Customize

Narconon of Georgia and allegations of insurance fraud

Discussion in 'Narconon' started by failboat, Jan 29, 2013.

1. failboat Member

Narconon of Georgia and allegations of insurance fraud

Posted: 4:30 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 31, 2013

By Pete Combs
    Already facing a wrongful death and civil conspiracy lawsuit in the 2008 overdose of a patient and battling revocation of its license by state regulators, Narconon of Georgia is now being investigated because of allegations of insurance fraud.
    In a joint investigative enterprise with Channel 2 Action news and the AJC, News-Talk WSB has uncovered allegations that the Scientology-based drug and alcohol rehab program headquartered in Norcross is accused of trying to bill United Health Care $166,000 for treating 19-year old Emily Morton of Rome, Ga.
    Emily’s mother, Mary, wrote a $15,000 check – payment up front and in full – to enroll her daughter in the Narconon program in March, 2012. Her family also signed an agreement with Narconon that stated the complete cost of treatment was $15,000 .

Shortly after Emily began treatment at Narconon, Mary said she had an encounter with Executive Director Mary Reiser.

“She confronted me and said, ‘Your insurance hasn’t reimbursed anything for Emily’s stay,” Morton said. “I told her, if they reimbursed at all, they would reimburse us (the family) because we paid in full. And she said she wasn’t aware of what our contract was.”

Her curiosity piqued, Morton began checking her insurance records. She was astounded at what she found. Narconon had billed her insurance company, United Health Care, more than $166,000.00 for Emily’s treatment, in spite of the signed documents that said Mary had paid the bill in full.
    “They were billing for doctor visits – one amount was for $58,000.00. And she never even saw the doctor,” Morton said.

The doctor visits were billed under two names: Dr. Casey Locarnini at the Dunwoody Urgent Care Clinic and Dr. Lisa Robbins at the Robbins Health Care Alliance in Stone Mountain.

When asked about billings for treatment of Emily Morton, Dawn Warner, an employee of Robbins Health Care Alliance, emailed the following statement:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have NEVER authorized Narcanon or anyone associated with Narcanon to bill ANY insurance under Dr. Robbins. We have NOT seen any of Narcanon's students in several years. Since this does not effect the privacy of our patients, I can tell you we never seen a patient named Emily Morton. If they indeed did bill under Dr. Robbins this is insurance fraud. I would like to find out how many times they have done this sort of thing. I simply can not believe that Narcanon would have the gaul to try something like this again. Thank you for your assistance.

Similarly, News-Talk WSB received a statement from Douglas Chalmers, Jr., an attorney who represents Dr. Locarnini:

"A number of weeks ago, Dr. Locarnini provided notice that he was terminating his contract with Narconon. This past week, he retained our law firm to fully investigate the billing issues that have been brought to his attention…. For a variety of reasons, including protecting the privacy and confidentiality of his patients, he is not able to comment further at this time."

THE STATE INSURANCE COMMISSIONER INVESTIGATES
    “Sounds like a problem to me,” said Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens when he learned of Emily Morton’s story. Hudgens said he has opened an investigation into Narconon of Georgia so that “we can determine whether or not insurance fraud has taken place.”

Hudgens said he has assigned a team of investigators under the supervision of Fraud Division Chief Drew Lane to look into allegations of wrongdoing on the part of Narconon of Georgia.

More at link: http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/special-reports/narconon-georgia-and-allegations-insurance-fraud/nT9nT/
    • Winner Winner x 20
    • Like Like x 1
  2. White Tara Global Moderator

Oh how I love this!
    • Agree Agree x 8
  3. jensting Member

More like opportunity. For doing their job. And this is the organisation doing the fraud, not the individuals, surely? Also, can raiding the office of narCONon International and ABLE to find out where the orders came from really be avoided, now?

Oh and this: (from the referenced article)
    Wow. Just wow! And Mary Reiser was doing such a good job!

Good job that David "he is NOT insane!" Miscavige has never personally taken an interest in narCONon or appeared in photos with narCONon International staff and stuff...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. YouSeeNothing Member

Oooh! They goin' down for this one. This should be investigated from the top down.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. BigBeard Member

Since NN GA falls under the thumb of NN Int (In fact from the IRS's perspective NN GA is a DBA of NN Int), which I believe makes it an inter-state operation, maybe the Feds will finally get involved. They don't like insurance fraud, which wouldn't involve the "religion" angle at all, across state lines much either.

I'm not a lawyer, so any legal minds that want to comment on the though jump right in.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 2
  6. YouSeeNothing Member

BB, any way to use this new info to cross-reference against their returns? I.E., amount of insurance reimbursements against "student" admission fees?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BigBeard Member

^^^ I don't think insurance payments are broken out seperately, they're just lumped in with 'payments for service'. But let me take a look and see if someone forgot and listed it seperately.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 4
  8. amaX Member

Yeah. Narconon Eastern Division of the US is in Clearwater. There are some pix floating around here somewhere. I'll try to find them.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. YouSeeNothing Member

Might also be interesting to see what the average payment was per student--including the lump-sum insurance reimbursements. ;)

EDIT: One would think the average should be the same across the board for all facilities based on current rates. If the going average is $30k/per and you find, with the insurance, they are averaging $100k/per, then something's fishy.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wolfbane Member

I detect a large amount of potential harpooning ITT.

Teeth!! Chomp chomp! Delicious angle is delicious.

Since Narconon International is in the mix, can we perhaps carry this lovely concept of being investigated for allegations of insurance fraud to other states where Narconon has a facility?

Yo State Insurance Commissioner... LOOK what they are doing in Georgia. Plox to be checking if they do it your state too. kthxbai.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. Anonymous Member

God I love how this year is starting out.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BigBeard Member

Insurance payments aren't broken out on the IRS Form 990's, they're just listed as part of the "Program Service Revenue" for the year. So, without actually getting a look at NN GA's books, there's no way to tell what part is in the form of direct payment from the "student" or family, and what came from insurance payments.

Hopefully the State and/or Feds will be able to lay hands on the books, if the real ones haven't been shredded yet, to find out for sure.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

This is so very, very beautiful!

I'd just like to take a moment to salute the bravery and the persistence of the Desmond family making all this possible!
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  14. anon walker Moderator

California has an Insurance Fraud office. I sent them this:

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. anon walker Moderator

They can do this in any state. I wonder what they'd find, yes I do....
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. BigBeard Member

I'm really, really hoping the Feds realize there's no "religious" angle to this at all, and jump all over this insurance fraud business along with the Insurance Commissioners in every state where narCONon operates.

BigBeard
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

This cult is absolute, pure evil.

This has been mentioned here before, but for any who missed it, here's an article that provides some perspective on Hubbard's background:

The Satanic Elements of Scientology

www.factnet.org/satanic-elements-scientology
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. RightOn Member

well I hope when they do look they share that info with all other states and the states say GTFO
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks go the Morton family who are brave enough to bring this to the forefront, it may take these allegations to finally bring the closure of NN of GA. Kudos to this Mom
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. RightOn Member

yes I concure. That is one brave Mom and she deserves to be commended.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  21. RolandRB Member

And I thought that nothing further damaging could happen to the cult before the end of January.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. BigBeard Member

Posted this over on RFTTP, but thought I'd drop it here too for any legal types to comment on the possibilities:

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 3
  23. BigBeard Member

And the month's not over yet! :D

BigBeard
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Sad..sad story here, more than you all may even realize for this family.
  25. Chipshotz Member

This is just so good I'm tingling.
  26. failboat Member

If you're interested in doing like anon walker has done, then here's a directory of state insurance fraud bureaus. (Call and ask for an email address if you'd rather email them; most of the contacts are phone numbers and addresses). I've already accounted for my state.

Doitfaggot.jpg

http://www.insurancefraud.org/fraud-bureaus-directory.htm#.UQoIBGf4L_c
    • Winner Winner x 4
  27. RolandRB Member

The books of Narconon will have to be looked into followed by the books of Narconon International and then the whole cult springs apart. We have the Luis Garcia thing for fraud and now Narconon healthcare insurance fraud - a pincer movement against the cult. This will destroy it and leave not much left. This will all happen in 2013. My days are done fighting the cult this year 2013 - I will wait to see what happens. Nothing anybody can do can trump these two things unless it is another spectacular case of fraud.

For those of you who have been fighting the cult for years and in return gaining nothing but increasing frustration - then you can now take a long break during 2013 and just check on the news from time to time.

I am sick at the moment but when I am feeling better I am going to have some sort of celebratory vacation and have a good time taking photos, drinking beer and not thinking about the cult at all.
    • Like Like x 4
  28. RolandRB Member

It is very important that this gets done. It is time to make the kill.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  29. Anonymous Member

With Scientology, it is a mistake to count your chickens. They have an army of lawyers and PIs at their disposal who have in the past successfully scuttled many an investigation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. RolandRB Member

I'll sit back and watch them try.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  31. muldrake Member

The good thing about this is these insurance companies operate across all 50 states. They don't like getting ripped off. Unlike a federal investigation, where the feds have a financial incentive not to investigate or prosecute, the insurance companies have a financial incentive to get back their money or, at the very least, never pay out any more money to this scam operation again.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  32. RightOn Member

this sounds so promising.
    COS has messed with the wrong people
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  33. wolfbane Member

Do we have a wiki/thread list somewheres of all the active Narconon facilities in the US?
  34. failboat Member

Here's a list of Narconon centers:

https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/summary-list-of-all-57-narconon-centers-worldwide.104387/

Here's a form letter that should be equally good for either an insurance fraud investigator, or an insurance company.

"To whom it may concern:

Recently, it was reported by a local Georgia media outlet that a drug rehab in that state, Narconon, is under investigation by state authorities for insurance fraud. Anyone professionally concerned about insurance fraud should carefully consider the following article that outlines the allegations:

http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/special-reports/narconon-georgia-and-allegations-insurance-fraud/nT9nT/

Narconon is a front group for Scientology, and has facilities worldwide. Scientology and its appendages typically operate under strict doctrine, monitoring, and quota pressures that often require system-wide compliance. Narconon of Georgia has already been sanctioned for hiding and destroying vital evidence. If insurance fraud is being perpetrated by a Narconon in Georgia, then there is a decent chance that the Narconon(s) in (my city/state) is/are committing insurance fraud.

I hope that you'll take the proper steps to investigate claims paid to Narconon, and to protect consumers in (my city/state) from this Scientology front group."

Directory of state insurance fraud bureaus:
    http://www.insurancefraud.org/fraud-bureaus-directory.htm#.UQoIBGf4L_c

EDIT: United Health Care is the company that was bilked by Narconon of Georgia. They claim to cover 70 million Americans. Here's their contact page:
    http://www.uhc.com/contact_us.htm
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  35. BigBeard Member

This is what spews out of the IRS Exempt Organization database when searched for narCONon:

EIN NAME ADDRESS
    952769582 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL 4652 HOLLYWD BLVD LOS ANGELES CA 90027-5408 2595 03 6
    042606410 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL % C/O MICHELE SAVELO 76 WINN ST STE 2C WOBURN MA 01801-2868 2595 03 9 NARCONON BOSTON
    731690918 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL % YVONNE M RODGERS 611 S FT HARISN AVE CLEARWATER FL 33756-5301 2595 03 9 NARCONON EASTERN UNITED STATES
    593035096 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL % CHERYL ALDERMAN 22073 US HIGHWAY 19 N CLEARWATER FL 33765-2364 2595 03 9 NARCONON FLORIDA
    421534941 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL 5688 PEACHTREE PKWY NORCROSS GA 30092-2848 2595 03 9 NARCONON OF GEORGIA
    731589280 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL 69 ARROWHEAD LOOP CANADIAN OK 74425-5012 2595 03 9 NARCONON OF OKLAHOMA
    651238009 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL % KATHY DION 225 W BROADWAY STE 420 GLENDALE CA 91204-1331 2595 03 9 NARCONON WESTERN UNITED STATES
    330911677 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL % LAWRENCE W TRAHANT 225 W BROADWAY STE 420 GLENDALE CA 91204-1331 2595 03 9 NARCONON FRESH START
    954853440 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL 13850 GRABER AVE SYLMAR CA 91342-2622 2595 03 9 NARCONON DRUG PREVENTION & EDUCATI
    550828683 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL % CLAUDIA ARCABASCIO 4652 HOLLYWOOD BLVD LOS ANGELES CA 90027-5408 2595 03 9 NARCONON OF WEST HOLLYWOOD
    954536141 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL % ROBERT HERNANDEZ PRESIDENT 622 E VILLA ST PASADENA CA 91101-1120 2595 03 9 FRIENDS OF NARCONON
    770275827 NARCONON INTERNATIONAL % CHUCK KOCH 262 GAFFEY RD WATSONVILLE CA 95076-9731 2595 03 9 NARCONON OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
    743193939 NARCONON JOSHUA HILLS % TIFFANY PHARMER PO BOX 13075 PALM DESERT CA 92255-3075 0000 03 3
    237339602 NARCONON NEW YORK INC % NARCONON US 519 S WESTMORELAND AVE LOS ANGELES CA 90020-1533 0000 03 3
    364480811 NARCONON GREAT LAKES ILLINOIS NFP % RYAN EDWARDS 728 W JACKSTON BLVD CHICAGO IL 60661-5490 0000 03 3
    431978329 NARCONON RACINE % KANDY HELSON 1621 VILLA ST RACINE WI 53403-2727 0000 03 3
    432031325 NARCONON GULF COAST INC % RANDY ROSS 3391 SCENIC HWY 98 DESTIN FL 32541-4748 0000 03 3
    204122923 NARCONON LOUISIANA NEW LIFE RETREAT % THOMAS A STEINER 35059 BEND RD DENHAM SPGS LA 70706-0655 0000 03 3 NARCONON LOUISIANA
    753152868 NARCONON SOUTH TEXAS INC % JUAN D VILLARREAL PO BOX 530597 HARLINGEN TX 78553-0597 0000 03 3

Probably not a complete list since NN started playing the 'New Name of the Week' game when people started figuring out NN was bad news. The ones with '2595' after the ZIP+4 are covered by the NN Int Group Exemption Letter.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 2
  36. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Co$ will probably blame Mary Reiser as a rogue operator, who somehow has mysteriously disappeared.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  37. Anonymous Member

When it comes to the individual's relationship to scientology, I have always envisioned scientology as a huge grizzly bear, leaning over a small animal trapped in a cage - said bear having all the support of the US government standing behind him.
    When it comes to the insurance company's relationship to scientology, I now see the insurance companies as the bear and the trapped tiny animal as scientology. I also believe insurance companies have more sway and backing with the government. (How many lobbyists does scientology have? How many lobbyists does the insurance industry have?)
    I think if insurance companies want to go after scientology, scientology loses, hands down.
    Most people pay house/content insurance, car insurance, life insurance, health insurance... so, insurance companies dwarf scientology in power and size. And not to forget, insurance companies have their own investigative departments so scientology's fair gaming tactics may easily be exposed, if employed.
    Just hoping the insurance companies get might pissed at scientology and decide to go after them.
    • Like Like x 2
  38. patriot75 Member

• Like Like x 3
  39. RightOn Member

when you type in "narconon insurance" in a search it shows Narconon websites and advertising that they take insurance
  40. Anonymous Member

clam link http://www.narconon.org/about-narconon/support.html