Customize

Maria Pia Gardini, in un’intervista esclusiva sull’esperienza in Scientology

Discussion in 'Italia' started by Belladonna, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Belladonna Member

Maria Pia Gardini, in un’intervista esclusiva sull’esperienza in Scientology

Maria Pia Gardini, in un’intervista esclusiva sull’esperienza in Scientology | MondoRaro, il tuo magazine indipendente (from USA)

imieianniinscientology1.jpg

For English speakers who want in on this, here is a robot translation:
    Where it says "Se ti è piaciuto questo articolo, leggi anche"
    Everything listed below is a link. If you want to read about Anonymous in Italian, it is there for you to check out.
  2. Belladonna Member

3. mnql1 Member

Re: Maria Pia Gardini, in un’intervista esclusiva sull’esperienza in Scientology

Maria Pia Gardini published her book "My Years in Scientology" in 2007. In 2008, she announced that her next book would be a collection of stories about ex-Scientologists. This article reports that the COS of Italy has sent a letter to Maria Pia Gardini and her publisher warning them that her 2007 book was defamatory and threatening legal action if her next book is defamatory. The article provides a link to the letter (in Italian): http://exscn.googlegroups.com/web/d...ETOBpyHrmjbuQ_h1Cr9CwLBGYAA3bJFBPDvFfjONShYxy
  4. WTF Member

Re: Maria Pia Gardini, in un’intervista esclusiva sull’esperienza in Scientology

Damn so many exes with diahhrea of the pen--trying to run the valence of Elron or wut?
  5. Belladonna Member

Thank you mnql1. BTW, did not know that you were also AO - ? (lulz)

This will be hard to keep up with, not knowing Italian law, but it is interesting anyway.
  6. Ann O'Nymous Member

Weak attempt from scientology, IMHO.

Her first book is great. I hope the new one will be too.

FTR, she is looking for an publisher in English.
  7. Belladonna Member

8. Ann O'Nymous Member

9. xenubarb Member

Psssh! Defamatory?

What about Religious Freedumb Watch? The hypocrisy of these assholes! It's really something!
  10. mnql1 Member

Nice catch, Belladonna. Here are a few details. I ordered the book from ibs.it and will post more at a later date.

Il corraggio di parlare (The Courage to Speak), edited by Maria Pia Gardini. Introduction by journalist Alberto Laggia. 168 pages. Paoline Editoriale Libri, Milan, 2009.

Il coraggio di parlare. Paoline.it
    Il coraggio di parlare. Storie di fuoriusciti da Scientology - Laggia Alberto - Libro - IBS - Paoline Editoriale Libri - Libroteca/Paoline

ilcoraggiodiparlarestor.jpg

Published on December 1, 2009, this book contains the stories of 14 ex-Scientologists, 10 of whom are Italian. The word "courage" in the title is especially apt because the COS of Italy sent a threat of litigation to Maria Pia Gardini and her publisher, Paoline (Pauline Books, a Catholic publishing house). No wonder one article called it "the book Scientology did not want to see published". This article, dated November 28, contains an interview with Maria Pia Gardini and a spokeperson for the publisher. The spokesperson said, "It is not a crime to state the facts when they exist and can be documented." Asked why Scientology is afraid of this book, Maria Pia Gardini replied: "It's quite simple. Until now, the only critical voice has been mine and that of a few others on the Internet. When my first book appeared, the ever-present Scientologists kept carping, 'She speaks because she wants money,' 'She's the only one saying these things,' etc. (...) Now they have to answer to 14 ex-Scientologists, not just myself. They have their work cut out for them ..."

The publisher will feature this book in Rome on December 5-8 at the book fair Più libri, più liberi (loose translation: "More books, more freedom").

One website (the one Belladonna spotted) says (in Italian):

11. mnql1 Member

They certainly are relentless.
  12. Belladonna Member

Fantastic. I will fantasize about a photo op in front of the new Rome org Scientology keeps bragging about.

Thank you for this information.
  13. firebug Member

Looks like they are going to sue her because of the new book

LA CHIESA DI SCIENTOLOGY HA DATO INCARICO AI PROPRI LEGALI DI CITARE IN GIUDIZIO MARIA PIA GARDINI

google translation

14. Ann O'Nymous Member

All requests to cease this behavior were in vain.
  15. mnql1 Member

I've just received Il coraggio di parlare. The fourteen chapter titles are:
    (1) Bryce
    (2) Ildiko Bajnoczi
    (3) Dino Michieletto
    (4) Andrea G.
    (5) Giuliana Costantini
    (6) Enrico Costantini
    (7) Giusi de Martin Roder
    (8) Giacomo Sotgia
    (9) Astra Woodcraft
    (10) Franco
    (11) Paola
    (12) Ernesto Menta
    (13) Tory Christman Bezazian
    (14) Lawrence Woodcraft

The back cover contains the following quotation:

16. DeathHamster Member

CoS always huffs and puffs over books, but when was the last time that they did more than that? They've been riding on their past vicious reputation for a long time now try to chill publishers.

I think they'd be stupid to want to start a controversial legal action in one of their relatively safe environments, and publicize the book like crazy, but they always manage to tap new stockpiles of stupid and crazy.
  17. Sponge Member

How accurate is this? It comes from a cult press release. Is it an actual law suit or some sort of weak ass cease & desist?
    More info plox.

Here's the Bing auto-translated version.....

18. TinyDancer Member

Precisely. I'll believe it when I see it. The last thing that David Miscavige could handle is a defamation trial in Italy, with 14 victims lined up to tell their stories and a hundred more standing right behind them.
  19. DeathHamster Member

I'm sure that someone could think of a reason to depose David Miscavige, and ever since the weird "public buggery" deposition incident, CoS's legal machine has stayed parked, except to settle stuff like the Lisa McPherson civil case, defend in France, or pulling the strings in the Riverside kangaroo court against Henson.
  20. _You_ Member

It sounds like Miscavige intends to sue. Lawyers sent an official warning "Atto di diffeda (which is moar like a Cease and Desist letter) in September complete with fiscal stamp.

It would be foolish for the asthmatic dwarf to pursue this, which prolly means he will do it he is so desperate and foot-bullet crazed.
  21. Re: Maria Pia Gardini, in un’intervista esclusiva sull’esperienza in Scientology

...and some little thing in Nevada, oh wait... that was a spurious criminal complaint which as-of-yet lead to any charges, not a lawsuit.
  22. Sponge Member

A cease & desist is not always an intention to sue. Sometimes it's just a load of old worthless baawww on fancy notepaper.
  23. _You_ Member

Aye, 'tis true.

If the CoS does sue, Misavige's stupidity truly knows no bounds...so yup, either could be true. ;)
  24. realitybites Member

^
    c'é una problema?
    =)