Customize

New Press Releases: Scientology faces trouble world-wide

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Consensus, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Consensus Member

New Press Releases: Scientology faces trouble world-wide

I'm kicking off a number of new press releases. Let's have a deadline of Saturday, April 19th, 8pm eastern daylight time. That gives us about 24 hours for each of these. I'm hoping a number of Sunday papers are going to run small blurbs on the happenings of this week, and we'd like to get a few simple, concise, and clear sound-bites into them on behalf of Anonymous.

Press release number 3: the tide is turning against Scientology in Russia, Israel, and Europe.

Okay, this one need a lot of details filled in. Names, dates, locations... and the end should be a compiled list of news articles on each of these situations. Keep the press release tight, concise, and comprehensive. There's been a LOT of international news this past month, if it's all compiled in one place, they may run with it for an article.

And fix the last paragraph. We want a soundbite editors can quote that mentions us and our take on the situation.

Thanks for all your help!
  2. Anonymouse Member

Re: New Press Releases: Scientology faces trouble world-wide

"Anonymous, the loosely-affiliated group of internet users protesting Scientology, stands by its claim that this is just the beginning. Their hope is that people will become more aware of the cruel methods Scientology employs to recruit and silence critics, and the fact that they extort money and obedience from followers. Anonymous believes that in turn, more and more governmental agencies across the globe will act to topple the billion-dollar cult that abuses the honorable term 'religion.' "

Sorry I can't add more facts...but I don't know them yet, either.
  3. Consensus Member

I'm gunna start doing some fact digging. I was hoping someone more familiar with the situation (and with the relevent facts/links at hand) would be able to contribute.

But those unfamiliar with the fact can still work on the wording, with brackets to indicate where to drop in the facts and figures.

e: dumping relevent links here for now
    Unlicensed Scientology kindergartens operating in Tel Aviv - Israel News, Ynetnews
    Mister-Info.com - Authorities in Belgium raid Church of Scientology
    Authorities in Belgium raid Church of Scientology - Wikinews, the free news source
    GlossLip BREAKING: Daughter of Norwegian Parliament Took Life After Taking Scientology Personality Tests
    Interfax-Religion
  4. Re: New Press Releases: Scientology faces trouble world-wide

Just fleshing out a paragraph, here.

5. Consensus Member

6. Consensus Member

A brief paragraph about our protesters finding the dusseldorf org abandoned would fit in well with this article. Mostly, I want to highlight only government action against scientology around the world with solid sources, but we can slip in one little bit of anecdotal evidence of the church facing problems.
  7. darawk Member

I would remove or soften the "a known con" bit. Injecting so forceful a condemnation before the explanation has the potential to turn people off. I'd change it to something more like "a common, though somewhat disingenuous, Scientology practice".
  8. Kaminonymous Member

my attempt:

This "Stress Test" is actually a means of recruiting for Scientology. Passers-by, unaware of the true affiliation of those running the booth, are frequently given 200-question "Oxford Capacity Analysis" tests. These tests were written by Scientology, the only guaranteed result being that the taker has severe depression which only costly Scientology auditing can cure.

perhaps mine and darawk's could be meshed?
  9. Consensus Member

latest compilation
  10. darawk Member

I like it. Perhaps an analogy to 'shell games' on the street? Essentially this is the equivalent of such a shell game or proposition bet. Such an analogy encapsulates the concept nicely and with a negative slant, without being off-putting IMO.

EDIT: Also the word 'controversial' is a good adjective to throw in there. It gives that negative impression without loss of objectivity.
  11. Consensus Member

By all means take a crack at it ... but at this point I think it would be wise to quote the whole text to edit from, so that each post is a complete version of the press release (to be worked on by the next poster)
  12. CVAnonymous Member

This anon approves Consensus' PR, with only one change...request change to

But the most significant of all may be the situation in Norway, where citizens are reeling after revelations that a Member of Parliament's daughter committed suicide within hours of completing a Scientology 'stress test.'[5]
  13. Consensus Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 20 APRIL 2008
    RE: CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY
    To contact Anonymous or for additional information about the Church of Scientology and Anonymous’ global protests, visit Enturbulation.org Scientology Activism and Organization.

Hollywood, CA

The infamous celebrity religion Scientology is under fire around the world this week. In Belgium, federal agents have raided and closed the church because of accusations of deceitful recruitment methods[1]. The Russian government has raided and closed Narcanon, a Scientology group that claims to help people overcome chemical additions, for practicing medicine without a license[2]. In Israel, a number of kindergartens, operated by the Church of Scientology, have been shut down for being unlicensed[3]. During this month's world-wide protests to oppose Scientology, members of Anonymous, a loosely-affiliated group of internet users protesting Scientology, were pleased to discover that the Scientology Org in Düsseldorf, Germany had been completely abandoned.[4]

But the most significant of all may be the situation in Norway, where citizens are reeling after revelations that a Member of Parliament's daughter committed suicide within hours of completing a Scientology 'stress test.'[5]

The stress test, one means of recruiting used by the Church of Scientology, is a sales tool whereby unwary passersby are given a series of obtuse questions with an official-sounding title. The auditor running the stress test will interpret the answers to these questions, ensuring that the test indicates something 'terribly wrong', a tactic referred to in Scientology as "finding your ruin". Once they've pinned a pseudo-diagnosis of depression, anger issues, or poor time-management skills on you, they attempt to cajole you into purchasing Scientology books or courses. For those who join Scientology, this can add up to hundreds of thousands of US dollars, and/or years of barely-paid work in scientology services, such as stress test booths.

The suicide death of Kaja Bordevich Ballo - after recieving one of these high-pressure sales pitches - has put the Church of Scientology under a microscope in both her native country of Norway and in France, where she took her life. There is now a strong public backlash in both countries.

Anonymous states emphatically that "This is just the beginning." They state that "As people become more aware of the cruel methods Scientology employs to recruit and to silence critics, and as they become aware of the extortion of money and obedience from followers, more and more governmental agencies across the globe will act in opposition to the cult." Anonymous insists that they support the rights of individuals to believe and say what they like, and opposes legislation to outlaw belief systems - but they support government efforts to prevent criminal activity, regardless of who is doing it.

[1]http://www.mister-info.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=10452&format=html
    [2]http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=4579
    [3]http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3521983,00.html
    [4]http://forums.whyweprotest.net/76-europe/duesseldorf-germany-8601/
    [5]http://glosslip.com/2008/04/15/breaking-daughter-of-norwegian-parliment-took-life-after-taking-scientology-personality-tests/
  14. CVAnonymous Member

I am anonymous & I approve this message.^
    :headbang:
  15. Kaminonymous Member

i like where the paragraph has gone (its the only one that i'm having any ideas for), but i think that a few tweaks are still in order. mostly in the 'less than savvy' department. besides bringing captain jack to most people's minds, its also a bit insulting to anyone that's already been hooked with one of these tests. also, emphasizing cost of $cilon services. finally, converting a few commas into periods may enhance clarity.

The stress test, one means of recruiting used by the Church of Scientology, is a sales tool whereby unwary passersby are given a series of obtuse questions with an official-sounding title. The auditor running the stress test will interpret the answers to these questions in such a way that ensures he or she will find something to criticize, a tactic referred to IN Scientology as "finding your ruin". Once they've pinned a pseudo-diagnosis of depression, anger issues, or poor time-management skills on you, they attempt to cajole you to purchase Scientology books or courses. For those who join Scientology, this can add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars, (alter currency for non-US release) and/or years of barely-paid work in scientology services, such as stress test booths.

50% longer, 75% angrier.
  16. Anonymous J1b Member

Don't we need to change the date, too? Seeing as how it's the 20th now...

Edit: Or has this gone out already?
  17. Consensus Member

I made a few edits, incorporated a few of the most recent suggestions (see latest edits to my previous post), and sent it off. I know there's still things that could be improved upon, but time is of the essence.

This one is going out to our master-list, so no further action is necessary. If any of you have specific connections with high-level editors for major media, feel free to pass it along. But there's no need to spam this one.
  18. gregg Member

Ok, its on its way. After a lot of cleanup the list of contacts is 24972. Should take it about 19 hours to send.

Also since its officially the 21st now I edited it for the date.