Customize

New Site: whatisanonymous.org

Discussion in 'Fliers & Pamphlets' started by captainslug, Mar 29, 2008.

1. captainslug Member

New Site: whatisanonymous.org

DC Anonymous has been working on this one all week. Translation and content work is still in progress but the core interface and material are up.
    http://www.whatisanonymous.org/
  2. GuyFux Member

Re: New Site: whatisanonymous.org

Looking GREAT so far! :)
  3. Re: New Site: whatisanonymous.org

Very clean looking. Looks professional, or at least like you could use it as a template.
  4. Scythe Member

Nice work Anon, nice work.
  5. Re: New Site: whatisanonymous.org

Very good, very good......NEEEEEEDDDDSSSS DAAAAAATTTAAAA!!!
  6. Mål Member

Anonymous is, always has been and always will. It is that simply. Anonymous is everything inside of everyone. It's just the ideas that come out of knowing you cannot be persecuted or made fun of, for your thoughts.

No need for an entire website
  7. twelve Member

This. Will be filled with win and cake once it is complete, is my guess.
  8. captainslug Member

The content of the page clearly laid out is very much needed. Most of the notable Scientology sites are very hard to navigate, are not easy to read, and are not very inviting to people unfamiliar with the topic.
    Alternate domain name redirects are being worked on, but "what is anonymous" is an often asked question at protests and there are very few sites that address it in a clear manner.
  9. Kilia Member

Looking good!!! :)
  10. Mål Member

And there is a reason, because Anonymity is a concept not a being. There is no physical manifestation of Anonymity just many people who utilize it.

If anything we should have made this as a press releae and gave it to them. That way the can stop claiming "Anonymous is doin stuff gaiz" and say " a group of people who remain anonymous"
    IN fact, the only reason people claimed ot be a person named Anonymous was a joke: "As anonymous posting causes posts to be attributed to "Anonymous," a running gag on 4chan is the idea that Anonymous is in fact a single person or the true name of the posters."

I dont get why the media latched onto that one as opposed ot "newfag" or "chanfag" or something similar.
  11. Manumission Member

I loved it right up to this point:
    " Anonymous will be holding global protests every month. If you'd like to join us, you can learn more about it on this website. You don't have to join Anonymous to protest, ..........."

There is nothing to join. It isn't about the people protesting, it's about the cause. I'd rather see "You don't need to proclaim that you are Anonymous to protest. It's up to the individual to decide weather or not they are Anonymous" or something along those lines.

That and this: "a proud Anonymous member." for the same reasons as above.

Otherwise I think it looks fantastic. Very well done!
  12. Anonereign Member

Loving it, nice work.
  13. Anonymous Member

agree
  14. Legione Member

I feel its important to mention where we originated from - the stories of chans attacking epilepsy board and it coming back to us hurt our reputation quite a bit. Mentioning that the group of people here at enturb are not neccesarily the group at the chans is important, and if you put it on your website then that saves me from the trouble of making my own.

Coming back to it, it doesnt appear to really be functioning. Clicking the sidebar links takes me to the index page, no matter what it is that i click. Screen just flashes and im at .index
  15. PresidentIke Member

Hiya! I'm President Ike, the person who made the website. CaptainSlug just showed me this thread and all the great comments you all have left, so I thought I'd take a minute to respond. :)

Thanks very very much for that constructive bit of advice! I had been struggling with a way to explain that idea that you don't have to be a part of Anonymous to protest, and in the process I chose all the wrong words. :) Thanks for pointing that out! I've adjusted that as well as the other bit you mentioned and I'd love to know what you think of the changes. :)

Don't worry, where Anonymous comes from and all that important information will be covered in the Anonymous section. I'm writing a complete FAQ, introductions to the group, videos about how the group operates, and I'm trying to be exceedingly clear that we have no leader, and that unfortunately some people abuse the anonymity to do stupid things. I just didn't want to overload the front page with too much information, so the front page is just an overview of the big picture.
    And yeah, I know the rest of the site isn't fully functional yet - I'm still working on it. But I wanted to put up the front page so I could get some feedback on the design and menu structure.

One thing I do want to make clear is that I'm making this site with regular people in mind. This isn't a site made for people who are already a part of Anonymous, it's for people out in the real world who don't really participate in online forums, who don't understand the nature of what we're doing, but still have very valid questions about what this is all about. This site is written with them in mind, so some of the language may seem a bit funny and meme-free, but that's on purpose. I want this to be a site that anyone can come to and understand, so the writing will be in a style that's more broad-reaching and "normal" than typical Anon stuffs.

Um, I don't mean to be rude, but by that line of reasoning, that would preclude us from gathering in public to protest. If we're not supposed to have any physical manifestations of Anonymous, then we'd all just be floating ethereal nothings that never really did anything.
    If you're worried about the site being seen as an official Anonymous site, or made by some Anonymous hierarchy, I'm trying very very hard to dissuade that. Everything I'm writing for the site will be written from my own perspective as just one Anonymous. When other people contribute, they'll be talking from their perspective. And every page will have a disclaimer on it making it painfully clear that there's no such thing as an official Anonymous page. I'm even writing an extensive legal disclaimer that'll go into great detail on that issue. So you don't have to worry so much. :)

Thanks, everybody, for taking the time to look at the site and for giving such great feedback!! I'll let you know once I've added more stuff to the site, but keep checking back from time to time - I'll be adding more to the site every day. :)
  16. desu Member

FYI your site acts really buggy in Opera. The title image is cut off and the contents menu jumps all over the place when the mouse is over it.

Honesly though, who uses Opera?
  17. for_the_lulz Member

I'm raging like a motherfucker.

No, no, no. You are not anonymous. Your site does not speak for anonymous.

And most importantly, anonymous has no morals.

You're just greenpeace on crack. It would be better for you to disassociate yourself with your *chan roots, and your status as anonymous, because you clearly have strayed from what anonymous is and always has been.
  18. BahamutXone Member

The fact remains that someone still has to explain what we are to the non-anons. People respond more favorably when the information they are looking for is easy to locate.

Also, it has occurred to me that for the purposes of defeating Scientology, it would be better to be publicly perceived as a group of people doing something we believe is right, rather than an amoral mob of social recluses.
  19. AnonyFag Member

It'd be really nice if this thread didn't wind up in the DOME because of asshat, non-productive comments that add nothing to the constructive criticism of the new site. those with absolutely nothing good to say or positive to add, kindly STFU and GB2/b/
  20. exOT8Michael Member

Hey DC...looking good !!!
    Can't wait to see the whole edifice when u get done. Wow.
    Caek 4 u.
  21. Re: New Site: whatisanonymous.org

Looks great, very clean. However, whenever I click a link, it takes me right back to the main page. I may be doin it wrong, so I'll check back with it in a while and update THIS post if it starts working. I use Mozilla, btw.
  22. John Nonymous Member

Looks great. I like it. Except no links work like AnonaroundBuff there said.
  23. captainslug Member

The content is being revised. Will be up once the full directory of information is finished.
  24. Re: New Site: whatisanonymous.org

but there are so many who do not understand
  25. me2 Member

nicely done! can't wait to see the finished product.
  26. Anon453453 Member

Anonymous is the whole, singular is Anon.

"I am a proud Anon."

You are not a member of anything... as was so eloquently put earlier ;)

Also, recommend data on Operation Normandy.
  27. anon14148 Member

to put it in a way you'd best understand, you are part of the cancer that is killing this movement. This movement started with the chans and Anonymous, but it has grown far larger.

the name of your favorite group of internet hooligans has been coopted for a greater cause. i'd venture that there are quite a number of people here who are not doing it simply for the lulz, but rather to enact important social change. there's not so much you can do about it.
  28. Mr. Kite Member

The site looks good, agreed with the taking out of "member" and the surrounding topics.

As for "for_the_luz" I protest with the group because the group has given a platform to something that was previously very difficult to do. You can do it for the luz but while you are doing it for lauphs, people's lifes are being ruined by the church. You are surrounded by true caring individuals whether you like it or not. You claim that captainslug does not speak for anonomous. I would say that you don't either. There is no one person that does, we all speak for us. We are legion and it is only as legion that we succeed. So get over it and give me a hug.
  29. Eff Member

I have to agree with Mål here. Anonymous is not an organization, and it's probably a mistake to even think of it as a group. It's convenient for people who want to protest anonymously to have some kind of label to stand behind, and that's what Anonymous is.

If we act as though people either are or are not members of Anonymous, then it does make us somewhat guilty of the DDoS etc. by association. How can we take members of Scientology to task for the crimes of their fellow members while we at the same time say that we're a group who has members that commit crimes?
  30. Guy Fawkes Member

That's true, but their content is still superb. A simple design re-do could fix that for them. I would encourage Operation Clambake to undertake a redesign, since theirs is the most comprehensive. Stop looking like an old Geocities page and start look like professionals.

Nice to see "whatisanonymous.org" is showing up as a Private Registration under WhoIs databases, listed only by the registering company. Of course, given Fair Game, what other option did you have?

The only global organization that frightens me more than CoS is Islamic Fundamentalism. Fair Game to them includes a bullet or a bomb. :rant:
  31. Manumission Member

Me likey. :) Once the links work it'll be aces.
  32. captainslug Member

33. Re: New Site: whatisanonymous.org

I hope you've already thought of this, but make sure your site is secured against script kiddies from /b/ and /i/, we don't need people going to your site and finding pictures of decapitated heads and aborted fetuses.
  34. anoninyoface Member

Phenomenal site, too bad I can't use on a sign or a flier for 4/12. I'm glad to see our cause being completely explained on a website. And gigantic kudos for the good work, hopefully it'll be finished in time for the protest in May so I can use and abuse it on my signs. :flowers:
  35. PresidentIke Member

Thanks for all the constructive and positive comments, everybody!! :D

Don't worry, it should be up and running by 4/12. I'm adding more and more every day! I'm almost done with the "Anonymous" section - the FAQ took forever but I'm really proud of it. I'd love for you all to check it out and let me know of any errors that need to be corrected. Or even if there's something that could be said better, that would be great too. Just please don't kill me if I made a mistake! I'm super doped up on pain meds at the moment and I wrote it all at like 4 in the morning, so I'm sure there are several errors in there.
    Anyway, you can check out the FAQ at http://www.whatisanonymous.org/faq.html
    (Hehe, I'm especially proud of my answer to the question about Rick Rolling... be sure to check out the link to the LA Times interview) ;)

Also, great news! I got a kick butt domain name! Now you can also get to the site from:
    ProtestScientology.com! AND .net & .org!!!
    I couldn't believe that one was still available! I'm super excited now, hehe.

So please, feel free to include the domain on protest sign designs for 4/12 - I promise to have the majority of the site up by then! Here are all the domains you can use to point to the site:
    WhatIsAnonymous.org
    WhatIsAnonymous.net
    ProtestScientology.com
    ProtestScientology.net
    ProtestScientology.org
    All of those go to exactly the same site. Have fun, and if you design any signs using these URLs, I would *love* to see them! Also, if you don't mind, I'd also love to host several on the site for other people to download. :)
    Thanks again, everybody! 9000 internets for you!

I completely agree! That's why in every section of the site, I'm only going to write a short little blurb of an introduction to the topic, and then link to the best content available on the other sites. It's just a kind of clearing house for all the best content, evidence, and information from all the other sites. Then, once the site is complete, I'm going to use it as an example of how I would personally redesign the various main websites. Not only that, but if I'm able to, I'm also going to offer my services to them for free if they want help with redesigns and organization. I just figured eh, I should probably make something to prove what I can do before going around telling people I can do it better, you know?
  36. Re: New Site: whatisanonymous.org

I agree with Operation Clambake needing a visual fixer upper- it could use a cleaner look. Also, PresidentIke, thanks for that list there. When I was typing up fliers, I was constantly checking to see whether I'd gotten org/com/net correct. Ahh, simpleness.
    But, this bit right here "we welcome new members - even though there's really no such thing as members of Anonymous..." Is sort of.. what?

On a different note, I rather like the fact that the actual story of why Anon lieks mudkipz and cake was tweaked for the public.
  37. AnonTruth Member

kudos. + 10 pts.
  38. PresidentIke Member

You're welcome!! I would *love* to see the posters you're making once you're done with them! I'm trying to make a fairly decent protest materials section, so people can download and print out signs without too much hassle.

Yeah, you're right about the "...what?" part, I'll reword that. I've been having a difficult time with wording some of it, because inevitably, people do end up asking, "Can I join anonymous?" The short answer is, yes you can. But the long answer is, "There's really no joining procedure, you just are anonymous if you say you are." The whole site is written for the uninitiated, so it's hard to answer their questions in a way that makes sense, but also satisfies the current anons and their understanding of what the group is. You know what I mean? I'll definitely go reword that, cause you're right, it doesn't make much sense. But yeah... I'm still not sure how to convey that... I'll work on it, though, and thank you for pointing it out!

Hehe... I'm glad you weren't irritated by that. When I was writing the faq, I was really concerned that everybody would get angry saying that I wasn't putting all the information up there. But... where mudkips come from is really a non-issue, so I felt that if I did go into every detail about their true origins, it would turn people off and distract them from the much more important issue of Scientology.
    I tried to write everything while keeping in mind a nice little middle aged Mom from Wisconsin, trying to think of what would she object to so terribly that it would keep her from reading the rest of the site. A story of some kid humping a mudkip would definitely do that, so I tried to just present as much information as possible while being both honest and non-confrontational. But I do think it's important that they understand at least a bit of where our more popular memes come from, so they aren't distracted by the culture shock.

Please keep checking back, I'm updating the site more and more. Yesterday I finished the sections about Xenu, Dianetics, Physical Illness, and all the links and stuff. Also, I'm going to hide various easter eggs throughout the site, including a double RickRoll and a special LolCat gallery. :)
    For the links, if you all know of other good specifically Anonymous websites, I'd love to hear about them. I know I had a whole list of them somewhere but I can't find it...

Thanks again for all the help! Keep it coming!
  39. PresidentIke Member

Okay! I reworded it and added an additional question to the FAQ, to explain exactly what "Anon" means. Here's the question AnonaroundBuff suggested needed to be changed:

Is that better?

Now, for the explanation of what anon means:

Please let me know what you think! Thanks again!
  40. PresidentIke Member

I owe you guys an apology - I'm really sorry I didn't get the site all the way done in time for the protest. My week kind of got away from me cause... well, I found out I have a defect with my heart. It kinda freaked me out and I ended up having to go to the doctor a lot. I did as much as I could considering the circumstances, I just hope you all don't mind too much.

I did get a fair amount done, though, considering. I finished the following sections: How It Began, Doctrine, Videos, Links, Anonymous, and a few random pages, including Xenu, Operation Freakout, Physical Illness (teehee, kind of a funny coincidence...), and a couple more here and there. Sorry I couldn't do more!

On a side note, is there anyone here who might be willing to do some translating? I'd like to be able to put the site up in a couple other languages, even if it's just the bare basics.
    Thanks for your patience everybody! I'll try to get caught up...