 Laura Anthony
    Tonight Mayor Jean Quan plans to address protestors who repitched tents on Oakland's Frank Ogawa Plaza two days after massive cleanup.
    13 minutes ago
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Navy vet and friend of Scott Olsen denounces police action at Occupy Oakland

Navy veteran Joshua Shepherd denounces police use of tear gas at Occupy Oakland protest on Oct 25.

Video by The Guardsman reporters Joe Fitzgerald and freelancer Alex Emslie.
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

17. The Wrong Guy Member

18. The Wrong Guy Member

Hurt protester Scott Olsen was 'provoking no one'

His parents flew in from Wisconsin and spent Thursday at his bedside. When they arrived, Olsen "just blossomed," said Highland's chief of surgery, Dr. Arden Harken.

Dr. Harken said Olsen had suffered a 2- to 3-inch fracture on the left side of his skull. He is able to write and move, but is having trouble speaking, Harken said.

Olsen has a bruise on brain that is causing swelling, but should recover fully without needing surgery, Harken said.

Olsen was dropped off at the hospital by people in a private car and was unconscious for 12 hours, Harken said. He is unaware of the global interest in his condition.

"He wouldn't be able to comprehend it," the doctor said.

Interim Police Chief Howard Jordan called the incident "unfortunate."

"I wish that it didn't happen," Jordan said. "Our goal, obviously, is not to cause injury to anyone. ... We regret that this injury happened."

19. eddieVroom Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. vaLLarrr Member

The Oakland cop who threw the flash grenade into the rescue attempt definitely needs to be prosecuted.

The protests, with their thus far peaceful Ghandi and Martin Luther King methods, they might even work eventually.

But that cop knew exactly what he was doing when he targeted folk tending to the wounded soldier.
    He must be caught for the sake of whatever notions of "lawful" this protest may yet become.
    • Like Like x 6
  21. Anonymous Member

Seems to me injured enemy combatants in a foreign theater of war get more medical consideration from the American military than this injured American peaceful protester got from an American police force. I don't get that. Not only did other protesters have to deliver first aid, they were actively prevented from doing so by the police and then

(yeah I know, this thread is not for discussion, oops)
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Hackers target Oakland police after Occupy protest | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

As Occupy Wall Street protesters continued to rally in Oakland, Calif., hackers today targeted the Web site for the city's police department and offered a $1,000 reward for information on police action that appears to have left a protester injured.

Contact information, schedules, badge numbers, and other information about Oakland Police Department officers was posted to a public Pastebin page. Meanwhile, the department's Web site also was down temporarily this morning, according to SC Magazine.

"The time has come to retaliate against Oakland police via all non-violent means, beginning with doxing (releasing of documents and data) of individual officers and particularly higher-ups involved in the department's conduct of late," a statement on the Pastebin page said.

Asked for comment, Oakland Police Department spokeswoman Johnna Watson told CNET that the department was looking into the matter.

More: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20126760-245/hackers-target-oakland-police-after-occupy-protest/

Update:

Reward is now $1,600. pastebin.com/Qd6arXbg #OpUprise
    6 minutes ago
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

24. The Wrong Guy Member

KALWinformant KALWinformant
    #occupyoakland moment of silence, now raucous chant of "I am Scott Olsen. We are the 99 percent"
    1 hour ago

shoeshine Shoshana Walter - retweetedby KALWinformant
    Mayor Quan will not be speaking tonight. She has prepared a recorded statement to be released tonight. #occupyoakland
    1 hour ago

#occupyoakland announcement that an occupier was assaulted by police in a back alley, had his leg broken
    11 minutes ago

#occupyoakland #opd and #chp allegedly beat occupier in a back alley at 12.30 pm. Broke his kneecap. Left him in the street.
    2 minutes ago
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Occupy Oakland: Mayor's Words vs Actions

Mayor Jean Quan issued a statement after riot police fired tear gas at Occupy protesters trying to enter a plaza outside of City Hall in Oakland California. The Young Turks host Cenk Uygur breaks it down.
  26. James Spader Member

Now a separate thread. Feel free to discuss, or cross-post relevant infos to the Updates thread.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. eddieVroom Member

Occupy teh Pipes!

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

Oakland City Council Councilmember Rebecca Kaplan has issued a statement at
    http://kaplanforoakland.org/2011/10/statement-kaplan-responds-to-use-of-force-injuries/

Quote:

Councilmember Rebecca Kaplan (At-Large) issued the following statement in response to recent events involving protesters and police action taken in Oakland:

"My thoughts and prayers today are with Corporal Scott Olsen, a veteran of the United States Marines – and I pray for his speedy recovery.

The head injury that Scott Olsen suffered, and deployment of dangerous projectiles, absolutely should never have happened – and I am committed to preventing such harms from happening again.

Next Thursday, the Oakland City Council will convene a special meeting to discuss these incidents and to evaluate next steps moving forward.

As Oakland’s citywide councilmember, I will be proposing to re-clarify city policy so that we do not allow the firing of dangerous projectiles into crowds of peaceful protesters.

Oakland should have learned its lesson in 2003, when antiwar protesters and bystanders at the Port of Oakland were injured by police projectiles. Former Police Chief Richard Word at that time announced stricter guidelines for use of force against demonstrators. The United Nations spoke out against excessive force and the City of Oakland paid out more than $2 million in settlement payments to injured demonstrators.

As is too often the case, those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past are condemned to repeat them.

We must learn from, and act to, prevent this type of incident from taking place.

Like so many of the 99%, I am appalled that big Wall Street banks have destroyed our nation’s economy, robbed so many of their life savings, engaged in deceptive lending and unjust foreclosures and stripped from people the hope they had for the American Dream.

And I have long argued that we must go after these big banks for their abuses.

That’s why I directed the City of Oakland, through legislation adopted in May, to begin levying fines of $1,000 per property each day that one of these banks leaves blighted a home that they’ve taken from an Oakland family.

As I’ve worked on this anti-foreclosure legislation, I’ve shared the frustration of so many people who took action peacefully to make sure that the world hears a very clear message: we won’t sit idly by and watch corporate malfeasance tear apart the hope of our communities and deny people jobs and economic opportunity.

We must seek a future of peace, justice and shared prosperity – including respect for free speech and prevention of harm to the public.

I look forward to discussing my proposal on preventing the excessive use of force and hearing others’ ideas as we move forward. You can join this discussion at the Special City Council Meeting at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 3rd in the Council Chambers of Oakland City Hall, located at 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Oakland, CA 94612."
    • Like Like x 5
  29. whosit Member

More crazy talk.

30. Anonymous Member

I could give a fuck what Glenn Beck thinks.
  31. Anonymous Member

I will wager -- without reading all the unwanted posts: Mob forms in Oakland, clusterfuck blossoms, heads get busted. What a surprise.
  32. Anonymous Member

33. xenubarb Member

• Like Like x 1
  34. Anonymous Member

good video from the Young Turks
    I like this guy.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. xenubarb Member

Fuuuu-all the media talk about "clashes" in Oakland. Rabid aggressive cops attacking peaceful protesters is not a "clash." It's a fucking assault!
    • Like Like x 1
  36. 00anon00 Member

The police spokesman saying there were no flash-bangs, that it was firecrackers thrown by the crowd- dox? It's a classic.
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Anonymous Member

Videos prove the pigs are lying.
  38. PresidentShaw Member

39. Anonymous Member

40. xenubarb Member

Street detritus proves they're lying too.