Customize

Narconon Riverbend in Louisana (New Life Retreat)

Discussion in 'Narconon' started by Anonymous, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Anonymous Member

Narconon Riverbend in Louisana (New Life Retreat)

Narconon Louisiana aka Narconon Louisiana New Life Retreat aka Narconon Riverbend

NARCONON LOUISIANA will shock you when you read the Form 990s and millions of dollars involved. Especially how much is being paid back to the cult.

Narconon Louisiana New Life Retreat

NCCS Organization Profile - Narconon Louisiana New Life Retreat Narconon Louisiana

In early 2006, Narconon paid $750,000 for 12-acre site in Denham Springs. according to Livingston Parish Clerk of Court records. [1]

Grand Opening Event on November 11, 2006
    - one house for the men & one house for the women
    - another building contains a lounging area, huge kitchen, and dining
    - swimming pool outside with the sauna next to it
    - upgraded capacity in 2007 to 40 total clients (in patient & out patient)
    - averages three to six months (originally was six to twelve weeks)

Form 990 from 2006 (newly opened)
    $601,000 in revenue and 23 'students'

Form 990 from 2007
    $2.045M in revenue (99.7% from patients)

Recent Press Release
    150 total graduates in the three years with "76% success rate for permanent sobriety"

(approx students --- total guesswork)
    end of 2006 -> 23 patients
    all of 2007 (at least 50)
    all of 2008 (assume 50)
    mid of 2009 (about 30?)

$26k for two or three months... ($400 PER DAY?!)

I'm convinced none of their numbers make sense and how the hell all the text books and course materials are non-profit... Twelve fucking acres for what??!

PEOPLE
    Jeff Lukas, Executive Director [from latest PR]
    Rohit Adi (aka Rondi T. Adi), Director (Medical Director) ('06 was Secretary)
    Kelley Keeney, Director (Medical Director) ('06 was V.P.)
    Cathy Steiner, Director ('06 was President)
    Thomas Steiner, "former director"

HISTORY (from Louisiana Secretary of State)
    NARCONON LOUISIANA
    Registration Date: 1/27/1975 Revoked 5/15/1998

NARCONON OF BATON ROUGE, INC.
    File Date: 8/25/1988 Revoked 11/17/1997

NARCONON LOUISIANA-NEW LIFE RETREAT
    File Date: 1/18/2006 Last Report Filed: 1/8/2009

http://www narconon-news.org/usa/louisiana-drug-rehab.htm

Narconon Louisiana Celebrates National Recovery Month

990 filing added: Narconon Louisiana New Life Retreat 2006; Social Betterment Properties International 2003, 2004 - alt.religion.scientology | Google Groups

Narconon Louisiana New Life Retreat, 990 filing of 2007 - alt.religion.scientology | Google Groups
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Narconon Riverbend in Louisana (New Life Retreat)

Also maybe someone can dig up better research, but I found this.
    I would like some numbers for typical permanent sobriety rates, but I wonder how many patients are scilon addicts.

This might be very useful Louisiana's N-SSATS 2007 (survey through March 2007)
    http://wwwdasis.samhsa.gov/webt/state_data/LA07.pdf
  3. Anonymous Member

Quote: "more than 30 days produces a higher recovery rate."

Of what - the client's money?
  4. Anonymous Member

The fact that they don't disclose more precisely their achievements (like the number of 'students' is ground to file a complain to the IRS. A number of other Narconon centers have had nonsensical figures. There is an easy-to-fill east-to-send form to fill for such suspicious entities. If more people file with good arguments these complaint forms, that might cause the IRS to act.

Narconon is a big cash milk for Scientology and particular Scientologists (ex. for-profit Addiction Help Services, probably in part recipient of those "commissions".) Often digging a bit more it is found that there are undisclosed transactions by the directors, etc.

The license fees are expenses expressly identified as going up the Scientology pyramid, but there are other expenses we can strongly suspect of also going up: training costs, books/materials, etc. In other words, lots of fresh, non-scilons funds ending up in Scientology coffers.
  5. lothar Member

Anyone who doesn't realize how much Narconon is really a LRH cult.

6. Optimisticate Member

7. Re: Narconon Riverbend in Louisana (New Life Retreat)

This is just down the road from where I live........... I smell opportunity :D
  8. xenubarb Member

...and it thmells liek...
  9. Anonymous Member

Need people to google up some consumer complaints, LA BBB, or medical licensing stuff like was done for NarcNON GA. Have they been inspected, inpatient beds, which drugs are the licensed to dispense, etc.
  10. Anonymous Member

Narconon Drug Rehab Georgia Educates Kids, Parents at County Fair : Thu, 24 Sep 2009 : eNewsChannels

Narconon Drug Rehab Georgia Educates Kids, Parents at County Fair
    Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:51:34 -0700 PDT

"...We personally talked to so many people during the week of the fair we literally couldn’t keep count. People kept asking for materials. We gave so many out that we ran low and had to quickly order more from the printer. Everyone wanted information about drugs,” one volunteer stated. “Narconon really is spreading the word about addiction and recovery through its many educational programs. It was great to see our graduates out in the public eye and not ashamed to say ‘Hey! I am a Narconon graduate, let me help you!’”
  11. RightOn Member

So it looks like Scientology is concentrating on spreading Narconon moar since they have the "get off drugs" hook to advertise.

I have been hearing more and more about Narconon lately.
    COS can't get recruits through their doors or get people on their stress test tables.... they are turning to the front groups to drum in the money. Which is as expected.
    We should be keeping an eye on Criminon too, as this is a front group that can hide even more in state's jail systems.
  12. amaX Member

So, this facillity opened in Jan. of 2006 and in an article dated Aug. 27, 2009 they say they've had "more than 150 graduates from their residential drug treatment facility"?

Only 150 graduates over a three and half year period?
  13. Anonymous Member

They probably had many people who escaped or were rescued out of Narconon during that period.
  14. Anonymous Member

That is in-patient AND out-patient. But when you are getting $20,000 or $40,000 per person, it doesn't take that many per year.

They are listed in 2007 as having room for 40 patient capacity (in & outpatient). So it makes me think they can fit about 10 men & 10 women full time residents. Maybe more. Hard to tell from the Bing maps Bird's Eye view of the complex.

Anyways, it's amazing how much money they make from just having what, two medical staff and a handful of culties and a pile of LRH crap.
  15. Anonymous Member

16. Anonymous Member

17. Anonymous Member

Does this mean they are a Medicaid provider?
  18. Anonymous Member

Hmm.. The occupancy expenses in 2007 were $258,356. This is surprising, given that reportedly they own the property. Occupancy expenses are, as per IRS:

Thus, when you own the property, occupancy expenses amount to heat, light, power (and property taxes I suppose.) $258,356 represents $21,530 per month. I can't make sense of this. Consider Narconon of Georgia, Inc., where occupancy expenses amounted to $88,422 in 2007, while reportedly 149 people enrolled in the program.

So right there, this seems a good argument for file a complaint to the IRS.
  19. Anonymous Member

Patience, grasshopper.
  20. ethercat Member

FYI, Narconon of Georgia rents their property, and an ugly little property it is, too.
  21. Anonymous Member

this is relevant to my interests
  22. Anonymous Member

Therefore this reinforce that Narconon Louisiana's occupancy expenses are very suspicious -- they own the property, thus no rental payment, thus their occupancy expenses should be lower. (Interest paid on mortgage go to line 41, and real estate improvements if any go on the balance sheet, not as an expense.)
  23. Anonymous Member

Here is a form, pre-filled and ready to be sent:

Complaint:

Signed "Anonymous" (you can fill in your name in there if you wish.)
  24. Anonymous Member

Just so you know this might be fail. They probably took out a mortgage. In which case they can amortize capital in that way. Does their form 990 show they alreay paid $750,000??
  25. Memphis Member

First post, and im glad i found this site

$35,000 and 7 months of my life later, i am out of narconon riverbend.

Let me start by saying that the place has NO WHERE NEAR a 85% or 76% success rate. Only a handful of people of the probably 50ish I have seen graduate I have heard are "doing okay". In fact I've talked to 2 people this week who are going back (1 to re do the program because he relapsed. 1 because everyone around him is getting fucked up and he cant handle it and has been smokin weed). 3 staff members left for using while I was there. Probably close to 10 other staff members left while I was there for various reasons.

Anyone wanna know anything bout these fuckers? Let me know, ill be checkin back
    • Like Like x 1
  26. _You_ Member

Welcome memphis! can u tell us if the people we had noted at the start of this thread are still in these positions?
    does the grounds/property look like a dump? any blatant code violations or such?

also - sue the bastards to get your money back. its all the rage these days.
  27. Memphis Member

i had to come back and post this, what really pisses me the fuck off is the way they handle everyone on black pr. and i understand where tehy are coming from, over the 7 months i was there i saw probably 20 people come in and then leave after a couple weeks once xenu reared his ugly head (i wonder who told them?)

i wonder, if narconon has no connection to scientology, why does the owners own 2 churches? why when i moved the owners out of one of the houses (for my ethics cycle, 1 month of manual labor for relapsing) did i spot 2 e meters in the closet. why in the case supervisors office was there a book case full of "what is scientology" and "dianetics auditing" and big ass leather bound scientology books everywherel. WHY ON THE FUCKING TRANSPORT CAR WAS THERE A S with 2 TRIANGLES?! Why were all the staff members that were there for any amount of time scientologists? why was any mention of the "S word that shall not be spoken" an immediate KR and handled by staff.

on halloween we stole the framed picture of LRH on the boat in the hallway in the lodge and reframed it with a huge penis. they freaked. almost kicked me out (they later did)

whats so FUCKED UP is that some of the staff there are actually GOOD PEOPLE (note these are people who have been scientologists less than a couple years). But imagine you could a buncha ex drug addicts now new scientologists with a group of ot 8 motherfuckers pullin their strings. they told me the narconon exposed website was funded by eli lilly, the maker of oxycontin (eli lilly dont even make ocs i dont think, its purdue i believe).

i had never even thought twice about scientology when i went to narconon in march. it is now my goal to expose these motherfuckers.

anyone want the ethics officers email?
  28. Memphis Member

jeff lukas is still the exec directors
    cathy and tom steiner still owners
    rohit is an exec but he is the narconon doctor and is always on site to write scripts, draw blood, check people out
    kelly is still there in her position
    cathy allessandria (spell?) is the head case supervisor, an ot 8
  29. Memphis Member

i can sue to get my money back?

and the grounds/property? shit. kinda. when i first got there they had 3 guys to do "estates". 2 were gone when i got back the 2nd time. the 3rd guy who managed it got fired for drinking a couple of months ago. who does the estates now? RE TREADS (ie. people who have done the program and relapsed). when you come back like i did, my twin did, SEVERAL of my buddies did, you do a 30 day ethics cycle. you start off working 4 course periods a day for about 2 weeks. then you move to 3 periods a day for a week and then 2, and then you start your program. you have 1 guy currently who is technically a student (hes a scn that did phone somewhere and they sent him to narconon for free and he is working for them for free)

health violations? they actually keep a pretty tight watch. the only problem i could see would be the kitchen. the cook never wheres gloves, we have watched her numerous times go to the bathroom and not come back and wash her hands and then touch dinner.
  30. _You_ Member

Did you notice any building code violations or fire hazards?
  31. AnonLover Member

you can try, niacin & purif shit is not healthy plus false advertising - you bought cult indoctrination, not rehab.

Paging AnonyMary to the white phone... she tracks narconon complaints, and has many of 'em logged on her scribd account here:

AnonyMary's Documents | Scribd
  32. Memphis Member

building code and fire? no. they had the fire marshal come pretty regularly. they actually had a painted path in the hanger painted while i was there and there were signs everywhere.

in our room we covered the exit sign with a hoodie and left it there because it lit up the room at night.

they were pretty tight about these things.
  33. Memphis Member

i have hate in my heart for these motherfuckers
  34. Optimisticate Member

Ripoffreport.com has several narconon complaints. It's another way to get your story out there to the general public. If you dig around here you'll find some info on lawsuits and refunds.

Understand that if you accept anything back from them as far as a refund, you'll most likely be signing a gag order and asked to rescind any negative statements you may have made.

I wish you luck, I'm glad you're out and I hope you apply this fight toward your fight to stay sober. It's not an easy road, and many more have taken that same road than you think.
  35. AnonyMary Member

Thanks for your PM, AnonLover.

Hi Memphis, welcome and thanks for speaking up!!

Depending up on how you were recruited for the program and such, there are other avenues to go to get the cult to pay, butyou really don't have recourse to get a refund based upon this statement of yours:

I hope you are staying clean. There are a variety of 12 Step programs which are really the best bet for recovery maintenance. Consider them if you have'nt.

The connection to Scientology is really important, as well as how you can to arrive at Narconon and how the money was gotten to pay for it. Narconon has a history of deceptive trade practices and making fraudulent claims. If you want, read over some of the documents on Narconons Nevada and Southern Califonia and see if you would be interested in reading and filling out the questionaire here:
    Formerly Fooled and Finally Free From The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology: Victims Of Scientology: Complaints & Concerns About Narconon

Whatever you decide to so, I wish you the best in your continued recovery.

Mary McConnell
  36. MarlieK Member

Let's see. Parts to sue about:
    * Unpaid labor.
    * False claims of 70-90% success rate (if you relapse)
    * Any kind of abuse while there.
  37. TomVorm Member

The name Trahant (Jeanne) appeared in the lawsuit filed by Mark Chimblo against Narconon of Southern California (when it was in Los Angeles in 1996). Chimblo described being physically attacked (while Jeanne Trahant looked on) after threatening to report what he saw at Narconon (including a minor being injected
    with heroin before having sex with an adult male Narconon counselor).

Chimblo vs Narconon Los Angeles CA Complaint Employee Lawsuit 1996-06-26

Larry Trahant worked with Narconon after it moved, to its later (and notorious) Newport Beach location.
    You can read all about what happened there.

Stop Narconon Newport Beach
  38. TomVorm Member

Civil cases against Narconon of Denham Springs, Louisiana, would appear to be within the Denham Springs municipal jurisdiction of the "Livingston Parish" within that state.

The phone number of the court clerk is 225-686-2216. Fax is 225.686.1867.
    Their address is 133 Aspen Square, Suite C, Denham Springs, LA 70726
    Livingston Parish Clerk of Court

That would be a good starting point, to learn if other civil complaints have already been filed against Narconon Riverbend of Louisiana. The "public records" section of the courts' website seems to ask registration for a search, but possibly an email asking for a limited search of the records (for a defendant which has a single name and has only operated since 2006) might get results. Their email is at questions@livclerk.org

A local who opposed permit applications for Narconon in March 2006 was Ronnie Mazie.
    Notes from a parish meeting where he presented critical materials about Narconon
    (and suggested the council google "Narconon Cult") appear at
    www.livingstonparishcouncil.com/minutes/03-09-06.pdf

For reference, Narconon's listed address is at 35059 Bend Road Denham Springs LA 70706
  39. Memphis Member

Thanks guys for all of your replies?

Definately lied about their success rate. told me it was somewhere in the 70-80 percentile. How can it be in the 70-80 percentile when myself, several staff members, and a GREAT MAJORITY of the people i did the program with my first go around were back/are getting fucked up now.

Its connection to Scientology? The owners are scientologists as well as EVERY STAFF MEMBER THERE. Whats fucked up is all of the trouble that I got into while I was there for "spreading black PR". I did several "ethics cycles" for black PR and was "handled" several times over for talking about xenu. Shit, when I helped the owners move out of their house they had 2 fucking e meters set up in a table in the closet....but there is no connection to scientology. Whenever I would get called into tom and cathy and kellys office there were bookcases with every LRH scientology book in there...but there was no connection to scientology. I almost got kicked out when I went on a rant about spaceships and "the money hungry religion" when I was "in session" on objective 6...they threatened to dismiss me for what I said in front of other students.
    I can honestly say it was never OPENLY forced. I had a staff member buddy of mine who graduated while I was there and stayed and worked who told me they were trying to get him to go to the "mission" and pay 3000 dollars to get audited. He drank and got dismissed.

...I'll start thinking about any other forms of abuse.

...Manual labor for punishment over talking about scientology would not be considered abuse would it?
  40. TomVorm Member

There have been numerous, successful claims filed against Narconon.

Cases have alleged verbal abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, misleading advertising, and other actions.

You should identify cases with descriptions most similar to your own, and then contact a personal-injury attorney licensed to practice in the State of Louisiana. Negotiate any retainer fees, and provide copies of relevant documents to that person or firm. Sometimes, just a letter and a filing from an attorney, is enough
    to get over $20,000 back (according to former Narconon clients). You will be asked to sign a contract,
    saying you won't criticize them in public again, before they cut you a check. (Don't bother asking their staff
    for your money, as ex-clients say all that did was waste time with their lies).

A good resource to start your research is at
    Stop-Narconon.org: Protecting the Vulnerable from Narconon/Scientology

There is an article there, about how to get your money back from Narconon
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/narconon-refund.html

Was MacKenzie Phillips there, when you were at Narconon?