Customize

Let's talk anonymous posting

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by exOT8Michael, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous Member

Re: Let's talk anonymous posting

I think hicks might be a bit gay
  2. Anonymous Member

That is not a nice thing to say, Hicks is a great hetrosexual man.

Amidoingitright?:D
  3. Krautfag Member

Re: If you could change something about WWP...

lol?
  4. Azazel Member

I remember when a certain someone was posting as anon trying to get people to donate to AO posting things like "I just donated $20", "Nice man I just did too".

You can't disagree that this is abuse of Anon posting?
  5. Hicks Member

Sup Azazel, also agreed on the 20$ thing, shit like that is a bit meh I remember seeing it as well.
  6. Krautfag Member

*shrug* IMHO thats a weak attempt at trolling, but I don't really care there.

The concept of "abusing the anonymous name" is just ridiculous though.
    Are we the fucking salvation army or something?

We obviously need to post more gore.
  7. Anonymous Member

maybe if there was a way for users to determine which anon posters were the same ones within that thread, some kind of code perhaps

that ability might help prevent the abuse Azazel outlines
  8. genoramix Member

Moralfaggotry again??? gosh this is waaay too common nowadays on WWP. Anons like to troll. and this won't change with chanology.

we do it fo teh lulz remember?
  9. themadhair Member

Because there are times when posting under a nick is needed. Of course, I’m sure if you had spent more than 4 seconds thinking about it you might have realised that rather than spend more than 4 seconds typing your comment.
  10. themadhair Member

This raises another question. If large swathes of the userbase couldn’t see the problem with this, and genuinely thought these were real comments, then you I suspect anon trolling is the least of your worries.
  11. genoramix Member

....and tits.
  12. Azazel Member

Mod Abuse! :)

Yea, I also remembered we awarded an infraction per every post or something like that. The most recent example and I wont name names here *cough* Wagofile *cough* in the sparrow thread defending his view points via sock.
  13. Hicks Member

I suggest you visit other sites that may catter better to your needs, such as

Anonymous edgy kids club

OMG TROLLIN

R3X's cult

the internet is a free place after all and you are free to leave anytime you want, unlike scientology :)
  14. mirror neuron Member

I'm relatively new here--it was an honest question. I thought the answer might add to the discussion. I've spent a lot more than 4 seconds on this discussion--I'm interested in it.
  15. mirror neuron Member

Some trolling is funny. Some is so distracting that it's hard to follow the thread. The second kind is what's annoying.
  16. anon4eva Member

17. Krautfag Member

Mods, they don't come the old-fashioned way anymore :(
  18. Hicks Member

Funny, coming from such a quality poster as you.

:3
  19. Hicks Member

zW78o.jpg
  20. Anonymous Member

Anonymous posting adds a really deep dimension to the forums that can be used to convey information in several ways that would be hard to impossible with words.

Like letting the weight of the message ride on its own merits instead of having the reputation of a nick influence it, which among other things helps prevent ego-fagging.

As already said, it also helps whistle blowers to inform with more assurance of non-reprisal by foiling being tracked by a nick and then that nick identified to a real person.

And the troll posts are fun. It helps to make obvious those around here who are trying to blend in.
  21. RightOn Member

Anonymous posting is needed for protection, and yes it does get abused.
    Guess the only way to combat the abuse of it is to watch it. Could't tell you anything more technical than that. sorry

And as I said in another post, I like when the avatars change with current news. The TD one was fun. Creepy nun is creepy, but a great showing of solidartiy for Italy. :)
  22. Ann O'Nymous Member

Even if I do not use it, anonymous posting has more advantages than drawbacks, IMHO. Abuses, if any, can be handled by staff.
  23. magster Member

I agree with you as well Hicks, but from what I read on here people are using and abusing the anonymous name with childish crap. It's hard to take a thread seriously when you start seeing the trolling and abuse of the anonymous name, and as I said, I understand the use of anonymous when someone is trying to say something without revealing their original anonymous nicname. But I feel it is being overused in a very childish manner.
  24. OTBT Member

Nope. IMO, outing anyone is bad. Period.

Besides, what would anonymous be without trolls? Sunday school?
  25. Anonymous Member

Agreed. Anonymous posting is sadly missing from many other forums, which could really use it.
  26. magster Member

This is a lot to ask of the moderators on this board. It would almost be impossible to keep up with the usage of the anonymous moniker of trolling/bullbaiting/childish behaviour.
  27. Anonymous Member

There are people on here who rely on anonymous posting for safety reasons. Get rid of anonymous posting or "out" their anon posts and they're gone. I venture to say that the majority who fall in this category are NOT moonbats and, even if they troll a bit, do much to bring the cult down IRL.
  28. mirror neuron Member

Okay, revealing usernames of persistently annoying anonymous trolls was a bad idea that I didn't think out. I take it back--and never meant to suggest outlawing all trolling. I sure am tired of wading through post after off-topic anonymous post, though. I do think that posting anonymously can be abused. Maybe there are other ways of discouraging it.
  29. magster Member

Good point! Admins/moderators should have the means to weed out the anon abusers. It might make people think before posting childish/rubbish posts where important threads are being derailed. How is WWP going to be taken seriously when this is happening far to much here?

Just my opinion.
  30. the_cloak Member

Trolling! On a site started by the chans? Unheard of!

Grow flowers you nice person you. If you can't handle some trolling online, how are you going to handle bullbaiting by scifags IRL?
  31. magster Member

APPARENTLY you missed actually reading my post that you quoted. I am not suggesting getting rid of anonymous posting, I understand the need behind it, but it is being abused.
  32. Anonymous Member

OMG! I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!
  33. Bob Newhart Member

Was this necessary? I consider doing that abuse, an would assume a non-mod would be infracted.
    I would think most considered abuses of anon posting could be handled behind the scenes and after discussion with other mods for a checks and balances sort of thing.
    I''ve posted numerous times in shitpost/moonbat/drunken mode form. Most were not even meant for people on this boards eyes. I was able to make contact with someone who otherwise I wouldn't have been able to communicate with. You can give locations and times and even let the other person know who you are by using codes and secrets and other ways that ONLY that person would know about. It can/has worked. It keeps you under the radar.
    Anon posting is essential.
    Deal with the minor shit behind the scenes.
    System is working fine.
    One persons failpost may be anothers only vital link.
    I think the use of anon posting/PM's/middlemen have not been explored or understood by many here.
    If anything is ever changed PLEASE give a few weeks notice.
  34. Anonymous Member

If I was working in the intelligence department for the Church of Scientology, I would make a database of all nicks and their posts, in the eventually one or more of the people behind these nicks are outted. Than you can go through whatever they wrote and potentially dead agent them with whatever they might have written. You didn't think about that?

So yeah, lets keep the "Anonymous" thing.
  35. Anonymous Member

QFT! ^^^^

Can I get a sekrit decoder ring please, Mr. Newhart?
  36. Anonymous Member

So we are already coward, why do you mind so much us being doubly coward?
  37. Anonymous Member

And? The mods still know who posted using it and can infract accordingly.

The reason it exists is to make it so OSA doesn't have an alias to file all posts under. Some of us randomly post as ourselves and as anon. It throws them off. They like to keep records of all posts made by a certain alias. If they namefag you later and tie you to that, they have a record of all your posts to use against you if possible. Posting as anon eliminates that capability and drives OSA investigators insane.

So if a few people use it to troll, so what? If you are this fragile, you need to go back to growing flowers and enjoying real life with your family and leave the serious (internet) shit to those who can take a little trolling.
  38. Anonymous Member

I know of at least one Anon who has done this, too.
  39. mirror neuron Member

I don't think anyone has seriously suggested doing away with anonymous posting. This is something of a straw man. I think the question is how to deal with it when it becomes derailing.
  40. the_cloak Member

The mods can see who posted. I should know, I've been infracted for taking trolling too far plenty of times when posting as anon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.