Customize

New Orleans, LA: APA 2010

Discussion in 'USA - East Coast' started by Bob Loblaw, May 24, 2009.

1. Bob Loblaw Member

New Orleans, LA: APA 2010

American Psychiatric Association conference: May 22-27, 2010

I think we can safely assume that CCHR will be present with their (t)rolling "Psychiatry: An Industry Of Death" exhibit. I think Scientology can safely assume that ANONYMOUS WILL BE THERE.

For those not in the know, West Coast Anons recently converged in San Francisco to counterprotest the CCHR (link). This was an experience none of us will forget!

Save your goldz for BamCon 2010: LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULEZ! :)

stuffs.jpg
  2. zebrafaced Member

Re: New Orleans, LA: APA 2010

I... may be able to make this next year.
  3. lokimotion Member

New Orleans! Depending on the work situation next year, I could make this. Oh boy, I can't wait.
  4. LRonAnon Member

FreakE has it handled, solo 3-day raid.
  5. Re: New Orleans, LA: APA 2010

I'll be there!
  6. the anti Member

if i can get a way there and what not, i wish to join
  7. Bob Loblaw Member

Oh hell yes! We'll certainly talk more about this as we get closer to the event...

In any event, since some folks need time to save money for this excellent little Anon-xpedition, this is your warning!!!

The West Coast Anon conflab at the 2009 APA convention was EPIC. Portland and Seattle Anons went regional -- it's time for us to go NATIONAL!
  8. juche Member

Am totally fucking going to be there. I'll also take this moment to RSVP for MuffinKat because I know she'll make it.
  9. FreakE420 Member

LOL I will if I have to,but it look's like I'm gonna have company.

WOO HOO!

Freake's girl will make cake!

HPIM6702.jpg

(She didn't make this one,I did. It sux I know,but it was delicious!)

Cant Wait!
  10. moarxenu Member

With a year of planning, pwnage will be totally epic.
  11. Lorelei Member

Excellent! Keep us posted. Also, consider contacting those Anons counter-protesting CCHR trolls at other APA / psychiatrist conventions for flyer / sign / etc. ideas that you can make specific to your area, and for tips on what seemed to work and not work best with the psychiatrists attending.
  12. psychoutcults Member

Are there any anons planning to be in N.O. for the 2010 meeting who would want to participate in a symposium to educate psychs? This would be at the actual meeting. I'm a psychiatrist trying to get a symposium together, and am just in exploratory stages now. I'll probably need one anon who is willing to do a 20-30 minute powerpoint presentation, then participate in a discussion at the end.
  13. moarxenu Member

Anons educxating psychs is epic Gogogogo!

I nominate FreakE to do the presentation with shoops.
  14. Anonymous Member

/r/ GB or WBM consider this if they want to
  15. Anonymous Member

The aspects of Scientology are you looking to cover ? are you looking for the "psychology" behind the cult mentality or their CCHR thing or the conditions that the average Scientologist deals with ?
  16. psychoutcults Member

The format would be about five 20-30 minute presentations, then discussion and audience questions for 30-40 minutes at the end. The whole thing would last three hours. The topics I'm thinking of are:

I. History of CoS
    II. What scilons believe
    III. Abuses within/by the church
    IV. Anonymous and YouTube
    V. What psychs can/should do

An anon's role could be as a discussant and/or presenting information about anonymous itself. I'm thinking that what would be most interesting would be an anthropological point of view looking at the cultures of CoS and Anonymous, as well as showing how the almost simultaneous emergence of Anonymous and You Tube became the first truly effective way to fight the CoS' fair game policy.

^ How's that for intellectual wording? (I'm so proud!) I think the presentation about anonymous could actually be the most interesting and fun part of the symposium. Caek, anyone?

WBM and the APA President, Dr. Stotland, have both indicated that they are willing to participate.
  17. Anonymous Member

Sounds great. Nao can we haz a webinar?
  18. psychoutcults Member

Mebbe. Nao can u elaborate a bit?
  19. Anonymous Member

Hmmm.

A webinar where Anons could watch said presentation at maybe a relatively reduced price or for free?

This would be preferable to having to pay for the entire conference.

The other option of course would be anon to film and post here. I'm sure someone will be there filming video ;)
  20. psychoutcults Member

That's a good question.

The conference itself costs hundreds of dollars, so only rich or crazy anons can attend the whole thing.

Almost all the presentations are recorded now. I don't know if there would be a problem with making our own simultaneous recording.

Dr. Stotland says that there will need to be extra security present. Limiting attendance to APA members might be necessary.

If it looks like this thing will really come together, I'll try to find out what options we have for disseminating the video.
  21. FreakE420 Member

j0411841-main_Full.jpg
  22. psychoutcults Member

FreakE420: Does this mean that you'll do it?
  23. mefree Member

TY
  24. psychoutcults Member

Spirit of Anonymous.

Damn! That's good. It should be the opening of the presentation regardless of which anon does it.
  25. mrfyde Member

I recommend,

(rips open envelope, removes card and reads it with surprise)

Pooks.

I has lived in the cult and reached high levels
    II Been giving us info that we use all the time
    III Is familiar with the non-tinfoil abuses of church
    IV Seems to understand very well what Anonymous is about
    V knows what has worked for her in her recovery
    and
    VI Is not afraid that anyone is going to put LSD in her toothpaste before the event. Maybe FreakE can help her w/ the power point part if she needs it. (I think he can get to NOLA for the event if you give him enough notice. :)

edit:
    VII if she does this maybe people will stop accusing her of being OSA.
  26. FreakE420 Member

I dont think so. I know nothing about power point presentations,I'm just and old stoner carpenter!

TY,feel free to use whenever for whatever.
  27. mefree Member

Maybe video would be better than ppt?
  28. Anonymous Member

Video is not interactive for people with questions. (It avoids propaganda)

the common format in this type of event is a live presentation.

The organizers have asked of pp.
  29. Anonymous Member

Why can't psychoutcults do the presentation?

No offense to Pooks or WBM, but it seems to me that someone with more than a working knowledge of psychiatry is the best person to be involved in a question-and-answer sesssion.
  30. FreakE420 Member

^^^^^^this
  31. mrfyde Member

I assume because POC has only been on wwp for about a week. And is looking to go beyond his/her knowledge of the cult. And there will be many phychs at the convention who have similar knowledge but need an outside viewpoint.

Not to invalidate your question.
  32. psychoutcults Member

I can do just about any of the presentations, but I'm a generation older than most Anons. I was hoping to have someone much cooler (and maybe skinnier) than I am do the Anon part to break up the monotony of the other presentations. The APA usually has several presenters at these symposia. I would be the coordinator and would cover the presentations no one else wanted to do. I'd like to have an Anon and a former scientologist (Pooks sounds perfect) as part of the overall group, along with WBM, Dr. Stotland, and me. I've asked another expert to be part of the group, but am still waiting on the reply.

I don't want any guests having to do more work than they would like, so I'm prepared to put just about everything together myself. Actually, I was hoping to get online feedback as I put the presentations together, probably on my blog.

The question and answer sessions are usually done with all the presenters up front, so the most appropriate presenter(s) can answer each question. Sometimes people will be introduced as discussants even when they haven't done a presentation, and that's what I'd like. Instead of having everyone in chairs behind a table, I wanted to set up the question and answer part with some chairs and couches in a stretched out U shape facing the audience.

PP can get pretty damn boring. I think several You Tube videos along with a few PP slides would be best. I like asking questions during a presentation and have the audience yell out answers and do other interactive things.

Edit: Well, maybe not yell things out, but raise hands, etc.
  33. Anonymous Member

LOL have you seen pooks and wbm? Don't worry about how chubby you are.

Pooks for the ex-sci, but please pick an Anon to speak as an Anon.
  34. psychoutcults Member

Ideally, I'd like someone who has been in Anonymous from very early on.

Now, how do I page Pooks?
  35. Anonymous Member

Who knows what anon is going to still be here in another 10 months. Many origional anons are gone. You want to ask Skeptic ?
  36. Anon1720 Member

This thread is making me happy in my pants. Moarxenu, any chance of your being able to do this??????
  37. psychoutcults Member

Paging Moarxenu. (If you do this, I'll even tell you my real name.)

Edit: YES!!! Moarxenu is going to be our token Anon. Caek for everyone!
  38. Anonymous Member

Isn't moarxenu in his 60's ?

I thought they wanted someone younger. I like the guy and everything.
  39. Anonymous Member

yay, moarxenu!!!
  40. psychoutcults Member

I guess we're going to be a bunch of geezers. I might need to borrow someone's kid to balance things out. (Don't worry. I'll bring my own.)

I'm still looking for a former scientologist to round out my group.

BTW: I have NEVER dreamed of doing anything like a symposium before. It's you damn activists. I'm catching the bug from you.