Customize

kendra's scientology story (ESK)

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by indeedindeed, Apr 2, 2008.

1. indeedindeed Member

Re: kendra's scientology story (ESK)

ok, here are my comments on the fifth bunch of remarks concerning part 4 as put down by albinocat in #77:

agreement
    after slight change

agreement

i like "nicht mehr auf ARS zu posten". i prefer ":", SPs without quotation marks and "da es für die Situation nicht hilfreich wäre". So, the new version would look like this:

Lange Rede, kurzer Sinn: Er bat mich nicht mehr auf ARS zu posten oder irgendeine Verbindung zu SPs zu unterhalten, da es für die Situation nicht hilfreich wäre.

i like seelisch but i also prefer gruppenvergewaltigten as its a bit stronger than "fertig machten" and it's a bit more specific with regards to the methods of the group. Still, "fertig machen" sounds much more natural, so this might be changed later once more. so, the new version would look like this:

Ich würde nicht zulassen, dass Scientology mich isolierte, während sie mich seelisch gruppen-vergewaltigten.

disagreement, beacsue "können" isn't in the original. also "exactly" is there.

disagreement, because i think first draft translation is more direct and closer to wording and style of the original.

agreement
    aftr slight change der Eindruck-> mein Eindruck and . -> :.

agreement

i think "verwirrt" is closer than "irritiert" -i think its mainly about them not understanding and only in the second place about them getting angry at least at this place in the text-, but i agree with "Online-Kritikern" instead of "den Online-Kritikern" and the insertion of "waren". So, the new version -still not optimal i know- would look like this:

Ich glaube, sie hatten beide ein wenig Angst, mich zu verlieren und waren ein bisschen verwirrt, aus welchem Grund ich darauf beharrte, mit Online-Kritikern zu reden.
  2. indeedindeed Member

ok, here are my comments on the sixth bunch of remarks concerning part 4 as put down by albinocat in #79:

agreement

disagreement, because i think "i was not willing" is more determined than "ich wollte nicht". i also slightly prefer "irgendjemandem" for anyone instead of "jemandem", which is closer to "someone" imho, still it sounds a little less natural, but anyway i prefer it because of these reasons.

agreement
    after having added a colon after "zustimmen"

agreement
    after a slight change -taking away the second "ich" and taking away the quotation marks, because they werent in the original either.

i like "Ich stand völlig unter Schock", with the addition of völlig because of so and "Soll ich der Church of Scientology" as its not verbatim but way more natural. i think "zugestehen" instead of "zuzugestehen", which is a mistake from first draft. So, the new version would look like this:

Ich war einfach nicht dazu bereit, diese Wahl zu treffen. Ich stand völlig unter Schock. Ich saß da mit meiner Zigarette, starrte auf das Wasser des Sees und dachte: "Soll ich der Church of Scientology das Recht zugestehen, mir vorzuschreiben, wer böse ist und wer nicht?" Die Antwort war nein.

disagreement, because the remark in brackets is referring to the handling of the financial matters, not to not talking to her again.

disagreement, because "krampfhaft" imo doesnt have the same meaning as "very, very hard", still it may be better and i also think the style shoudl remain. i know its not optimal either, but for now ill stay with the original.

I like "wartete auf die Tränen. Sie kamen jedoch nicht". i prefer the original structure with regards to . and , and i disagree with "füllten", because "forming" is something else, except she meant to write "in a very hollow place" and not "a very hollow place" as i assumed. i prefer "als ich angekommen war", because i think it sounds better in combination with the rest. maybe "dann" is better, but im not sure. i think "wie" is better than "dass". So, the new version would look like this:

Als ich angekommen war, schmiss ich mich auf den Küchenboden und wartete auf die Tränen. Sie kamen nicht, obwohl ich fühlen konnte, wie sie einen sehr hohlen Raum in meinem Magen formten. Dort schlief ich ein.
  3. indeedindeed Member

ok, here are my comments on the 7th bunch of remarks concerning part 4 as put down by albinocat in #80:

I like the separation into different sentences. I think ", was auch immer geschehen würde," should be kept and i prefer "schrieben sie zurück." to "antworteten sie zurück." maybe we take "antworteten sie" without "zurück". i think "gerne" is not best here, because its more of a perceived necessity, i think. so, the new version would look like this:

Ich beschloss, dass ich einfach weiterschreiben würde. Ich schrieb meinen Eltern eine Mail, in der ich ihnen sagte, dass ich wusste, dass sie trotzdem auf jeden Fall, was auch immer geschehen würde, über mein Wohlbefinden informiert werden wollten. Zu meiner Überraschung antworteten sie.

agreement

agreement
    after i changed a few things :)
    I think it is "der Disconnect" and took quotation marks away, because they werenn't there in the original. still, "disconnection" is more easily understandable in english. Maybe i will switch it in the entire text to "die Disconnection". i also prefer the first sentence in the first draft, because its morelike a sort of sighing, even though less "wining like" more in a matter-of-fact style. as i think style should be kept i changed that sentence back to first draft.

agreement

agreement

agreement

good, except for "mit wieder in Scientology anfing". so, the new version would look like this:

Sie wollten, dass ich wieder ganz von vorn mit Scientology anfing und alles neu erlernte.

agreement
    after taking away the brackets.

disagreement, as i think first draft is more in tune with the style, even though it sounds a bit awkward, but imho not that much.

disagreement. your translation is closer to the original and it was what i used at first when i constructed it. but then i came to the conclusion that this: wir werden nicht mehr mit dir reden, wenn du nicht unseren Forderungen nachkommst"-Drohung is too unnatural and so i decided to pull it apart as done in first draft.

agreement much better

agreement
    after having added colons after two occasions of "wütend darauf". im pretty sure there should be colons at those places.

again, i like how you separated it into two sentences. however, i dislike "behaupteten" and prefer "meinten" in this case-which is still different from first draft "sagten". "behaupteten" begs the question if its true, which isnt necessarily the case with "stating", which is more neutral than "claiming" even though i myself use "claiming" sometimes in contexts where "stating" would be appropriate. So, the new version would look like this:

Sie hatten beide darauf hingewiesen, dass sie, wenn sie darum gebeten würden von mir zu disconnecten, es tun würden. Andererseits meinten sie auch, dass sie nicht glaubten, dass ich eine unterdrückerische Person sei.

disagreement. Normally i would agree, but here because of the context of the sentence immediately preceding and for reasons of style preservation i disagree.

good idea, but still i think we need to acknowledge this: " in one of my letters back to them" So i propose "Antwortbriefe". So, the new version would look like this:

In einem meiner Antwortbriefe verwendete ich einen Begriff aus den höheren Levels, und sie ließen mich wissen, dass dies nicht akzeptabel war.
  4. indeedindeed Member

ok, i have begun with the process outlined in the first posting and also somewhere on page 4. phase one. this means all additional contributions will in principle go to the wiki to work on the improved version for later submittance and not to the version that will be sent to ESK in a few days. there will still be the possibility to outline very problematic parts in phase 2 after i will have gone through the text.

there will be a notification in this thread as soon as phase two begins, should happen either before or at april 21st.
  5. indeedindeed Member

phase 2 has begun. please have a look at the text once more with a fresh mind and point out anything you regard as a large problem -what "large" means is written in brackets in the quote below- or if there are any smaller points you are of course welcome as well to point these out as well.

The current version of the text is in quotation boxes in the first four postings of this thread.

there will be a notification in this thread as soon as phase three begins, should happen either before or at april 23rd.
  6. indeedindeed Member

ok, the final day! I'll go over it once more as i've been informed of some -mostly smaller- mistakes.

Concerning any remarks you have and really want to get in before it's send to ESK- now is the last chance.
  7. albinocat Member

Last quick proposal for Page 4 (my internet at home is broken since monday, so I had no chance to work on it):

Es läuft auf folgendes hinaus: Die Church of Scientology hat Verbrechen begangen.

Wenn es etwas gäbe, was ich ihnen jetzt sagen könnte, wäre es dies: Eine Kirche sollte sich lautstark gegen „Disconnection“ einsetzen. Jede Gruppe, die „Disconnection“ als eine Handlungsmöglichkeit für Familienmitglieder ansieht (unabhängig davon, wie sehr es als "letzte Option" angesehen wird) oder Ethikaktionen an Personen vollzieht, die sich weigern von ihren eigenen Familienmitgliedern zu „disconnecten“, verdient nicht eure Unterstützung.

Ansonsten? Ich würde ihnen sagen, dass ich sie liebe. Ich würde ihnen sagen, dass ich wünsche sie hätten mir die Chance gegeben ihnen zu zeigen, dass ich nun erwachsen bin, gut alleine klarkomme und dass ich glücklich bin.

Ich würde meinem Vater sagen, dass ich ihn immer noch für einen ehrenwerten Mann halte. Ich würde meiner Mutter sagen, dass es mir sehr Leid tut, dass wir nicht das beste Verhältnis hatten als ich aufwuchs, aber dass ich mir wünsche, wir könnten noch einmal von vorn anzufangen. Ich denke, wir könnten es diesmal schaffen.

Ich würde meiner Mutter sagen, dass ich mit ihr kochen, tratschen und mit ihr zusammen Descansos Gärten besuchen möchte.

Aber ich möchte, dass jeder, der das liest, versteht, dass es absolut möglich ist, gleichzeitig gegen das Management der Church of Scientology zu sein und meine Familie zu lieben.

CoS is only used one time in the whole text. So better say: Management der Church of Scientology, so we don´t have to explain what the CoS means.

"Sea Org-Mitglied" is used one time in the text, instead we have written "Sea Org Mitglied" without hyphen
  8. indeedindeed Member

thats unfortunate.

disagreement, because I think its an allusion to scientology lingo "x has crimes". in english normally one would say "x has committed crimes". to change this we would need certainty about this point, which I dont think we can get within one day. If we can, that's fine, but until then I won't change it.

agreement to "jetzt" and to "wäre es dies". disagreement to "lautstark dagegen einsetzen", as its not the same as "strongly discourage" and it sounds a little more like it's directed at the outside and not so much referring to a practice. disagreement to the quotation marks once more. It can be understood in a better way in english but still it's Scientology lingo and not set in quotation marks. almost any explanation of terms imho should happen in the glossary which has yet to be translated or terms can be replaced, if we know the german scientolingo equivalent. So, the new version would look like this:

Wenn es etwas gäbe, was ich ihnen jetzt sagen könnte, wäre es dies: Eine Kirche sollte stark gegen Disconnection eintreten. Jede Gruppe, die Disconnection als eine Möglichkeit im Verhältnis zwischen Familienmitgliedern ansieht (unabhängig davon, wie sehr es als "letzte Option" angesehen wird) oder Ethikaktionen an Leuten vollzieht, die sich weigern, von ihren eigenen Familienmitgliedern zu disconnecten, verdient nicht eure Unterstützung.

agreement to change of structure, disagreement to "die Chance" ("a" not "the"), slight disagreement to "nun" because while sounding a bit more natural it also doesn't say exactly the same thing as in the case of it being left out and most importantly it's not in the original. so, the new version would look like this:

Ansonsten? Ich würde ihnen sagen, dass ich sie liebe. Ich würde ihnen sagen, dass ich wünsche, sie hätten mir eine Chance gegeben, zu zeigen, dass ich erwachsen bin, dass ich gut alleine klarkomme und dass ich glücklich bin.

disagreement to "sehr" as i think "really" translates to "wirklich". agreement to "dass ich mir wünsche". disagreement to "wir könnten noch einmal" it sounds more natural, but the usage of "Chance" might remind the reader of why this won't happen. "wir hätten die Chance" implies they dont (because of disconnection), while "dass ich mir wünsche, wir könnten" is not that strong with this regard. we can take a look at this in more detail, but then for the wiki version that will be created later, not for this, which will be sent tomorrow. partial agreement to the last part, I think better is this: "denn ich denke, wir könnten es schaffen". so, the new version would look like this:

Ich würde meiner Mutter sagen, dass es mir wirklich Leid tut, dass wir nicht das beste Verhältnis hatten als ich aufwuchs, aber dass ich wünsche, wir hätten die Chance, noch einmal von vorn anzufangen, denn ich denke, wir könnten es schaffen.

agreement

agreement

agreement

Ok, I'll change it to "Sea Org Mitglied" every time it's mentioned if that's what you mean.

if there is anything else, feel free to mention it.
  9. THINKymous Member

Danke für deine Arbeit. :)

Ich würde einfach kurz vorschlagen, die "ß" durch "ss" zu ersetzen. Dies entspricht der neuen schreibweise und wird auch Schweizern und Co gerecht. Leider hatte ich noch keine Zeit den Rest zu lesen, aber ich werde dies bestimmt nächste Woche nachholen.

Grüsse :anon:
  10. indeedindeed Member

Auch nach der neuen Rechtschreibung muss afaik manchmal ß verwendet werden, nach langen Vokalen.

Verbesserungen sind in jedem Fall willkommen, sie kommen dann - so ist es geplant - in die wiki Version. Damit wird eine neue, bessere Version erstellt, welche später wenn alle Klarheiten in allen Details beseitigt sind nochmal nach ESK geschickt werden kann.

Morgen wird schonmal die aktuelle Fassung -nach den letzten Nachbesserungen- dorthin gesandt.
  11. indeedindeed Member

ok, current version has been sent to ESK.

great news: confirmation by ESK, saying they'll put it up as soon as they can.