Customize

MSNBC: Harry Reid slams Sharron Angle on Scientology in prisons

Discussion in 'Sharron Angle' started by SanDiegoAnonymous, Jun 12, 2010.

1. eddieVroom Member

Re: MSNBC: Harry Reid slams Sharron Angle on Scientology in prisons

WRONGO!

I traded several emails with Narcotics Anonymous World Services several years ago, and this is their Official Position:

Narcotics Anonymous shall only be called Narcotics Anonymous or N.A.

"NarcAnon" has never been a registered trademark of N.A., and they periodically make announcements at their meetings telling people to NOT utter the word "NarcAnon". Adding to the confusion: N.A. has a sister program called NarAnon, which is analogous to A.A.'s sister program AlAnon.

N.A. will not, as a matter of formally adopted principle, comment on any other program, NarCONon included.

edit: At this point in time, I do believe that if N.A. tried to trademark "NarcAnon", NarCONon would actually sue THEM for infringement.
  2. Triumph Member

Battle Born Politics
    A Conservative's perspective of politics and life in Nevada!
    Where There Is Smoke, There Is Massages

first comment:
    moveonreid is doing a pro Scientology cut and paste job on every blog critical of Sharron Angle they can find..
  3. DeathHamster Member

When you've got a big war-chest against a cash-poor opponent, you throw all the muck you've got and see what sticks.
  4. Anonymous Member

Harry is grasping at anything he can grab onto because he is sweating any race against any challenger. He's running against someone that is extreme and only hopes to he can hold on to his position. I was actually happy to see Sharon Angle win the primary because I figure the Criminon angle would at least get some national media play.

If the other side can get Angle to reverse position in this race, bonus, if not it keeps getting national attention, extra bonus.
  5. Goosh Goosh Member

right out of the LRH playbook

1. claiming an attack on criminon is an attack on scientology
    2. claiming the aforementioned attack is religious bigotry
    3. playing the 'freedom of religion card'
    4. "I'M NOT A SCIENTOLOGIST BUT..."
    5. straw man argument; harry reid attacked a policy that would use taxpayers' dollars to pay for criminals to receive spa treatments in prison, and she twisted that into attacking a religion (a term i use loosely)

is she taking pointers from tommy davis? all that's left is to ask harry reid what his crimes are

ladies and gentlemen, sharron angle is the new jeff stone
  6. Re: MSNBC: Harry Reid slams Sharron Angle on Scientology in prisons

You think stretching the truth and trying to make your opponent look bad is foreign to politics?

This is a senate race. I don't know how much traction she's going to find with the religious persecution card. It could be a lot if the celebrities come out in her favor.
  7. OTBT Member

FactCheck Mailbag, Week of June 8-June 14 | Extreme Conservatives

8. DeathHamster Member

9. JohnnyRUClear Member

Crusty web page is crusty, but seems to indicate why Mr. Elrod is so supportive of Scientology's front group. Looks like he's been a Scilon for years.

David Elrod's Home Page

His name also occurs on this page, for no apparent reason.

Also:

And why do they have to do that? Might it be because it's easy and natural to abbreviate "Narcotics Anonymous" to "NarcAnon"? Yes, I rather suspect so. Hence, lots of people do it. Hence, NA has to issue those advisories, trying to stop everyone from doing that.

Kind of silly, IMO. They should have just run with "NarcAnon" as an official abbreviation from the start instead of fighting against human nature. That's beside the point here; I was just trying to be sure people ITT knew the distinction between NarCONon and NarcAnon -- even though, as you so enthusiastically point out, it's "WRONGO" to use that abbreviation. It's even more "WRONGO" to get Narcotics Anonymous confused with NarCONon.

So let me issue a revised comment:

NarCONon = Scientology front group

NarcAnon = common abbreviation for "Narcotics Anonymous", though NA does not use or endorse that nickname.

All good now?
  10. tikk Member

(Latter quote from NRO)

Pointing out that Sharron Angle is a hypocrite is probably a bit too easy, but these two quotes are helpful. On one hand she suggests that questioning the efficacy of a religious program seeking government funding is a slippery slope that potentially infringes the first amendment rights of, well, I'm not sure she'd even be able to tell you whose first amendment rights are implicated in that scenario--is a religious program which seeks government funding immune to inquiry by virtue of the fact that questions as to its efficacy necessarily delve into the program's religiosity? Why should a religious program expect to receive government funding at all?

Angle shows how little thought she's given the above questions by the second quote, in which she views her primary victory as providential, or an act of God; and further, sees her victory as an historical marker along a longer timeline in which God has intervened in the past to save mankind (or perhaps micromanage out of boredom). If you're a Christian, Angle is implicitly telling you that she's been chosen by same God you worship each Sunday--what more could you possibly need to know about her qualifications for office?

To summarize, it's perfectly okay--it may even be your religious duty--to consider religion as a qualification for office when same reflects well on Sharron Angle. It is not okay to consider religion as a qualification for office when same reflects poorly on Sharron Angle, and such criticism may even infringe on the First Amendment.
  11. JohnnyRUClear Member

Nicely sussed, good sir/madam.
  12. Anonymous Member

Because only terrorists question anything remotely religious or American, and Scientology is both.
  13. moarxenu Member

The Churchillian has a great post. He appears to be a libertarian conservative.

The Churchillian: Sharron Angle Helps Legitimize Scientology

14. Goosh Goosh Member

15. Triumph Member

Harry Reid will quickly move on to other topics;outside of the Scientology issue..
    and Sharron Angle will give him plenty of ammunition

Nev. Senate hopeful Sharron Angle talks of armed revolt
    Nev. Senate hopeful Sharron Angle talks of armed revolt | ScrippsNews

The Churchillian
    Sharron Angle's Paranoia Problem

The Churchillian: Sharron Angle's Paranoia Problem
  16. Goosh Goosh Member

fucking nutjob
  17. eddieVroom Member

Yep. The "message" for the Twelve-Steppers here, I do believe, is that NarCONon aced you out of a proper alternative trademark that rolls naturally off the tongue, and is effectively using your good name for evil.

And World Services won't fight it.
  18. Triumph Member

YGLESIAS

Angle: It’s Not Scientology, It’s “Natural Homeopathic Medicine” Developed By L Ron Hubbard
    http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/2010/06/angle-its-not-scientology-its-natural-homeopathic-medicine-developed-by-l-ron-hubbard/
  19. Anonymous Member

The Fundies teach only two things effectively: How to stop thinking and how to be very, very superstitious.
  20. Anonymous Member

"Seeking to “clear the record,” Angle told us “I am not even sure that the Church of Scientology fits into it at all. You have to make some quantum leaps here.”

Good luck with that line of reasoning. The ties between Scientology, failure, fraud, abuse and the Narconon/Criminon/Second Chance program are very well documented and available to the Reid campaign who can now use another of her statements in the campaign to re-elect Reid. No quantum leaps are needed, just a quick visit to Google.
    I'm sure that she would love to "clear the record" of all the dumb things she's said but it just isn't going to happen. There is far too much.
  21. Anonymous Member

not unlike some other religions we know of.
  22. Triumph Member

Alexandria crossroads of civilization
    Angling For Scientology
    Angling For Scientology

I prefer a third possibility "nuts/stupid and bamboozled"
  23. Zak McKracken Member

Scientology is both terrorist and anything.
  24. Anonymous Member

Reno Gazette Journal: To prove ads wrong, Angle must offer a plan | rgj.com | The Reno Gazette-Journal
  25. Anonymous Member

Reno Gazette Journal: To prove ads wrong, Angle must offer a plan | rgj.com | The Reno Gazette-Journal
  26. Goosh Goosh Member

i think reid is going about this the wrong way. joe public still thinks of scientology as "oh, that crazy tom cruise cult?" instead of "oh, that dangerous, money-grubbing cult?" what he SHOULD be doing is emphasize the fact that sharron angle suggested we give rapists, murderers, child molesters, and drug dealers massages and foot-rubs in prison on the taxpayers' dime. sure, mention that it was started by scientology, but focusing on that is counter-productive.
  27. One0fMany Member

^^^ This.

Before I stumbled (somewhat blindly) into this message board and learned for myself, I had no fucking clue what narconon was, or that it had even existed...let alone that it was associated with Co$. But having been closely associated with a cult before (not $cientology), all I knew was that the Co$ members gave me the same creepy vibe.

And if everyone already knows what we know, why do we still hand out fliers at protests?

My point is that to ass/u/me that any connection with $cientology is automatically "political poison" is a recipe for epic fail.

Who here actually believes that our work is done?
  28. Smurf Member

I hope Nevada anons and their friends are contacting Harry Reid and sharing this information with him and why it would be disastrous for the notorious hag to win a Senate seat there.

I've sent an email to him.

E-mail Senator Reid
  29. Anonymous Member

i just poon'd, so should you
  30. theLastAnon Member

Didn't see this posted yet; wonder if we should rename this the Sharron Angle Mega thread...

Anyway:
    U.S. SENATE RACE: Reid machine dwarfs Angle - News - ReviewJournal.com

Which gives us this little nugget:

The Reid machine is unavoidable on the World Wide Web. A constant stream of Twitter and Facebook criticism of Angle floods the Web along with YouTube videos and audio clips highlighting her most extreme-sounding statements. The Reid campaign has devoted a website to Angle — Sharron Angle's Underground Bunker — which eviscerates her views and mocks her for avoiding most mainstream media and going on conservative radio and TV talk shows for cozy chats instead.

Sharron Angle's Underground Bunker

Front page:
    wwwsharronsundergroundb.jpg

Note the Scientology link lower left and whose picture is framed and hanging on the wall up there?

Clicking on the Scientology link gives you this:
    99710293.jpg
  31. Goosh Goosh Member

holy shit

i would seriously lol if harry reid gets an RFW page dedicated to him for this
  32. Anonymous Member

oh shit Harry Reid reached into his underpants and found a pair of testicles.
  33. Anonymous Member

That could only be good news for our side.

If RFW becomes involved in this dramatic senate race, Scientology would be put more into the public consciousness as an organization that is not only crazy in it's own right but also associated with insane teabaggers.
  34. Anonymous Member

If "new age music" and "scented candles" is the worst Reid can do?

The program simply DOESN'T WORK and is entirely based on pseudoscience and L. Ron Hubbard's guesswork -- an unindicted co-conspirator in the largest ever infiltration of the US government, btw. Do we have any studies on the Second Chance program that we can forward to Reid's campaign?
  35. Anonymous Member

Isn't it illegal in the US for tax-exempt religions to interfere with the political process?

If so, here's hoping RFW makes a page on Harry Reid.
  36. Re: MSNBC: Harry Reid slams Sharron Angle on Scientology in prisons

again, remember Reid is fighting Angle, not Scientology.

Thought that isn't to say you shouldn't be sending info to the Reid campaign.
  37. Anonymous Member

lmfao @ this (emphasis mine):

The amount of horseshit in this sentence is amazing. A big political smearing conspiracy didn't make Sharron Angle into a nutcase -- Sharron Angle made Sharron Angle into a nutcase.

Baca asked her on camera, repeatedly, to clarify her insurrectionist statements. She ignored him, but not after accused him of repeating Harry Reid's words (never mind Baca was quoting Angle's words).

This clearly unbalanced individual is dangerous to a healthy democracy and the rule of law, and not because of her cult connections.
  38. Re: MSNBC: Harry Reid slams Sharron Angle on Scientology in prisons

That actually sounds pretty much accurate. I don't understand your outrage here.
  39. Anonymous Member

The article is saying Harry Reid is responsible for everyone thinking Sharron Angle is nuts. Sharron Angle is responsible for that by her own words and actions.
  40. Re: MSNBC: Harry Reid slams Sharron Angle on Scientology in prisons

Look at this thread. Harry Reid is trying to make sure everyone knows that Sharron Angle is nuts. This article doesn't read to me as saying that she isn't nuts or that Harry Reid is wrong in any way.

It actually looks pretty objective.

"creating a narrative" about your opponent is a very important political tool. Just saying that Reid is creating a narrative is not saying that the narrative is wrong.