Customize

Letter to LGBT organisations

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by endCOSsoon, Mar 26, 2008.

1. endCOSsoon Member

Letter to LGBT journalists and organisations

Here is a first draft of a letter I am planning to send out to LGBT magazines and organsations in the UK.

I would be interested in hearing people's opinions. Particularly my use of quote 3, a Co$ friendly one.

2. A Nonnamus Member

Re: Letter to LGBT organisations

Dear Sir or Madam:

I would like to draw your attention to a recent claim that the Church of Scientology attempts to "cure" homosexual behaviour.

Canadian author Ian Halperin posed as a gay actor to research his new book. A recent quote reads:

"When I told them I was gay they told me that they could de-programme my homosexuality though a technique called auditing and that was one of the first times that they admitted on record that they could do that."[1]

Mr Halperin's story appears to be corroborated by those of ex-Scientologists themselves. Recently, Kendra Wiseman, daughter of a prominent Scientologist, has related this story[2]:

"The first and last time I ever kissed a woman was at a private party. Silly me – I kissed her in front of a [Scientology] member who, predictably, went home and immediately wrote a full-length report on what she had seen, and sent it to my senior and my parents. I was disciplined for this at work, and cautioned against this behavior at home. And lemme tell ya, there's nothing more embarrassing than your boss and your dad reading a full blow-by-blow of your one and only lesbian experience."

On the other hand, what gay Scientologist Keith Relkin has to say[3] in 2000 clearly contradicts the aforementioned statements:

"... What's more, Scientology has the most iron-clad, non-discriminatory policy I've ever come across regarding sexual orientation."

Also of note is Michael Pattinson, who has the following[4] to say based on 24 years' membership of the cult:

"Being gay, even when only in thought, is incompatible with ... being a Scientologist at all."

There is clearly a controversy here that is of interest to the wider LGBT community. I for one would appreciate it if your were to give it your attention.

Yours,

somebody.

Very nice! :applause: I made only slight punctuation changes. The Co$-friendly quote serves to balance things out and to highlight your point that there is indeed a controversy.
  3. A_nonchalant Member

Your collection of quotes is delightful. However, you're missing the big one. Gays are below a 2.0 on the tone scale, and therefore are all automatically SPs.

-------
    L. Ron Hubbard, the Founder of the Church of
    Scientology, wrote:

"The sexual pervert (and by this term
    Dianetics, to be brief, includes any and all
    forms of deviation in dynamic two such as
    homosexuality, lesbianism, sexual sadism,
    etc., and all down the catalog of Ellis and
    Krafft-Ebing) is actually quite ill
    physically."
    ------
    L. Ron Hubbard and the Church of Scientology have also
    determined all of the behavioral characteristics (beyond mere
    sexual preference) of "perverts" such as homosexuals. In Science
    of Survival, Hubbard established a "tone scale" for classifying
    individuals and evaluating human behavior. See generally
    _Science of Survival_, Book One, Chapt. 1. The tone scale ranges
    from -3 at the bottom (death), to +4 at the top. See id.
    "Perverts," such as homosexuals, fall at 1.1 on the tone scale:

"At 1.1 on the tone scale we enter the
    area of the most vicious reversal of the
    second dynamic. Here we have promiscuity,
    perversion, sadism, and irregular
    practices."

-------
    According to the Church of Scientology, gays and other
    "perverts" are dangerous in the extreme:

"People on this level on the second
    dynamic are intensely dangerous in the
    society, since aberration is contagious. A
    society which reaches this level is on its
    way out of history, as went the Greeks, as
    went the Romans, as goes modern European and
    American culture. Here is a flaming danger
    signal which must be heeded if a race is to
    go forward."
    --------
    According to Hubbard and the Church of Scientology, given
    this danger posed by homosexual "1.1" "perverts," society is
    faced with only one choice:

"No social order which desires to
    survive dates overlook its stratum 1.1's.
    No social order will survive which does not
    remove these people from its midst."
  4. anon617 Member

This thread is just starting to heat up!

This has a potential to become a really powerful angle for us.
  5. endCOSsoon Member

Thanks for words of encouragement and for highlighting the information about the tone scale. I did consider this material for inclusion in the letter but there are few problems with it. I'll try and outline my choices.

The first two quotes in the draft are from the last three months and, as such, the sources can be contacted for an interview. By contrast the material above dates from the first edition of Dianetics, i.e. the 50's. The only place a journalist will go for comment is the COS itself where they will probably be told something like this:

It's policy statement from '67. Someone unfamiliar with the issue might take it at face value.

Finally, it also takes time to digest the information in your post fully. In that light I think it is more appropriate for an article rather than a brief letter seeking to attract attention to an issue.

Bearing in mind the need for succinctness I chose what you see in the letter.

[1] http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_scie.htm
    [2] http://www.bernie.cncfamily.com/sc/gays_and_scientologists.htm
  6. DH1900 Member

You might want the full quote:
    "Being gay, even when only in thought, is incompatible with being on staff, and also with being a Scientologist at all."

Or you may be accused of quote mining.
  7. adorableSP Member

Thanks for doing this. I strongly suspect a lot of people in the LGBT community don't even know about this aspect of Scientology - they just know the wacky cult stuff that most people know. I feel pretty confident that you'll get attention on this one, as one as you can verify the information and have it stick (which it sounds like you can.) Good luck!
  8. jargonbot Member

I really like your letter. ;) Attention grabbing right off the bat. It shows the controversy well and quickly. I see win.

But I wouldn't assume the person reading the letter is ignorant about Co$. LGBTQ orgs are more than familiar with people claiming to 'cure gays,' so there's a small possibility that they already know.

Maybe a "I wonder if you are aware of this" somewhere in the letter?

Also, a short intro sentence about where you stand on the issue would not be out of place (it would probably even be welcome). Something like:

- I have always found the concept and practice of ‘reparative therapy’ for LGBTQ people to be harmful, discriminatory and homophobic in the extreme, and I believe it is crucial to know which organizations claim to ‘cure gays.’ -

What do you think?
  9. GooD Member

Maybe even a plea for them to possibly make a statement to the press or pass this letter and supporting evidence on to others that could make a statement
  10. endCOSsoon Member

Thanks to everyone for this blast of encouragement. Here are my replies.

Given the positive response this thread has received, I will propose a campaign to the community shortly. The nature of the campaign will be just that.

Good idea, however I'm going to add it to the closing paragraph. I'm trying to grab a busy reader's attention with the facts. I also believe that this is better style since the quotes are more relevant than my personal opinion.

Given my ideas about style I've rejected this idea since I think it will break the flow of the letter.
  11. endCOSsoon Member

And the revised text of the letter:

12. anonyme Member

Personally I think it's also worth mentioning L.Ron's attitude to his own gay son and his son's consequent 'suicide'.
    I think approaching the LGBT community is a good angle.
  13. jesse Member

There is a also a quote from ubbard (ill try and find where from) in which he calls anyone where he places gays on the tone scale the 'slime of society'.

I know there is going to be more of an lgbt presence at the manchester demo, if anyone cares to join us :)
  14. endCOSsoon Member

It's discussed further up the thread. In short I think it's relevant but I want to keep the letter concise and focussed on current events.

Again, it's interesting but as well as not being current it's difficult to prove the consequent part of your statement.
  15. Re: Letter to LGBT organisations

I'm imagining receiving one of these letters as a representative of a LGBT group. My first thought would be- "So what do you want me to do about it?". I think it would be a good idea to just tell them outright about anon and that anon would welcome any support from the LGBT community as we are natural allies against this discriminatory organization. Perhaps we could shoop up a LGBT flier to include with the letter and ask them to distribute some in their community spaces. Maybe with some wry innuendoes about the alleged sexuality of Tom Cruise, that'd go down well, I reckon!

We will have problems with the whole fag thing, though. I imagine most individuals who take the time to understand it will be OK about it, but casual observers and LGBT orgs are likely to find it offensive.
  16. avatar2008 Member

Include other bits such as:
    John Trovolta having to hide his homosexuality or bisexuality in Scientology.
    Mysterious death of L.Ron Hubbards supposedly gay son.
    Other ex-scn who joined to be "cured" of teh gay.
  17. endCOSsoon Member

Good point, I'll try and produce another version of the letter of this sort specifically aimed at LGBT orgs.
  18. endCOSsoon Member

Hi folks, I just want to say a few things about the things that are in the letter.

Firstly, it is intended to be a short, succinct summary of this topic, specifically tailored to interest a journalist in this topic. For those reasons I have chosen to highlight the facts that I have based on their recency and the possibility of them being followed up for a quote.

That is why the letter does not cover every single aspect of Scientology and homosexuality. As discussed, the LRH quotes are interesting but the testimony of those with direct experience of Scientology's homosexuality policies are more interesting.

Now a couple of the recent posts contain suggestions which I believe to be misleading. I'll discuss them next.

Per Andrew Morton, Cruise is most assuredly heterosexual. Do not pursue this at all, it is incorrect.

As I understand it the evidence to support this isn't particularly strong. It's also very likely that Travolta will deny or indeed sue if any such accusation is made.

The discussion about this is quite speculative and is probably better to be saved for those that take an interest in the story.
  19. endCOSsoon Member

Please point me to the evidence of this. I think the letter is suitably concise at present but links to further resources from this thread would be useful.
  20. avatar2008 Member

http://www.skinnymag.co.uk/content/view/6635/

More to come. ;)
    I really should start bookmarking.
  21. endCOSsoon Member

On the topic of Quentin Hubbard's death they say

i.e. speculation.

Also, he died in '76 so this isn't exactly Breaking news.

Nonetheless, the article does have useful quotes highlighting LRH's homophobia. This is important information to supply to interested parties.

Maybe a separate project to collate the supporting information is needed. I'm imagining a page long pdf that can be sent as an attachment to the email.
  22. psyborgue Member

When writing a letter to one of these organizations, it's important to point out that the CoS will claim that hubbard cancelled his policies in relation to the second dynamic (scientologymyths.info). They will quote a policy letter (August 11th, 1967) claiming hubbard stated:
    All it did is cancel second dynamic punishments for staff only. What they don't mention is at the bottom of the policy letter it clearly states:
    TL;DR Hubbard never cancelled shit. He simply cancelled punishment for such "aberration" and still advocates "processing" to handle it (which, of course, you have to pay for). It's just like the fair game "cancellation" which, of course, doesn't actually cancel fair game if you read enough.

Link to policy letter here <--Download that... I might have to take it down at some point.
  23. GooD Member

I all ways think it's smart to use a few lines about unlicensed hypno-therapy.
    Trying to talk to people in my town about how crasy the Co$ is, this seems to grab them.
  24. endCOSsoon Member

I did deal with cancellation earlier in the thread. I wasn't aware of this little detail though so many thanks for bringing it up. I wholeheartedly agree that this is important stuff that highlights the duplicitous nature of CO$ policy 'cancellations'.

I still stand by the original content of the letter though. The intention is to present someone unaware of the issue with contemporary, unambiguous and easily digestable facts.

Issues like this require the reader's attention and highlights the need for a separate, supporting pack of materials to deal with them.
  25. endCOSsoon Member

I'm guessing that the angle you mean here is that auditing would be used to 'cure' the homosexual behaviour. Again, this is a detail for a pack of supporting evidence.
  26. endCOSsoon Member

I've thought about this idea a bit more and I think the better tactic is to reword the final paragraph to enquire if the organisation has a policy on the issue. I think that trying to recruit LGBT groups from the get-go might appear a bit off putting.
  27. endCOSsoon Member

Thanks, to everyone who has replied to this thread BTW. Although I've shot down practically every suggestion I think the thread has become a really good resource for this issue.

Just to reiterate, the letter is intended to be as attention grabbing as possible for the uninitiated LGBT reader.

If someone has the time to compile the other, supporting evidence into a separate document it would be really useful.
  28. endCOSsoon Member

Final version ahead of the announcement of Operation: Pink Noise.

Note that when copypastaing this letter you will need to visit the original page to get the correct URL.

29. ukodus Member

Nice letter. A few of us broke off from the Manchester protest and headed to Canal Street, talked to a few people whilst having a refreshing drink... nice to see gender and sexuality politics could actually play a role in the eventual downfall of the Co$.

Want me to bring up this issue with my University LGBT Soc, too?
  30. Succubus Member

Thanks for the letter. I've sent it out to a few GLBT community sites and organizations in my area. I hope it stirs them into discussion.
  31. psyborgue Member

Absolutely. The original content of the letter is fantastic, IMO, but if it doesn't include the bit about the cancellation, they can easily say "we don't do that anymore" and if the organization you're appealing to doesn't have a copy of the Aug 11 1967 policy letter, there is no way for them to call bullshit.

It might be too late now, but...
  32. endCOSsoon Member

33. endCOSsoon Member

My thinking is that if a journalist/organisation is curious enough to ask CO$ about this then they will also ask ourselves and look into any supporting evidence we might supply.

Also the quotes are subsequent to the Policy Cancellation. Even if someone is unaware of its exact contents the fact that this sort of abuse is going on more than 40 years after the event is in itself a story.

Finally the policy letter requires explanation in a way that the quotes do not.

For these reasons I would rather keep the letter as it is to keep is short and to the point.
  34. psyborgue Member

35. A.Non Hubbard Member

I've been looking for this PL for quite some time. I'll probably use it in Daily Source today. Thanks!
  36. lermanet_com Member

I would suggest using the pink triangle as a symbol next to the scientology triangle

and re 'cancelled their policies" - this is SOP for scientology, either cancelled or forgeries.
  37. A Nonnamus Member

Dear Sir or Madam:

I would like to draw your attention to a recent claim that the Church of Scientology attempts to "cure" homosexual behaviour.

Canadian author Ian Halperin posed as a gay actor to research his new book. He describes one encounter with the Church of Scientology as follows:

"When I told them I was gay they told me that they could de-programme my homosexuality though a technique called auditing and that was one of the first times that they admitted on record that they could do that."[1]

Mr Halperin's story appears to be corroborated by the testimony of ex-Scientologists themselves. Recently, Kendra Wiseman, daughter of a prominent Scientologist, has related this story[2]:

"The first and last time I ever kissed a woman was at a private party. I kissed her in front of a [Scientology] member who went home and immediately wrote a full-length report on what she had seen, and sent it to my senior and my parents. I was disciplined for this at work, and cautioned against this behavior at home. And lemme tell ya, there's nothing more embarrassing than your boss and your dad reading a full blow-by-blow of your one and only lesbian experience."

On the other hand, gay Scientologist Keith Relkin speaking[3] in 2000 clearly contradicts both statements:

"... What's more, Scientology has the most iron-clad, non-discriminatory policy I've ever come across regarding sexual orientation."

Also of note is Michael Pattinson, who says the following[4] based on 24 years' membership of the cult:

"Being gay, even when only in thought, is incompatible with being on staff, and also with being a Scientologist at all."

There is clearly a controversy here but I have no doubt that 'reparative therapy' for LGBT people is harmful and discriminatory. I would therefore appreciate it if you could give this issue your attention.

Yours,

Anonymous

[1] Ian Halperin, Hollywood Undercover, Interview

[2] Kendra's Scientology Story Page 3

[3] I'm Here, I'm Queer, and I'm a Scientologist!

[4] Michael Pattinson's Experiences in Scientology, MPES - View from the end of Scientology's the bridge to total freedom

This is very good work, EcosS. Short and sweet, makes your point and then some, well written and documented.
  38. AnonyBee Member

This is excellent, I'm glad to see someone has picked up on this issue and we're taking action.
  39. bugsy25 Member

Top drawer!! This issue is more important in its implications than many realise. Shall we return to the days of electrolysis? What concerns me more is that young men and women who are struggling with their sexuality throughout the world and they can see a 'cure' it is quite frankly disgusting. They are being offered false hope instead of actually being told that there is nothing wrong with the way they are. Any organisation or group that sanctions the seperation of family members on the basis of sexuality is surely a massive violation of human rights. I know I am not mentally ill and I know I need no cure I am certainly sure enough of myself to not allow someone else to tell me how too live my life. Pride!!!