Customize

New York Times - Sunday Sunday Sunday

Discussion in 'Media' started by SuperChipcat, Mar 6, 2010.

1. SuperChipcat Member

New York Times - Sunday Sunday Sunday

" NYT SPLASH SUNDAY: SCIENTOLOGY'S DEFECTORS SAY CHURCH HIDES ITS ABUSE... DEVELOPING... "

Buckle the fuck up, kids.

Edit:

Defectors Say Church of Scientology Hides Abuse - NYTimes.com

Boom.

[UPDATE]
    Oh what is dat front page center NYTimes

scan.jpg

As of Oct 2009,
    Sunday paper circulation 1,400,302 copies (about half outside the NYC market) [1] [2]

http://www.nytimes.com/gst/mostpopular.html
    For the entire NYTimes website ... Scientology article is currently:
    #2 Most Blogged
    #4 Most E-Mailed
  2. Belladonna Member

re: New York Times - Sunday Sunday Sunday

Can you vouch for how reliable these kinds of things are on Drudge? "Link" goes nowhere.
  3. SuperChipcat Member

This one will be 100%...he does these things regularly to make ya slobber. He has press contact tipsters everywhere. The link will work in a very short time.
  4. tazor Member

Okay this is going to be good. Drudge is very popular.

I can barely take all this win!
  5. Uncle Remus Member

Love that guy Drudge, post shit and doesn't afraid of anything.
  6. grumpus Member

It will be interesting to see if this will be a repeat of Nightline, where nothing more than "Davey is mean and hits people" was alleged.

Here's hoping someone talks about the fraud, con game, and crime syndicate that IS Scientology. The headline suggests to me that this might be another piece that does nothing to attack the root of the problem: Hubbard's fraud.

I hope I'm wrong.
  7. Belladonna Member

Funny, Gawker had the Gov Paterson NYT story leak, but this one's only on Drudge... Gawker too busy with all teh Oscar shennanigans, maybe.

Nicely spotted, and I'm looking forward to a quiet, reserved piece from the Gray Lady (oh pls oh pls let it be an epic NYT Magazine story).

PS
    Your rep is now on the line for making this statement. ;)
  8. Triumph Member

Drudge likes to string his readers along...
  9. SuperChipcat Member

If a mod wanted to change the title of the thread to "NEW YORK TIMES TO SODOMIZE MISCAVIGE! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!!" I would not object.
  10. Bob Loblaw Member

I don't read Drudge much anymore, but this sort of "developing" link is something he does from time to time. If there's anything that Matt Drudge does well (and pretty reliably), it's getting scoops like this.

Also, NYTimes article = national exposure = F*CKING MEGA EPIC WIN

Screenshot...
    25c694ccde.jpg
  11. Consensus Member

This oughtta be good.
    Bet your ass CoS is in scramble mode today.
  12. Bob Loblaw Member

Dear Sir or Madam: that is incorrect. The CoS is in HAIR ON F*CKING FIRE MODE today. :D
  13. Anonymous Member

Re: New York Times - Sunday Sunday Sunday

sounds like it will be good, the church hiding its abuse sounds like a new take. I could be wrong.
  14. Skeptic1337 Member

I like the imagery that the word "defectors" bring to mind.

Cold war era style reporting.

Carry on drudge, carry on!
  15. Belladonna Member

16. the anti Member

no...
  17. tazor Member

Maybe a couple of people haven't heard about it?

And can it be said enough seeing as it's still ongoing?
  18. theLastAnon Member

Well, let's go ahead and get this posted and out of the way now.

legendarythread1.jpg

The mother fucking NEW YORK TIMES.

Result of LA Press Conference? Anyone know?
  19. Skeptic1337 Member

NYT runs it's presses in about 30 mins. Some one should be able to get an advance copy relatively shortly. I'm too fucking cheap/broke to pay for it though.
  20. Mutante Member

kekekeke
  21. theLastAnon Member

While we're waiting...question to regular drudge readers. What type of stories does drudge usually tease like this? I would assume he only does this with stories that are particularly "explosive" or some such shit. Would that assumption be correct? What are we to make of the fact that drudge is teasing this story? Does he consider it BIG news? Or does he just do this to sucker his readers into sticking around?

Seems like the obvious answer is a big-time story about to be published, but I'm not a drudge reader.
  22. Skeptic1337 Member

I think he teases all his stories?

Usually when he has no facts just headline you get a tease.
  23. Anonymous Member

Yeah, he'll post any headline that compels someone to read it. If it's crude, tawdry, shocking, whatever - he'll post it. It doesn't have to be big, important or significant in any way. He does try to balance his links, so there's informative stuff up there as well as human interest and so on. He's posted a number of scientology stories, and failed to link many others. I think he's reporting this not because of the abuse, but because he sees the significance of the NYT writing about it.

But really, the fact that he's linking it does not necessarily mean it's a big story or has any huge revelations; just that the headline is surprising for one reason or another.
  24. Bob Loblaw Member

Well, even my more liberal friends would say that Matt Drudge does have a knack for picking out stories that are buzz-worthy. The fact that Matt's done so is a good indicator that all of the great work of the old guard and Anon is finally paying off...

Anon, FTW :)

reload, reload, reload, reload, reload...
  25. Consensus Member

I was just looking at that link a minute ago, and was happy to see operation clambake AND exscientologykids.com listed in their links section (after a bunch of 'official' scientology sites).
  26. Barry41 Member

Posting in a potentially epic thread
  27. Anonymous Member

I think you could say that, but maybe someone liek Will Fry could confirm?
  28. Optimisticate Member

HELLO

Breaking With Scientology - NYTimes.com

A version of this article appeared in print on March 7, 2010, on page A1 of the New York edition.
  29. theLastAnon Member

Thanks for the responses on drudge. Could be epic, could not be. Drudge is more about headline than content in choosing the tease, but has a record of picking viral-type stories. Sorry to be so lame about drudge, but his site never appealed to me visually and thus never spent any time there...

Here's what I think is epic regardless of drudge. It's in the Sunday New York Times. And with a a headline like "Scientology's Defectors Say Church Hides Its Abuse," it's already epic imo. Just exactly how epic shall depend on the content.
  30. Mutante Member

31. rof Member

oh my

page A1
  32. WagTheWog Member

Schwing!
    Can't wait to start reading....
    Oh, and... posting in epic thread . . . cocks... etc.
  33. JustSomeWoman Member

Matt Drudge has a huge Grudge against the Scilons. He generally posts links to anything significantly critical about Scientology on DrudgeReport. I think he must have something in his background about Scientology; family, friends, etc.
  34. Skeptic1337 Member

I would say excellent NYT piece. Tommy can't be too happy.

I guess now disconnection exists but it's similar to shunning and excommunication?

lol he needs some PR help to keep his stories straight.
  35. Anonymous Member

Make sure you don't miss the video. Poor Christie, she's saying the organization is not being run as L Ron intended, but how would she know? She was probably born after he died... Please, pick your husband instead!
  36. Skeptic1337 Member

Fair use snippet.
  37. Belladonna Member

Argh!
  38. Skeptic1337 Member

I find this quote to be very telling. Most people would probably say that the survival of a philosophy / religion would probably be contingent on it's ideals and purpose and not on "protecting itself"

History will teach you that all sorts of crackpot religions have come and gone and those that survive have a fundamental "humaness" at their core. Be it common law ten commandments, love they brother or enjoy your 72 virgins, see you next life, you just stepped on my reincarnated grandma. All those resonate on some level with people. The ideals will stand on their own with out need of defense.
  39. SickLab Member

but i thought the disconnection policy was all a lie?
  40. Bob Loblaw Member

I teared up when I read this...
    AWESOME.