Customize

New York City 3/29/08 Hug Raid

Discussion in 'Flash Raids' started by AnonNation, Mar 27, 2008.

1. KoolAid Member

Re: New York City 3/29/08 Hug Raid

It was great! 13 people showed up and we split into three groups. We had signs around our necks that read 'Free Hugs!'. My group made a beeline for the CoS where we passed out fliers right in front of it for half of an hour. One Scientologist girl ran right out of the CoS and jumped into my arms with glee, it was the most epic thing ever. Eventually they called the cops on us for 'Harassment' (lmfao), so we had to leave. After passing out hundreds upon hundreds of fliers, we went through the subway systems and came across two stress test tables set up side by side. We rickrolled the hell out of them! One of the scientologists was staring at us in a really bizarre way and chattering his teeth like he was trying to use OT powers, it was pathetic. We ended up in the same pizza place that we did last week, where pizza, beer, and lulz were had. :p
  2. Stabby McSpy Member

Pics or it didn't happen!
  3. KoolAid Member

I didn't have a camera, but many pics and videos were taken. I'm waiting for them to put them up too!
  4. AnonNation Member

15 people, dude.

I'm trying to go through everything Matrix shot on my camera right now . . . and most of it is completely unusable footage of people's feet and the Co$ awning. He did, at least, manage to catch that massive hug from the girl who left the Co$ . . . but he didn't catch her actually leaving the building.

Last time I lend my camera out to someone. I'll upload what I can shortly.
  5. KoolAid Member

:O
  6. 3_D Member

Haha~ Such good times.

I have to say it went much better than I had expected. I was a bit nervous about heading out alone since my +1 ditched, but I certainly don't regret going. I can't believe how much fun was had. My favourite hug came from a little boy. He was so excited to hug me that he ran into my arms. Good fun.

I think the hugs certainly made people more receptive towards taking information and learning more. It is a lot harder to just toss away a flier or brochure when you've interacted on a personal level with the person who gave it to you.

Thanks and loev to all who came and helped organized. Also, thanks for the pizza. My tummy certainly is grateful. Made it home without any mishaps. I hope everyone else did too.

tl;dr: HUGS FTW! Yeah~
  7. Anon_DESU Member

I am glad everything went well for you guys, however the rest of us didn't have the same amount of luck.

The four of us who after the pizzeria decided to go handout fliers around the CoS table were stopped by police officers. Two of us were taken by the cops and given summons. I and another Anon were lucky. I called Sethdood to inform him since he is in contact with out lawyer. I am trying to get on IRC but it is not working through irc.partyvan.fm and it was working earlier though. I got hom rougly 30 minutes ago. We spent quiet a while waiting for the police officers to finish the paperwork.

More information to come.

On a lighter note - I had fun, it was great. Thanks to all who came.
  8. AnonNation Member

9. 3_D Member

10. Erika Bauman Member

Much lurve to all. Win raid is win! I shall begin to upload and post in a few, I have to find batteries for my battery-eating camera. (It went through two in like ten minutes, wtf.)

I'm definitely up for this again if any one is going to do it. I'm even considering going down there for a little bit during 4/12. I'd hope I'd get followed then..just lead them to our party in the park. ;)
  11. 3_D Member

What did they stop you for¿ I mean seriously there were 13 of us rickrolling and fliering those tables not even hours before then.
  12. KoolAid Member

What!?! How could this have happened!? :mad:
  13. Erika Bauman Member

Fuck, I didn't see Desu's post. What bullshit is the Co$ trying to pull now?
  14. Erika Bauman Member

My flickr set. Not much in there because I really only took photos in the park and basically filmed the rest of the way. (Though I swear I took some photos at the Co$.. O lawd, ot powers baleted thems??)

Editing the videos now so there isn't long cuts of us just walking and yelling, also at some points I was hugging too and was..still filming.
  15. KoolAid Member

Awesome, I'm looking forward for the videos. Any word on what happened to those two anon yet?
  16. 3_D Member

Dunno how anyone feels about it but I mentioned during the raid that I though the Jackie Wilson song "Higher" would be pretty good for using during this campaign. Maybe for making a music video with hug photos/footage¿

I only thought of it because I hugged the Statue of Liberty today and she was so happy and grateful and it reminded me of the scene from Ghostbusters 2. It's a positive song. Just tossing it out there. Anon will do as they please.
  17. Erika Bauman Member

YouTube - 3-29 NYC hug raid

3_D, I could do it if I get more videos and pictures. I really wanted to do that with mine but I didn't manage to get enough hug video to fill up a song so I was like arg.
  18. squid Member

Hello NY!

We here in SF may have stolen your idea, but we had an equally amazing time! The hug raid is the way to go! I am so sorry to hear about cop troubles :(

We too shutdown a booth! We showed up and gave out hugs and the scilons packed it up and left. RE: weird stare guy, I had the same creepy expereince. I started asking the scilon directly: "Sir, can we talk? Can we discuss what is going on here like adults?"

STARE.

"Sir, I am not getting paid to do this, it is something I've had in my heart for a long time. Can we just talk about it?"

MORE STARING. like, not even pondering that he might talk to me, but just trying to burn holes in me with his eyes. wtf is that about????

glad to hear you had such a great time, and please read our thread for more details.

NY hug raid == SF hug raid! although, i think you rickrolling the dual booths is slightly more win ;)

if you want to see pics right now: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25227416@N08/

the thread on enturb is: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/showthread.php?t=6577
  19. KoolAid Member

He was trying to use his OT powers against you. We had the same thing happen over here, except a lot more creepy. He wouldn't stare right at me, but at some sort of odd angle while chattering his teeth, like he was really straining himself. Completely delusional!
  20. anmoyunos Member

SHE'S A HARBOR CHICK!

If you think about it, it's like it was a join effort in hugging the entire damned country.
  21. HailXenu79 Member

Dude, that's awesome!

Was she hot? ;)
  22. Anonymeep Member

Awesome to read this guys, though it sucks some got in trouble. Is everybody back home now? Any charges?

I love the footage, and especially photos and vid of the :anon: in :guyfawkes: needs to be turned into an "Internet hate^wLOVE machine" video. With some nice appropriate music.
  23. Anon_DESU Member

Alright about the summons: Two guys got summons because supposebly they failed to show identification when the cops asked them to do it. This is how it went down:

We were standing around their table handing out fliers, one lady from the MTA came to us to make sure what we were doing was okay. So far she said that we were okay to stand there and hand out fliers, we even gave her one of our fliers and she really liked it. The ugly Scifag guy apperantely went to get the cops after calling us cyber terrorist - So we are there handing out fliers and stuff and the cops surround us.

One guy and I are asked to demask right away and we do it once the cops said who they were and showed us badges. It seems that the cops who spoke to the to other guys must have been in a bitchy mood. According to them he didnt say he was a cop in the first few seconds, he just asked for IDs which they provided 30 seconds later. But that was enough for him to classify it as disorderly conduct and not complaying with a police officer. They were taken away to the NYPDs HQ down the passage way and on our way there one guy and I spoke to the cops who asked us to demask, they were really cool and just told us that no matter what we cant wear masks unless it is halloween or something.

So the guys now have court dates, as soon as I got out of the train near my apartment I called Sethdood and let him know what was going on so he can call the lawyer. He will do so Monday.

After all of that I got very sick...I had a fever and stomach problems. I was feeling great all afternoon and morning, all I ate that afternoon was one of the cakes Nation gave out and then when we ate pizza. But I was the only one who got sick....sooooo maybe the scifags did some crazy thetan shit on me? lol When I was standing around their table the ugly scifag says to me: "I can see right through your plastic mask...I can read you like a book!"
  24. 3_D Member

So they got booked for non-compliance¿ Legally we aren't required to show ID unless they have a reason to suspect that we were involved in a crime. It would have been perfectly legal for them to request a reason from the officer. I hope they took notes on everything. That is pretty messed up.

This would be a good time for people to READ these INFORMATIONAL BROCHURES I am always going on about.

I hope for the best for them. Everyone from yesterday was cool people and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to them for exercising their rights.
  25. anonsalz Member

Hey guys, I'm glad I was able to take part in the hug raid since it was made up of all parts awesome. Great job to those who participated especially nation (thanks for the pizza and delicious cake) and basically everyone else. I never expected such a warm reception from New Yorkers, many hugs were given and the best part is that they were all FREE!!! Moar hugs for 4/5, it was a great idea.

In all, it was an epic win for NYC anon. As I was on my way home I actually ran into another Anon in full suit and fawkes mask. He wasn't at the raid due to thetans and lateness, but he tried. I will definitely be there for the 5th so I hope to see you all again.
  26. sidestep Member

27. Erika Bauman Member

Do you mean this one?

2373375140_412b06af7b.jpg?v=0.jpg
  28. sidestep Member

29. Anon_DESU Member

30. KoolAid Member

Yes, but I'm still waiting for someone to put up that video :idunno: I'm going to have to buy my own camera soon.
  31. Mr. Kite Member

Great job guys.
  32. AnonNation Member

Finally! After my computer crashed six times, more or less, what Matrix recorded with my camera (or, at least, what Matrix recored that is worth looking at) is up on YouTube.

And, yes, KoolAid, the hug from the girl leaving the Co$ is in there.

WORDS GO HERE
  33. Akoli Member

*sad* I am so sorry I couldn't be there. . .I wanted to so badly, but one of my friends had a bad trip on Friday night, and by the time I got her home, and to my nearest friend's house I could crash at, I didn't wake up until like 3:30. . .not enough time to go home, disguise, and get to Manhattan. . .>.<;; I promise I will make it up to you guys next week!
  34. AnonNation Member

On the phone, it sounded like you didn't wake up until I called you. It's cool though; I'll see you next week, I guess.
  35. anmoyunos Member

I'm sorry to hear about your police troubles, but that video is a bukakke fest of win. Great job.

Over in SF, our police encounters were "So who's the leader of the SPs today?" "Still noone." *police walk away laughing*
  36. Anonvox Member

*Facepalm*

This is what I get for not lurking the local area protest section. I could have taken part in an epic raid. Instead, all I get is epic fail for not being their.

WRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111one
  37. AnonNation Member

The police who showed up with Scarf Lady were really peaceful, loving, and, yes, even understanding (nothing like the officers who got involved in Desu's story). They almost sounded reluctant to tell us we had to move (which wasn't a big deal for us since we planned routes to go all over Midtown and not spend too long in front of the Org).

Something tells me they believed the harassment story was pretty bogus and only acted because, as they said to me, they "were getting repeated calls" from the "Church" (probably ALL from Scarf Lady before she stormed out of the building to get them herself) about the phantom harassment.
  38. GuyFux Member

I'm honestly speechless. Great work guys, and much support to the ones who got in trouble.
  39. Akoli Member

Didn't you call at like 3:30?
  40. AnonNation Member

I waited until 4:00, actually.