Customize

May 3 Hug Raid - Melbourne, AUS

Discussion in 'Flash Raids' started by thebluemage, Apr 14, 2008.

1. DEAT Member

Re: May 3 Hug Raid - Melbourne, AUS

I was part of the group who left the pub last and we didn't check for backpacks under tables, sorry :(
  2. kip_mudton Member

3. PirateLips Member

Sounds like it was fun, unfortunately I had a medical malady to attend to (gastro) so I couldn't make it. Hopefully all will be well for the 10th, I really don't want to miss out on fun again.
  4. erhowboutno Member

Yay I got into the video :D

Sorry to be a camwhore and shove my sign into the camera XD Felt like a good idea at the time.
  5. rastanon Member

Thanks BowlerAnon. It will be there next saturday as well.
  6. Re: May 3 Hug Raid - Melbourne, AUS

the pub doesn't have it :(
    i am such a fucking idiot.
  7. Wrathlon Member

Gah sorry to hear dude :(
  8. rastanon Member

"IT'S FUN TO STAY AT THE Y.M.C.A!" lulz and thanks to all the anon who danced!
  9. exanon Member

Ahhh...shit :(

Probably time to get into contact with the police to see if anyone's handed it in to them?
  10. kip_mudton Member

Yay sleep. Ok, now to post.

Firstly, to all who doubted the power of free hugs - I'm sorry to say but you were mistaken. Hugs are made of epic, epic, epic win. Many many hugs were given out and many fliers were handed out. I was decked out in a full anon costume - suit, afro and Guy Fawkes mask - yet surprisingly I had no trouble getting people to hug me. I even had a whole family hug me -that was awesome. While there was a couple of people who were apprehensive about the getup, most were just curious and many more willing to accept hugs. I also met a man who was an ex-scientologist who gave me his support. At the end of the protest I went to Flinders to catch my train back home. But with 20 minutes to kill until the next train, I turned on my speakers, played some Queen and held up my Free Hugs sign. I handed out more fliers then than I had all day and recieved a tonne of hugs.

In short, free hugs are a great way to connect with people, give anonymous a good public image and just make everyone :D

However, regarding our brief visit to the "Church" of Scientology, I have to say this. NEVER, EVER GIVE A SCIENTOLOGIST ANY REASON TO CONFRONT YOU OR CALL BLAME UPON YOU. We had a minor incident a couple month back with an anon stepping up with their video camera toward a scientologist taking photos from their car. In that incident the scifag got abusive, exited the car and tried to demask the anon. Police quickly settled things down.

But yesterday it looked we didn't learn a lesson from that. Yes, we didn't do anything illegal - but we were still all up in their grill, crowding the front of the scientologist building. That was incitment enough for the scientologists inside to call the police and lie to them, saying that we were kicking at the doors and windows. It doesn't matter that noone was kicking anything - we shouldn't have given them any cause to call the police in the first place.

In the end, scientology already know that we're protesting against them and showing up at the scientology building to mock them does nothing in forwarding our cause. So please, don't do anything that might incite a scientologist to act aggresive towards us. Remember, there are a number of friends and family members within scientology who we want to help - not all of them are responsible for scientologies crimes.

Peaceful protest and hugs will win the day.
  11. ROADKILL Member

Hay Guise,
    10 or so minutes spent at the hug raid where a blast. I got some excellent shots (thanks to new and totally fucking kick-ass camera) and my little brother (12) was so enthralled by the whole thing he's begging me to bring him on the 10th. Caught a few people in Bourke Street waiting for trams reading fliers that must have been given out, and my day was made when I saw a flier on the floor in the Myer's Designer Dpt Change rooms - good work guys, we're obviously reaching a lot of people.

EDIT: As for the whole Police thing, speaking on behalf of a certain relative of mine who is a constable, it probably wasn't personal when she was being a bit... harsh. CBD cops have a high work load and you have to remember the CoS probably weren't 100% polite to her either. There was about a million other things going on that day (Traffic was berserk due to a car accident somewhere, about 3 other rallies and protests and such and there was also a minor fire in Myer that Police attended.) and she was probably just out of her element. She was just doing her job, guys. ;)
    [/Public Service Announcement]
  12. Re: May 3 Hug Raid - Melbourne, AUS

yeah I'm calling Connex first thing tomorrow too. :(

but enough of my emo bullshit.

it was a great, fun time. even the partyvan bit!

i think a lot of anons seemed like they were getting a bit tired about the time we got to Lonsdale St, probably should have busted a move to the COS after that rather than detouring down swanners.

^^ this.
  13. exanon Member

Heh...yeah it was fun.

I think I overdosed on the fun and hugs (and kisses :S!!) :p

/me can't wait to see you all May 10 :eek:
  14. slmanic Member

Pics and vids will come soon. Am too fucking tired right now to do anything though.

Hugs were epic win! Thanks to all who wrote on my shirt too. It was so cute when a whole bunch of kids ran up to us for hugs. And that one little girl with the fluffy hat who ran around to hug as many anons as she could.
    So bloody adorable <3

All in all great day! bluemage = epic win for taking one for the team.
    I don't believe the cop was being a bitch or whatever. She was probably disappointed in us for allowing it to get to that point and annoyed about being called out for nothing. They know how good we are usually and they know enough about what the Co$ does to stir up shit.
    It did irritate me though when I was trying to call the anons on the other side of the road over and NO ONE wanted to come over. What was up with that guys? There was 5 of us being talked to by the cops and we didn't know what to say. Good thing someone decided to lead the group over otherwise we would have been fucked.
  15. exanon Member

Yeah, I think they were too far away to hear you guys slmanic. I was the one closest to you lot on that side of the road, but on the other side of the road, and I only just heard you guys...
  16. Wild_Tiger Member

17. Wrathlon Member

Yeah I didnt move initially because we didnt hear you call us and to me it would have been more logical to have 5 people cross the road than 25 so I was kinda waiting for that to happen. As soon as someone heard though and it was announced on our side they wanted us over there everyone got up without hassle.

While I think she could have been less pissy towards us, she probably was just angry to find they were called for effectively nothing.

In future though, I think it might pay to notify the cops if we plan to attend the front of the building in any way so they can at least be a witness. If any anon knows or is related to a cop, even an off duty one that can stand as an innocent bystander will probably defuse any attempt to get us arrested by CoS.
  18. slmanic Member

I didn't even yell anything. I was gesturing wildly to indicate that we needed a few people over on our side who actually knew what to do at the time.
    We weren't able to cross as the cops told us to wait where we were and we weren't about to disagree with them.
  19. ROADKILL Member

Uploading the pictures I got from the hug raid now.

Also, my mum saw a picture of Cat Girl and nearly died from a cute-induced-seizure. I do believe her words were
    "What a sweet girl to be dressing so adorable in such a scary situation! Catching flies with honey is the way to do it! How cute, these seem like some very nice people."

This is a phenomenal change from her usual "ARRGGGH ANONYMOUS PROTESTS ARE MAKING MY DAUGHTER SEXUALLY DEVIANT AND RAPING HER OF OUR CATHOLIC MORALS ARGGGHHHH BLARG! SO EVIL PROTESTING A RELIGION WHAT HORRIBLE PEOPLE!"

So maybe more anon should cute it up? Or we should clone Cat Girl?

EDIT: Also, Bluemage, you give the greatest man-hugs ever.
  20. exanon Member

FINE.
  21. ROADKILL Member

Okay, best hug of the RAID. I didn't get to hug you. :(
  22. erhowboutno Member

I lol'd. That's such a mum thing to say =P
  23. Wrathlon Member

I vote we clone catgirl :3

I could come in a tutu if it helps :p
  24. Sir Robin Member

What do you mean "or"?
  25. ROADKILL Member

26. Wrathlon Member

Oh yeah, my apologies to Catgirl and the other anon for piking on the club, those satays REALLY disagreed with me and I was actually pretty sick by the time I got home ;_; Feeling better now though :D
  27. erhowboutno Member

Haha you took a photo of Permit guy XD.

What happened with that guy anyway? Did catgirl end up getting in touch with Anonymousheartsyou? I wasn't really paying attention.
  28. Wild_Tiger Member

Hey you got the 1 picture of me. (Shirt ninja photographer). I look alright, eheh.
  29. erhowboutno Member

You may have looked alright by Anonymous' standards, but imagine turning up to any other event as a shirt ninja photographer :wink:
  30. Wild_Tiger Member

I'm sure they'd love me, okay! ;_;

:cake: for me.
  31. Re: May 3 Hug Raid - Melbourne, AUS

Yeah I got stuck at work, but managed to answer my phone (finally) and have a chat with permit guy. I don't think he believed my until I name dropped the person who authorised it, after that he didn't bother trying to find out anything else.
    I'll be coming on the 10th, WITH the permit.
  32. slmanic Member

bluemage won't be online till Tuesday or after, for those wondering.
  33. exanon Member

Ok xD

Damn, how many successes has the Anonymous Dating Agency had so far? Damn...

...it only comes second to the Anonymous Intelligence Agency (direct quote from some German cop).
  34. slmanic Member

I wouldn't know. Can anyone answer that? Hahaha
  35. exanon Member

:p
  36. exanon Member

also, get the hell on IRC.
  37. slmanic Member

Who me? I never use IRC. Too lazy. That and any other time I've gone on IRC I encounter cocky jerks who think they're the coolest thing on the net simply because they can use IRC.

Of course this was before I met the Melb Anons

Photos from the hugraid! Hug Raid - a set on Flickr
    I have a couple of clips of anons dancing but no editing program to make them watchable.
  38. exanon Member

Well, seeing as Melb Anons are so awesome: #melbraid on irc.eskimo.com
  39. Spike Nolanon Member

Melbanon isn't too ruthless on IRC.
  40. erhowboutno Member

When's peak hour of melbanon on IRC?