Customize

[May 14, 2011] Anonymous vs Scientology Rally (Chicago, IL,)

Discussion in 'Planning' started by Strong Strength, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Note: the Scientology building is actually at 3011 N. Lincoln Ave, not 3017. I just had to punch in the latter so that the map would show the right spot.

It's going down

3807197760_ab44ac6473_z.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be a double event on Saturday, May 14, 2011! Come for whichever you want... or both!

Event One: Scientology building, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. Show up, have fun, get photographed by creepy Scientologists, watch them hide behind posters inside their nearly-empty building. Their building is in the Lakeview section of Chicago, at 3011 N. Lincoln Ave.

w8rqqv.png

Event Two: Millennium Park, 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. Hang out, educate the public, have fun in one of the most beautiful big-city parks in the world, right in the heart of downtown Chicago. Our usual spot is at the intersection of Michigan Ave. & Madison St., at the western edge of the park.

2qb9i6v.png

You can come for either of the events or both! Please use this thread for planning, questions, and comments about what's gonna happen. I'll keep this first post updated as things get worked out. Have fun!
  2. So like, where are we doing this and when?

I know there are people who miss Millennium Park, but we've also built up momentum at the org. Last month, someone put forth the idea of doing a "doubleheader" event at both locations in the same day at slightly different times. That way people could come for their favorite place, or go to both if they have no lives, and it'd be a compromise on location. One downside is that we might have fewer people at each individual spot.

If there's enough support for that idea (and I have no idea if anyone wants to do it, but I'm willing to try it), then I think the most workable way to set things up would be something like... Millennium Park 11-2, Org 4-7. We'd need that full 2-hour gap for people going to both to actually take a rest, get a bite to eat, and have time for transportation. Start things any earlier, and it'll be hard to get people to roll out of bed and actually make it to the park in time; start any later, and the org crew would have to be out there in the dark and stay out late.

Anyway, please share any input you guys have.
  3. Paladin Member

I hate to sound negative about the doubleheader idea, but I don't think it is workable. The big problem that I can see is public transportation. As you get closer to the evening, I believe some buses and trains may not run as frequently. That could be a problem for some leaving the org at 7.

My vote is for the Org from noon to 3. That way we can be seen by those who are coming from and going to the org during their lunch break. If a bunch of us want to go to the park, then I will take a pass and protest on the next org date.
  4. anonymous612 Member

What if you started before noon? I don't know how your transit runs but that'd give you a couple more hours to work with between the park and the Org.
  5. Dra Member

We could also switch to doing the org earlier in the day and the park later... transportation seems to be better heading out of downtown rather than in (a little bit better at least).
  6. Paladin Member

Both Dra and Six have good ideas. The problem with having an anonymous group is that we don't know each others work schedules, locaton, means of transport,etc. I think everyone who would like to protest should simply state their preferences. Once we know what everyone wants to do then we can find a compromise.
  7. anonymous612 Member

Never understood why so many cells started their protests at eg 1pm anyway...
  8. We've sort of gravitated towards starting later, because that tends to be around the time when a lot of people were showing up anyway. Back when we'd start around 11 a.m. or so, the protesters would be few and far between until the afternoon. So in the interest of trying to get everyone in the same place at the same time, we've more often been starting things off later, as of recently.

It does give people more time to sleep in, travel, etc. Some people seem to prefer that.

Another option is have 2 events in the month, one for each location, but I won't be able to participate in both because I doubt I will have both Saturdays free (or if I did, if I'd even want to go more than once a month). Not trying to dissuade anyone from doing that, if that's what most people would prefer, just saying.

Paladin, if you want, I'm okay with doing it the way Dra suggested too - org earlier in the day, then the park later. Only thing is that I think an 11 a.m. start time would work better, cuz then some people could go 11-2 at org, break, 4-7 at the park. Any later and the park people will be out there in the dark and there won't be as many people to give fliers to.
  9. anonk6 Member

I am all for the 11-2/4-7, org-to-park schedule. Also, if transit is an issue, I'd suggest google transit'ing there(s) and back, using the times expected. It's pretty good at pointing out such issues as they may arise.

Thus, I will be there, most likely with some new signage should inspiration strike (suggestions welcome).
  10. Paladin Member

Ok, 11 to 2 at the org works for me. If that's the plan then I'm there. Hope the rest of you will enjoy the park later that day.
  11. Darth Xander Member

11 to 2 at the org works for me too. Yah!
  12. Th3ox Member

Im comin this time ;D

i would have rsvp'd already, however it gives me errors... which is not fun
  13. Th3ox Member

This plan sounds complex....
    I like it
  14. No, it's really quite simple...

10zsqkk.png

(updated OP with clearer info about what we seem to be leaning towards)
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Unbrainwashed Member

See you all at the org! 11-2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Darth Xander Member

Second month in a row. Careful. Its very addictive! Before you know it you'll find yourself thinking about traveling down to Clearwater and taking videos like this:

You've been warned!
    • Like Like x 4
  17. anonymous612 Member

Think about it. THINK ABOUT IT.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anyone remember this random blast from the past from the Topix message board? Note the posting date...

2lw3vnq.png
  19. Also, anyone else planning on coming to the Millennium Park part? I'm hoping Honk Sign Lady might be there, but I don't know what the turnout might be.
  20. Dra Member

I'll be at both locations :)
  21. expo Member

i will be showing up with a friend. anyone know how many ppl will be showing up?
  22. Hello and welcome. My best estimate from what's been posted so far would be...

Org from 11-2: probably at least 5, likely closer to 10 if the weather's good, maybe more than that if we have a bunch of people pop out of the woodwork

Millennium Park from 4-7: perhaps 2-5 people

You're not required or expected to go to both. I think most people are picking whichever location is their favorite, or whatever they're in the mood for.
  23. expo Member

oh i see well im coming from cali to wisconsin and my friend is gonna drive for there to chic but it sounds good to me this is gonna be my first
  24. DR Ninja Member

what is "seaOrg"?
  25. anonymous612 Member

26. Anonymous Member

27. It's the only hope for salvaging this sector of the galaxy. Join our paramilitary group for a billion years TODAY!

35b6y2x.jpg

Free rice 'n' beans.
  28. First-timers have to take a dip in the Crown Fountain at Millennium Park. No exceptions.

4702506136_1f206bc8ba_z.jpg

(kidding btw)
    • Like Like x 1
  29. AnonExecutor Member

Hey all planning on attending with a couple others to protest.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Anonymous Member

I would come, but i kinda live a few hundred miles away, and like no one in my city does these kind of things, lame ass city i live in....
  31. Anonymous Member

Escanaba?
  32. Paladin Member

33. Paladin Member

• Like Like x 1
  34. Wow, they got spanked.

We need to get a Kool-Aid Man costume at the next protest.
  35. AnonExecutor Member

lmao @ the Kool-Aid Man costume and great to see people get involved and get stuff done like that.
  36. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  37. 9376 Member

Guess who.
    • Like Like x 2
  38. A blond Severus Snape? 2ymukab.gif

You hear about how CoS got served ([1], [2]) this past month? We haven't seen iPod Girl for a long time either. It's likely they just keep her tucked inside when we come now or something like that, but I guess we can hold out hope she got the hell out of there.
  39. metgyre Member

so, apparently im going to be in chicago. ill go to both if someone can pick me up to take me to the org, otherwise i will be at millenium. there, THAT should boost attendance.
    • Like Like x 2
  40. Awesome. I'd give you a ride if I could, but all the cool kids are taking the Brown Line to Wellington, so it won't be possible for me.

But I hope to see you at the org anyway - you know you wanna meet some of our Scientologists!