Customize

[Nov 12, 2011] Anonymous vs Scientology Rally (Chicago, USA)

Discussion in 'Planning' started by Strong Strength, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition

DSC_0312.png

Welcome! This is the thread for organizing the demonstration against Scientology baloney in Chicago. It will take place on Saturday, November 12, 2011. Please use this thread for anything related to the event: planning, questions, shooting the breeze, whatever.

Bring along: a cool head, weather-appropriate gear, comfortable footwear, a drink, and possibly a mask or disguise if you roll that way. Extra stuff like cameras or munchies are always welcome too. We have plenty of fliers and signs we can lend you (please be gentle), or you can feel free to bring your own.

Stuff to avoid: accidentally clogging the sidewalk, playing amplified sound at louder than conversational volume, going on Scientology property (including the little walkways from the doorway exits). You will likely be photographed and possibly videoed by the cult at some point. Should there be any Scientologist asshattery, stay calm and don't get mad bro.

Note on location: the Scientology building is actually at 3011 N. Lincoln Ave., not 3017. I just had to punch in the latter so that the map would show the correct spot.

Let the fun begin!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tangerine Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Last month was an anomaly as far as the date was concerned - it got switched off the 2nd Saturday on short notice so we could surprise them at the Cultural Center event. If you missed us - sorry! We missed you too. Come rejoin us in November.

So as far as I know, we're back to our routine of having our monthly event on the 2nd Saturday, so I punched in November 12th for now. I also left the time at our usual 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. for now. I'm also assuming we'll be back at the Scientology building (the org), because that seems to be the most popular pick as far as location. Any or all of this is subject to possible change, but they seem to have been working out OK for us.

If you wanna do something different, say so!
  4. T-t-t-triple post!

Anyone have a goofy alien mask, or the ability to get one on the cheap? It doesn't have super fancy or anything. I'd rather it not be a particularly scary- or evil-looking alien, if possible, and would prefer that it be more on the funny side.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to brainstorm up ideas for another Mentos commercial, and it's possible that I may want to use the mask as a prop in the plotline.
  5. over9000OT Member

6. Time to request off for for!
  7. 9376 Member

50% chance I'll be able to scrape up cash to get to chicago and back and have enough for the L and back, but that's still a 50% chance.
  8. BailOrgasm Member

I have enough notice to get this one off of work, so I will be there. I will try to drag Mr. Shankley along.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. BailOrgasm Member

Put request in today. See everybody there.
  10. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
  11. Since nobody is talking, I'm'a start spamming this thread up with random crap.

I vote we get this song on the boombox and play it when something especially lame happens. (Cue wisecrack about it playing for the entire duration.)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. It is of course well known that careless talk costs lives, but the full scale of the problem is not always appreciated. For instance, at the exact moment you said "Dra likes this" a freak wormhole opened in the fabric of the space-time continuum and carried your words far far back in time across almost infinite reaches of space to a distant galaxy where strange and warlike beings were poised on the brink of frightful interstellar battle.

The two opposing leaders were meeting for the last time. A dreadful silence fell across the conference table as the commander of the Vl'Hurgs, resplendent in his black jewelled battle shorts, gazed levelly at the G'Gugvunt leader squatting opposite him in a cloud of green, sweet-smelling steam. As a million sleek and horribly beweaponed star cruisers poised to unleash electric death at his single word of command, the Vl'Hurg challenged his vile enemy to take back what it had said about his mother.

The creature stirred in its sickly broiling vapour, and at that very moment the words "Dra likes this" drifted across the conference table. Unfortunately, in the Vl'hurg tongue this was the most dreadful insult imaginable, and there was nothing for it but to wage terrible war for centuries. Eventually the error was detected, but over two hundred and fifty thousand worlds, their peoples and cultures perished in the holocaust.

You have destroyed most of a small galaxy. Please pick your words with greater care.
  13. Paladin Member

14. Hmm, thanks for responding to that. I personally plan on continuing on the 2nd Saturday thing though, for the reasons you described. Love meeting new people, but I'd have to actually see and meet someone in person before I'd even consider changing plans or doing a miniraid with them.
  15. Hey, HipsterZombie, are you still planning on making this? If so, are you interested in doing the Backin' Up spoof this month?
  16. Dra Member

Coooooooooooookies!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Calypso Member

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  18. Calypso Member

19. Calypso Member

20. Calypso Member

Oopsie. Guess you'll have to click on the link to hear the squirrel song.
  21. optuul Member

With u in spirit. :( was supposed to b there, but instead in hospital. Yippeeeee.
  22. Calypso Member

Optuul, you were missed!
    And a trip to the hospital... doesn't sound like something you'd been planning on. No need to go into detail if you don't feel comfortable but I hope everything is alright.
    I hope you join us next month and in the meantime, check out the postgame.
    Health and blessings.
  23. optuul Member

thanks, calypso, i will!
    i actually wiped out **on the way** to protest (lame, i know!) & ended up in E.R.
    nothing broken, just a nasty hemotoma & crutches.
    sigh.
    i'm conjuring up a more exciting version of this story for general dissemination among acquaintances. :)
  24. Paladin Member

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you can join us at a future protest.
  25. optuul Member

thanks, i hope to!

just for fun....here's a pic of the initial damage. nasty, no? (what appears to be a
    chubby "second knee" there below?.....that's the hemotoma. ew.

smallknee.jpg
  26. I, too, was in the hospital. e_e Afflicted with an allergic reaction caused by penicillin. Yaaaay.. I'll be there for the next rally, though. Promise!
  27. Paladin Member

To Optuul and ThatHipsterZombie,

I hope both of you will rest-up and heal-up soon. Don't worry about missing the last protest. There's always another protest on the horizon.
    • Like Like x 2