Customize

New York Times - Sunday Sunday Sunday

Discussion in 'Media' started by SuperChipcat, Mar 6, 2010.

1. andonanon Member

Re: New York Times - Sunday Sunday Sunday

I think about now Tommy is sitting on his couch with a bottle of vodka gripped in each hand trying to run Solo NOTS processes on his belly-button elves.
  2. WagTheWog Member

LOL and all that.
  3. MrAnonV Member

4. Anonymous Member

Fapped myself dry. Gotta rehydrate, Four corners starting soon.....
  5. Random guy Member

This is a major dent in the cults image, but it is not the win. A milestone, no doubt, but the real day of win will be when the papers start to ask politicians why they haven't done anything.

New York Times just brought that day closer.
  6. Lorelei Member

Meanwhile, the Atlanta Urinal Constipation has not yet gotten the heads up, and is far more interested in running stories on our local politician tards falling for the Vulture Minister's begging for awards and (more understandably) the brouhaha in Sandy Springs.

"Send a news tip": newstips@ajc.com

You can reach the Decatur / Dekalb County sister paper here: dekalbnews@ajc.com

Savannah only finds John Travolta "flying supplies to Haiti" to be newsworthy.

Contact info for the staff: Newsroom Staff | savannahnow.com

Nothing in Macon.

Contact publisher George McCanless at (478) 744-4290 gmccanless@macon.com.

Augusta *might* take up the baton; found these:

Letter to the editor (Tom Cruise needs to STFU about psych meds): Mental health spirituality can mix | The Augusta Chronicle

A 2005 (!) article about Tom Cruise promoting the cult and a link to Sci.org (!!):
    Tom Cruise lends Hollywood hype to Scientology | The Augusta Chronicle

Staff writers | The Augusta Chronicle

Columbus, GA: nothing

Ledger-Enquirer.com | Contact Us |

Statesboro, GA (college town): one Isaac Hayes obit (2008)

Contact Us (includes comment box on page)

Athens, GA (college town): nice article about Scientology's legal problems / defections (mentions Haggis). We had a bunch of AthensAnons at one point.

Defections, court fights test Scientology | Marquee | OnlineAthens.com

If you feel motivated, here are some more:
    Media Outlet Search Engine - search for newspapers, magazines, radio and TV stations worldwide
    Mondo Newspapers, The Worldwide Newspaper Guide, over 11,000 newspapers in 200 countries at MondoNewspapers.com

(You may want to hold on to those mondo* links for future 'poon purposes.)

Come on, news guys! You don't want to be the last new outlet to pass this hot potato.

BRB, lots of 'poons to fire.
  7. Lorelei Member

double posted
  8. Anonymous Member

from google fast flip. I scan for news all the time like this. More coverage is good. 1zoj1ud.jpg
  9. chrisanon Member

I second this. I never forget the political action the 1997 Times article on the tax exemption spurred.

None.
  10. Anonymous Member

this

Tax the cult and force scientology to pay compensation to people they've hurt.
  11. auchraw Member

I'll believe the end is nigh when I see it openly acknowledged in 1.4 million copies that Scientology is NOT a religion and that its founder was a crook who changed people's minds so that he could exploit them better.

People who leave are damaged, some of them seriously, some of them permanently. The last thing they need is reformed Scientology - they need to be reformed themselves into normal functioning human beings again.
  12. Anonymous Member

If you take a steaming pile of elephant shit, and reform it, you still have a pile of elephant shit. Although it might not be steaming anymore, and if you're talented you could make a bust of Beethoven.

Scientology, ALL Scientology is pure fiction turned into a con game designed for one thing only: to make money. Lots of it. It doesn't work, it never worked, and if you have convinced yourself that the tech works, you're part of the problem.
  13. Anonymous Member

picture12lp.png
  14. Belladonna Member

15. Random guy Member

I'd say the battle over the cults image is about to enter the final phase. The cult is irrevocably damaged. We just need to make sure everyone gets the message. Now it may be time to consider the next stage, makinkg knowledge into political action. What questions needs to be asked, who need to be motivated, and how? Perhaps our role is coming to an end, but I don't think so.
  16. Belladonna Member

17. xenubarb Member

You spelled 'Australians' wrong. :)

Also:

jesuscorn.jpg
  18. Mutante Member

19. Tom Socrates Member

I kinda wish we could see whatever the cameras in Miscavige's office recorded when he saw this.

I also read on the internet that David Miscavige fucks little boys. It's a power thing.
  20. xenubarb Member

Patience is a virtue. When the Headleys and Decrescenzo win their cases, Scientology will be labeled in the US as a human trafficking operation which runs slave camps and violates basic human rights.

Free to leave? Yeah, ask Marc. My old buddy Danny Dunagin ran him off the road when he tried to leave. If not for police intervention, he undoubtedly would have been dragged back to Gold on that rainy night.

The cult spokesthings are frantically scrambling to discredit these "apostates," suggesting they're only after personal enrichment. Hey, if I worked for 15 years for .38 cents an hour, I'd want compensation too!

Anyway, once these court cases are in the can, we will have epic ammo with which to approach politicians. And if a politician can turn a blind eye to Scientology abuses, (o hai Jeff Stone you tool) the media can easily approach them to show court dox and have them comment on their lack of attention to this problem.

If Scientology is forced to compensate these folks for their years of labor, if Scientology is forced to pay SO members minimum wage, more people will come forward with more stories. At that point, the government will have to take notice.

I been waiting for this day. I sense it is looming on the horizon now, almost within reach. It's the perfect storm, and when it gets here, Jeff Stone and others who have chosen to ignore the abuses right under their noses are going to be facing some hard questions indeed.
  21. Belladonna Member

22. Optimisticate Member

From the comments, something that raised the eyebrows:

23. Tom Socrates Member

Riot's, you say?
  24. PieratKing Member

I have been offline all weekend, but i get nytimes emailed to me and i read my emails on my phone sometimes. When I saw this article I was like WHAT? the most widely distributed paper in the country is talking about the bs in scientology? that is a major step in the right direction. The article I believe was well researched and well written, and I am happy that they didn't use the Scilons, "Anonymous is a group of CYBER TERRORIST!!!" angle.
  25. Belladonna Member

Okay, the article is starting to quiet down a bit. It's off the splash/front page. In order to keep this on the boards, it needs to be emailed from the NYT site.

picture12ol.png

Srsly, even if you don't like to register for sites, it's the NYT man; it's worth taking a few extra seconds to register and shoot out dem emails.
  26. Re: New York Times - Sunday Sunday Sunday

666 GET

ironmaidenthenumberofthe.jpg
  27. Optimisticate Member

That's what dey say.

Must be quiet riot's.
  28. Anonymous Member

I don't think anyone should underestimate the significance of the New York Time's piece. The Times conducted its own investigation into the various allegations that Anons and critics have raised and essentially found them to be verifiable.

The Times is extremely influential to other media, who look at a story like this not just as confirmation that it's true but that it's something that's worthy of coverage. I would expect this to lead other publications and/or television to follow suit.
  29. moses Member

Write to the local congresswoman

Congresswoman Mary Bono Mack

and Jackie Spier (who was at Jonestown)

Congresswoman Jackie Speier : Home
  30. Touchstone Member

I think we've been seeing the journalists of late use a more bulletproof method than what the Times did back in 1991: cover a focused story about a few *people* who have some experience of Scientology, rather than try to cover the cult directly. Editors are less likely to balk at fear of lawsuits with this method, apparently.

A coworker handed me the dead-tree version of the March 7 NYTimes this morning; the folks in the office already knew the cult was a con, but this spurred discussions at the water-cooler of "I knew they were bad, but this [insert cult atrocity of your choice] is ridiculous!" That's right: public opinion of Scientology was already bad, but as it becomes an even more informed opinion, it's only getting worse. They're shifting from "Yeah, it's goofy and stupid," to "this crap has got to be stopped!"
  31. Missfit Member

Laurie has been emailed to try and meet with Will Fry this week about the bestseller list incident...I'll keep you posted
  32. Anonymous Member

well played \m/
  33. Anonymous Member

34. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Thread is tl;dr so if this has been already done, don't care - This pic is perfect for this thread.

somuchwingraphicd.png
  35. Belladonna Member

picture15pa.png

ABC News Nightline
    More Scientology Defectors Alleging Violence

More Scientology Defectors Alleging Violence - Nightline's Daily Line

36. tikk Member

I think that's a good point; the article itself is, and will be less important than where it was published; recall that the White House sought the NY Times endorsement of military action in Iraq, and didn't move until it finally got it. And while Goodstein's article isn't nearly as aggressive as the St. Pete Times series, she left no doubt as to where she stood in assessing the credibility of each side's claims.

It's also worth noting that Goodstein performed a massive public service to journalists everywhere in laying waste to Scientology's membership numbers claim. It's been frustrating to watch for years now too many journalists publishing Scientology's claim to have "8 million" (or "millions," or "5 million," etc.) without ever questioning it, and the effect of that unchallenged lie can't be underestimated because readers ascribe credibility to larger groups on the presumption that it can't be all bad if everyone is doing it. That Goodstein simply went to the ARIS study and countered with the numbers found there hopefully corrects this trend with other journalists, who will hopefully see the publication of the article as an indication of which way the wind is blowing.
  37. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
  38. Belladonna Member

Update - it's now off the most emailed list. Jump on board if you haven't already. We've worked too hard to let it slip away yet.

Ze link
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/us/07scientology.html?scp=2&sq=scientology&st=cse
  39. Mutante Member

Scientology Super Power

Super Power Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sp_training.jpg

Real Super Power

BBC World Service - Special Reports - SuperPower: The Extraordinary Power Of The Internet

Internet users by country, 2007 figures from Internetworldstats.com

Internet_users_by_country_world_map.PNG
  40. Anonymous Member

Done. It seriously took under 20sec to register on their site, no verification or anything difficult. Easy Peezy.