Customize

MEPO: Interpol telegrams about Scientology (various dates)

Discussion in 'UK National Archives' started by Horseradish, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Horseradish Member

I'm going to post here a bunch of Interpol telegrams from the UK Met Police files. These ones are from 1969-1974. There will I imagine be loads more in the other files I haven't looked at yet.
    (Document source: MEPO 10283/1, UK National Archives).

This one from 1969 shows that the mail was always bad, and/or the police were always disorganised.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Horseradish Member

In this one from 1970, Paris enquires about peeps attending scientology courses in UK and Denmark, and the peeps running the organisation, with a view to pursuing "offences of procuring"...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Horseradish Member

London responds to Paris...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Horseradish Member

Later (1972) there's an enquiry from Las Vegas police...

Mention of both Scientology and Narconon.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Horseradish Member

The Met responds by promising to send the government inquiry report later...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Horseradish Member

Later (1975) the Swiss wade in, asking their European colleagues about the cult...
    Note the final paragraph is redacted.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Horseradish Member

In 1974, the French are still interested in further info from London and Copenhagen, especially about Ron and the cult's "capital, assets and property", as they are pursuing charges of fraud...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Horseradish Member

The Met respond to Paris, pointing out that a report has already been provided, and also highlighting the naughty-step behaviour of the Germans, who failed to secure the report sent to them, leading to proceedings for defamation by the cult against the then Met Police commissioner (Sir Robert Mark?)...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

Some of these Interpol communiques connect with some of the ravings of LRH about Interpol from the Apollo sailings.

From the attachment above, I'd like to read the referenced "report" that the Germans mismanaged:

[IMG]
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Horseradish Member

There are some reports in the files. I just need to wade through it all, as each file is just a bundle of detached pieces of paper...
  11. Horseradish Member

Here's Paris again. This time regarding Hubbard, Apollo and a firm called OTC. (There's more about OTC later.)

There are two redacted names. They suggest one "may be identical with" the other. Someone going under an assumed identity? Apparently there's more info in Interpol blue notice 500/59-A/3674.

2013-01-15 21.12.26.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Horseradish Member

Info sent to the Met by the US police about peeps of various nationalities "believed to be in England illegally".
    In these cases [lists of names] the names are always redacted.

2013-01-15 21.11.53.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Horseradish Member

The Spanish were also involved, but an enquiry of theirs came at an unfortunate moment: Sir Robert Marks was embroiled in the cult defamation suit, and the Met's lawyers seem to have advised that documents could not be released owing to the case being sub judice...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Horseradish Member

And the reply...

Attached Files:

15. Horseradish Member

Some info from Copenhagen sent to London and Paris.
    Page 1...

Attached Files:

16. Horseradish Member

and page 2...

Attached Files:

17. fishypants Moderator

Interesting background material. Keep it coming!

Do we have the report that the police commissioner was sued by Scientology over?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Horseradish Member

The 'report' apparently repeats a statement from the FBI than Ron had a criminal record.
    The report went through different versions, some of which are referred to by document number in some legal correspondence.
    As of yesterday, I have another 500+ documents to go through, to check if the report is there and which version.

Edit: hmm, I shall have to go through all docs that look like 'a report' (quite a few) to find the relevant one, if it's there.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Incredulicide Member

Who'd have thought Interpol was so interested in confectionery?
    peeps.jpg
    • Funny Funny x 2