Customize

Mental Illness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PSKL, Mar 4, 2011.

1. PSKL Member

Anyone interested in helping me start a mental illness awareness initiative? How do we start, and what do we do?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. fallingspider Member

The real issue here is that to address concerns regarding mental health issues you'd need to have a degree of knowledge that your average anon is not likely to have. Which makes it difficult to have a discussion that concerns anything more then oppinion. I'll agree there are reasons for legit concerns, I just don't think this is the right place to address those concerns.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

Do you have to be professional mental health practitioner to be against and inform others of for example: misconceptions of mental health patients like "mental condition is synonymous to stupid" ? Mental health awareness can mean a lot of things hence why instead of shooting the OP down the second he or she tried to talk about this, people maybe should have asked what OP was referring too.

What's next? no more antiwar protests unless you have been in the military?
    • Like Like x 3
  4. fallingspider Member

I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed, your right that there are a lot of misconceptions in the socially accepted understanding of mental illness. Everyone else here, and myself are saying that it is not within Anonymous scope or focus. Mental illness is not intrinsically related to the cult, the internet, or freedom of information. Now while there might be some civil rights problems in certain states regarding extreme autism, and possibly other severe mental illnesses, it does not fall within a catagory that Anonymous would be significantly useful for. There are all ready many groups that are persuing these issues, and making significant headway. I think that your energy would be better spent focused towards those groups goals then trying to convince anonymous to do what you want. Also as some one else pointed out, these types of issues gain the most support when you are able to provide real victims who people can relate to. That is inherently inconflict with the anonymous nature of Anonymous. Also beyond the basic educational purpose you suggested, for any real reform of care or legislation pertinate to the topic is handled you would need to have people with the educational backgrounds appropriate for these kinds of discussions.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Miranda Member

OP, be aware that we already have initiatives underway, so people are skeptical of taking on new ones. If your idea finds support, there's no reason it couldn't be undertaken--it would feed into the Scientology initiative in some ways. I suggest being patient, and laying out your concerns and the reasons for them. See how people react. In the meantime, familiarize yourself with the site and our current initiatives--perhaps you'll find information here that will be helpful to you.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. PSKL Member

Re: real victims:

If you want a real victim, I have filed a complaint against Harmonix Music Systems for wrongful termination on account of bipolar disorder. They've filed their position statement, which was full of holes, and I've filed my rebuttal, filling their position with water. I may be offered an out of court settlement, but what I'd really like to do is make this an important case for employment discrimination versus the mentally ill. I don't exactly want to be a martyr, but if you'd need one in order to take on the issue of mental illness--which is hugely denigrated by Scientology, mind you--I might be what the psychiatrist ordered.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

You got yourself a lawyer right? If true, what harmonix did is repugnant and shouldn't be legal.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Anonymous Member

There's another angle on mental illness that would also piss all over the CCHR lies that mental illness does not exist- and that is to show celebrities who have publicly anounced that they have a mental illness and yet are very successful. In the UK- Stephen Fry is bipolar, Spike Miligan was, too, John Cleese had family therapy and co wrote a book about familly therapy, Paul Merton has suffered from severe depression and sought psychiatric treatment.

This is just a few, UK comedians who have mental health issue who are highly intelligent, very successful and popular.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. fallingspider Member

You sound like your pretty upset, and I'd imagine that I would be too if I were in your shoes. However I think your current mindset is preventing you from looking at the responses your getting objectively. No one is trying to stop you from getting out there and changing the world, we are simply trying to tell you there are more productive ways to achieve these goals then to try and get anonymous to do it. There are groups out there looking for people like you, groups that are all ready doing what you are hoping anonymous will do. Trying to redirect anonymous would be like trying to redirect a herd of stampeding buffalo, and is likely to only end in pain.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Locnar Member

With just one minor edit you nailed it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

This is true, but the reality is even worse than that:

• Like Like x 5
  12. Anonymous Member

I believe that's the APA's job.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Anonymous Member

This is why I like right to work states. If I have an employee who can't control their emotional outbursts, I have the right to terminate them. Period.

What's next? Can't discriminate based on drug addiction? Please..
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

So you helped create those incredibly annoying/stupid guitar hero games for losers who can't play a real guitar?
    • Like Like x 2
  15. fallingspider Member

hah I'll conceed to that one...I should have thought of that one first, I fail.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Smurf Member

Mental illness doesn't exist. My fairy godmother said so.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  18. PSKL Member

Don't forget the Rock Band series and Dance Central.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. PSKL Member

Thanks for your helpful response.

Here's a link to some other celebrities with bipolar disorder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_bipolar_disorder
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Anonymous Member

All I got from this is "me me me me me".

You got screwed, and you're looking for us to help you. Nothx.
    • Like Like x 4
  21. PSKL Member

In response to the lawyer question, no I don't have one yet. I've found the process of looking for a lawyer to be really daunting--how do I find a "good" lawyer? Does anyone have any recommendations? I've shown my complaint to a friend of mine who was trained as an employment lawyer (he said it was an excellent complaint), and I've shown him my rebuttal as well. But he's someone I've named as a witness, so I can't use him as my lawyer.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. PSKL Member

If this were about me, don't you think I'd take the money and run?
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

If your friend is an employment lawyer he should know someone in that field that could represent you, no?
    • Like Like x 1
  24. subgenius Member

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    When it started out
    Help ME start....How do we start....what do we do....
    WTF......yeah help me let you do all the work and have all the ideas
    different agenda here....
    but seriously
    best wishes and hope you get healing and justice
    seriously
    • Like Like x 1
  25. PSKL Member

Sorry if my post seems needy. I guess I just thought that Anon had more capacity for change than one man standing alone. I'm looking for collaboration here, but I don't seem to have found it. My mistake.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

Anon takes on things that interest them. Freedom of speech, Scientology etc. When they're clearly not interested in something, trying to push it on them will backfire - WBC being a prime example.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. subgenius Member

Acceptance can be a first step. I'll ignore any hint of sarcasm or passive aggression that may exist in your post.
    This ain't the place, my friend (avoiding "dude"), WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM GOD, but I do think you will find the right place if you keep looking.
    I'm thinking if I googled I'd find it.
    So give that a try.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Had you said this as your OP:

Instead of this:

You would have gotten a different response.

Its not like some of us can't sympathize with you. (I have ADHD, PTSD, Depression, and GAD) It is just that you didn't clearly state why you need this rally. Also, you would have more luck getting momentum from others who are going through what you are going through that are non-anonymous. Your goals are really not something you need to be Anonymous for: There is no consequence for being namefagged.

If you want support for your cause, then your best bet is do a Google search and see what shakes loose. While Anon does want to see people get proper medical treatment for mental illness that is Scientology-free, Anon isn't going to be the blow horn for mental health in general.

I wish you good luck in getting justice and hope the face rape you got doesn't scare you away from continuing the fight with us against Scientology or protecting free speech.
    • Like Like x 5
  29. subgenius Member

incomprehensible
    also this is not Anonymous
    this is part of project chanology
    also avoid straw man arguments about what you thought anon is/was
    whatever i do wut i want
    interesting "collaboration" but also corroboration, no?
    once again good luck and watch that door on the way out
    it can be tricky
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Miranda Member

Actually, this is Off-Topic, and it's okay for OP to post about his/her interests here. If you aren't interested, no need to respond. People who don't find support generally go their way after a while.

I think the number of posts in this thread suggests it's an interesting topic. Maybe OP just needs to think it out a bit more.
    • Like Like x 5
  31. subgenius Member

a nod is as good as a wink
    • Like Like x 2
  32. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

I agree.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Anonymous Member

anyone ?
    • Like Like x 2
  34. PSKL Member

Miranda==thanks for the support.

I'll post more when I have more of a grasp on what I want to do. In the meantime, food for thought: http://mindhacks.com/2010/05/11/the-ups-and-downs-of-smouldering-talent/

Alright. Time to get my drink on. Have a good one, all.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. meion88 Member

OP- I think there's some potential to your ideas. Mental health activism is one of my main interests. Don't have much time to write at the moment, but would like to discuss more thoroughly later.

:)
    • Like Like x 1
  36. PSKL Member

I'd be happy to talk about potential ideas sometime. We could start off by addressing mental illness as it pertains to Scientology, since that's been the primary focus of this forum so far.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. SquirrelBait Member

I don't know the ratio of Co$ members that suffer from a psychological disorder. That would actually be some interesting information. i mean, it's clear they prey on insecurities, but would there be a direct connection between, say, depression and likeliness to get in bed with Co$?
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Anonymous Member

visit a CCHR exhibit...they know everything about everything
    • Like Like x 2
  39. Anonymous Member

didn't read all of the TLDR thread, but i have a really good resource for you, OP :

National Alliance on Mental Health
    http://www.nami.org/
    • Like Like x 1
  40. PSKL Member

• Like Like x 1