Customize

Latest Posts sidebar block disabled for now

Discussion in 'Site News and Announcements' started by da5id, Nov 1, 2011.

1. da5id Administrator

I'm turning off the "Latest Posts" feature on the frontpage (in the right sidebar) for a bit while I try to debug some database issues. I've noticed that it is the leading cause for page hang when viewing the main page, and I'd like to see how disabling it effects the rest of the site.

For now, please use the "What's New" link in the top menu bar.
    • Like Like x 7
  2. PresidentShaw Member

Okie dokie
  3. amaX Member

WHEN WILL THE LATEST POSTS BE BACK? I'm skeered.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. da5id Administrator

Is it just me, or does the entire friggin site feel faster now?
  5. amaX Member

It's so fast that I can't read it fast enough.
  6. LocalSP Member

I still see the Latest Posts????? What about the problem having to refresh the page when replying to an Anonymous post?
  7. da5id Administrator

you sure you don't mean the What's New page, and not the lil tiny "latest posts" sidebar block on the front page only?

I also just found a fixed a problem relating to the Anonymous account (specifically with 'liking' it's posts), so who knows, it might have fixed that as well.. but since I donno exactly what you are referring to...
  8. Silly433 Moderator

A bit faster here too
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Page loading is definitely quicker now. Might as well leave it this way.

Thanks!
  10. Yes, very speedy and very smooth!
  11. LocalSP Member

Okay it's gone now. Haven't tried the other fixes. I've never had a problem with loading speed with this site but it does seem a little faster.
  12. Anon Gin Member

Da5id, I was wondering.
    Can you fix that WallStreet shit? And also, can you have a quick look at this "Middle-East issue" please.
    And if you have time, I kindly ask you to fix that "beef" we have with the Cartel.
    Thank you.

inb4NYPA : I've tits and caeks.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Anonymous Member

Dear Da5id i ejaculate for no reason can you help.
    It's turning my life into a living nightma...ugh ugh ohhh.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

It is greased lightning now here...

...and as sorely tempted as I am to post the Grease song here with John Travolta, I think we all can do without that faggotry.
  15. da5id Administrator

I've been running some stats on the site for the last few months to see how many people actually used the Latest Posts feature on a regular basis and it seems to be a pretty small percentage overall.. I'm going to leave it off for the time being as it seems to dramatically improve the overall site health and doesn't provide enough functionality (that isn't already done via the What's New feature) to warrant leaving it.

Hopefully I'll find some time to debug why that query is so crappy, but likely no time soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Anonymous Member

whatever
  17. amaX Member

What did I miss? I took an old lady nap.
  18. theprofitlrh Member

Loading the home page http://www.whyweprotest.net/ in my browser causes the page to "Hang".
    I'm using IE8. This doesn't happen in Chrome or Firefox.
    My progress bar says im loading over 60 items.
    In my v.limited knowledge its all the webfonts that get loaded.
  19. Anonymous Member

Yeah thanks, its definitely loading faster. Especially noticeable when I'm outside using a fairly crappy wi-fi connection. I use Firefox on XP (yeah, yeah, I know, don't give me shit about it).

I haven't noticed any difference when I use hard-wire hi-speed broadband. But on lo-speed wi-fi, big difference in loading front page.
  20. Anonymous Member

You can read?
  21. Anon_Jon Member

The site feels faster, for sure, but why is it that I now have to login every 2 minutes (before, it would keep the lease for at least 20 minutes)?