Customize

Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golden Age of Protest, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Experts slam Malaysia’s struggle to chart MH370 crisis

Criticised for contradictory statements, slow reactions and a lack of information, the "incompetence" of Malaysian authorities in communicating effectively during a crisis on the scale of its missing jet is painfully evident, analysts say.

With the search for flight MH370 now swinging away from the original zone, the airline and the government are accused of floundering as they face increasing demands for clarity.

"They have not experienced anything of this magnitude. It's a bit difficult for them to grasp the scale," Shukor Yusof, aviation analyst at Standard and Poor's Capital IQ, told AFP.

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has issued more than a dozen statements to the media since the disappearance, including the full flight manifest, details of the search and rescue operation, and offered support to families while authorities have given regular briefings.

The airline has also offered to fly relatives to Kuala Lumpur to be closer to the search and has made 31,000 yuan (RM16,439) available to the family of each missing passenger.

Some experts in public relations said the airline was doing its best in unprecedented circumstances.

But Yusof said the authorities had at times appeared "abrasive" and "flippant", while airline representatives had seemed "lacking in contrition" which belied poor staff training for crisis situations.

"This is an extremely serious tragedy and it has to be treated as such... I think communication has been very poor," he said.

By the way, the Malaysia ruling coalition, in power for over 50 years, has already used the MH370 tragedy for political gain.

HOW DOES UMNO RESPOND TO MH370? Teresa Kok accused of blaming Muslim terrorists in 'FAKE QUOTE'

DAP's Seputeh MP Teresa Kok has lodged a police report over a fake quote attributed to her on social media in relation to the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines' (MAS) flight MH370.

In her police report, Kok said she was falsely attributed a quote which blamed Muslim terrorists for the loss of the Boeing 777-200.

The quote read: "Who can deny it if I were to say the incident of the missing MH370 was perpetrated by Muslims terrorists - YB Teresa Kok, Seputeh MP".

"According to investigation by my colleagues, the post is suspected to have started from the Facebook page of "Kami sokong DAP diharamkan seumur hidup" (We support DAP to be outlawed forever).

"It was later circulated in other places," said Kok who lodged a police report at the Petaling police station this afternoon.

Kok said she has not made any statements about the MH370 incident since it was first reported in the media.

"The posting contained a false statement that has tarnished my image as a member of Parliament and caused me to be criticised.

"I hope the police will investigate this matter seriously," she said.

Flight MH370 which was bound for Beijing disappeared from radar at 1.30am yesterday after taking off from Kuala Lumpur.

At writing time, at least 22 aircrafts and 40 ships have been mobilised to locate the Boeing 777-200 but nothing has been found yet. -Malaysiakini
  2. Malaysian Airline pilots SRSly flirting with female passengers, inviting them inside the secure cockpit from takeoff to landing, wanted their hotel details.

Also,

M'SIA SAT ON INFO! Vietnam says it told M'sia MH370 had turned back on Saturday itself

Vietnam said on Wednesday that it had noticed that the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 had turned back towards the west last Saturday and had informed Malaysian authorities the same day but received no response.

The revelations, reported by The Malaysian Insider website, came as the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet swung northwest towards the Andaman Sea on Wednesday, far from its intended flight path.

"We informed Malaysia on the day we lost contact with the flight that we noticed the flight turned back west but Malaysia did not respond," Vietnam deputy minister of transport Pham Quy Tieu was quoted as saying by AFP today.

"We've asked Malaysian authorities twice, but so far they have not replied to us," Mr Tieu said, when asked about a report that the plane had been detected over the Strait of Malacca.
  3. fishypants Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  4. Perfecto Member

Oh wait nothing, they like know you know, they just know . Tom Cruise says so.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Crowdsourcing search for missing MH370 plane overloaded due to high traffic

A crowdsourcing effort to locate the missing Malaysia Airlines plane using satellite imagery overloaded the computer network with an "unprecedented" amount of traffic, the technology company said yesterday.
    The satellite firm DigitalGlobe posted a message on its website saying the system was down.
    "We are working to best handle an unprecedented level of Web traffic and interest in supporting the search," the company said.

"Please check back soon. We have new imagery collections planned for today and hope to make those images available online for the crowd as soon as possible."
    DigitalGlobal activated its crowdsourcing platform Monday in an effort to locate the Boeing 777 that mysteriously disappeared Saturday en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people aboard.
    The company invited volunteers to comb through images from its Tomnod platform of satellite images for clues that may help locate the aircraft.
    DigitalGlobe says it operates "the world's most advanced constellation of commercial imaging satellites" and that after the plane went missing, it activated its emergency system.
    Two of the company's satellites collected imagery Sunday of the area where evidence suggested the aircraft may have crashed into the water – where the Gulf of Thailand meets the South China Sea.
    The DigitalGlobe website posted comments from people offering to help and those frustrated when the system went down.
    Several comments said simply "count me in," while one visitor wrote: "I am a former Navy patrol plane commander. I believe I can tell aircraft debris when I see it." – AFP, March 12, 2014.
  6. Thank Sue we can still Guest Post...

Shahidan defends DCA chief, accuses foreign press of bullying

March 12, 2014

The DCA chief was bullied by the foreign press who asked nonsensical questions, says Shahidan Kassim.

Shahidan KassimKUALA LUMPUR: The Department of Civil Aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman has performed well in handling the missing MH370 crisis but was “bullied” by the foreign media who asked nonsensical questions, said Minister in the Prime Minister Department Shahidan Kassim.

He said although the government was putting a lot of effort to locate the missing MAS jet and provided the public with the latest information, they were still no spared from bad publicity because of unrelated questions from the foreign press.

Azharuddin caused a stir by drawing Italian footballer Mario Balotteli in describing the appearance of the two MH 370 passengers who had boarded the flight using fake passports.

“What did we do that is considered weak?” asked Shahidan.

“The statements were fine but he should not have answered the additional questions.

“The foreign reporters were asking nonsense, He (Azharuddin) was being bullied because of the additional questions that he need not answer.

“He should have just walked off after giving his statement,” he told reporters at the sidelines of Parliament’s sitting.

Azharuddin had been tasked with presenting updates on the plane since it went missing on March 8.
  7. As ifness Member

Those ridiculous foreign reporters asking questions. That's not how things are supposed to work. Harumph.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Local Islamic Witch Doctor at it again at KL International Airport

[IMG]

Ibrahim (seated in background) performing the rituals 'to weaken the bad spirits' under the glare of international media at the KLIA today. - The Malaysian Insider pic by Afif Abd Halim, March 12, 2014.

The bomoh (the Malay word for shaman) who created a stir with his appearance at the KLIA on Monday and made predictions about the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 was at it again today.

Ibrahim Mat Zin, who is known as Raja Bomoh Sedunia Nujum VIP, with the title of Datuk Mahaguru, was assisted by several assistants.

Dressed in lounge suits, they carried out rituals with the use of “Zam-Zam” water, two coconuts, and an “enchanted” walking stick and carpet.

They were show stoppers as a crowd formed to observe them.

"The purpose of the rituals is to weaken the bad spirits so that the rescuers can find the plane if it indeed had crashed," Ibrahim told reporters.

Ibrahim said the rituals were “time tested" and had been used by his ancestors.

He said he was carrying out these rituals on his own, despite earlier reports that he had been invited by high ranking government officials.

On Monday, Ibrahim had gone to KLIA and performed a different ritual at the KLIA entrance that had involved “bamboo binoculars” and a fish trap hook.

He said from the ritual he had carried out on Monday, his eyes started hurting and his vision turned black.

“This meant that the plane was still in the air, or has crashed into the sea,” he declared.

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-c...omohs-must-be-in-accordance-to-islam-1.507063

Responding to the claims by certain quarters that the missing aircraft can be found through the help of Shamans and black magic, Jamil Khir said that Muslims should not trespass the boundaries set by the religion even when they intend to help.
    "We understand that a lot of people are anxious and everyone is trying to lend a helping hand but we must also be careful.
    "The best that ordinary citizens who are not involved in the search and rescue exercise of the flight should focus on is to continue praying and providing emotional support for the family members of the victim.
    "It is not right to resort to Shaman and black magic because this can easily take us away from resorting to Allah's help in this matter," he said after attending the 35th National Al-Quran Hafazan ceremony in Shah Alam Auditorium here.
    Yesterday, a shaman claiming to be able to locate the missing MH370 jetliner had offered his expertise to help the authorities in the search.
  9. White Tara Global Moderator

“This meant that the plane was still in the air, or has crashed into the sea,” he declared.

Yes, its probably in one of those two places :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Elves. You are leaving out Elves.

This Islamic Witch Doctor is a cousin of a senior government official, although I can't remember which one at the moment.

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-c...omohs-must-be-in-accordance-to-islam-1.507063

"Datuk Mahaguru Ibrahim Mat Zin, also known as Raja Bomoh Sedunia Nujum VIP and 1Malaysia Corporate Bomoh had claimed that the missing aircraft was hijacked by elves."
  11. White Tara Global Moderator

Elves! how'd i miss that hilarity. :p
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ‘VIP Bomoh’ at KLIA ridiculed

[IMG]
    The antics by self-styled Raja Bomoh Sedunia (World Shaman King), Ibrahim Mat Zin at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) drew brickbats and ridicule on the social media.
    “Oh my God, Why are you embarrassing us Malaysians more with your crazy antics? Whose brilliant idea is it to have bomohs in coats with coconuts??? Real bunch of clowns la,” said Facebook user Nurlina Husin.
    On Sunday, Ibrahim pulled a stunt, showing him using bamboos as binocular and looking into a fish trap, in order ‘to locate’ the missing MH370 flight.
    The shaman claimed that the plane was ‘being held in a land inhabited by elves’ and he was doing everything he could to ‘free’ the aircraft.
    Today, Ibrahim brought several other assistants who sat on a mat and portrayed an act of diving on the sea.
    One man is seen carrying two coconuts up and down, in an attempt to ‘break the barrier in the land of elves’ to free the aircraft.
    Popular satire Facebook page, Malaysian Gags poked fun at Ibrahim’s antics, even putting a panel showing Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak and wife, Rosmah Mansor leaving the country for the nonsense spewed by Ibrahim.
    “I feel so damn embarrassed to call my self Malaysian anymore.. sigh,” said commentator Vincent Tan.
    Responsing to Tan’s comments, commentator Muhammad Aiman said that what Ibrahim was doing had nothing to do with Islam.
    “There is something wrong with the bomoh. Please do not misunderstand Islam,” he said.
    Fellow Muslims were not amused by Ibrahim’s stunts, saying the authorities should put a stop at the shaman’s antics.
    [IMG]“This charlatans antics is making Malaysia a joke at the international arena. Where is the minister in charge of Islamic affairs?” asked Amy Aleesya.
    Another commentator Nash Tahir said,” Why are there so many stupid people in the country? This is what happens when you don’t go to school.”
    Another satire site, Pusat Aduan Haiwan 1Malaysia questioned the absence of Muslim NGOs, as Ibrahim was using nonsensical rituals that undermines Islam.
  13. Twinkle Member

Elves my arse, it was the Easter bunny.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. tinfoilhatter Member

Is this guy being serious, or is he trolling the government?

There was a scandal in Malaysia a few years ago, when a christian wanted to change her ID card from Muslim, to Christian, and the government would not let her. This was not popular amongst the general population.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/184579-once-a-muslim-forever-a-muslim-malaysia/
    Note, the above sight is not the best dox, but i don't have the time to scour the internet.

Anyway, a lot of people in Malaysia are upset at the government.

another article about the "shaman"

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/missing-ma...mpur-airport-performs-rituals-coconut-1439957

Look at that guys face. I do not think he is being serious.

Anyway, serous moonbat or troll aside, this guy is giving me some awesome ideas for protesting scientology.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Oil Rig Worker: 'I Saw the Malaysia Airlines Plane Come Down' | Mashable

An oil rig worker working off the south-eastern coast of Vietnam claims to have witnessed the crash of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane.

In a email sent to his employer, which was acquired, confirmed, and then shared by the ABC journalist Bob Woodruff, the man says, "I believe I saw the Malaysian Airlines plane come down. The timing is right."

Continued at http://mashable.com/2014/03/12/malaysia-airlines-370-search-area/

Also: https://twitter.com/BobWoodruff
    • Like Like x 4
  16. tinfoilhatter Member

We need to change your name to either the "informant" or rumor control.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/

This explains why the Vietnamese are searching east instead of south. Maybe they got the message, but haven't said anything yet to avoid getting people's hopes up.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous Member

Sans comment...

Air Liner Prayers.jpg

Moar Praying Indonesdia-Plane-Search.jpg

"Indonesian Air Force crewmen of a Boeing 737 "Surveiller" maritime patrol aircraft of the 5th Air Squadron "Black Mermaids" pray prior to a search operation for the missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 that will be conducted the Strait of Malacca, at Suwondo air base in Medan, North Sumatra, Indonesia, Wednesday, March 12, 2014."
    • Like Like x 1
  18. RavenEyes Member

Who wrote "The Langoliers", a story in one of his books.
  19. RightOn Member

you know that they know that I know.
    you know?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Satellite eying missing Malaysia flight detects 'suspected crash area' | CNN

A Chinese satellite looking into the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 "observed a suspected crash area at sea," a Chinese government agency said -- a potentially pivotal lead into what has been a frustrating search for the Boeing 777.

China's State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense announced the discovery, including images of what it said were "three suspected floating objects and their sizes."

The images in the Strait of Malacca were captured on March 9 -- which was the day after the plane went missing -- but weren't released until Wednesday.

Continued at http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/
    • Like Like x 2
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  22. Twinkle Member

I know because it's like I just know you know?
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  24. laughingsock Member

• Like Like x 1
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

China Releases Images

A combo of three images released by China’s State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense on Thursday and taken on Sunday, show what it says are three large floating objects in an area where missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 vanished from radar.

BN-BW828_0312sa_G_20140312224930.jpg

http://stream.wsj.com/story/malaysia-airlines-flight-370/SS-2-475558/

China: Satellite images may show plane wreckage

• Like Like x 3
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

Malaysia Air Flight MH370: The Transponder Mystery

• Like Like x 3
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Ostrower@jonostrower 10m
    Investigators pursuing notion the 777 was diverted "with the intention of using it later for another purpose."

Jon Ostrower@jonostrower 3m
    A flight time of four additional hours after the 777 disappeared means #MH370 could have flown on for about 2,200nm.

Jon Ostrower@jonostrower 31s
    How far is 2,200nm from #MH370's last known location? That would get the 777 as far as the India-Pakistan border.
    http://online.wsj.com/news/article_...4579434653903086282-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwMzExNDMyWj
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Yeah then they put Balki Bartokomous from perfect strangers in the movie. He thought they were saying cousin Larry was eating the universe behind them.
    Good times
    • Like Like x 1
  30. RavenEyes Member

They've never really done a great job at casting King's stuff, except for Tim Curry. He was brilliant as Pennywise.

lol at Perfect Strangers reference...
    • Like Like x 2
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Vietnamese searchers see no debris at location flagged by Chinese | CNN

Vietnamese searchers reported seeing no sign of debris Thursday when they flew over an area of sea that Chinese authorities had flagged as the location of possible remnants of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

The news appeared to dash the latest hope of finding a lead in the baffling disappearance of the Malaysian plane, which vanished early Saturday while flying over Southeast Asia.

Continued at http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/13/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/
    • Like Like x 2
  32. Anonylemmi Member

9h6ZxX9.png
    • Like Like x 2
  33. RavenEyes Member

34. As ifness Member

35. New York Times weighs in

Amid Search for Plane, Malaysian Leaders Face Rare Scrutiny

Malaysia’s governing elite has clung to power without interruption since independence from Britain almost six decades ago through a combination of tight control of information, intimidation of the opposition and, until recently, robust economic growth.

But worldwide bafflement at the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has challenged the country’s paternalistic political culture and exposed its coddled leaders to the withering judgments of critics from around the world.

Civilian and military leaders on Wednesday revealed that they had known for the past four days, but did not publicly disclose, that military radar had picked up signals of what may have been the missing aircraft. It appeared to be flying on a westerly course sharply off its intended flight path to Beijing.

If the radar readings were from the missing plane, it could mean a radical reinterpretation of where it ended up. And it was only under a barrage of intense questioning on Wednesday from a room packed with reporters who had arrived from many countries that officials acknowledged that the last recorded radar plot point showed the jet flying in the direction of the Indian Ocean — and at a cruising altitude, suggesting it could have flown much farther.

That raised the question of why the information had not been released earlier.

“The world is finally feeling the frustration that we’ve been experiencing for years,” said Lee Ee May, a management consultant and a former aide to a Malaysian opposition politician.

Ms. Lee said she was embarrassed when the country’s defense minister, Hishammuddin Hussein, the scion of a powerful political family, rejected a reporter’s assertion on Wednesday that the search for the airplane had been disordered.

“It’s only confusion if you want it to be seen to be confusion,” Mr. Hishammuddin said at a news conference that unfolded before an international audience.
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

Officials Dispute Report That Malaysian Jet Kept Flying For Hours | NPR

Just a few hours after a stunning report from The Wall Street Journal — headlined "U.S. Investigators Suspect Missing Airplane Flew On for Hours" — the officials in charge of the investigation say that story's central premise isn't true.

The last data received from devices installed in the Rolls-Royce engines of the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 that disappeared on Saturday were transmitted at 1:07 a.m. local time, . That would be a little more than 30 minutes after Beijing-bound Flight 370 took off from Kuala Lumpur. The minister, Hishammuddin Hussein, appeared at a news conference with the airline's CEO.

If the Malaysian official's account is correct, then the underpinnings of the Journal's story are knocked away. The newspaper reported early Thursday that:

"U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.

"Aviation investigators and national security officials believe the plane flew for a total of five hours, based on data automatically downloaded and sent to the ground from the Boeing Co. 777's engines as part of a routine maintenance and monitoring program."

Continued at http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...port-that-malaysian-jet-kept-flying-for-hours
    • Like Like x 3
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

US Officials Have 'Indication' Malaysia Airline Crashed into Indian Ocean | ABC News

US officials have an "indication" the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner may have crashed in the Indian Ocean and are moving the USS Kidd to the area to begin searching.

It will take another 24 hours to move the ship into position, a senior Pentagon official told ABC News.

"We have an indication the plane went down in the Indian Ocean," the senior official said.

The official said there were indications that the plane flew four or five hours after disappearing from radar and that they believe it went into the water.

Continued with video at
    http://a.abcnews.com/International/...irline-crashed-indian-ocean/story?id=22894802
    • Like Like x 2
  38. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  39. DeathHamster Member

I know what happened to the plane: Someone planted a Bomoh onboard.
    • Like Like x 3