Customize

Occupy New London, CT-- Report of Small town protest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pooks, Oct 18, 2011.

1. pooks Member

I thought I'd start a thread and report from the perspective of a small town #ows protest.

I live in the City of New London, CT, Population. 25671

It's considered to be the "city" or urban center of Southeastern CT.

On Sunday, Oct. 16th, I decided to join the local Occupy Wall Street protest, called
    Occupy New London.

I found out from a facebook page that there were protests held each day in downtown New London from 4pm to 6pm and decided to join in.

I made my sign based on a sign I saw on the internet and packed up a chair and my two dogs and headed for downtown.

6258046814_f72186fe37_b.jpg

6258047072_6c3d03e576_b.jpg

^^^^^ On the left is my Chow Chow-- Deuce. A handsome beast and my protector. On the right is Roxy. A rescue from Puerto Rico, part Chow, part mystery dog, she's my watchdog and is the alpha dog. She's a hunter that has completely decimated the squirrel population in my yard.

6258047570_9c85f51146_b.jpg

6258047320_5c78b91b89_b.jpg

This picture was taken earlier on. By 5:00 I'd say we had about 30 people. About 10 of them were from a Union -- the Amalgamated Transit Union -- and are the people that run the local buses in the area.

There were two crazy homeless people making a lot of noise and the rest were just everyday Americans of all shapes and sizes.

One thing I did want to report on was that we got a lot of horn love and thumbs up signs from the locals that were driving by. I was actually rather surprised at how much support we got including people driving porsches, hummers, Audis as well as trucks and buses. We even got a thumbs up from a couple of the local cops. It was nice.

I don't have much more to report at this time and hope to be able to keep attending the protests as my schedule allows.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Anonymous Member

Good on ya Pooks. I notice that the median age, well, let's just say it wasn't folks in their twenties. That's quite informative since it show more universal appeal than much of the larger centre footage.
  3. Wonderful report and photos, Pooks! Bravo! <3 it!
  4. Anonymous Member

Awesome lil doggies Pooks!
  5. mirele Member

Thank you Pooks!