Customize

Leah Remini TV series about how Scientology rips families apart

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 27, 2016.

1. sallysock Member

Great ama. Love these.

karinosa.JPG ot8.JPG
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. sallysock Member

Top of Reddit in 2 hours
    redleah.JPG
    Nice.
  4. Leah Remini reveals Scientology's secrets in Reddit AMA.

Daily Dot: Leah Remini reveals Scientology's secrets in Reddit AMA

http://www.dailydot.com/upstream/leah-remini-takes-to-reddit-to-talk-about-scientology/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Leah Remini became part of the Church of Scientology at the age of nine. It was only in 2013, at age 43, that the Cheers star decide to break off and take another path.

She turned to Reddit on Tuesday and answered questions about her time inside the mysterious church—and Remini did not hold back.

The forum has reached almost 6,000 comments as of this writing.

Some highlights:

[SNIP]

Join the conversation here.

Scientology and the Aftermath premieres Tuesday on A&E at 10pm ET.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
  5. In Scientology and the Aftermath, Leah Remini Strikes Back.

The Atlantic: In Scientology and the Aftermath, Leah Remini Strikes Back

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...-and-the-aftermath-leah-remini-review/509057/

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

It isn’t hugely dynamic as a viewing experience, with a heavy reliance on talking-head interviews, archival footage of Scientology events, schlocky B-roll footage, and basso profundo sound effects to indicate tension. But Remini’s presence is compelling (and frequently wacky), while her outrage at the institution she grew up in seems deeply felt. Among the allegations made by interview subjects in the first episode are statutory rape and emotional and physical abuse. There’s also some analysis of a practice called “disconnection,” in which Scientology forces members to cut off any family or friends who turn against the Church. “I feel a lifetime of responsibility,” Remini says at one point. “I helped to promote this organization, I defended it, I helped people stay in it. I have some making up to do.” While Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath isn’t as intricately reported or as compelling as some of the recent exposés about the Church, it’s a valuable continuation of efforts to shed light on some of its most egregious practices.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *
  6. RightOn Member

SO looking forward to this!
    Congratulations Leah!
    And Thank you!
  7. RightOn Member

The Indies speaking out against this docu-series?
    Are you freaking kidding me?
    1. You are no better than corporate COS trying to silence anything that goes against LRH. You mean to tell me that you have the fucking nerve to speak out against this series even though it may help people who are suffering, trapped and being abused inside the COS?
    This speaks volumes of continuing the mind fuck.
    2. GTFO
    • Like Like x 4
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini Goes In Hard Against Scientology In Her Reddit AMA

By Kimberly Ricci, Uproxx

Quote:

Leah Remini broke free from a lifetime of Scientology (she was a second-generation member of the organization) in 2013 and never looked back. In a series of interviews and a book, aptly titled Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology, the King of Queens star has let her thoughts be known on what many describe as a cult (which carries plenty of accusations of brainwashing, intimidation, and money-draining tactics). Now, she’s letting everything hang out in a special Reddit AMA.

Everything is messier on the Internet, and Scientology knows this. They are very unhappy about all those Xenu campfire stories making it into the public realm, although South Park can claim some credit for that too. Now, Remini takes great pleasure in discussing what many people have suspected (and heard) about her former religion. Here are some of the juicier selections, including what she thought of the famous OT Level III story about volcanoes and disembodied thetans:

CDougyFresh: How much did you pay to the church throughout your time there?

Remini: Millions.

JMeJumps1: Are you still in contact with any friends that are still part of the church?

Remini: I am an SP (supressive person). You are not allowed to be in contact with an SP. I would love to talk to my former friends and see my goddaughter.

MLP-e34-clopper: Do you remember what your initial reaction was upon first seeing the course materials for OT3?

Remini: Yes my first reaction was “Are you all fucking nuts?” and then I looked at my mother and said “What kind of bullshit did you get me in?” My only option was to leave, but at the time my family was not ready to go. The “church” told me I didn’t need to believe it, just do it. And they always pose this question: “Are you ready to leave everything you’ve ever known?”

Welsh_Dragon_Roar: If all Scientology’s secrets were revealed tomorrow, which do you think would be most shocking?

Remini: When you reach the top of The Bridge (OTP 8) you will be told that God is a lie for LRH, and there are more levels ahead, that will cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. There is no end to Scientology.

Legeto: When you were a Scientologist did you ever get any weird reactions from other famous people?

Remini: Weird reactions? No. I got appropriate reactions, “Why are you in this crazy shit?”

Rach_alGhul: How are they able to recruit intelligent people into what appears to be an obvious scam and cult?

Remini: Most Scientologists are 2nd or 3rd generation, they were born and raised into an ideology and have been surrounded and isolated. It is all they know. They are victims. Most of the original Scientologists are all out and have spoken out. Unfortunately, their children were indoctrinated by them …. are still loyal, faithful and have cut off communication due to the policy of disconnection.

Remini is working on a TV series about Scientology, which revolves around how the organization “rips families apart.” This was her experience, and it is an almost universal account from all ex-members (who are also known as Suppressive Persons). You can read more of Remini’s AMA here.

Source:
    http://uproxx.com/webculture/leah-remini-reddit-ama-scientology/
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

‘Leah Remini’ Docuseries Is a Deep Dive Into Scientology’s Dirty Laundry

By Scott Porch, Decider

Quote:

It’s a little surprising that the Church of Scientology has held together as well as it has over the last decade.

The church’s oppressive practices against its own followers and its lavish spending on facilities have been dissected in recent books like Lawrence Wright’s Going Clear and Jenna Miscavige Hill’s Beyond Belief. Alex Gibney’s 2015 HBO documentary Going Clear was a searing indictment of the controversial group and won three Emmys. High-ranking and high-profile Scientologists have left the church and spoken out against it.

But Scientology is hanging in there. The church’s controversial tax-exempt status is intact. It’s still raking in hundreds of millions of dollars from celebrity members like Tom Cruise and John Travolta. The new A&E docuseries Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, though, could hit in a more direct, more sustained way. The eight-part series outlines allegations of physical abuse, blackmail and even rape against church followers, and it has a celebrity face in former King of Queens star Leah Remini.

In the first episode, Remini recounts that she grew up in Scientology and that it was a grounding influence that gave her confidence and a spiritual purpose. After landing guest turns on shows like Cheers and Saved by the Bell, Remini got cast as the hot wife on The King of Queens, which ran for nine years on CBS, many more in syndication and made her a TV star and gave her prominence in the Church of Scientology. She went to Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes’s wedding in 1996, which was treated as Scientology’s royal wedding. (It was held at a castle in Italy.)

Remini saw David Miscavige, the head of the Church of Scientology, at the wedding and casually asked why his wife didn’t make the trip. The Scientology brass, she says, told her she was acting above her rank to ask Miscavige such a question, which sounded strange to her then and sounds strange to everyone now given that Shelly Miscavige hasn’t been seen in public in more than a decade. (Remini actually filed a missing person report with the LAPD shortly after leaving the Church in 2013.)

Remini’s split from the church was very public. She was on magazine covers. She went on Ellen. She talked about it on Dancing with the Stars. Her sister did interviews about it. Remini didn’t just leave; she wanted the world to know why. “I believe that people should be able to question things,” she told People. “no one is going to tell me how I need to think, no one is going to tell me who I can, and cannot, talk to.”

In the three years since she left, Remini has written a book about her experiences — Troublemaker, a 2015 bestseller — has continued speaking out about her experiences, and is now starring in her own docuseries about her experiences and the experiences of other Scientology exiles. “I’m hoping that by doing the show that we effect some kind of change,” Remini says early in the first episode. “I’m going to tell these stories in hopes that people wake up and go, ‘OK, somebody needs to do something about this cult.'”

Remini says the church’s most powerful weapon is “disconnection” — shunning all communication with former members — but I’d say the church’s sustained policy of intimidation has been just as powerful. The church pushes back on nearly all public criticism or embarrassing revelations with public relations and threats of litigation. Journalist Lawrence Wright has talked about how the church sent a team of fact-checkers with 48 binders full of material to New Yorker editor David Remnick’s office to try and stop the publication of Wright’s 2011 investigative piece about the church. Scientology will no doubt push back on Leah Remini, too.

Before the Church of Scientology had even seen the series, it started rebutting it.

As the series goes on, I’m hoping to see more of that Leah Remini — the one in the promo who looks right into the camera and says, “When you stop fucking with people’s lives and families, I’ll stop, too.” In her sit-down interviews in the first episode, though, Remini is anodyne and inert, sitting too far from the camera and looking off to the side instead of directly into it. She’s much more engaging when she’s talking to other former Scientologists with whom she shares a sense of frustration and anger, and I think the series will catch fire or not based on how well she channels that frustration and anger in subsequent episodes.

She certainly has the goods. Leah Remini is loaded with compelling interviews.

Mike Rinder, the former international spokesman for the Church of Scientology who acted as the hatchet man against dissidents like Remini, will be hard for Scientology to explain away. “If the church believed that someone was an enemy and needed to be silenced or destroyed,” Render says, “it was my job and I did it.” Like Remini, Rinder speaks with genuine remorse about ever involving himself with Scientology and says he’s doing everything he can to bring attention to the cause.

There are signs in the first episode of how Leah Remini may function as a docuseries over the course of eight episode. The episode builds toward a Remini and Render committing in a dinner-table meeting to take up the fight, and the scenes from later episodes hint more revelations of specific conduct, on-camera confrontations with current Scientologists, and a conspiracy to stop Remini from making the series.

In both her cause and her series, I’m pulling for Leah Remini.

Source, with A&E video clips:
    http://decider.com/2016/11/29/leah-remini-docuseries-is-a-deep-dive-into-scientologys-dirty-laundry/
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Live blogging ‘Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath’ during its A&E premiere

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, November 29, 2016

Quote:

The press build-up to the premiere of tonight’s episode has been almost overwhelming. Between Leah’s AMA at Reddit and numerous reviews of her show (all but one of which were very positive), it’s been a day of growing excitement.

So we’re going to start a new post for our commenters as we all go through this together. We want to hear from everyone — our lurkers, our regulars, our expert exes, longtime critics, and the rest. Please chime in, and let’s all learn something about Leah, Mike Rinder, Amy Scobee, Mat Pesch, and Bonny Elliott.

See you in the comments!

http://tonyortega.org/2016/11/29/li...ogy-and-the-aftermath-during-its-ae-premiere/

Mike Rinder 11 minutes ago

Thank you all for your support in advance of this show. I hope it does not disappoint. There are always compromises and other factors that enter into a project like this. But you can be sure Leah is doing this from her heart and conviction she can do something to help people she cares about. Not because she had to. I read the Bunker every day, and a lot of comments but don't always get through all of them. But both Leah and I have felt your support and greatly appreciate it.

Look forward to reading your comments.
  11. pillowcase Member

Best day ever. Barret is freed and watching this. 5 min in. So far, like. Go Leah!
    Oh hai Marc.
    Wink, happieface
  12. sallysock Member

Watching and wow this is an amazing thing to see. If someone had ever told me that I would see this day, way back when.
    It's really incredible.
    She is doing good, good work.
    Gtg, watching.
    Happy dance
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I know it's not going to happen but it would be so awesome if they got a recent interview with Debbie Cook on this show. Probably the best they can do is get the tape of her testimony in court - you know, the testimony that got Miscavige to roll over and beg to settle her case after just one day of her on the witness stand.
  14. sallysock Member

Good point. I'd love that.
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

16. Funny that there is an advertisement for a Will Smith movie on here.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. wolfbane Member

Leah nailed it. This will do quite nicely.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

19. The Wrong Guy Member

What Is Disconnection In Scientology? Leah Remini's Docuseries Explores How It Can Change A Family Forever | Bustle

When it comes to Scientology, I knew about SPs and the like, but I guess I never realized how many families can be torn apart because of the religion. Scientology is not exactly known for wanting its secrets to get out, so I have to think it's extremely brave for people like Rinder, Remini, and Scobee to leave the Church, tell their stories, and fight to reconnect with their families. Their quest for family unity overrides all potential struggles ahead.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/197...s-explores-how-it-can-change-a-family-forever

'Once you leave, they'll try to destroy you and your family': Leah Remini slams 'Orwellian cult' of Scientology and claims Tom Cruise once urged her to get Leslie Moonves to kill a '60 Minutes' story on the church | Daily Mail Online
    • Leah Remini spoke about her three-year battle with the church, which began after she made the decision to leave in 2013
    • She says she was convinced to go by seeing the way Scientologists treated those who were speaking out against allegations of abuse
    • 'Once you leave — they'll try to destroy you and your family,' she said
    • Actress also claims the church attempted to use her career to their benefit
    • On one occasion, they tried to put pressure on her to get Leslie Moonves to kill a '60 Minutes' story on Scientology, she claims
    • Remini says they even got actor Tom Cruise to call to persuade her to speak to Moonves
    • The King of Queens star says she believes Cruise has actually been damaging for the church but that he was 'very protected' byScientology
    • The 46-year-old had been a Scientologist since she was a child, and said she now hopes that her voice against the Church can give others strength
    • Her new A & E docu-series airs tonight featuring interviews with people who allege they were assaulted and abused by members of the church
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lie-Moonves-kill-60-Minutes-story-church.html

Leah Remini Claims Tom Cruise Pressured Her To Call Then-Boss Les Moonves To Kill ’60 Minutes’ Scientology Expose | ET Canada

“I got pressure to call [CEO] Les Moonves at CBS to try and get a ’60 Minutes’ report squashed. I got a call from the church and Tom [Cruise] to call Les Moonves and use my influence to squash the story,” says Remini, who left the church in 2015.

http://etcanada.com/news/184695/lea...oonves-to-kill-60-minutes-scientology-expose/

A&E Airs Leah Remini's Scientology Exposé Despite Presure From The Church | Forbes

...the church did not threaten to sue A&E if it aired Scientology and The Aftermath. Nor has it sued Remini, or any of the institutions behind high-profile Scientology takedowns in recent years — including the publisher of Lawrence Wright’s book Going Clear, or HBO, which produced the Alex Gibney-directed documentary based on Wright’s investigative account. In fact, as Tony Ortega, former Village Voice editor-in-chief who now runs the Scientology blog The Underground Bunker pointed out in an email exchange, “Scientology hasn’t sued a media organization since it sued the Washington Post in 1995,” in an attempt to block the publication of the church’s internal documents. “It’s not going to break its streak now,” Ortega said.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenki...ology-expose-despite-presure-from-the-church/

Leah Remini Slams Tom Cruise For Pressuring Her To Get CBS To Pull Scientology Story | Hollywood Life

Whoa! Leah Remini is spilling the tea ahead of her new docuseries ‘Scientology and the Aftermath,’ including how Tom Cruise made her call the president of CBS to get a negative story about the church killed from ’60 Minutes.’

https://hollywoodlife.com/2016/11/29/tom-cruise-leah-remini-60-minutes-segment-scientology/

Ex-Scientologist to Leah Remini: ‘I realized I am rationalizing insanities’ | New York Post

https://nypost.com/2016/11/29/ex-sc...ini-i-realized-i-am-rationalizing-insanities/

'Scientology and the Aftermath' Premiere Recap: Leah Remini Meets With Former Member Who Claims Church Ignored Her Rape Claim | Us Weekly

Leah Remini’s long-awaited docuseries, Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, premiered Tuesday, November 29, on A&E. In it, the King of Queens alum and former member of Scientology spoke to people who have left the religion, but whose families have not. “When I first started filming this show, I thought I would just be documenting stories of families that were torn apart by the Church of Scientology’s policies and practices, but what I uncovered was deeper and darker than I ever expected,” she said.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertain...emini-hears-former-members-rape-claim-w452581

7 accusations from ' Leah Remini: Scientology,' including statutory rape, physical abuse | USA Today

1. Statutory rape went unreported to the police
    2. Scientologists take judicial matters into their own hands
    3. Leader David Miscavige is physically abusive
    4. Letters are written to families so members won’t be reported missing
    5. Scobee was ordered to swarm Tom Cruise with Scientologists
    6. Security guards keep members from fleeing
    7. Members are relentless when encouraging disconnection

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...-scientology-and-aftermath-premiere/94612920/

Leah Remini hits out at Scientology in reddit Q&A | Woman's Day

If you thought her tell-all book was explosive, Leah Remini just sat down for a juicy reddit Q&A and she didn't hold back.

http://www.womansday.com.au/celebri...ts-out-at-scientology-in-reddit-q-and-a-17221
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Washington Post: How Leah Remini is trying to expose Scientology secrets in her new docu-series

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-scientology-secrets-in-her-new-docu-series/

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

Eventually, Bonny became depressed and suicidal without contact with her daughter, and decided to leave the church so they could reunite. “So there, Scientology, don’t you ever break up another family, you bastards,” Bonny says. She turns to the camera. “I know you can’t say ‘bastards,’ but they deserve it.” (Bonny, who had Stage 4 cancer at the time of the interview, died a couple weeks after she filmed the footage.)

Meanwhile, the church of Scientology says there’s no evidence for anything Rinder says he witnessed, and calls Scobee a “pathological liar” who was expelled from the church after “failures to do her job, repeated sexual transgressions and refusals to change her ways.” Although the church will dispute Remini and her show participants every step of the way, Remini is going full-steam ahead with the next seven episodes.

“The church will get exposed,” Remini says. “And I’m not going to stop.”

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  21. RightOn Member

Such a long time coming.
    I was teary eyed.
    Amy's Mom. Wow. So sad.
    I am glad she finally got to say her peace before she passed. RIP Bonny.:(
    Condolences to Amy, Matt and others.

I hope this is just the start of the shit storm and turns into a shit tsunami.
    What will it take for authorities to listen and how are they going to go about taking action if they do?
    I admire Leah's fearless attitude and I hope it is not too hard on her and she can endure this most needed and necessary fight.
    She is accomplishing what so many others have tried to do for years in the past.
    Thank you Leah, don't give up and expose expose expose.
    Tax exemption MUST be taken away!
    • Like Like x 2
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Amy Scobee: ‘Even on her deathbed, my mom was fighting Scientology and disconnection’

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, November 30, 2016

Here’s the meat of the letter that Scientology’s Karin Pouw sent to A&E on November 2 about Amy Scobee. Take note of how vague the accusations are. Scientology never learns. All this does is embolden a media company to expose someone who would write a letter like this.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/11/30/am...m-was-fighting-scientology-and-disconnection/
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Church of Scientology Launches Website to Counter Leah Remini A&E Series.

The Wrap: Church of Scientology Launches Website to Counter Leah Remini A&E Series

http://www.thewrap.com/leah-remini-scientology-church-website-ae-series/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Church of Scientology Launches Website to Counter Leah Remini A&E Series

“Leah Remini has repeatedly disparaged and exploited her former faith for profit and attention,” Church says

Joe Otterson | November 30, 2016 @ 7:04 AM

The Church of Scientology has started a website to counter the accusations made in Leah Remini’s new A&E reality series, “Scientology and the Aftermath.”

The site, which is titled “Leah Remini-Aftermath: After Money,”[1] features the Church’s official statement on the series, which they call “nothing more than a scripted, rehearsed, acted and dramatized work of fiction.”

“Leah Remini has repeatedly disparaged and exploited her former faith for profit and attention through a series of failed publicity stunts, culminating in her reality TV show featuring a cast of admitted liars who to make a buck have been telling differing versions of the same false tales of abuse for years,” the statement continues.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

[1]
    Code:
    http://www.leahreminiaftermath.com/
  24. Quentinanon Member

Meanwhile, the church of Scientology says there’s no evidence for anything Rinder says he witnessed, and calls Scobee a “pathological liar” who was expelled from the church after “failures to do her job, repeated sexual transgressions and refusals to change her ways.”

The cult loves to victimize victims, particularly children who get raped by "scientologists in good standing".

The site, which is titled “Leah Remini-Aftermath: After Money,”[1] features the Church’s official statement on the series,

And that is the goal that Hubbard set for his scientology organization, "make money, make more money".
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 2
  26. RightOn Member

yes, it is beyond laughable that they are accusing someone of going after money when "they are the authorities" of going after money.
    Cue in videos of the people in the orgs throwing money in the air and rolling around in it.
    Or the stories of the COS going after member's bank accounts, inheritances and any other assets they may have.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini's New Scientology Series Is A&E's Strongest Debut In Two Years | Forbes

Excerpt:

The 8-episode series debuted on A&E and earned the highest ratings for a series premiere for the cable network in two years, being the best-received premiere since Big Smo debuted in the summer of 2014. It clocked in at 2.1 million viewers for the debut with half of the ratings, 1.1 million, falling in the coveted 25-54 age bracket. 913K of the viewers came from the 18-49 demographic. Not just successful for A&E alone, the series premiere also ranked among the top new unscripted launches on cable for the season.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alishag...y-series-is-aes-strongest-debut-in-two-years/
    • Like Like x 2
  28. The first episode is so compelling, it's going to be a big hit.
    I mean Jesus, it's unbelievable except the people who were in the Church are telling the truth now. Holy shit. The Pope hits and chokes people. Chokes them! That's not a loss of control, it's murderous. What has this murderous all-powerful man done?
  29. Thursday 12/1/16: Leah Remini is appearing on the Dr. Oz show to discuss how her views on health have changed since leaving the Church of Scientology.

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/leah-remini-scientology-and-aftermath-what-she-has-say-now

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath—What She Has to Say Now
    Airs 12/01/2016

Leah Remini opens up about how her views on health have changed since leaving the Church of Scientology.

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *

• Like Like x 1
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini: Scientology’s new attack has a Katie Holmes angle they aren’t talking about

By Tony Ortega, December 1, 2016

Quote:

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath premiered Tuesday night to the highest ratings for an A&E series debut in two years. The audience of 2.1 million viewers even outpaced the 1.65 million who tuned in last year for the debut of HBO’s 2015 Scientology documentary Going Clear.

How would Scientology respond? Leah says she learned the answer to that as she was doing press for her show in New York yesterday afternoon. “I was just about to go on the Dr. Oz show and they showed me the website,” she told us last night by telephone after she’d landed back in Los Angeles.

She was referring to the website titled “Leah Remini • Aftermath: After Money” that popped up some time yesterday morning. Its main copy is labeled “Statement of the Church of Scientology,” even if the rest of it doesn’t really resemble what the church’s official sites look like. But that connection is pretty obvious once you start reading.

"Leah Remini’s “reality” show, like her last one, is nothing more than a scripted, rehearsed, acted and dramatized work of fiction. She and the other anti-Scientologists in her program have been expelled from the Church for unethical conduct."

We’d recognize that sneering tone anywhere.

When Leah Remini’s memoir Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology came out last year, the Church of Scientology’s response was surprisingly muted. The most the church could manage as return fire was to put out a one-page press release that also sneered at Leah like a schoolyard taunt.

“She needs to move on with her life instead of pathetically exploiting her former religion, her former friends and other celebrities for money and attention to appear relevant again.”

It was nothing like the extensive (and expensive) campaigns the church has waged against Going Clear director Alex Gibney, or against Ron Miscavige and his memoir Ruthless, which came out in May. Gibney’s film was met with full-page ads in New York and Los Angeles denouncing Going Clear as unfair and biased, and Gibney was personally attacked in slick videos made at Scientology’s sophisticated studios. Ron Miscavige, meanwhile, has been hit with months of sleazy attacks on a website that’s clearly the work of the church but contains no identifying information about its origins.

Until yesterday, Leah had escaped that kind of treatment, and it was a bit of a mystery why. But now, Remini has her very own personal attack site, which has been one of Scientology leader David Miscavige’s favorite forms of revenge going back several years.

The website’s main message is very similar to the language in letters that Scientology spokeswoman Karin Pouw was sending to A&E executives for the last few months. (We published one of Karin’s longer exhortations about Leah last week, and then we published the letters that Leah’s attorney sent the church, demanding a retraction and $1.5 million in damages.)

The website also features videos that seem very familiar. One of them is an updated attack on former Scientology spokesman Mike Rinder, calling him a “wife beater.” (Rinder has addressed those allegations at length at his own website.) And another video features Scientology executives taking shots at their former colleague, Amy Scobee, who was the focus of Tuesday night’s episode. Her former co-workers have so many mean things to say about her work performance, it makes you wonder why Miscavige kept promoting Amy for years until she was one of the highest ranking officials in the organization. What a puzzle.

The Rinder and Scobee videos are in the same mold as vids that took aim at Alex Gibney and Going Clear, and they use the same voiceover artist as narrator. She’s Jana Sheldon (who also spells her last name Shelden), and if you’re an Animal Planet fan, you might recognize her distinctive style.

Compare this short segment from one of the Gibney videos with this excerpt from the Animal Planet show Fatal Attractions.

We first learned about Jana’s involvement in Scientology’s smear videos last year and sent a message to church spokeswoman Karin Pouw with some questions about it. She never responded.

But it’s the website’s lead video that we were most interested in. Rather than produce a similar slick Jana Sheldon-narrated video attack on Leah Remini, the church instead has provided a short statement from two Scientologists, Todd and Cristin Woodruff.

<snipped>

As Leah’s auditor, Todd had a very intimate role in her Scientology experience. But Leah wasn’t his only celebrity client.

Todd Woodruff was also the auditor for Katie Holmes.

Katie gamely tried to fit in as a Scientologist after she began dating Tom Cruise in 2005 and then they had their daughter Suri in April 2006. They were then married in a castle in Rome in November 2006, and if you’ve read Leah’s book you know what a critical role that event played in her life.

The complete article, with open comments, is here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/12/01/le...-katie-holmes-angle-they-arent-talking-about/
    • Like Like x 1
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

'Hysterically Crying!' Secret Fallout Of Leah Remini Scientology Special Revealed | Radar Online

Excerpts:

“She has gotten such an outpouring of support. It’s been incredibly peaceful, with nothing but love. People have reached out to Leah and her family saying they are hysterically crying because it touched them so deeply.”

The source said, “People love that someone is speaking up for those that don’t have a voice.”

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2016/12/leah-remini-scientology-special-backlash-claims/

Scientology's attempt to destroy Leah Remini is comical but it won't work | SheKnows

Excerpt:

The docuseries called Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath premiered last night on A&E, and Scientology promptly responded with a website titled Leah Remini: Aftermath — After Money. Ouch, but hilarious.

No matter how comical the title of their site is, it won't work to destroy Remini's reputation. It's bound to be entertaining, though, as Remini and Scientology battle it out via the interwebs. Now this has the potential to be a feud like Twitter has never even seen before.

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainme...stroy-leah-remini-is-comical-but-it-wont-work
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 2
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

Germany:

Leah Remini hat Fragen über ihre Scientology-Zeit beantwortet

http://www.ad-hoc-news.de/leah-remini-hat-fragen-ueber-ihre-scientology-zeit--/de/News/52249133

"King of Queens"-Star Leah Remini rechnet mit Scientology ab

http://www.abendblatt.de/vermischte...r-Leah-Remini-rechnet-mit-Scientology-ab.html

Italy:

Scientology, l'attrice Leah Remini, adepta per 35 anni, rivela alcune verità sull'organizzazione. "Tom Cruise è il messia"

http://www.huffingtonpost.it/2016/12/01/scientology-leah-remini-verita-tom-cruise_n_13348058.html
    • Like Like x 1
  34. ZeroC Member

Thought the first episode was really good. Having 8 in total will hopefully put a lot of high quality content out there. Educate more people about Scientology.

The awareness I see nowadays, people's knowledge on the bullshit the CoS engages in, is phenomenally higher compared to back when this all started in 2008 and has just never stopped growing.

It's fucking great that the ball keeps rolling.

To kill it out right would never have happened. Cash reserves are too high and a few Scilons will always regroup into a boardroom somewhere. But the organism is dying, and I for one, crack open a beer every time I see something like this come out.

Never fails to put a smile on my face. Fuck you, Scientology.

Fuck you. :D
    • Like Like x 2
  35. ZeroC Member

*goes to get beer*
  36. Would happily crack one open with you, ZeroC (where you been?)

With the number of high-profile exposés also increasing exponentially since 2008, the same tired old dead-agent tactics look ever more shabby and threadbare, if that were possible.

- (William Caxton's summary of Aesop's Fable "The boy who cried wolf").

Shabby, threadbare cult is shabby and threadbare - and knowen for a lyer.
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology Dead Agents* Itself

By Mike Rinder

Quote:

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, scientology wasted no time rolling out a whole new website of smear after the premiere of Leah Remini: Scientology and The Aftermath. Because of this, Thursday Funnies have taken a one week hiatus while I comment on this latest development from the fevered mind of Miscavige.

Cleverly (?) titled Aftermath: After Money (no doubt Miscavige got a kick out of that, probably thought it up himself, laughed at his own cleverness and his sycophants all laughed along with him) it announces in its headline what has come to be the hallmark of scientology’s “Dead Agent”* efforts: They accuse everyone else of what they do. Starting right with their “clever” title.

Hey there Scrooge McDuckavige, do you know that docuseries like this are done on a shoestring budget — absolute peanuts compared to a network sitcom? If Leah was interested in making money she would be doing what she has very successfully done in the past, making a sitcom. Or if she really wanted to be rolling in the dough she could start a tax-exempt charity that claims to do good around the world, produces staged fundraising videos, hands out gauche statuses and gaudy trophies and then sit on the piles of money her team of vultures fundraisers extracts. Sound familiar?

The other hallmark of a scientology “Dead Agent Caper” is to absolutely ignore what is being exposed (see definition of Dead Agent below – scientology cannot do anything not covered in policy written by L. Ron Hubbard). Never respond. Just pretend the rapes, broken families and destroyed lives don’t exist and ramble on about what poor victims you are and how terrible people are exposing your putrid, diseased underbelly.

Continued here: http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-dead-agents-itself-2/
    • Like Like x 2
  38. Quentinanon Member

"But it’s the website’s lead video that we were most interested in. Rather than produce a similar slick Jana Sheldon-narrated video attack on Leah Remini, the church instead has provided a short statement from two Scientologists, Todd and Cristin Woodruff.
    As Leah’s auditor, Todd had a very intimate role in her Scientology experience. But Leah wasn’t his only celebrity client.
    Todd Woodruff was also the auditor for Katie Holmes."

So much for the "ecclesiastical" "priest-penitent confidentiality" of scientology.
    • Like Like x 1