Customize

"Misleading Advertisement" and the Stress Test

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by RolandRB, Jun 7, 2011.

1. RolandRB Member

It goes like this - ordinary Joe Public who sits down for the stress test and get duped are not going to report it. Anons who want to report it are not stupid enough to sit down for a stress test. The false advertising for real cases needs to be reported so that it gets stopped. I would say that there is a valid middle ground such that this can be achieved. But be genuine and sincere when making your complaint because that is important. If you can fake that, you've got it made!
  2. Kanonimus Member

Thanks for the clarification.
  3. RolandRB Member

4. RolandRB Member

Dear Sir,

I read the article on this page with interest:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/consumer-enforcement/consumer-enforcement-completed/bait-advertising/

If "bait advertising" is illegal then I would like to bring to your attention the common practice of the Church of Scientology in the UK performing "Free Stress Test"s in many locations and on a frequent basis. People are lured in by their offer of a "free stress test" but the intention of the Church is to sell Scientology books or services which are nothing to do with the relief of stress. If this activity is illegal, as the above page seems to imply, then I ask that the OFT puts an end to this illegal activity in the UK.

Yours faithfully,
    Roland Rashleigh-Berry
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Anonymous Member

Go Roland! xxx
  6. xenubarb Member

The stupid thing about this argument is, the clams put those tables out. All are welcome, including the unstressed, destressed, and stressless. So it's fucking stupid to blat on about sitting down at a table in a public place in a fraudulent manner. Idiotic.

The cult, otoh, is SELLING something based on a fraudulent diagnosis performed by themselves to convince you you need this book. THAT is fraud!
    Your shit is just feclid assholery that doesn't deserve attention.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Interrobanger Member

I had thought my point was made and this was over. I argue LYING TO A REGULATORY BODY IS FRAUD - not sitting down. It doesn't matter what dastardly deeds were or were not committed previously by Scientologists; a critic lying would be fraud.

So you say yet you keep returning to it like a wino to Mad Dog 20/20.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RolandRB Member

I will grant forgiveness to anybody who commits such a fraud.

And for those who do it then think of it as making a proxy genuine complaint.

P.S. Make it as "genuine" as possible.
  9. wolfyrik Member

No i'm sorry but interro is right, this is just bollocks. The cult's tactics are at fault and break the law. THAT IS ENOUGH. A person does not have to be deceived in order to make a complaint. As Interro said, if you actually pretend to have been duped, which as previously stated is entirely unnecessary, you harm the case.

Pointing out the cult's tactics, preferably with evidence is enough. You do NOT have to have been deceived for it to be a crime. All that is necessary is that the potential for duping is there. Deliberate or not, though of course deliberate duping is far worse.

Sorry Interro, I totally misread the situation.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wolfyrik Member

Roland, please don't tell people to lie. It hurts the cause and empowers the cult.

The truth and reality of the situation are more than enough to act on in this scenario and should be the only factors in ANY scenario. Evidence and truth are our best advantage over the cult. Please don't ruin that.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

Yes... Anonymous NEVER lies... It never makes crap up, or pokes fun at anything... or sends black faxes... or anything shady...
  12. RolandRB Member

FW: Bait advertising by the Church of Scientology‏

Date: 27 June 2011
    Email: enquiries@oft.gsi.gov.uk

Dear Roland Rashleigh-Berry

Thank you for your email of 13 June 2011 to Mr XXXXXXXXX concerning advertising by the Church of Scientology.

I understand from your email you feel the Church of Scientology is engaging in alleged bait advertising and would like the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to stop this activity.

You may be interested to know the OFT has recently conducted a study into the advertising of prices. The study looked at various practices that are used in the advertising of practices, including 'baiting sales'.

Based on the findings of the study, we are asking traders to review their advertising and promotions. We plan to take targeted national enforcement action, alongside our enforcement partners, against firms suspected of most seriously breaching the law. As and when our enforcement cases become public, we will publish information on our website at the following address:
    www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/consumer-enforcement/;jsessionid=654256062C14737CA717772485D1CEA0

In deciding which issues to tackle, consideration will be given to the OFT's published prioritisation principles. The OFT has a wide range of responsibilities and finite resources and we must concentrate on those areas where we judge that our intervention can do the most good. The decision on whether to act will generally be dependent upon whether the issue raised falls within our administrative priorities in accordance with our prioritisation principles. For that reason, not every complaint we consider will lead to action even though the issue is one on which we may have the power to act.

A copy of the OFT’s prioritisation principles can be downloaded from the OFT website at: www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/about_oft/oft953.pdf

We hope that this information proves to be useful to you and would like to thank you once again for writing to us and bringing this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

having read your prioritisation guidelines then this looks to be a high priority case according the principle A1. People who take part in these "stress tests" are vulnerable people (they are suffering from stress) and their weakness will be exploited such that they are pressured to hand over their money for ever increasingly costly Scientology courses such that they could suffer financial hardship. When a member they could even suffer physical harm if they are placed on the "Rehabilitation Project Force" plus emotional distress as involvement with this group often causes break-ups of families. So in following your principles then I hope you will give this matter the very high priority that seems to be warranted.

Many thanks for you help in this matter.

Roland Rashleigh-Berry
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Herro Member

Enjoy your form letters.
  14. Anonymous Member

Certainly far less shady and fraudulent than the cult.

We run this.
  15. Anonymous Member

16. tamsonsbairn Member

Yeah, the church is legal, ethical, non-fraudulent. Don't make me laugh, Christ I almost pissed myself there.
  17. Anonymous Member

pay a poor "stressed" homeless individual $20 to go and take the stress test

the individual benefits and can buy something to eat

and the church reaction would be the obvious one
  18. LocalSP Member

Herro likes this.
    Sure he does, he wrote it.
  19. Robocat Member

Roland, here are your dox:

newpersondrill1.jpg

newpersondrill2.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Herro Member

Flunk.
  21. LocalSP Member

Seriously dude, that's the best you could come up with? Sad when the near greats never live up to their potential.
  22. Loki's spawn Member

Sad when you have to try and convince people that the only people that agree with Herro must be Herro.
  23. LocalSP Member

Oh I don't thinks it takes much convincing.
  24. Loki's spawn Member

Because they're already half-moonbat?
  25. LocalSP Member

not really, it's more like...mmm...intelligent.
  26. Herro Member

Uh ok. The post that you thought was made by me was not made by me. Better?
  27. Anonymous Member

Sure thing Pierre.
  28. The Heretic Member

Not everybody who agrees with Herro is Herro. And from my point of view, his criticism regarding Roland's approach to this is more than valid.

You're just mad because you don't like people interrupting you while you bathe in your own zealotry.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. wolfyrik Member

Hilarious, my alert said that Herro had replied to this thread, there was no one else mentioned. Sorry Heretic, even the server thinks you're Herro.....

Not saying I do, it's just funny. I wonder if Interrobanger got my apology? I agree re: RB's approach to this. It's wrong and not even necessary. UK law fully allows for complaint without being personally duped.
  30. RolandRB Member

Telephone

08457 22 44 99

Our ref

EPIC/ENQ/E/106954

Fax

(020) 7211 8877

Date

6 July 2011

Email

enquiries@oft.gsi.gov.uk

Dear Roland Rashleigh-Berry

Thank you for your email of 27 June 2011, further to your earlier email regarding your complaint about The Church of Scientology.

The further details of your complaint have been logged and added to our records. The information you have provided will add to our intelligence about the Church of Scientology.

Thank you once again for bringing this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely,
  31. RolandRB Member

^^^
    My impression is that the more people who write in then the more important it will become as a matter to address.
  32. Herro Member

Lol automated responses.
  33. RolandRB Member

Do we have any cases of ill or disabled people getting sucked into the cult through their "Free Stress Test" and losing all their money?

We now have OSA confirmation that this is a touchy subject.
  34. Anonymous Member

IMO

e-meter and counselling is the CoS product and is what is being advertised

something like a spray of perfume, but the whole bottle is the advertisers objective

(maybe a sign posted with a price - stress relief $400,000)
  35. RolandRB Member

Stress
    Relief
    $60,000
    to be
    "Clear"

It would make me laugh to see photos of those picket signs at their booths.
  36. Interrobanger Member

Yes. No apology was necessary. Thank you for taking the time to consider my argument on it's merits, or lack thereof.
  37. Anonymous Member

that would be honest advertising!