Customize

Matt Stone and Trey Parker writing Scientology musical

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Apr 7, 2013.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

This is going to be good! :D

Matt Stone and Trey Parker plan Scientology musical | Contactmusic.com

April 8, 2013

Matt Stone and Trey Parker are working on a musical about Scientology.

The 'South Park' and 'Book of Mormon' creators are planning to lampoon the controversial religion on the stage and its star follower Tom Cruise is horrified at the idea.

A source said: ''It's still being written but Tom is concerned he'll be the butt of the jokes.

''Tom caught wind of their plans and wasn't happy but then realised there isn't much he can do to stop it.''

Continued at
    www.contactmusic.com/news/matt-stone-and-trey-parker-plan-scientology-musical_3589358
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Anonymous Member

"
    Tom was recently paid tribute to by business tycoon James Packer, who claims the 'Mission Impossible' actor saved him from a deep depression and helped him join the Church of Scientology.
    James said: ''When I was at my lowest, Tom Cruise reached out to me. He believed in me when other people didn't.
    ''I'd met him once or twice ... and he was in Australia and we got together. I think he could tell that I was in pain. He invited me to go to his house to go skiing with him at Christmas.
    ''And he never asked me for anything, in our entire life. He believed in me when other people didn't. I'm very grateful. I just think he's a very special person.'' "

Didn't James Packer blow?
    • Like Like x 3
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. amaX Member

Does this mean we'll all have to go to New York?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ....and WTF does James Parker have to do with Matt Stone, Trey Parker, South Park or the upcoming musical? Not much.... but these do. LULZ

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

Today, Tony Ortega wrote:

Parker and Stone Writing a Scientology Musical?

ContactMusic posted an unbylined and oddly written story last night that relies on unnamed sources to claim that Matt Stone and Trey Parker are working on a Scientology musical, and that Tom Cruise isn’t happy about it.

<snip>

But we’re somewhat dubious of this story. Not only does it attribute to an unnamed source that Stone and Parker are actively writing a new musical, but the source somehow also knows that Cruise “wasn’t happy” about it.

Another odd thing about the story: it spends as much time talking about Cruise’s friendship to Australian billionaire James Packer, which appears to have little to do with a musical by Parker and Stone.

Well, we’re skeptical, but we’d love to hear that Parker and Stone are actually working on a Scientology extravaganza.

The article and open comments are at
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/04/08/an-interview-with-brandon-ogborn-about-his-play-the-tomkat-project/
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Anonymous Member

8. CarterUSP Member

I doubt it's true.
    Would have been awesome though.
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Book of Mormon Creators Plan Scientology Musical? - WorldTVPC

The London West End launch of comedy musical The Book of Mormon has been deemed a breakout success in terms of ticket sales, and while not quite receiving the whirlwind of positive reviews that it has enjoyed in its home country of America (to the extent where a film version has been planned), has been viewed as a refreshing alternative to the usual fare on offer on the theatrical stage.

The play has been described as a ‘loving tribute’ to both points of view on organised religion (with a particular emphasis on Mormonism) by creators Trey Parker & Matt Stone (South Park), but some rumours in the industry are suggesting they are planning a new musical, one that would be unlikely to include any redeeming praise for its target.

While it does have official status in some countries (including the USA), the jury is still out for many on whether Scientology can actually be described as a religion (with some viewing it as a money-grabbing cult notable for several celebrity members), and most of those views against are led primarily by Parker & Stone, who brought Scientology to light with their ‘controversial’ South Park season 9 episode “Trapped in the Closet”.

The episode of the animated comedy lampooned the faith and its followers, notably Tom Cruise and John Travolta, amongst others, but was most notable for the fall-out afterwards, with late soul singer Isaac Hayes (a voice actor on the show and known Scientologist) quitting his work on South Park in protest.

However, the main issue came when the episode was eventually denied re-runs due to Paramount Studios (who are owned by Viacom, who also control South Park‘s network of Comedy Central) ordering it to not air, following a threat from Cruise to cancel a publicity tour of Paramount movie Mission Impossible III if it was not pulled.

If a Scientology musical is being planned, it would be doing so away from any formal South Park ties, but would presumably have the likes of Cruise firmly in their sights for parody.

<snip>

While the rumours do not have too much validity at this point, it would not be a far-fetched move to make for the Important Studios founders, who have made no secret of their distaste for Scientology before, and along with Mormonism has been two lesser-known religions which have been brought into the spotlight through their works over the years.

Full article, and open comments:
    www.worldtvpc.com/blog/book-of-mormon-creators-plan-scientology-musical/
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, David Miscavige, David Miscavige
    Who are you? What have you sacrificed?
    Jesus Christ Superstar, David Miscavige Superstar
    Do you think you're what they say you are?
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 5
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

South Park Creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone Ridicule Scientology In Broadway Musical

By Bobby Fischer, Celeb Dirty Laundry

The South Park episode that makes fun of Scientology is possibly one of the most accurate and hilarious depictions of Scientology on the Internet. Apparently, we may now be getting a full blown musical version of that!

<snip>

No doubt, whatever Stone and Parker come up with will be great – The Book of Mormon proved that their musical and parody skills are pretty much unrivaled. I can already see the Scientology musical selling out across Broadway.

More at
    www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2013/south-park-creators-scientology-broadway-musical-trey-parker-matt-stone-0501/
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Quentinanon Member

I think there is validity in laughing the cult out of existence.
    • Like Like x 6
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

Slow news day.

Scientology: The Musical! From the Creators of South Park!

Published by SourceFed on May 6, 2013

Matt Stone and Trey Parker, the geniuses behind South Park, are reportedly working on their next musical. This time, their target is Scientology, and it has one mega-superstar all worried. We don't name names.

Tom Cruise.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. PTS Member

Scamitology is inherently malevolent. An alarming number of people die while trapped in the cult. Many more are ruined emotionally, ethically, and of course financially. Thinking feeling individuals are turned into unquestioning psychopaths, devoid of conscience, with a sense of reality so distorted that they become capable of inflicting horrendous abuse on people. I just cannot imagine much entertainment value in spoofing that.
  16. Anonymous Member

17. The Wrong Guy Member

Parody

par·o·dy

1: a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule

From www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parody

Perhaps the bigger story here is not that the cult will again be ridiculed, but that its policies, crimes, and beliefs will be brought to the attention of a larger audience.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. anon walker Moderator

We should write it. We got the chops.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Anonymous Member

Is it a "rumour" or is it a nice piece of market research.
    Put the idea "out there" and go ahead if it gets a good response.
    Or it could be payback for the cult investigating them after the South Park episode.
  20. anon8109 Member

I wonder if this is really going to happen. It's been almost 9 months and no news.
  21. PTS Member

Indeed.
    I reacted as an ex-clam which I keep forgetting is not the way to roll around here.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Nancy Beazley Member

If Mel Brooks can write "Springtime for Hitler," Matt Stone and Trey Parker can sure as hell write a hit called "Scientology: The Musical."
    • Like Like x 4
  23. Horseradish Member

You could always approach Stewart Lee (co-creator Jerry Springer: The Opera).
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

The Core Mormon Teaching the LDS Church Didn’t Jettison | The Daily Beast

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints recently backpedaled on a key tenet of Mormon theology: that after death, righteous Mormons will become gods, with the capacity to create planets of their own. But while press coverage of the walk-back has focused on the “Mormons get their own planets” doctrine, already ridiculed on Broadway and TV, what’s remarkable is what the LDS church left in.

Indeed, the church doubled down on the core Mormon teaching that God had a physical/human body, and that, in turn, we will have spiritual/divine ones. In other words, that we are just like God and will later be “exalted” to God’s divine state. This despite a half-century of attempting to become more and more Christian, and less and less weird.

That campaign is why the former standard-bearer of polygamy, a practice the church argued all the way to the Supreme Court on several occasions, has stood up as the defender of “traditional marriage” by funding anti-gay marriage campaigns in California and across the country. And why a formerly segregated church, which until 1978 barred African-Americans from the priesthood and still has in its scripture the teaching that people with black skin are “stained” that way because of sin, has now launched a multicultural ad campaign and waffled on what those verses really mean.

Unfortunately, rather like Scientology’s efforts to rebrand itself as an alternative form of psychotherapy, the LDS church’s doctrinal whitewashing has been undermined by fractious ex-believers, pranksters just out to tease (or defame), and the Internet. The wackiest of Mormon teachings — many unknown to practicing Mormons today — have been dredged up and held to ridicule.

But unlike Scientology, Mormonism also has a hit musical to contend with.

Continued at http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-teaching-the-lds-church-didn-t-jettison.html
    • Like Like x 2
  26. anon8109 Member

Scientology The Musical premiers at Adelaide Fringe festival 2017.

I don't know if this is at all related to the Stone/Parker project.

Part 1/8
    • Like Like x 3