Customize

Let's talk anonymous posting

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by exOT8Michael, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exOT8Michael Member

Random awesome avatars drawn from awesome thumbnail album data bank for anonymous posts to which we can add awesome thumbs as we find them, and mods can choose sucky ones too

Nun has to go bye bye.
    All anons forced to have same avatar is boring.
  2. magster Member

Re: If you could change something about WWP...

I would get rid of Anonymous posts, the nun. Anonymous posts pose a trolling problem on WWP. It will drive good people away from posting what they experience or feel. Anonymous on the internet should feel good with their own nicname, not a generic nicname. Why do anons have to hide behind something? There is no reason for anons to hide behind anons. Unless of course the nun prop is trying to troll and inturbulate the rest of the board. Why can't people just post under their own alias's?
  3. BusinessBecky Member

Really? I am not sure if people would leave because of said useless proposition. Maybe there is yet more to be said under the name of a nun who sees fit that the tradition of using said name makes their appearance less so. This lead to additional forms of information gathering that may sometimes helps out, or not. On the other hand the name is not common for the tradition and people tend to post with out legitimizing the name first for their purposes. These purposes should be to benefit the board.

Since the rest of us are bad who stay, I think it is up to the bad and the ugly to maintain the tradition. There are so many places on the internet where the tradition had some more liberal policies that allow for greater collaboration of raid project management. Sister sites could do more to help the traditionalist maintain the name.

It feel mighty wonderful to be alive and speaking with you on the matter at hand. I like to say things sometimes with the name that do not always reflect your point of view. This layered security feature does not really damage the site so terribly. The name helps more than the masks do and give us a degree of tradition that the mafia does not enjoy nor feels good about.

I already told you why.
    That is circular logic.

No. People can post under their own alias. Unless they have socks then yes.
  4. Hicks Member

I hope you like your new avatar :D

Some people (Ie:whistleblowers) prefer to post sensitive information anonymously to avoid harassment from the cult, it has proven effective in many cases. Sadly there will be morons using it for shit no one cares about once in a while, and this includes both trolls and moonbats, but so far it's the best way of doing it we have.

Also ''there is no reason for anons to hide behind anons'' is a pretty strange sentence, you should meditate on that a bit.

Hope that clarifies the need for anon posting for you.

I'll leave the more technical questions to da5id and people who know what they are doing.
  5. magster Member

Becky, you are being a little pussy with your response, sorry. You make absolutely no sense in your response. My argument is that there is absolutely no reason why people on this forum should have to take on a ANONYMOUS(NUN) persona.

Your anonymous name is already anonymous. What part of that don't you get? Unless of course, people like to inturbulate with and hide behind a second persona? I don't get it.
  6. magster Member

Hicks, I do hope that you agree with me about the anonymous (nun) posts, most of them are usually putting other posters down in a very derogatory way. They should be able to do that under their own alias. Why such cowardness??
  7. BusinessBecky Member

What Hick said. It is called layered security. What don't you get?
  8. magster Member

I don't get the cowardliness of it. Your name is ALREADY anonymous, NO?

It is so f'n childish. I can appreciate certain circumstances when someone can't tell something under their forum name, but the childish behaviour that comes in to play and starts playing around with silly dramatic shit is wrong, just my opinion.

people are abusing the anonymous name here.
  9. Anonymous Member

I post anon, because I see no benefit in linking my posts to a common identity - sometimes I am drunk and type daft shit, sometimes (very very occasionally) I post something bordering on transcendental (well, I think so). And sometimes, I try to inject some cryptic and sardonic humour (which no-one ever gets).

Point being, each of my posts stands alone - the ideas are either worthy, or not - but they are baggage free. I far prefer that my thoughts and words are evaluated, rather than that some evaluation of my personality from prior posts affects how my thoughts are interpreted.
  10. Anonymous Member

I would like to add I'm sick of the faggotry with rotating the Anonymous avatar. I had a think about what would be a suitable avatar for permanency, but in the end is probably just best to scrap the avatar completely.

Basically its annoying for regulars (a nun? wtf?), and confusing for newbies.

The Anonymous persona should be as simple, clean, and identifiable as possible.
  11. Anonymous Member

Noooooooooooooooooooo
  12. JohnnyRUClear Member

LEAVE CREEPY NUN ALONE
  13. mirror neuron Member

Posting anonymously allows people to float ideas before publicly committing to them, and in some cases without baggage that may be attached to their chosen name. It lets new people feel less self-conscious and avoids ad hominem attacks. It allows people to post an idea or two without getting involved in a debate, if they don't feel like debating. It protects people who are still in or who are conveying sensitive information, as has been stated. And it's a matter of choice. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.
  14. Anonymous Member

I completely agree with that. I always check the "Make Post Anonymously" box unless I see a reason not to. I don't use it as a protection, but so that my ideas are judged by their content and not by who wrote them.

On topic: I don't see any technical improvements that are necessary.
  15. Fuckeye Member

Shut the fuck up, you whiny bitch.

~ Anonymous.
  16. Hicks Member

As the other thread was steering in this direction, decided to make a new one.

Carry on.
  17. mirror neuron Member

Re: Let's talk anonymous posting

I wouldn't mind if anonymous trolls were outed--otherwise it's a good option for a variety of reasons.
  18. JohnnyRUClear Member

Anonymous without Anonymous. Yeah, that'll happen.
  19. AmandaT21 Member

I have the best solution: Ignore the trolls. It's really not that hard, you do not HAVE to respond to a troll's faggotry or even read the whole thing. If whatever the troll says upsets you, get over it. It's the internet, the right to freedom of expression also means the right to be a total dick. Why even make THIS much of a big deal about it?
  20. mirror neuron Member

Clarification: I wouldn't mind if people who troll under the anonymous avatar had their nicknames revealed. Otherwise the anonymous avatar is a good thing.
  21. timthephoto Member

yeah wat they said ^ Anon posting - it's usefulness outweighs annoyingness

nun will remain imnsho until something more lulzy happenz to the cult. new enturbulating avatar will no doubt one day soon replace the nun.
  22. Fuckeye Member

I think you're missing the point of the anonymous username.
  23. mirror neuron Member

No, I think I'm easily bored.
  24. Hicks Member

Just for the record, being a douchebag and all, I might start outing anon moonbat posters who use it to reinforce their own non anon posts or do the same with socks.

Might happen for trolls who just fail hard and derail otherwise interesting shit. (funny or relevant trolls need not apply)

Does that sound like a good deal everyone?
  25. Incredulicide Member

That notice would probably need to be posted more prominently than #23 in a thread.
  26. Hicks Member

For now I'm just asking everyone that argue about this issue in this thread their opinion about it.
  27. Fuckeye Member

No it wouldn't, it's fair warning.
  28. Anonymous Member

^ What they said.
  29. Anonymous Member

Thirded.
  30. Anonymous Member

Amidoinitrite?
  31. Hicks Member

Yes fuckeye, thank you for the example :)
  32. Anonymous Member

yes
  33. Fuckeye Member

Sad thing is, I could see someone actually end up doing this.
  34. Anonymous Member

Creator of 2ch explains it best:

Q: Why did you decide to use perfect anonymity, not even requiring a user name?

A: Because delivering news without taking any risk is very important to us. There is a lot of information disclosure or secret news gathered on Channel 2. Few people would post that kind of information by taking a risk. Moreover, people can only truly discuss something when they don't know each other.

If there is a user ID attached to a user, a discussion tends to become a criticizing game. On the other hand, under the anonymous system, even though your opinion/information is criticized, you don't know with whom to be upset. Also with a user ID, those who participate in the site for a long time tend to have authority, and it becomes difficult for a user to disagree with them. Under a perfectly anonymous system, you can say, "it's boring," if it is actually boring. All information is treated equally; only an accurate argument will work.
  35. Hicks Member

In theory this is pretty accurate, as long as people don't abuse it for petty shit that even 12 years old could deal with better :p

But I kinda agree with it on a philosophical level...
  36. mirror neuron Member

I'd like it if everyone here could only post anonymously. But not sure it would work given that some threads lately have been choked with anonymous trolling/trivia. For a while I posted without a username, first out of cowardice and later on some kind of principle. Then someone said in pm that posting anonymously inflames paranoia. So I started mostly using my name. I don't know. Maybe depends on what's going on at the moment.
  37. BLiP Member

If that's your argument, you won't mind then if the government listens to your phone calls, opens your mail, carries out random stop'n'search actions, and checks what books you've taken out of the library . . . if you have nothing to hide.

Oh . . . hang on.
  38. themadhair Member

There was an anon-only forum and it failed pretty hard. The current set-up has proven to have the best of both without descending into the faggotry of that, thankfully now dead, anon-only forum.
  39. mirror neuron Member

In an ideal world, I guess. Why did it fail?
  40. Krautfag Member

Are you new here?

Ah, you are.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.