Customize

Laws failing against cult brainwashing, says MP

Discussion in 'Senator Xenophon And Scientology' started by Anonymous, May 23, 2010.

1. AnonyVix Member

Re: Laws failing against cult brainwashing, says MP

for "activities" read "behaviours".

As per, I am open to suggestions. I've being racking my brains on this one, maybe I need to research the French law more, parle vous Frances?

I think one reason the French don't abuse their laws too much is that they respect their citizens more; the French people have a habit of showing their displeasure and woe betide the authorities who rile the French people too much. (La Revolution and all that).

Of course this is just my outsiders' impression. I don't trust our lot though since they have a history of introducing laws for one thing like terrorism and using them for something else like enforcing school catchment area guidelines.
  2. Random guy Member

Sorry, old ratty computer with no mouse and a cursor that sometimes has it's own life.
  3. AnonyVix Member

Bands, yes I like bands - well some bands but not that Juliette Lewis one... I digress and sorry for picking on your obvious typo - I'm sure I'll make one in the next post or two.

There are trading standards regulations in place in the UK that deal with exactly what you are saying. Sometimes they get applied, sometimes not but this is more to do with the crap policing, real police don't police trading standards etc.

Two areas of law need tightening in the UK. Trading Standards and street traders / pedlars.

Also the policing of these laws needs to be improved because you can never find the right authority to deal with street trading when you need them because they all work office hours being local council and their "eyes and ears" on the street, a selection of Police Community Support Officers, tend not to do anything without instruction.
  4. mirror neuron Member

I don't think getting rid of charitable status would solve the problem either. I think it's the biggest single action that is realistically available at this time.
  5. JohnnyRUClear Member

<3

Does punching someone in the gut kill them? No(t usually), but it's a great step in the right direction and makes the next step a whole lot easier.

inb4moxonswat
  6. Ann O'Nymous Member

Another aspect is that "get rid of the charitable status" is not very appealing in countries that never gave it in the first place.
  7. Anonymous Member

Sage.