Customize

MARCAB INVASION II - SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON 2009

Discussion in 'Finished Projects' started by Anonagi, May 23, 2009.

1. Anonagi Member

MARCAB INVASION II - SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON 2009 - DONATIONS END 10:00AM PST

[COLOR="Red"]
    [SIZE="6"]ONLY 12 HOURS LEFT FOR DONATIONS! PAYPAL LINKS ARE WORKING AGAIN!

DONATIONS END 10:00 AM PST MONDAY MORNING

Meetup points to be determined Tuesday after finalizing details with San Diego Harbor Police and SDPD/Metro PD[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]
    Christ, the Scilons put me through the ringer the last few weeks.

/edit

marcablogoi.png

Anonymous Comics is getting ready to launch Marcab Invasion II!

We need your help.

Instead of doing it through the San Diego website this year, Marcab Invasion will take place through the Anonymous Comics website as will donations.

Comic Con responded VERY WELL to the viral aspect of the youfoundthecomic and youfoundthecard last year and we’re using what we used last year to make sure we reach even more people this year.

Information about this operation will be split up into several different posts here for reference, questions, and quoting purposes, also to edit them as plans conceivably change.

One thing we learned last year is that no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

Areas in the thread posted:

• Brief recap of previous year’s invasion
    • About this year’s event
    • Plans for the Invasion
    • Donation Info
    • Artwork Contribution
    • Misc. stuff.

(Edit 5-24)
  2. Anonagi Member

Re: MARCAB INVASION II - SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON 2009

The recap of 2008

Last year, Anonymous raised $1500 and printed up a combined total of 50k+ postcards and business cards to spread the word about Scientology’s abuses. Anonymous worldwide banded together in support of a crazy event in San Diego.

Those of you that were there remember what a fucking insane weekend it was, and those that weren’t around for it remember reading the post raid reports of that weekend.

It was definitely something to remember. There were several threads on WWP about the invasion and the like.

Exploding cars, death threats, legal threats, jailbait, running from the police, owning Scientology, etc. All in all, a great weekend for Anonymous and the largest outreach project so far in Chanology.

Full post raid report for that insane operation is here:

OPERATION: MARCAB INVASION - COMIC-CON 2008

Aftermath thread is here:

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/121-...rcab-invasion-post-report-huge-success-23785/

Plans changed quite a bit during the weekend due to various things but the invasion went off without any major hitches due to some quick thinking and being prepared with a lot of contingency plans.

About this year’s event

Why Comic-Con?

San Diego Comic-Con is the largest gathering of media, pop culture, movie culture, and comic culture in the US, held annually during the summer in San Diego. Attendance last year topped 130,000 people and this year is expected to grow to 150,000 attendees.

Comic-Con enters it’s 40th anniversary this year and there will be many more people attending specifically for this reason.

Very few people at the Comic Con actually herald from San Diego – people come from all over the world to attend this convention and most of them have high level industry, press, and media connections. There is no better, cheaper, or more entertaining way to spread the word about the dangers of Scientology to this many people globally, especially people that are on the cutting edge of all the cultures that Comic-Con attracts. Scientology wishes they could exploit this goldmine, but we run this.

What are Marcabs?

In the Church of Scientology, the Marcab Confederacy is said to be one of the most powerful galactic civilizations still active. Church founder L. Ron Hubbard describes it as:

"Various planets united into a very vast civilization which has come forward up through the last 200,000 years, formed out of the fragments of earlier civilizations. In the last 10,000 years they have gone on with a sort of decadent kicked-in-the-head civilization that contains automobiles, business suits, fedora hats, telephones, spaceships — a civilization which looks almost an exact duplicate but is worse off than the current US civilization."

The capital of the Confederacy is said to be "one of the tail stars of the Big Dipper", probably Alkaid, a star 108 light years distant from Earth. The Marcabians used to rule Earth at some point in the past but lost control of it due to "losses in war and other things".

They also invented the income tax system, reason enough to hate them.

During the early days in the Anonymous' campaign against the Church of Scientology, it was revealed via internal leaks in Scientology that upper level Scientologists believed that Anonymous was under hypnosis or mind control from the Marcabians. The Marcabians were somehow getting psychologists to use the internet to mass brainwash people which then became Anonymous, seeing as how the Church of Scientology cannot comprehend the nature of Anonymous, or that people would do this without any sort of financial motivation and without leaders.

Scientology stated that "either the 4th or the 5th Marcab Invasion Fleet" was parked outside of Jupiter orbit, directing all the actions of brainwashing Anonymous into attacking the Church of Scientology.

Anonymous took this ludicrous claim and ran with it, with it being a staple of much of our amusement for the entirety of Chanology and especially last year’s Invasion. There have been many things that Scientology has come up with to explain the existence of Anonymous, however, this is the funniest one.

What is the Marcab Invasion 2?

The Marcab Invasion is the name for the operations that Anonymous and the groups it attracts will be taking at Comic-Con 2009 to reach the public. This is far more than a standard raid or protest. This is an invasion on an epic scale, reaching people and places that we would not be able to otherwise, taking place over four days.

Other information is posted in this thread about donations, current plans and operations, and different ideas on how to maximize effectiveness at Comic-Con, for those who are attending the convention, and those who aren't that want to help.

(Edit 5-24)
  3. Anonagi Member

Plans for the Invasion

There are three plans in place for this year’s Invasion.

Plan 1 – Ad placed in San Diego Comic-Con Program Book

Each attendee gets a bag of goodies with their badge and membership information. There are also several books that contain ads, special deals, commemorative drawings marking the occasion, etc.

The book in particular is the program guide that goes with Comic-Con. It's usually a hundred or more pages and has details about the convention, every event, every booth, and everything else. This book is expected to be huge this year given it’s Comic-Con’s 40th anniversary.

These books are considered collectors items as only people at the convention get them and they are highly sought after for this very reason.

According to my contacts, we need to have the ad ready to go the second week of June (exact date will be revealed later once a few final details are hammered out.

Essentially, Anonymous becomes a "sponsor" of Comic-Con, and they let us put an ad in this book which 150,000 people will be getting.

The approximate cost is $1100 for a full page ad.

A bit more ambitious than the plans we had last year, eh? This makes sure EVERYONE WHO ATTENDS THE CONVENTION IS REACHED.

Plan 2 – Freebie Table postcards

At Comic-Con, immediately following registration, users are directed to a “freebie table,” which has several hundred feet of table space where people put advertisements, free comic books, pins, etc.

It looks like a hurricane hits it every year and we were no exception. Youfoundthecomic cards were the fastest items going off that table – because people recognized the logo we used.

This is identical to what happened last year but the funding for it will be a bit different.

Since the deadline for the cards is mid July, we’ll keep donations open another month after we find out if we got the ad placed or not.

Plan 3 - Comic-Con MegaRaid

Each day, Anons that want to take a break from the con end up passing out information and youfoundthecards throughout downtown San Diego and near the convention (but not on convention center grounds – we learned this last year.)

You will pass out THOUSANDS of cards just in an hour or two. I personally blew through about 2000 in two hours last year. That’s one every few seconds, and we ran out last year more than once.

People love us and most at CCI recognize us, so we are able to use this incredibly effectively. More details will be posted about meetup locations and times the closer we get to the event.
  4. Anonagi Member

Information about Donations
    How to donate, and where the money goes

As of right now, there are two ways people can donate to the cause.

Straight Donations

Donations at this time are accepted through a widget on Youfoundthecomic.com.

The donation page is here.

Paypal accepts all donations completely anonymously, and all donations go to a secured account that has been in place since 2001. This is the way it was done last year.

This account is completely secured and I have personally worked with Paypal to keep it that way.

Anonymous gear through the Anonymous Comics Store

Unfortunately, anything bought through the Anonymous Comics Store will NOT have the funds clear by the time the Invasion comes around.
    This was an oversight on my part last year and I had to pay several hundred out of my own pocket to make it all work. Same problem this year, but now there’s a plan to get around this.

EVERYTHING IN THE ANONYMOUS COMICS STORE HAS BEEN MARKED DOWN TO COST.

Because of this, we ask that if you do wish to buy, take the savings on shirts, stickers, etc. and donate it directly to the Marcab Invasion fund via paypal.

A link will also be provided in the store to the donation page for this purpose.

That way you still get some kickass gear for yourself and are able to help us out financially.

Mail-In donations

At the time of this initial posting, donations to the paypal account are the ONLY way we can accept donations.

I’m trying to get a drop box for paper donations/money orders for the few people that wish to drop off cash towards the cause that way, but as you can see, this takes a bit more to safeguard and protect people who do decide to donate.

Where does the money go?

Basically, we have two deadlines to meet. The first is mid June for the ad in the book, and the second is mid July for the order for the cards to go to the printer.

Here's how the money donated will break down.

Our goal is $2000.

1) If we raise our $1100 by the deadline to get the ad in the comic-con program book, any donations over and above the $1100 will go towards making cards for the freebie table and to pass out at the convention.

2) If we fail to raise $1100 by mid June, the money will go towards a smaller, less expensive ad instead of the full-page one, and any money leftover will go directly to printing up cards.

Hope that made sense.Any other questions, you can PM me or email me at anonofsparta@gmail.com

Artwork Contribution

Can’t help out financially or be at the raid? Help us at Anonymous Comics with artwork. Draw but can’t write? Hook up with a writer. Write but can’t draw? Help out an artist with writers block.

More information on artwork contribution can be found at www.youfoundthecomic.com directly. Much thanks to Vir for stepping up to the plate in my absence.
  5. Anonagi Member

Miscellaneous Stuff

Watch this space for updates by date regarding different changes to the operation as Scientology inevitably tries to fuck with us again – we’ve had a full year to plan this out, and they’ve had a full year to plan to stop it. Make no mistake – they will try.
  6. Anonymous Member

Is it a different book than this?
  7. Anonagi Member

Yes.
  8. Anonymous Member

good!!!!!

Well, I expect to see you in July.

Don't brake any more bones in the meantime, K.
  9. NotSoAnon Member

Who is representing the cult of Scientology - Bridge Publications, Author Services, etc.? Will you mention that part of Scientology in all of your publications as, in effect, the handmaiden of the criminal cult attending the event?

If you don't do this in a way that strongly ties what you are doing as a response to Scientology's presence at comic-con 2009, why waste your time and money?
  10. ObamAnon Member

Command me, my Lord.
  11. ObamAnon Member

NotSoAnon: We got it covered, Galaxy Press was there in 2008, trying to lure in kiddies with crap from the 'Golden Age of Sci-Fi". Went over like a lead balloon. We made sure everyone knew the connection. A major fail for the Scilons.

Note this: vendors were selling Vendetta/Anon masks in the hall, and the Sci's were taking pix of everyone who walked by with one, no matter how young. Very creepy to see such paranoia directed at children.
  12. Anonymous Member

Will you expand the moderator and administrator team on YouFoundTheComic? We need 24 hour presence there during the convention and in the immediate aftermath, to handle any spam/trolling/"Tom Newton" posting death threats against himself/scilons complaining about religious intolerance - you know, the usual crap.
  13. Anonagi Member

Yeah, I will. The forum may be switching servers...we'll see.

And honestly, nobody gives a shit if Scientology shows up or not to Comic-Con. Galaxy press has a booth there but they don't even put a blurb about themselves in the Comic-Con brochure so people have no idea who they are unless they walk by the booth.

Scilons can't recruit at CCI because nearly everyone who attends is internet savvy and therefore knows Scientology is a load of shit.

All this will be updated and look very pretty by the end of this weekend - time to kill myself working on it again and I couldn't be happier :D
  14. xenubarb Member

I liek mah L. Ron Hubbard Golden Age of Dreck playing cards. Want moar GaLUXy press trinkets!
  15. nightfire Member

bamp
  16. nightfire Member

x2
  17. DaftAnon Member

I'm excited to see all of this.

It took me an hour to read because I'm silly.

Thanks for the update, nig-nag
  18. DrL0Lington Member

bump
  19. Anonymous Member

bump with great justice
  20. Anonagi Member

More Info Bamp
  21. moarxenu Member

It is so great to see these events rolling around again. We have learned so much moar operational effectiveness in a year.

Last year was epic. Looking forward to moar epic.
  22. Anonagi Member

Anonymous thanks the kind soul that just donated $300 to the cause.
  23. Anonymous Member

Is there a hard deadline for when the last donation can be made and hit the account for it to be used?
  24. RandomFace Member

29lk377.jpg.gif
  25. Anonagi Member

The donation drive will officially end mid July, however, we need to raise $1100 by mid June to get in the program.
  26. Anonser Member

I was wondering, is there an rs of issue #0 floating around? I'd love to read it.
  27. Anonymous Member

payday right around the corner.
  28. Anonagi Member

The forum, store, and website have all been updated :anon:
  29. volund Member

damn, I was in SD last year around comic-con time, I missed you fags somehow :(

I'll try to send some funds your way when payday rolls around.
  30. NotSoAnon Member

OK, very good! Thanks for your future presence at this event!:)
  31. anonym0us Member

FUKKEN [strike]SAVED [/strike]DONATED!
  32. V for Anon Member

6 people donated USD 525.00 so far. I am impressed with the generosity.
    Even though my budget is pretty tight atm, I'll contribute USD 20.00
    and promote this locally.
  33. Snake Member

Let's hope this isn't as much of a failure as it felt last year.
  34. Anonymous Member

Buuuurrrrrnnnnnnnnnn

But I concur. We need to do more than put cards on a table, and pass out stuff near the entrance. There is so much going on during comic con. Most stuff passed gets ignored for a bit. We need to attract attention.
  35. Snake Member

SD has enough attention whores. I'm sure they can figure out how to get Nagi's cosplaying fetish to work with Daft's banana and a Wiimote.
  36. Fuckeye Member

Do it as well as last time. Then do it better.
  37. Anonymous Member

The regual attention-grabbing partying, dancing and general faggotry is going to take place outside of the convention grounds, while the advertisement and the approved freebie table goodies will take care of the inside. So feel free to go outside the convention for a few minutes and join in the partying.
  38. DaftAnon Member

maybe we can get you into some fishnets and bee costume with glitter.
  39. webkilla Member

this is so epic! PREPARE THE TROLL CANONS!
  40. Anonagi Member

You best be joking nigger.