Customize

Occupy Buffalo removed

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by SOJOA, Feb 2, 2012.

1. SOJOA Member

Occupy Buffalo had a great run but last night they were removed from Niagara Square downtown. It was a peaceful booting but 10 people refused to be moved and were arrested.
    After this happened the Mayor enacted a law stating that there can be no more occupying within 3 square miles of city hall.

Where the movement goes now IDK but there were never any accidents, injuries or arrests prior to last night. They were a good model for the Occupy Movement.

Best of luck guys.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Rockyj Member

Geesh! I wonder what our corporate owned police states are worried about?
    Just wait until spring! ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. amaX Member

Sorry to hear this.
  4. lulzgasm Member

Removal of the Fed and Corporate Personhood?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

Interesting. Based on what?

(Governments frequently forget that they don't start with total godlike powers. They only get what is granted by citizens in the Constitution. As well, the "rights of man" aren't granted by the government. Those are inherent and are only mentioned in the Bill of Rights to remind the governments not to trespass on them.)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SOJOA Member

I honestly dont know and I do not know what it is based on. I think though that it was a public safety ruling because during our winters here that square is where the city dumps alot of the snow from the streets. We have had a mild winter so it never became an issue.
  7. adhocrat Member

Government pushes the limit. It's what they do.
    If the people don't push back, we lose that much ground.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. lulzgasm Member

And every time you allow government an inch, it'll take a mile.
  9. anonymous612 Member

Okay, what does the law ACTUALLY say?
  10. adhocrat Member

tomorrow a government inspector will knock on my door and ask to inspect the apartment for 'chipped paint, leaky faucets' and other such horrors. The landlord was a bit surprised when I told him that I didn't intend on letting this city inspector into my home.

I refused them five years ago. What dismays me is the people I talked with were surprised that you could say no to them.

People are so nice, and so naive.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. adhocrat Member

er, uh, what law? The law is what ever the authorities can get away with.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. anonymous612 Member

Wow, you aren't very smart, are you?

Zero concern or sympathy from me until someone shows us the actual text of the law, instead of just their personal interpretation of it.
  13. adhocrat Member

Wow, you aren't very nice, are you?

I am saying the law is an ass, since there are so many laws no one knows any longer what is and what isn't legal.
    So some politician gets to declare what will be legal for his territory. That is not law, that is a war lord dictating to his subjects.

If you don't like that, take it up with the politicians.
  14. anonymous612 Member

Uhm, plenty of people know what is and is not legal. Just because you're ignorant of the laws doesn't mean the rest of us are. And I'm neither inclined nor required to be nice. If you need someone to hold your hand, the internet was probably the wrong place to look.

I still see no dox backing up the OP's statement about the Buffalo law.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/downtown/article719999.ece
    I do, however, see dox stating that Occupy Buffalo had plenty of warning and willfully ignored it.
  15. adhocrat Member

wow you aren't very bright are you?
    You think that because you think you know the law the cops and courts will give a fuck about that?
    That is stunningly naive.
  16. anonymous612 Member

That's hilarious and you don't even know why.
  17. SOJOA Member

Thats not true at all. They had a permit and after the permit was up some refused to leave but were arrested peacefully. So some ignored it but the rest was lawful.

As for the law thats what they were discussing in the media but I did not pay to much attention to it honestly but as of now there can not be any camping or occupying within the city hall area.
  18. anonymous612 Member

They refused to leave. Uh, yeah. That's why they got arrested. In the words of my people, "Well, THAR'S yer problem."

Dox or gtfo on the law. Don't make claims you can't back up with evidence, particularly when there appears to be zero reports confirming your claim.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. xenubarb Member

Since the Occupation started, have they accomplished any changes?

The madly successful 'Move Your Money' thing was launched by an individual woman, not the Occupation.

They can't even take credit for Breitbart's demise. Is this movement at all useful now, or has it served its purpose?
  20. moarxenu Member

No. It has now become counter-productive which is why Democratic politicians are distancing themselves from it.
  21. demarquis Member

"The Movement" is just individuals and small groups. That's what its designed to be.
  22. anonymous612 Member

It wasn't DESIGNED to be anything.
  23. demarquis Member

24. Anonymous Member

at the very least, it's given people who are disenfranchised with the current 2-party paradigm a viable political outlet.

also, it kind of redirected the political discussion towards economic equality, at least until it gets further derailed by all of this ludicrous anti-contraception and war demagoguery(sp).