Customize

New Press Releases: Jason Beghe/Youtube/Viacom

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Consensus, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Consensus Member

New Press Releases: Jason Beghe/Youtube/Viacom

I'm kicking off a number of new press releases. Let's have a deadline of Saturday, April 19th, 8pm eastern daylight time. That gives us about 24 hours for each of these. I'm hoping a number of Sunday papers are going to run small blurbs on the happenings of this week, and we'd like to get a few simple, concise, and clear sound-bites into them on behalf of Anonymous.

Press release number 2: Let's sum up for the press what's going on with Jason Beghe, Mark Bunker, Youtube, Google, Viacom and Stephen Colbert. Make it a story, give it some intrigue, and remember: a good end-game for this is to get Bunker and Beghe on Colbert Report! Colbert *loves* seeing his name in the papers, and a mention of him will very likely get a mention on his show.

Please cut it to shreds!
  2. Mousey Member

Re: New Press Releases: Jason Breghe/Youtube/Viacom

At the time of canceling it had over 500,000 views.
  3. downstat Member

not mysterious
  4. Re: New Press Releases: Jason Breghe/Youtube/Viacom

I think a safe number would be over 500,000, maybe you can push in to 600,000. 600,000 was the last figure I saw.

I agree that the suspension was not mysterious. A fix could perhaps be that his channel was suspended on the heels of several other known critics having their own channels inextricably suspended.
  5. Consensus Member

I'm not doing much with this press release myself because I'm still a bit confused, and feel that a good number of anons are far more familiar with the situation than me. But don't take my lack of activity here as reason to think this press release is abandoned!
  6. Re: New Press Releases: Jason Breghe/Youtube/Viacom

I haven't paid enough attention to this whole thing, but I hope this helps a little.
  7. darawk Member

8. Consensus Member

Bump! The other two are pretty much done, time to focus some attention on this one. All help is welcome.
  9. CVAnonymous Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 19 APRIL 2008
    RE: CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY
    To contact Anonymous or for additional information about the Church of Scientology and Anonymous’ global protests, visit Enturbulation.org Scientology Activism and Organization.

Silicon Valley, CA

There was great anticipation this week regarding the YouTube release of an interview with a former Scientologist. Actor Jason Beghe, who left Scientology late last year, was interviewed by Emmy award winning journalist Mark Bunker for his YouTube channel XenuTV1. A teaser released last week received much attention, coming in at over 500,000 viewings. Jason Beghe is best known for his many performances in such television shows as "Cane". "Everwood" and CSI. He has also appeared in the films "G. I. Jane", "Maid to Order" and others.

The release, however, did not materialize, and Bunker's YouTube channel was suspended. Among the first to find that the account had been suspended were Anonymous, the loosely-affiliated group of internet users protesting Scientology. They advised Mr. Bunker and took the step of contacting YouTube themselves. The staff of YouTub claim that the account was suspended for an alleged copyright violation levied by Viacom regarding a clip of Stephen Colbert on Mr. Bunker's earlier account.

This suspension came the day after another major critic of Scientology, Tory (Magoo) Christman had her account disabled with no explanation. Ms. Christman's account has since been restored, also without explanation. Many believe that her account was a victim of abuse of youtube's "flag" system and was restored upon review. Since the staff of YouTube will not tell Ms. Christman the reason for the suspension, this is mere speculation.

The removal of this account has not silenced Mr. Beghe or the other critics. The original teaser video is now being hosted on other YouTube accounts, with permission from Mr. Bunker.

Please note that the video contains some profanity.

Just one of the many new links: YouTube - Jason Beghe Interview - Another rehost
  10. Consensus Member

I like it, but I think we could use another hook:
    The viacom/youtube battle was big news a year ago. Can we make it look like Anonymous is an innocent casualty of the battle? And that Scientology is unfairly benefiting from it? I think this approach would increase the story's visibility.

e: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/14/business/14viacom.web.html?ref=technology may be useful, if this tactic is pursued.
  11. CVAnonymous Member

It may make it more visible, but I'm not really interested in putting out misleading information. Plus, I don't like the idea of protraying Anonymous as a casualty of ANY battle. Feel free to butcher what I've put up if you want to pursue that hook.
  12. Consensus Member

I'm inclined to trust your judgement. Was just an idea.
  13. CVAnonymous Member

Thx. Here's a question: If I want to embed the teaser vid in an i-report for CNN, does Bunker have a problem with that? I mean, he has some kind of deal with Fox, but I don't know the details. Does anyone know?

Never mind; I've seen that vid embedded all over the web, so it's a stupid question...

Will post to i-reports when enough of us feel it's ready. Hopefully when I get up in the morning.
  14. felinonymous Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 19 APRIL 2008
    To contact Anonymous or for additional information about the Church of Scientology and Anonymous’ global protests, visit Enturbulation.org Scientology Activism and Organization.

Silicon Valley, CA

There was great anticipation this week regarding the YouTube release of an interview with a former Scientologist. Actor Jason Beghe, who left Scientology late last year, was interviewed by Emmy award winning journalist Mark Bunker for his YouTube channel XenuTV1. A teaser released last week received much attention, coming in at over 500,000 viewings. Jason Beghe is best known for his many performances in such television shows as "Cane". "Everwood" and CSI. He has also appeared in the films "G. I. Jane", "Maid to Order" and others.

The release, however, did not materialize, and Bunker's YouTube channel was suspended. After much investigation, Anonymous, the loosely-affiliated group of internet users protesting Scientology, have discovered that the account was suspended for an alleged copyright violation levied by Viacom regarding a clip of Stephen Colbert on Mr. Bunker's earlier account. This came the day after another major critic of Scientology, Tory (Magoo) Christman had her account disabled with no explanation. Ms. Christman's account has since been restored, also without explanation. Many believe that her account was a victim of abuse of youtube's "flag" system and was restored upon review.

The removal of this account has not silenced Mr. Beghe or the other critics. The original teaser video is now being hosted on other YouTube accounts, with permission from Mr. Bunker.

Just one of the many new links: YouTube - Jason Beghe Interview - Another rehost

CV, Ya done good. The changes that I made to your text were minor and mostly caps errors. (YouTube instead of youtube) Frankly if this went out as-is it is fine in my opinion.
  15. Re: New Press Releases: Jason Breghe/Youtube/Viacom

IMHO the plug for Anon's hard work in the second paragraph is kinda unnecessary/overdoing it, would it sound better with something like "After being contacted and questioned about the situation, the staff of Youtube claimed that XYZ blah blah etc."?
  16. CVAnonymous Member

Felin, thanks for tempering my anger with youtube with common sense. I no longer capitalize youtube because they don't deserve any capitals. But for PR, etc., yeah...probably should. ;) Girlontheinternet, you're right. I took another look & tried to redo the paragraph so that it still mentions Anonymous, but doesn't sound so self-serving.

Also changed date to 21st because, well, it's the 21st here :D

Ok, I'ma gonna double-post now.
  17. CVAnonymous Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 21 APRIL 2008

Silicon Valley, CA

There was great anticipation this week regarding the YouTube release of an interview with a former Scientologist. Actor Jason Beghe, who left Scientology late last year, was interviewed by Emmy award winning journalist Mark Bunker for his YouTube channel XenuTV1. A teaser released last week received much attention, coming in at over 500,000 viewings. Jason Beghe is best known for his many performances in such television shows as "Cane". "Everwood" and "CSI". He has also appeared in the films "G. I. Jane", "Maid to Order" and others.

The release, however, did not materialize, and Bunker's YouTube channel was suspended. Among the first to find that the account had been suspended were Anonymous, the loosely-affiliated group of internet users protesting Scientology. They advised Mr. Bunker and took the step of contacting YouTube themselves. The staff of YouTub claim that the account was suspended for an alleged copyright violation levied by Viacom regarding a clip of Stephen Colbert on Mr. Bunker's earlier account.

This suspension came the day after another major critic of Scientology, Tory (Magoo) Christman had her account disabled with no explanation. Ms. Christman's account has since been restored, also without explanation. Many believe that her account was a victim of abuse of youtube's "flag" system and was restored upon review. Since the staff of YouTube will not tell Ms. Christman the reason for the suspension, this is mere speculation.

18. Anonymous J1b Member

First paragraph, second to last sentence should read, "Jason Beghe is best known for his many performances in such television shows as "Cane," "Everwood," and CSI" not "Jason Beghe is best known for his many performances in such television shows as "Cane". "Everwood" and CSI."
  19. CVAnonymous Member

thx for the catch
  20. monamia Member

Jason is the prime story, not YouTube, imo.