Customize

Knight and Day opens at numBer 3

Discussion in 'Tom and Katie' started by Anonymous, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Knight and Day opens at numBer 3

This movie won't reach target 1, break even.
    Tom is the PTS responsible for this. He's either an SP himself or he's connected to one. According to L Ron Hubbard, there can be no other explanation.
    IRHO.
  2. DeathHamster Member

He's signed for MI4. (Assuming Paramount doesn't do a "I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.")

Dox for anything else? Yes/No? (If no, then TITS or GTFO.)

Wait. Is he even signed for MI4?
    That's not the same as "We signed him for MI4 and his upfront is $50M with x% of the gross".
  3. Anonymous Member

No.

You miss the point and are simply trolling now. I don't mind playing along though. The point has been stated and restated.

Tom Cruise's influence and popularity are diminishing significantly (insert your own reason why here), leading to Cruise being of less promotional value to Scientology.

That's very simply stated for you. There's much more to it than that, but I've removed nuance and complexity from this explanation in order to ease your understanding.
  4. Triumph Member

See 'Knight & Day' and Save Tom Cruise's Career
    by Alison Nastasi Jun 24th 2010
    See 'Knight & Day' and Save Tom Cruise's Career - Cinematical
  5. Anonymous Member

ITT: that 'ol river in Egypt is runnin' strong.

1. World's greatest actor Tom Cruise's career is just fine, thank you very much.

2. And even if it weren't, Anon had nothing to do with it.

Plus, you're all losers for enjoying his FAIL, even though it's actually winafterwinafterwin.

Thread's lousy with:

1. Cult apologists.
    2. Contrarian debatefags.
    3. TC fanboys?
    4. All the above.
  6. JohnnyRUClear Member

LOL @ the Herrofaggotry ITT.

lrn2trend
  7. Re: Knight and Day opens at numBer 3

congratulations, you've discovered that discussions take place where there are sometimes multiple viewpoints that don't always agree.
  8. Random guy Member

A Fox representative is very much in the "Keep Fox Working" business. You did not expect him to say "We're afraid this film will fall hard on it's ass" before it has even opened in Europe, even if that is what he feels? Honestly?
  9. Re: Knight and Day opens at numBer 3

You forgot 5. Lousy trolls.
  10. Anonymous Member

Exactly what I thought about this... "We absolutely are excited about having Tom Cruise star in this movie," is how Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore put it Tuesday.

You're not going to say anything negative while Cruise & co has a project out there.
  11. Anonymous Member

Worth pointing out that "Salt" had a weekend opening haul of over $36 million, creaming "Knight and Day's" opening weekend grosses of about $20 million.

So you have Angelina Jolie, in a film that was originally put together for TC (which he passed on), having a much bigger debut than him on his supposed "better" project.

Hey Tom, how does it feel to be beaten by a chick?
  12. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Oh Hai Herro!

Let me say this again in big letters so you get the point:

[SIZE="7"]Tom Cruise can no longer just depend on his name ALONE to sell a picture. He needs to focus on better scripts.[/SIZE]

Is his career dead? No. However, if he keeps on getting shitty scrips, there isn't much of a future. Look at John Travolta. How well is his career? Is it due to Scientology that both suffer? Probably not. However, Tom's remarks and actions have caused a lot of people to have a negative opinion of him. Like Big Beard said earlier ITT - Some are pissed at him and his remarks of Brook Shields. Some are pissed at his batshit insane actions... All of which can be Scientology UNrelated.

Now, the movie itself has tanked officially. However, all this means is that it choked on some dicks. Period. This hardly will kill his career... Tom, with his moon bat shit actions be it Scientology related or not, is doing a fine job killing his own career.
  13. Anonymous Member

Looks like money returns are getting better.

screenshotu.jpg

This looks to me like they will be able the get the production and advertising money back, at least they might not loose money. Still a very poor performance and not good for Cruise's place in the industry.
  14. RightOn Member

I expect to see this in the discount store soon, just like I saw Valkyrie shortly after it came out.
  15. Anonymous Member

pics, for the lulz?
  16. RightOn Member

no can do, that was a long time ago, and did not have a camera with me ATT :(
    There was a whole stack of them
  17. Anonymous Member

As far as TC is concerned, how the movie ultimately performs is not as important as how it opens. TC's $20 million salary is theoretically considered "insurance," based on his supposed ability to draw a crowd. That's what studio execs look at when they're considering a star like TC. It doesn't matter if the movie goes on to outperform "Titanic," if it opens weak and finishes strong, that success is attributed to the film itself and not the star.

It's already a difficult environment these days for Hollywood A-listers, who are under considerable pressure to continue to justify their large up front salaries (never mind profit participation), which is part of the reason that Studios are looking for what they think of as proven commodities (remakes, sequels, comic book adaptations) that don't rely as heavily on big stars to draw audiences.
  18. Joe Blitz Member

For perspective; what a hit movie looks like:

Inception (2010) - Box Office Mojo

Inception:

Domestic Total as of Jul. 25, 2010: $143,663,000 (Estimate)
    Release Date: July 16, 2010

Production Budget: $160 million

Grade This Movie
    (1596 votes)

Grade Breakdown
    As: 1,429 89.5%
    Bs: 100 6.3%
    Cs: 18 1.1%
    Ds: 9 0.6%
    Fs: 40 2.5%
  19. Anonymous Member

Love that movie, but keep in mind that it will still have to make it's marketing budget back before the studio sees a profit (which it no doubt will).

You have to give the studio credit for greenlighting such a smart and risky film when everyone else is pretty much producing crap.
  20. Anonymous Member

The studio only gets about half of the total box office gross. The other half goes to the theatres who show the film. The studio and distributor(s) pay 100 % of the P&A (prints and advertising) which averages about 34 million per feature but can go as high as 100 million or more.

So far, the film has grossed only 160 million worldwide. That's only 80 million back to the studio/distributors who forked over about 151 million (production budget of 117 plus the P&A of a lowball estimate of 34 million), a 71 million dollar loss as it stands to date.

For a popular feature film, the home market can be expected to double the total domestic BO receipts. It is the only hope for recouping the investment made in "Knight and Day".
  21. Anonymous Member

Saw it a second time and now I understand it.

Felt pretty good about figuring it all out until I realized my 14 yr old got it the first time, lol.
  22. Anonymous Member

Lol smart and risky? It's a film with Leo DeCaprio in the lead role and directed buy the guy who did the Dark Knight. There was nothing risky about it.
  23. Anonymous Member

After opening weekend in the the UK, the last of the big international markets:
    It looks like the Fox executives weren't right about the overseas box office either.

Luckily, Tom has found a way to keep Paramount execs off of the phones to the (re-)casting agents for now. He's working for scale on MI Four and Paramount has taken a partner to finance the film which is budgeted at 85 million.
    Paramount, who spent 150 million on MI III and 200 million on Iron Man 2, wanted a partner for an 85 million dollar budget.
    Tom Cruise working to "Scale"! (08.08.2010)
  24. Anonymous Member

That financial partner is the son of Oracle's Larry Ellison, with Oracle ties to Scientology as has been pointed out on ARS.