Customize

Mental Illness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PSKL, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

So here is my question - what can an e-meter possibly tell about a person who either takes psychiatric medications [which hinders his reactions] or a person who was taken off his psychiatric medication and that way whatever thought he is asked about he will probably confuse the e-meter.
    Just from personal experience, and I've taken medication myself on and off - when I hit a bad patch, you can ask what I'd like to have for breakfast, and my pulse would be going through the roof.
  2. n3uromanc3r Member

If something somewhat grounded in science--like the polygraph--can be manipulated by the person taking the test, I'm guessing the e-meter can be as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

Good Advice.
    This guy was already informed of the vast sources of information out there from people who have already gone thru their program, and to use their RESEARCH.
    RESEARCH.
    RESEARCH.
  4. Anonymous Member

Assuming the e-meter has a clock, like the one shown below, (thanks to the San Francisco Skeptics Group) and assuming the clock is set properly, all "...an e-meter can possibly tell...." us about is the correct time.

RaptureandScilons2011_61.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Anonymous Member

Indeed; I was informed of the vast sources of information out there, and am currently in the process of doing research, research, research.

I think I'd go to Narconon New England, which is in Woburn, MA. It's close to Boston, and close *enough* to my family. I've looked at Narconon's websites and have gathered about as much information from them as I can short of calling up and asking questions. Now, on to secondary sources.
  6. Anonymous Member

That's what I thought. If I'll take a valium, good luck eliciting any nervous reaction out of me, hehe.
    I hope that the guy who intends on joining the Narconon gets an e-meter on e-bay and checks out how it works. Even the proper lie detector can be manipulated, I bet the e-meter is really not that hard to lie to.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Anonymous Member

That e-meter looks like it was taken from the fifties. Oh wait, it was.
  8. n3uromanc3r Member

Beam me up, Scotty!

Oh wait, that's the 60s.
  9. n3uromanc3r Member

^^^This is a good idea.
  10. Anonymous Member

I can't seem to find an e-meter for under $200. This is perplexing, given what I think I know about supply and demand.
  11. DeathHamster Member

Did someone get a look at that "Do you have special powers?" card?

Yah baby, my Special Power is that I can stop all OT powers from working for miles around. Just by existing!
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Anonymous Member

Ask on ESMB. Maybe one of them still has his/hers. I remember like a month ago somebody was trying to sell him and was asking how to do it. People told him that on E-bay one can be found for around 50 dollars.
    There are also independent auditors out there. I am still fairly curious to visit one and see how auditing work, especially given the fact that I've been to a real psychiatrist.
  13. Anonymous Member

Ditch the head, Boris. We've all done it, it doesn't really hurt for very long.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

15. Anonymous Member

With a LCD??? Late 70s-80s
  16. Isn't that one made by Fisher Price? Or is it a K-tel version?
  17. Anonymous Member

I've talked to David Love, who suggested the great idea of trying to get a job with Narconon and going about the expose project in that manner. Something to think about. I've contacted them via email and am now waiting for a response. More later.
  18. Anonymous Member

Welcome back Anonymous, we haven't see you for a while, hehe.
  19. Anonymous Member

Thanks :) I figured I'd stop on by with an update. I'd been lurking, but it had been a while since I'd posted.
  20. Anonymous Member

I already started worrying that you went deep underground and were spending your time taking niacin and sweating your ass off in a sauna.
  21. PSKL Member

Uh-oh. That dick-for-nose, space-docking PSKL asshole is back after a hiatus. AND bumping a long-dead thread. I apologize, but not emphatically. It is unfortunate that I seem to only think of posting here when I am or recently have been slightly manic. Don't take that as an insult.

At one point, two or three of you may remember, I proposed the idea of "infiltrating" Narconon. The goal of this was to write an expose about the organization's Scilonical ties. Some thought that such an effort would be redundant, give the David Love situation. I wasn't convinced, figuring that even if Canada passed legislation concerning Narconon, it would affect awareness in the US, but not necessarily legislation.

This is from an email I had with a Division I anon:

I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do, but I'll recap the conversation I had and then do a little brainstorming later on in this email. Bear with me.
    I'd emailed Narconon about potential job opportunities about two months ago, when I was still feeling manic and borderline invincible (whatever that means). I didn't hear back from them and, after a while, figured I wouldn't hear back from them at all. Then, out of the blue, while I was playing video games yesterday, I got a call from an unrecognized number. I picked it up, and it was Mike from Narconon. He mentioned my query about job opportunities (specifically in Boston) and seemed quite interested in having me join their team. He asked me what made me interested in Narconon, and I said (and I'm paraphrasing here): "I've known a lot of people who have been addicted to drugs and I'm really interested in the idea of getting people off of the drugs they're addicted to without substituting new drugs for the old." He loved my answer, and then asked me what I knew about the program. I said I'd been to the websites, but I didn't let on that I knew that they were associated with the Scilons. Then he asked me what I knew about Scientology, and I pretended to know very little. He asked me about my religious beliefs (and, specifically, whether I was tolerant of religious ideologies--which I am when they're not better classified as cults). I gave him the answers he liked. Then, he told me a little about Scientology's background (and mentioned that, while "secular," there was indeed a strong connection between Scientology and Narconon, and that Narconon used what he called some of the "tech" associated with LRH [he said they didn't use the e-meter, but that they did prescribe to the basic philosophical ideas of LRH and Scientology]). He said that they were anti-psychiatry, and that people trained in the medical fields have incentives to prescribe drugs for "every little problem" a person might have. I pretended to agree whole-heartedly, bringing up that psychiatry and medication is a multi-billion dollar industry. He loved the hell out of that response, of course.
    He suggested that I read up on the basic texts of Scientology. He said that some people are scared away by the "religious" aspects of the program and that once I read the texts, assuming I was still interested, we'd continue with the process of setting me up with a part-time job in Boston.
    It seemed pretty obvious that, while it wasn't a prerequisite that I be a Scilon, it would be better (he even talked about having me visit the Church in Boston and get to know the people there), and that at the very least, for me to take the job, I should be comfortable being a proponent of the philosophical/scientific aspects of the program. I refrained from asking whether the patients would be as aware as the staff members are that the program is pushing Scientology on its clients because I thought it might make him a little suspicious.
    As the conversation went on, he became increasingly excited about the prospect of having me working for Narconon (which is hilarious, since I'm actually prescribed three different medications--of course, I didn't mention that).
    Now, there's a bit of a dilemma, and here's why: he let on to me that the Boston office (which is just an administrative office, more or less--not an actual rehab center) is currently unstaffed because people left and haven't yet been replaced. Also, the job would entail sending out grant requests (which are, by and large, renewal proposals for grants they already have). Thus, if I were to infiltrate Narconon, I wouldn't be directly exposed to the ways in which the program pushes Scientology while simultaneously re-opening the Boston branch of the organization.
    With all that in mind, here are a few questions I/we have to consider:
    Without direct observation of the practices of the rehab centers, will I be able to unearth enough of the connection between Narconon and Scientology to make a winning case for the government to cut funding to the program?
    If the case is strong enough, then will my infiltration of/writing about and exposing the program for what it is compensate for the fact that I'd be breathing a little life into a program that has pretty much died in Boston?
    Will my writing, if it's good, find a way to be published and circulated to an audience with the mindset and ability to influence policy with respect to Narconon/Scientology?
    Finally, since they're so closely related, will Narconon implement the fair game policy against me? How might that affect my family?
    Sorry for the long email--just mulling over the facts. I'd like to hear what you think about these issues, if you don't mind.
    This project never came to fruition, in part because I couldn't find a second job in Boston (the Narconon position would've only been 10 hr/week at $10/hr), in part because many told me that this was a terrible plan and those who didn't weren't willing to explicitly vouch for the idea, and in part because I simply lost interest. But, as I mention in the excerpt above, the Narconon rep. (I have his email address, in case anyone is interested) divulged a lot about the "unspoken" ties between the two organizations. In case anyone is interested in contacting Mike from Narconon, his email address is:

Mod Edit: taking the liberty of breaking this link - production at narcononeastus dot org
    Word,

PSKL the Impaler
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Anonymous Member

Hey, welcome back. We missed you. Hope you're doing well. Glad you didn't go through with the plan. You don't need those wackoes in your life.
  23. PSKL Member

Thanks, Bozuri. It's been awhile--good to be back.

Moar--I'm probably going to be moving back to your neck of the woods within the next month or so. Unfortunately, it will be much more difficult to meet up at that cafe this time around, since I'll be just over 30 miles to the SE.
  24. PSKL Member

Quick question for the mods--and please don't interpret this as insubordination:

There must be some purpose in breaking the link, since it impedes the copypasta. I figure it must at least make it harder for members of certain cults/psychiatric abstinence groups to find the forum/thread. Is there more to it than that?

I ask on account of a dearth of technological prowess and know-how.

Word,

PSKL the Impaler
  25. telomere Member

link breaking keeps people who read WWP from accidentally clicking on the link and ending up at a Scientology website.
    (Doing this would allow CoS to harvest their IP address, and conceivably track and monitor them. It's a fairly-low grade security risk, but it COULD help Scientology identify people on WWP, and for some of us that could be bad)

On the other hand, breaking an email address link really won't do much.
    Someone who accidentally clicks on an email link is probably not going to accidentally email Scientology anyway.
  26. Anonymous Member

I get angry at people doing trivial things and then have long and elaborate fantasies involving their torture. I'm fine, right?
  27. While breaking an e-mail link may seem trivial to some, it is amazing what can happen to and with n00bs on WWP.

On WWP, breaking all links to scilon stuff on the Internet, goes down the same street as child-proofing a kitchen. It seems like a waste of time, until you have children.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. telomere Member

Yep.
    with a WWW hotlink, its one click then *boom*.
    For an email link, it's at least two clicks (and could be several more) before you get into trouble.

Breaking direct links (of either kind) is Good Practice. thanks :)
    • Like Like x 1
  29. PSKL Member

Thanks for explaining. It makes some sense, although it seems a little tinfoil-hattish. Still, as they say, "better safe than stalked and psychologically tortured."
  30. telomere Member

If Scientology as an organization were more competent,
    and had competent people forwarding and analyzing the logs in an expeditious manner,

it could be a real problem.

Because they're not so competent, and OSA are kept on a very short leash,
    it's only a theoretical problem, 99% of the time.

Because of the 1%, and Due Diligence (in case the game should change) breaking links to CoS is WWP site policy.
    It's a mighty fine policy. :D
  31. PSKL Member

telomere: True.

This isn't very sequitur, but anyone and everyone should search youtube for "Skeletor's Rants."

N.B.: Make sure you have clean underwear. Or at least those superlative boxers that are yellow in the front and brown in the back.

Truefax.
  32. Anonymous Member

Necromancy has a 1:1 correspondence with mental illness.
    I hope you realize that.