Customize

Need halp - Vid geeks, particularly iMovie users

Discussion in 'How To Instructions' started by the_cloak, Jan 31, 2009.

1. the_cloak Member

Need halp - Vid geeks, particularly iMovie users

Hey guys, I have an issue as well. I have a video that I've made using a series of vids + still images that are processed into a movie. I used iMovie for the job and whenever I upload it to Youtube, the stills flash by super fast but the video segments play just fine.

How can I make this work? What kind of settings should I use to jewtube quits fucking it up. Quicktime plays it just fine, it's just jewtube that seems to suffer epic failure during it's conversion process.
  2. JFawkeson Member

Re: Need halp - Vid geeks, particularly iMovie users

That's... incredibly odd. I'm really no help, because that's never happened to me, but WTF? If it plays fine in quicktime, idk. Hope someone can help.
  3. twelve Member

This.
  4. ScudMuffin Member

OK, check the vid in the preview for iMovie. default time for images is around 5 seconds so you may want to check and extend that a bit.

Stick a link to the vids and I'll have a look.
  5. the_cloak Member

Well actually the images have to time with the music, so I've altered their show time. I'm going to try a few more things, such as exporting the movies as full quality, then reimport as a single raw video and export that and see what happens.

It's like Apple's MP4 format has some timing queues for the images that says like "Show this image for 2.31 seconds" so that is only stores the single image and the time to display it instead of storing 15 or 30 of those images a second. While camcorder vid takes long to process out (up to 20 minutes), this one dumps to disk as a 30 MB file at HD quality in just 2 minutes. So I think Apple is using space saving techniques in there that Youtube cannot understand. I uploaded to Vimeo and they had the same problem. So I think this is some trick Apple is doing inside that those two cannot currently translate when they convert it to .flv format.

Soooo, i'll try forcing it to write out in a format that hopefully doesn't do that space saving trick. Means a bigger file, but at least it should work in Youtube.
  6. the_cloak Member

The technique I tried above worked. Means a lower quality vid but it did finally play. Vimeo is having issues so it hasn't showed up there yet, but it did upload.

Thanks for all the help guys! The video is getting pretty good reviews now too.
  7. anon.il Member

Which format did you use? I've been facing the exact same issues and I have to say, its maddening.

Making it worse is the fact that nearly every other format I try to use to export from iMovie tends to looks like shit.
  8. the_cloak Member

What I did was to export to .dv, best possible quality and then used quicktime alone to crunch it down to a .mp4. That did the trick.

One thing I've found is to try playing it in VLC (google it if you don't have it). If it fucks up in VLC, Youtube and Vimeo will choke on it. If it plays fine in VLC, then it should work.
  9. Re: Need halp - Vid geeks, particularly iMovie users

You said your target is jewtube. Does quality really matter that much?
  10. anon.il Member

YouTube has High Quality and, more recently, High-Def playback support - so yea, quality does matter now days. :)